Archive through September 23, 2004

Username: Kkae

Kissimmee, FL U.S.A.

Post Number: 1
Has anyone seen/bought the JVC HD52Z575?
How is it?

Username: Billw

Just ordered it today. Looks great in the store. Compared it side by side with the 5085w, and it appears to handle satellite feeds better, as well as HD.

I watched some highlights on SportsCenter, and I couldn't see any dithering ( or pixelation ). Looks like a real nice tv.

Also, the store was running a '12%' sale this weekend. Supposedly, you could purchase at 12% over their invoice. I spent $2495, which was over $800 off their sticker.

Should be delivered the first week of August.

Kissimmee, FL U.S.A.

Post Number: 2
Bill: Great! What's the name of this store and where's it?
Thanks for the info.

Username: Billw

Nebraska Furniture Mart in Omaha.

www.nfm.com

800-359-1200

Sales ends 7/27.

Bronze Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 26
Bill- Wow, you lucky dog. As for reviews, there are a few huge threads over at AVS forums with screen shots and different accounts of the set. Everyone seems to really like the set. It does the best on SD compared to the top sets out there and blacks are very good.

The only downfall for me is that there is no smaller size then 52" which is just too big for my space.

Kissimmee, FL U.S.A.

Post Number: 3
Bill: Thanks a bunch.I just called NFM. They are going to find out the shipping cost.

clueless_in_pittsburgh
Unregistered guest
Bill and Kae Fung ... What was your net price. I assume you didnt pay tax Kae? what did it cost to ship ? or Bill do you live in Nebraska? so did you pay tax and delivery fee? what was your final price?

thanks ...

Kissimmee, FL U.S.A.

Post Number: 4
clueless_in_pittsburgh..
A guy, Mark from NFM said that shipping to FL costs $700. Of course, I said no way. I left my contact number for him to find a more reasonable shipper.......I called again and didn't get any answer. I guess I was out of luck.

clueless_in_pittsburgh
Unregistered guest
OK thanks wondering if if the price Bill had didnt include tax or delivery... looks like if it didnt then we should be able to find the same price there abouts online delivered price...

Username: Cluelesspa

Pittsburgh, PA

Kae > I just got the Black faced model 52" from Stereo Advantage. They were good to deal and I at least have been to their retail store, so know that they are legit. They are listed on JVC website as an "authorized online dealer"

anyway, I got the TV for $2,999 shipped and no tax obviously. it is in stock there as well ... let me know if your interested (send me a PM) and I will give you the guys phone number I dealt with. They are in Buffalo, NY.

Pittsburgh, PA

Kae > check your email

Dan999
Unregistered guest
Better picture than any of the DLPs I have seen out there. Sales guy said that this TV can burn in. Is that true at all

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 5
nope check over AVS forum

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=455c4277b7af0d8a33dd84a1b362ce 81&forumid=63

there is more technical conversations on the JVC

Silver Member
Username: Martini

Post Number: 140
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027318&pathId=114&page=3

CHECK OUT THOSE TVs!!! Very impressive and JVC is a better brand name than Samsung

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 8
finally get my JVC 52 LCOS (DILA) TV tomorrow afternoon... white glove service (Pilot shipping sucks, they used logical distribution company to do their white glove svc. and they were screwed up on delivery.) should have had the set in the house by Thurs or Friday last week AND Logical Distribution wouldnt deliver on Saturday !! even though Pilot Shipping website said they deliver on Saturday ...

just be glad when it arrives. now looking at the best way to get HDTV signals. Dish, Cable or OTA

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 10
Well it arrived tonight (monday night) and I did have to tweek it out of the box (reducing picture setting to -13) and cranking up the sharpness setting to +23 (for get which that one is called). Added +2 to color, set all the auto stuff on Gamma, theater , ect.

it looks great... plugged an OTA receiver and watched the Monday night preseason game in HDTV !!! wow you can see the turf... also notice now the cameras field of depth (the crowds are not sharply focusted)...

the all black TV looks great

Username: Alanpgh

Clueless,

I am about to buy a Sony KF-50WE610 LCD Rear Projection unit. Looks very good to me.
But, the JVC HD-52Z575 has intrigued me.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.
It would be great if I could see the JVC somewhere in SW PA?
Also, were you able to take out an extended service policy on this unit?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Alan
Pittsburgh, PA
Please feel free to send me an email directly at:
amandel@city-net.com or alanpgh@aol.com

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 13
I love it .. other then the deliver fiasco ...

I wanted to avoid the color wheel with DLP (one more thing to break), also the rainbow issue with the color wheel some people see.

Plus avoid sound sync issues that the Samsung DLPs are showing....

finally the LCD dont have the black levels or brightness this unit has. I think the LCD can also experience issues with burn in if you use an XBOX or playstation on it...

the LCOS is really a blend of the DLP and the LCD technologies.

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 14
extended warranty was available for 10% of the purchase price from where I bought it but I used my charge card which doubles the one year warranty anyway...

Does the JVC have burn-in or focus problems (RGB focus).
How is the horizontal viewing angle?

Where did you buy it?
Is there a local dealer that can service the unit.

Does it look better to you than the 50WE610 from Sony?

Sorry for all the questions?

I like the size. 52 in. screen and just under 50" wide. What type of stand do you have?

