Samsung DLP,Sony Receiver,Denon DVD, VCR Setup

Username: Brownsfan

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Samsung 50" DLP TV. The TV it replaces only had 1 outlet to plug in to. I had the following configuration. Cable Box to VCR. VCR to TV. TV Video 1 to Receiver. All components plug into Receiver. I set up my new HDTV the same way and I get a very plain picture. I only get sound out of my Center console speaker. Nothing out of the satellite speakers, Sub Woofer or front speakers. I didn't expect the same connections I used before to work well for the new TV. The manual doesn't show how to incorporate a Receiver into the mix but addresses each of the other components separately. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Discovering
Unregistered guest
First of all, get a Monster HTS 2000 Surge Protector power strip before you lose everything in a lightning strike. Next, and your not going to want to here this, lose the VCR. I'm sorry, but it's an inferior technology and it's robbing you of picture quality by being in line. You have made a major move up with that DLP set, but remember, garbage in, garbage out. Give that TV the best possible signal you can in a direct mannor. If you don't have digital cable, get it. If you don't have a DVI output or component (Pr, Pb, Y) output on that cable box, see if your provider can offer you a box that does. RCA or coax connections will never give you the signal quality that set deserves. If your provider can't do this, ditch the cable for Direct TV Satelite Service. Buy a Samsung SIR TS360 multi-signal receiver. (has Direct TV capability). This will pick up off-air analog and digital HD local channels too and combine all of them into a single program guide. I have 4 ABC channels, for instance, that I can channel up or down to. The first is SAT, second is off-air analog, third is off-air digital HD, and fourth is Comcast Cable, which I have only because I have Comcast Internet Service. It comes in handy during a real hard rain storm, as the others get a little flaky. My hook-up from my TS360 is component. (Pr, Pb, Y). Yes, I could have used a DVI cable, but on Samsung you lose your tint control if you do. (don't ask why, I don't know). Anyway my picture is absolutely awesome. HD Discovery Channel is fantastic. The Rose Bowl Parade was incredible. A show called "The Ten Best Beaches" was amazing. Water was so wet, I kept a mop handy. If you must record something, record it right so you can watch it right. Your video resolution has jumped to 1080I on that TV, but if you feed it a 280I VCR signal it won't inprove it. Get a good DVR if you must record. Hope this helps. Here's a link to the best prices on SIR TS360's if you decide to go SAT.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?sort_type=price&masterid=2485266& isbn=&pid=

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us