Getting audio, no video

Username: Joetflynn

Post Number: 7
VCR tape sounds crystal clear. No video, only snow. When FFw'd can make out video images, though very distorted. Checked all present connections. Brand new DVD/VCR player, DVD works fine. Recommendations? Need more info? Would be happy to provide. Frustrating, thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1687
Audio and no video usually means it needs cleaned. If it's new, return it and get another one. Combos are poor quality, better to buy seperate.

Post Number: 8
Watched a video last week on it, no comprendo, bro! Thanks anyhow

Gold Member

Post Number: 1690
All it takes is a small bad spot in a tape to make the video heads dirty enough to have problems. With a 4-head VCR, 2 of the heads can be dirty and the other 2 can be fine, so a tape in SP may play while one in LP or SLP may not play or vice versa.

Post Number: 9
Thanks, David! Still haven't cleaned it, don't remember where it is, may have to go get one. I appreciate your advice, and will come back to let you know how it went!

Post Number: 10
Thanks again, David. I cleaned the heads and now have a picture, scratchy as it is sometimes. May have to clean it a few more times. I wonder if an old, dirty tape could have dirtied the brand new heads? I appreciate your advice, and didn't want you to think I forgot your words.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1842
A dirty tape is usually the cause. Always store them in cases. The drum the heads are on spins at 1800 RPM, and the heads scan most of the width of the tape, so a small amount of anything that shouldn't be on the tape can easily dirty the heads. Rental tapes are notorious for getting heads dirty. Cleaning tapes don't work very good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us