Thanks again,
Alan from Pittsburgh
Alanpgh

amandel@city-net.com or alanpgh@aol.com

Username: Cubsfan

Naperville, IL Usa

I'm a Samsung guy, but I'm tired of waiting for the 5674. I'm planning on buying the JVC this Saturday, does anyone have anymore info on the set? If you own one, are you happy with the purchase? Have you had any problem with stuck pixels? Thanks in advance.

Username: Hyperdoc

Post Number: 9
This one sounds pretty good (picture quality). I will go looking for a view.

Question: Does it have VGA input like the Samsung. I really would like to use the TV as a Monitor and it appears this JVC may not be able to handle.

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 17
no VGA input you will need a VGA to Component converter like from ATI or go direct from DVI on the video card to HDMI with a converter cable. but there is ALOT of overscan so at 1280x720p resolution on your computer you loose the bottom task bar and the as far left and right as the start button....

Sam J
Unregistered guest
Was at Sears last night and the JVC was on display. By far it had the best picture of all (to be fair, the Sammy 5085 was not on display). Three customers were looking at the set when the salesguy started discounting the price. Final price came to $2826 (Good thru 9/10/04). He claims he can arrange pickup at any Sears. Original marked price was $3400+. This is at a Sears near Philly. If anyone is interested, post a message here & I can give you his name & store Phone#. If he can give you this price, I would think all Sears could.

Please send information on salesman's name and store phone number at Sears for the JVC. Not yet on Sears web site, but it must be in some of the stores.

Thanks,
Alan
alanpgh@aol.com

Username: Hdtvrookie

Hi, new guy here! Before anybody blasts me, I did (accidentally) post this message on a different thread. Under the pedestal thread. Sorry.

An introduction. After much research, I stumbled into this forum. It inspired me to join and post my findings on this hot topic:

Just like everybody else, I've been losing my mind trying to find the "perfect" HDTV. And, similarly to alot of you, my two choices were Samsung HLP5085W and the JVC HD-52Z575. Well, I've actually had a chance to see the two side by side at Bernie's.

First, they are both awesome! Can't go wrong with either picture. If I had to, I might give a fraction of a nod to the Samsung. HOWEVER, the set I saw on display displayed the "chinese movie syndrome". Thank you, I'll take credit for that name. Simply put, the audio did not match up with the video...it was fractionally off.

Based on reading everybody elses posts, most of you seem to be as demanding as me. It drove me crazy in the store, I'd probably throw it out the window if it were at my house after spending that much $$$. I'm not sure why this happens, maybe it's the feed from the store. I've heard of this from this forum, and I can confirm it. Has anybody had this problem from their new "Kirks" as you guys put it???

So, for anybody worried about the JVC....DON'T!!! The picture is beyond outstanding. Add (or subtract) the substantial price difference for a bigger screen, and I've found my winner. Let me know your feedback!!!

Thanks for the time!

Bronze Member
Username: Hyperdoc

Post Number: 11
I think the JVC has great picture, but my hangup is no PC input. Heard the sound sync is a source, up convert kind of thing and can be eliviate with properly aligned input (may mean buying something different than you have).

Username: Cpuguru11

Crestview, FL USA

SAM J.
Would you give the name and number of the guy you purchased your JVC from at Sears. My wife and I visited our local Sears today.. but they didn't have them yet. Thanks in Advanced :-)

Darren
southerngent1969@yahoo.com

Username: Vortec

I'm really interested in the 61" JVC HD-61Z575. Around $3348US with free shipping from HypeAudio.com.
http://store.yahoo.com/hypeaudio/hd61z575.html
Has anyone seen it? I'd like the 61" so that any "normal" aspect ratio will be about the same size viewing as my 7yr old 50" Hitachi Ultravision. Thanks for any feedback.

Sam J,

Please email me the salesman's name and Sears store phone number where you bought the JVC.
Or, just let me know which Sears store in the Philly area had these units in stock when you posted your message a few days ago.

Thanks for your help!

Alan
alanpgh@aol.com

Anonymous

I HAVE A JVC 52 INCH AND THE TV IS GREAT. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS IN WIDESCREEN DVD. THE BLACK BARS ON TOP AND BOTTOM WERE BIGGER ON THE LEFT SIDE THAN THE RIGHT. THIS GAVE THE PICTURE A CROOKED LOOK. I GOT A REPLACEMENT ON SATURDAY AND IT TO HAS THE SAME PROBLEM. NOT AS BAD AS THE FIRST, THIS ONE IS ONLY A PIXEL OR TWO OFF. OTHER THAN THAT THIS TV IS AWESOME AND WILL BE KEEPING IT UNLESS THE SAMSUNG BLOWS ME AWAY. I BOUGHT THE JVC FOR 3559 CANADIAN SO THE SMASUNG WOULD HAVE TO KICK BUTT FOT ANOTHER 1500 DOLLARS.

Post Number: 6
Our Sears store in Texas told us that they won't be able to get the JVC 52 or 61 until sears.com shows them as available. Best Buy says the same thing about their site.

Unregistered guest
Sam J,

Please send me the Philly Store's location, I didn't see the JVC at any Sears I went to near Philly.

Thanks,

Ed

edblaw@yahoo.com

Unregistered guest
Sam J,

Please provide the Sears location in Philly and saleman's name.

Thanks,
Lenny20120@yahoo.com

Mt. Weather
Unregistered guest
Sam J,

Sorry, I mistyped my email address. It should be: Lenny20135@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Anonymous

I think the Philly story was just BS

Sam J
Unregistered guest
To Anonymous No BS here! The Sears is located in the 2ed largest mall in the States (so they say) King of Prussia Mall, Pa. Phone # to the electronics dept is 610-962-6457. They will confirm that they are in stock with an advertized price of approx $3400. The salesguy I dealt with last Saturday night(who went on the internet to price-match another store for a substantial discount good till 9/10/04) will be E-mailed to Mr. Weather as soon as I'm done here. Sears advertized price is about $75 less than in two BB stores here.

DaveK
Unregistered guest
Sears in Paramus, NJ has the JVC 52", although it is on a shelf 7 feet off the ground, hard to see the picture under normal living room conditions.

Anonymous

Vortec,

My buddy just ordered the 61" from hypeaudio.com. I'll let you know what I think of the TV and hypeaudio.com when it arrives. I've heard the picture quality of these TV's is much better than the DLP and LCD TV's currently out, but I have yet to see the TV in action myself. I'll also let you know how it performs when hooked up to a PC.

PL
Unregistered guest
Has anyone tried hooking the jvc to a dvi dvd player using an hdmi converter? I am thinking about trying to hook it up to the samsung hd-841 player but would like to know ahead of time how it works out.

Kissimmee, FL U.S.A.

A guy from an authorized dealer of JVC told me that the factory warranty won't be honored if the set was purchased from a non authorized outfit, especially on-line sale. Any truth in it?????

Post Number: 7
anonymous,

I've heard that you cannot hook these JVC's up to a computer. Don't know if it's true. Curious to hear how your friend likes his set and hypeaudio. I'm really interested in using an HDTV set with my computer. I'd also like to get hooked up with Voom when they finally offer DVR's later this fall.

Unregistered guest
Hey Anonymous, where did you get the JVC 52" D-ILA for $3559 in Canada? If you can get it for that, it would be about $1000 better than any set I can find, including the JVC.

Derek
Unregistered guest
I'm also curious about the Canadian dollar price of $3559. I was out looking today in Toronto and the best I saw was $4999?

Bronze Member

Naperville, IL Usa

Post Number: 11
My new 52" Mits 52525 was delivered a week ago and I am very happy with my choice. I was tired of waiting for the 5674 and bought Mits at Tweeter. My opinion is the Mits has the best PQ of all the sets out now, I have not seen the Toshiba, and I like all the extra features it comes with. I will admit that if it is very sunny I have some glare from the stupid front screen, but I can take it off if it starts to bug me. When the set was first delivered it had two small black triangles on the top of the set. Tweeter service came out and showed me the mirror bracket had moved during transit. They were willing to repair or replace the unit, I went with replace and the new, new set will be delivered next Saturday. Having watched several HD movies and Cub games all I can say is wow. If anyone would like more info on this set or has any questions please let me know I will answer them the best I can.

J.D.

Username: Xxxfubar187xxx

Is anyone using this TV with their HTPC? I will be very disappointed if this TV cannot be used with a HTPC.

Anonymous

To Jamie Dobravec: Terrrific picture BUT my unit has a loud fan noise. Is this standard or do I have a bad unit.

Bronze Member

Naperville, IL Usa

Post Number: 18
I think you may have a bad unit. The only time I can hear the fan is when I mute the AVR and listen for it. Have you compared it to other units in the store? I'm having mine swapped out this Saturday because the mirror mounting bracket moved in transit and I can see two black bumps on the top of the screen. Maybe something shifted and is rubbing on your fan. I would call the place you bought it from and see if they can fix or swap the unit.

Username: Carebill

Spokane, WA Usa

Re: the JVC HD52Z575 SELLING PRICE- It might interest those of you with a real interest in buying one to know Sears price matches local store to you. There price match gives you 10% of the difference back to you for 30 days after the sale.
Mine arrives in 7 days

Mt. Weather
Unregistered guest
Earl - Are you still happy with your set? Did you get the 585 (all black) unit? How do you feel about Stereo Advantage? What would you do differently?

Thanks.

tungsten titan
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know the bulb life and replacement cost?

Sam J
Unregistered guest
From JVC Tech services department, there is a built in timer that displays a reminder to order a new bulb after 6000 hrs of operation. This reminder appears for a short time during turn-on. A reset procedure is given after bulb replacement. $250 from JVC parts dept.

Anonymous

I just received 52Z575. I do not have HDTV cable, so I am using digital cable box. I have problem with color, its more greenish. I connected DVD and played Matrix but it looked worse. I tried to adjust but always greenish shade. Does Anybody have this problem? and any solution?

Username: Skinrat

Does anyone know if Sears was able to offer this set at or around $2800? I would like to get the info. for the salesman in PA. if possible as I want to check out the Sears near me.

Thanks,

FP

Username: Carebill

Spokane, WA Usa

Frank,
Sears price here in Spokane WA., was regular $3499.00 but with the always running sale it was 10% down - and an additional employee discount brought it to $2835. I have seen such low prices listed here that if you find $2500.00 where you are, Sears will price match it plus give you 10% of the difference. Around here everybody is at $3500. bucks.

Bill,

Thanks for the info. The advertised prices are similar here also. I was looking for the info from the earlier posts regarding the Sears store near Philly, with the Sears employee saying that the sets could be had for $2800 at any Sears location.

Frank

Sam J
Unregistered guest
Frank
The sales fellow that you are inquiring about works weekends at the Sears in the King of Prussia Mall outside Philly. His first name is Sal Store Phone # 610 962 6457. I purchased my JVC through him last weekend for $2826, with a transfer pick up at a nearby Delaware Sears with no sales tax. I know he works Sat. evenings and all day Sunday. He said he thinks he can do it for this weekend only for that price. I'm picking my set up next Thurs. hoping for the best. Using a Sear's Mastercard and JVC 1 yr. parts & labor I'll be covered fully for 2 yrs free. Sears extended warrenty for 4 yrs total is $600. Too rich for my blood!

Sam J,

Thank you very much for the info. I'm going to try my luck this weekend also.

Frank

Well I did it and finally pulled the trigger. The above info from Sears is no longer valid and may have worked for the other customer but they no longer offer this deal. They DO however offer a 10% discount on all energysmart items and the JVC is one of those items, however it only is applied to the regular and not sale prices, that still puts it less than their advertised sale price this weekend of $3326. The regular price is $3499 and 10% off that makes it $3150 I was able to have a competitor match the Sears price and then give 10% off the difference and with 24mos. of no interest financing. I stil had sales tax but I wanted the longer term financing. Thanks to all of you who helped out with your input.

Frank

Mr. Lynch
Unregistered guest
I just picked up a JVC hd52z585 (black unit) today. Video Only (seattle Wa) had it listed at $3199, but after some talking I got it for $2850 with a 5 year extented warranty, 2 set of component cables and a matching JVC DVD player. I'm running standard cable TV until Monday, but I'd have to say I'm still very impressed. Can't wait for those HD channels though. Playing Xbox is unbelievable too. I looked at the captain Kirk, and the new Toshiba and it was a close call on all 3. I like the fact the JVC is all black, and it was the best deal too. I've read to many problems with the Samsung, and the Toshiba was just too wide for my room. Those speakers on the side killed it for me. I'd have to say my only complaint with the JVC is the fan noise. It is a bit loud, but not distracting. I'll post screen shots soon if people are interested.

Sam J
Unregistered guest
Sorry that they pulled the plug on that Sears' offer. It seemed like Sal (a part-time employee) was the only salesguy that knew how to give that extra discount, it probably was against some company policy & he heard about it from above. Looking forward in hearing your evaluation of the set. Mr. Lynch's deal above {especially with the extended warranty) is the best I've seen so far. I've heard a couple remarks about fan noise on these sets being an issue, but with the quality of the picture dominating the overall experience. Looking forward to your further postings. Will be picking up my unit later in the week (unless I read a bunch of neg. reports in the next few days}!

Mr. Lynch
Unregistered guest
I've had my JVC running for about 3 days now. I had digital cable installed Monday and I have been very impressed with the picture so far. The picture is insanely clear with HD content. I watched a bunch of football and baseball and I have not seen any motion blur and the colors are very bright and distinct. SD content is very watchable too. A few channels look like crap, but I've also seen a few SD shows that are very clean, almost DVD like. I really like how the screen is very bright, full sun coming though the window was no match for the set. I played a few hours of XBox on the set (component cables) and it was crisp, smooth and very responsive. None of the "lag" I noticed on the Sammy 5063 I tried. I'm also not use to the screen size yet, Halo cause a little motion sickness. My earlier concerns about fan noise are gone. It is about as loud as an Xbox, and I don't even notice it anymore. I'd also recommend setting up the TV in a place where you get good ventilation around the back. There is a port hole on the left rear for the fan and it kicks out quit a bit of heat.
For those of you looking for a good deal, go to pricegrabbers.com and printout a list of prices that include shipping. Best Buy and Circuit City will match, and you should be able to get them to throw in an extended warranty. I went back and forth between Best Buy and Video Only to get the best deal. Best Buy offered a $200 gift card, so Video Only added the 5 year warranty and a few goodies for free. I believe the "cost" of these units are around $2550, so you should be able to easily get one for under $3,000 without much hassle.

Ive had the set going now for a few days with a non HD Direct TV connection and the pic is outstanding nonetheless. Yes, you can hear the fan a bit, but it is usually drained out w/the sound and is unnoticeable for the most part. So far I'm very pleased and can't wait to upgrade my Directv receiver. Now it's time to research DVD players, surround, etc.....thanks to everyone here who gave tips and helped me out!

Frank

Sam J
Unregistered guest
Brought home my JVC 52" unit yesterday. Scheduled to get the HD box from Comcast Cable on Monday. Just to check it out, connected the coax directly to the set and went through the initial setup. Had to cut back on the color settings and cut back on the brightness settings. I'm finding it difficult to figure out what "aspect setting " to leave it on while watching standard cable. Each setting seems to have some handicap to it. My old Mitsu. had 5 inputs and you could set the menu up for optimum viewing on each individually and the set would save the settings, don't see that with this unit. When I do get the HD hookup, I expect to run the Vidoe Status select in either STD or Dynamic, now to watch regular cable I have to keep it in theater mode for a watchable picture.
I hooked-up my home theater system to the unit and found one disturbing thing. I was going to use the sets internal speakers as the center channel for my surround sound, but when I turn on the center channel option as shown in the book, I loose my audio output to the amp in both variable and fixed modes. I could be doing something wrong, but haven't figured it out yet.
Before coming to a final option on my purchase I'll wait for the HD installation. Fan noise does not seem to be an issue as of yet on this set. If any of you guys have experienced these issues I have ran into, will be looking foward to your future postings.

Bronze Member

Naperville, IL Usa

Post Number: 26
Just a quick update on my Mits. was able to watch college football and a cubs game in HD yesterday. My wife is afraid I'll never leave the house! The PQ is amazing with this set, I could not be happier. Speaking of happy I want to share my success with the Harmony series of remote controls. I was using the remote that came with the Mits and it worked fine, but my wife and young son had trouble getting used to having to slide the device selector switch to turn on the AVR or other device. With the Harmony I have it setup so all they have to do is push one of the activity buttons and everything turns on at once and starts playing. I know this is possible with a lot of remotes but what makes this better then the rest is the easy to use auto web setup. It took me less that 30 minutes to have every part of my system working including some stuff that only I'll will ever use. If members of your family have trouble with getting all of the devices you have working I highly recommend the Harmony remotes, you can pick them up for under $150.

Anonymous

Does anyone have anything negative to say about this set? I've been shopping for a while and have seriously considered Sony, Sammy, Mits, etc. This set has caught my eye and imagination and am thinking this may be the one. But, I want to know if anyone has anything bad to say about it. What about comparisons between this set and the others I mention?

Mt. Weather
Unregistered guest
Here, here, Anonymous. I am in the same position. I have been waiting for the 5674W since April and have finally given up. In addition, I have heard too many negative comments about audio sync and rainbow. I even have a customer who has a 61 inch HLN and he told me he has an audio sync problem with his. I've always leaned strongly toward Sony, but all they offer is LCD. I ordered the 585 on Sunday from a local dealer, and based on the information on this site, he reduced his price to three thousand. I'm also buying the 4 year warranty for $400. The 585 is the all black one, which I preferred. It seems that JVC does not distribute the 585 to retail chains, only to independent outlets. That's why I went that route. This store does all their own repairs on site. If there's a problem, they come by, pick up the set, take it to their shop, repair it and bring it back to your home. Plus I liked having a more personalized delivery and set up, which is included. The set should be delivered Friday or Saturday. BUT, (and that's a big but :-) if you have anything truthful to say about this set that indicates a serious concern I should have, I would love to hear it in the next day or two. Signing off.

Mr. Lynch
Unregistered guest
I've had my 585 for about 2 weeks now, and I still love it. I had to exchange the set for a new one yesterday because of what looked like a thumb print between the layers on the left side. It was something you could only see during really light colored scenes. It has been there since day 1, it just started to really bug me as of late. It was almost like an air bubble. If you wiped the screen in that area it would crinkle, and the top layer would stick to the layer below it. They happily exchanged it out for me and the new set is perfect. I also picked up the new Toshiba SD-5970 DVD player. It is the first player I know of that has a HDMI output. It upscales to 720p or 1080i, and includes the cable too. It is a perfect match to the TV. I think the retail on it is $249, but I paid $180. I haven't had time to test it out, but I'll post my opinion on it in a few days. I also noticed JVC updated their website and are now showing a new stand for the HD-ILA sets. It is very sweet IMO. YOU can check it out at
http://www.jvc.com/Presentations/HDILA/z585.html
I asked about a price on the stand when I exchanged my TV and the salesman couldn't find it listed anywhere. He said it might be a month before they get the stand in. If anyone know where one can be found I greatly appreciate it.

Mr. Lynch
Unregistered guest
Here's a link to the new Toshiba DVD player with HDMI output. http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/product.asp?model=SD-5970

Kissimmee, FL U.S.A.

I saw the stand in Brandsmart USA in South Florida. It swivels. Price over there is $500 and $450 if you get it together with the JVC.
IMO,it's huge and ugly.

Mr. Lynch
Unregistered guest
Wow, that alot for a stand. I'll stick with my modified $99 Ikea stand. Thanks for the update. I was wondering if anyone was about to buy the JVC 585. I have my reciept for mine ($2670 for the TV, $180 for the 5 year warrantee) that I could post if people want to try to price match. It is from a Major chain here in the Seattle area. NOT an internet site. I'm just trying to help others save money. I hate the huge markup all these stores get away with.

Kissimmee, FL U.S.A.

Post Number: 7
Yes.Mr. Lynch, Please post it.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Does this TV support 1080i HD signals? I only see 720 listed in the product information.

Mr. Lynch
Unregistered guest
The TV is 720p native. Just like all DLPs and most LCD(I could be wrong). It will accept a 1080i signal and convert it to 720p. I think 720p looks alot better though. You get flicker with 1080i due to the interlacing. 1080i only draws 540 lines per 1/60th of a second. 720p draws all 720 lines every 1/60th. It looks alot smoother for sports and any fast moving programs too.

Sam J
Unregistered guest
Have had the 575 now for 5 days. The set is connected to my home theater sound system and is really impressive when viewing HD programs from the recently connected cable box. I found the "standard" settings unmodified quite acceptable. The "dynamic" setting is great in the showroom but can burn your eyeballs out in a modestly lit room at home. What I had problems with was finding a setting that made the 77 analog stations worth viewing. Had to go to the "theater" mode, cut back on the color and increase the brightness so that the skin colors would improve.
Anyhow, Mt. Weather you asked about any serious concerns. In the beginning of the manual they warn you not to display constant patterns due to this type of set can have burn-in issues.
Since I plan only to view dvd's and over the air entertainment, my only concern is that so much material is not in the widescreen format so one has to use the "aspect ratio" enhancer to expand the picture so the bars won't damage the screen. So now your forced to watch a distorted picture on your new beautiful set much of the time. My second concern deals with the $250 light bulb that they say can be seriously damaged if set is shut off improperly (pulling out the plug) due to overheating if the fan does not run for 90 secs after shut off. I live out in the sticks and on windy days it is not too uncommon to have unexpected power interruptions which now can be quite expensive. So my ratings so far are two thumbs-up for HD viewing and DVD playback , C+ for standard TV station viewing.

Anonymous

Sam J

I have JVC unit but I can not make my dvd work in video components mode. Picture is in black & white and greenish color. I connected in regular mode 2 - audio and one video outputs, it works but very poor ptcture. Please advise me how you have connected your DVD. Similer problem with Comcast HDTV Cable box. Box is connected to Input2 and HDTV works great, but when I select regular channel (not 800 series HDTV channel) then picture is same as DVD, which tells me that video compnents connection does not work in the standard Mode. To make it work TV input has to be with Coaxial input and selecting channel 3 for the TV. The other problem of power interruption which you mention, did happen to me.

Thanks.

Mr. Lynch
Unregistered guest
I bought a Backup power supply for my set. They are usually used for PCs, but will work for your TV too. I paid about $40 for it and it will run the TV for about 6-8 minutes before running out of juice. Plenty of time to cool the bulb. It doubles as a surge protector too so your well protected.

Mr. Lynch
Unregistered guest
I have my sales invoice scanned onto my PC but I keep getting error trying to post it. It shows my purchase of a JVC HD52Z585 for 2670.00, and a 5 year extended warrantee for $180.00 If your interested in a copy so you can try to price match just post your email. I hope this helps people avoid getting over charged.

Sam J
Unregistered guest
That back-up power supply sounds like a small investment for alot of peace of mind. As for the problem above from anonymous, initially I would of said to take your DVD player with the cables attached and try to find another set to check it out on. But since you say that your set has simular troubles with your comcast box on non-HD signals using component cables but works great on HD signals leads me to believe there is an issue with your set on component inputs not being up-converted to a 720p signal. Your HD signal from the comcast box should already be set for that so no up-converting necessary.
My DVD player (using component inputs) has almost as good of a picture as on HD sources from my Comcast hookup. The non-HD digital stations (channels 100 on up) have a very good detail and color on the STD setting on the set, but have the bars present that needs to be expanded to get rid of, the analog stations (Chan 77 on down) are a bit grainy on the big screen with too much color present, making the faces looked sunburned if you don't attenuate the color adjustment(best results on theater mode) and turn on the digital noise filter on at least to the low setting. Here is a telephone # to JVC tech support. It may be something as simple as a menu adjustment, or a service call may be necessary. 1-800-537-5722 Press #9 when the voice mail starts its routine. Hope your problems are solved soon! Oh, by the way, I recently connected my comcast box with a HDMI to DVI connector bought at BB. The picture was already great with the supplied component cables, was unable to really detect much overall change with the digital interconnect. I believe I will be returning this cable priced at $119 + tax. Hell it costs more than my DVD player for a hunk of wire with two connectors.

Anonymous

Want to say thanks to everyone for all your comments and words of wisdom. LIke most of you I have been driving myself nuts trying to decide which of these modern marvels is going to provide me with the best PQ for the buck and not give me headaches. Seriously looking at this JVC set and the Toshiba 52HM84. Anyone in SW Pennsylvania interested in these, I found a store in Natrona Heights selling both (they don't actually have the tosh yet) for $2699. Any feedback on the Tosh? Saw it at BB, liked it, only wish these had DVI and HDMI like the Sammy.

Thanks

Mr. Lynch
Unregistered guest
I love the Toshiba 52hm84 and intended to buy that set but it wasn't in stock. I thought both the JVC and the Tosh were the best 2 looking sets around. I mainly went with the JVC because it was not as wide, all black, and they had it in stock. IMO you can't go wrong either way. Toshiba just released a DVD player with HDMI output that works great with either set. It upscales to 720p and comes with a HDMI to HDMI cable. Good luck!!

Mt. Weather
Unregistered guest
Sam J -

Thank you very much for the feedback. It was a bummer to learn that there is a potential burn-in issue with this set. I was led to believe (Earl, August 3 post) that this set was immune to burn in. That was one of the big benefits of DLP, and I didn't think I was giving that up. I guess I should have done more due diligence. My set is scheduled to be delivered between 2 and 4 on Saturday. Thanks again for the info.

BTW, is there any point to getting a DVD player that has upscaling if the TV already does it? Seems redundant. I've even heard that sometimes the upscaling of the player causes problems with the TV upscaling. And it sounds like a component hookup is practically as good as the HDMI, based on your comments. Would this also apply to S-Video?

Mr. Lynch - I'm with you. I loved the look of the all-black 585.

Anonymous

Listen to Earl. There is no burn in issue with these sets. The crystals either allow or block light unlike crts and plasmas which contain phosphors that have uneven wear if watching static scenes or 4:3 with black bars. LCD, DLP, and LCOS are immune to burn in. You can verify this with Robert Harley:Editor-in-Chief of The Perfect Vision.

Godzilla
Unregistered guest
Ok, so I also jumped on the JVC bandwagon and bought the 585 from a local TV outlet. So far just using the internal tuner for programs I'm much impressed with JVC's ability to upconvert. Certainly not HD, but my eyeballs are weak and easy to please. Most DVD viewing looks awsome too. However...... the fan noise is a problem for me. Especially when there are pauses in speech and the room is quite. If I'm within 8 ft. of the set it's "very" noticable and annoying. Maybe it's my set and I've been thinking about exchanging it for another JVC, or perhaps another model. I'm not sure if there's a good way to muffle the sound as this unit needs to cool effectively or you end up shortening bulb life. I haven't heard any other complaints about the fans (there are three of them) on this site so I'm guessing it may just be my unit.

Mr. Lynch
Unregistered guest
I've been using the Toshiba SD-5970 DVD player via HDMI to HDMI for a few days. The picture is outstanding. The colors are a bit more vibrant with the HDMI vs. the component. It also seems to be a little more clear, but not much. I'm glad I bought the player, but it isn't really that big of a difference. Maybe I'm just not as picky as some others. As for the fan noise, I have my set about 2 feet from the back wall so I stapled a 2ft by 2ft square of acoustic foam on the wall behind the fan vent. I didn't block the port, It is about 2 ft behind it on the wall. It really deadend the fan noise. I think of alot of what I was hearing was the fan noise reflecting off the wall. It never was that loud to begin with, but noticable during quiet parts. It is alot better now.

Sam J
Unregistered guest
As for the burn-in issue, there is about 2 pages in the beginning of the manual which details how burn-in occurs. I have found some subjects in the manual that seem more generic than pertaining to this particular set. For ex. they state that this set draws a large amounts of power to operate. Talking once again to the tech support people, the set actually uses 195 Watts and they recommend not showing the same screen patterns for excessive periods of time (7-8 hrs at a time). They state these sets are not nearly as sensitive to burn-in as the older style rear projections.
I have noticed a difference in PQ when viewing a live baseball game, PBS Broadcasts, or the HD Discovery Channels over the normal network broadcasts. The ones mentioned above seem to have perfect color with no digital noise unlike some network HD shows. I also have STARZ movie channel. Have watched several HD movies on it having perfect reproduction on my JVC. This leads me to believe that the set is working as good as I hoped, and most of the imperfections can be just the quality of the broadcasts.

Mt. Weather
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch commented on the backup power supply, which I have also purchased for mine. Costco sells a Tripp Lite (Very Good quality) 1000 VA UPS for $94, with a $200,000 Lifetime connected equipment insurance policy. To my knowledge, Tripp Lite is the only UPS/Surge Protection manufacturer that even cover damage due to lightning strikes. A UPS provides far superior protection vs. a simple surge protector as it more effectively isolates the equipment from the surge. With six outlets, you can plug the rest of your home entertainment stuff into it. Like Sam J, I don't live in suburbia, but rather in the middle of the woods on top of a mountain, with frequent power outages. I have a standby generator as well. Has anyone looked at the Alienware home theater PC?

csommers
Unregistered guest
I have a question on the color of the bars when watching regular tv. One salesman said gray, another black. Can someone please answer who watches regular cable the color of the bars in 4:3 mode? Thank you in advance, Cindy

workindev
Unregistered guest
I had my HD52Z575 delivered this week and I must say that I am very disappointed. First of all, the unit is defective -- the 90 second timer that is supposed to not allow you to turn it back on after you turn it off never times out. Once I turn the TV off, I have to unplug the TV to reset the timer (even if its hours after I last had it on). Submitted a warranty claim, but its been 4 days so far and nobody has been by to fix it.

But even without that problem, the picture is absolute garbage. I don't know if I got a bad apple or not. I don't have any HD sources, just DirecTV hooked up through S-Video and a Prog Scan DVD player hooked up throug the component input. S-Video looks aweful -- I just finished watching a football game where the players were so pixilated that they looked like blobs on the field -- couldn't even make out the jersey number unless it was a closeup. 480p DVD signals look equally pixilated and blurry. In addition, everything has a green tint to it that can't be corrected. I tried adjusting the picture settings, but they seem to have little effect.

Somebody please tell me that I didn't just blow $3k on a TV that looks this bad. Is there any settings I can adjust or do you think I got a bad set?

Mt. Weather
Unregistered guest
Workindev

Installed my new Bose Lifestyle 28 Series II yesterday morning. My 585 was delivered about 5:30 yesterday. Once they set it up I popped Minority Report into the Bose. The Bose has component output and progressive scan. The picture looked horrible. The guy said something must be wrong. I checked the settings on the Bose and saw the Component output was not turned on and neither was progressive scan. Once I changed those settings, the picture looked great. Last night we watched The Matrix, and while the DVD playback was not HD, it was very, very good.

Fan noise was acceptable to me. I really didn't notice it unless there was no sound. After shutting the set off, the fan continues to run for a minute or so, with a light indicator on the front that goes out when it stops. I have had no problem turning the set back on.

Did you buy from a local store or mail order/internet? If local I would ask them what settings you might have missed. Review all settings on your source and on the TV. (If all else fails READ THE MANUAL :-) ) If it's still not right, ask for an exchange right away. I have the same set and have neither of those problems. So far, I am quite pleased with my purchase.

PMT
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch - Read all posts on this site. Have the Toshiba, but returning it for either Sammy or JVC. Trying to decide now. Reg cable has scren door effect on Toshiba. Also too wide for the space. Would like to have copy of your receipt to take to the store. Please e-mail.
PMT3KS@yahoo.com
Thanks

Sam J
Unregistered guest
Had a party Sat. night with about 50 friends and relatives. Turned on the Ten. vrs Fla. game on the JVC using Comcast HD. Even the ladies who don't give a hoot about football were watching and couldn't believe the clarity and the vivid colors being displayed. Had to shut the set off at 2 AM after watching an HD movie on STARZ to end the party. Feel that I got my money's worth with the set! All of the HD viewing was using the STD mode with no changes with the settings. I hope "workindev" gets his problems solved! Have not tried S-video input to the set. Have had success with both Component & HDMI seeing little difference between them.

Username: Dawny99

I too, would like to get the receipt e-mailed to me. Also, now that some time has passed, let's hear more feedback on the picture quality and the 'noise'.

rosen.dl@pg.com

Mr. Lynch
Unregistered guest
I've had my set 3 weeks now and I find myself only watching HD programing. SD broadcasts just look really bad after watching HD. No fault of the TV though. I'm extremely pleased with the set so far. Tonight I will be taking some pictures of the MNF broadcast in both SD and HD and I'll post them up soon. Any suggestions on taking pix of the set? I'm no photography expert so if anyone has expirience with this I'd be happy to hear. I also adjusted my set using the Sound and Vision setup disc, then the power went out and I lost all the settings. The UPS did its job, but now I have to re-adjust everything. I watched football Sunday with the default setting in standard video mode and I thought It still looked really good. When the afternoon sun starting coming thought the window we still had no problem viewing the screen. Saturday I did a little testing with my DVD player. I tried out the s-video vs. component vs. HDMI. The s-video looked like crap compared to component. HDMI was slighly cleaner and smoother, but it wasn't that noticibly better than component. After reading WORKINDEVs post, I tried my cable thur the s-video input. The SD picture was horrible. I'd start reading books before I'd think of watching TV this way. If you can not get a cable/sat box that has component out, I'd recommend sticking with a CRT TV.

Anonymous

csommers:

When viewing 4x3 SD signals in Normal mode, the JVC puts up gray pillar box (I suppose to avoid burn-in). Unfortunately, these gray bars change color and brightness constantly with the picture which is VERY DISTRACTING. Enough so that I returned my JVC after confirming that it wasn't just my set. I also had a terrible flicker when using the S-Vid out from my SD cable box (SA-8000).

Mr. Lynch
Unregistered guest
I've noticed both gray and black bars depending on the source and/or program. I always stretch 4:3 to 16:9 because I hate the bars. I usually use the panaramic mode which only stretches the edges. You get a weird effect sometimes, but I've gotten use to it. I can't wait for the day when everything is broadcast in 16:9. I'm really starting to see that with any of these HD rear projection sets you need a good signal. They all seem to magnify the flaws. I still love my JVC though. My buddy who has a Samsung HLP4663 wishes he could take his set back and get a JVC. He has had nothing but problems with his set.

Unregistered guest
Does anyone have any info on how the JVC D-ILAs compare with Philips LCoS RPTVs?

Mr. Lynch
Unregistered guest
I went to look at the Philips LCoS about 2 weeks before I bought the JVC. The local Fry's had the 55" on sale for $2100. It had to be one of the worst pictures I've ever seen. It has 1 chip vs 3 for the JVC, and I saw alot of artifacts and motion burring when watching SD and a DVD. The colors bleed and we could see alot of "ghosting". I can see why the store was clearing them out. HD signals were a little better, but no where near any of the DLP or LCD sets that were near by. The picture quality was absolute crap when compared to the JVC. Maybe I saw a bad set, or it was just setup wrong but there is no way I could recommend the Philips.

Mt. Weather
Unregistered guest
Anyone have a recommendation of an HD over the air receiver? Cable & Satellite are not available where I am. :-( Samsung seems to be what is available. I'm thinking about model 451 to go with my JVC.

Sam J
Unregistered guest
Enjoyed my JVC for over 2 weeks now. Last night I took a close look at the screen and found (1) pixel not working close to the center of the screen. Can't see it from normal viewing distance, but knowing that it's there is a distraction. JVC says they can repair this situation but a minimum of three pixels must be bad for warrenty work. I'm within 30 days of purchase and can exchange the unit, however you never know if the replacement is new or refurbished. I guess there are more pressing problems in this world other than my malfunctioning pixel!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us