Best HDTV Antenna

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 63
"I would like to get hdtv over the air. Radio shack sells an hdtv antenna. Do I simply plug the antenna into the rf jack on back of the tv? Is it really this simple?"

Well, it's almost that simple. I have a Sony Grand Wega and I get "over the air" signals via a Motorola HDT101 set top box.

HDTV is transmitted in the UHF region, so you will want an antenna that does a good, even great, job of picking up UHF.

Personally, in my location, I have been able to get by with a set of Jensen 'electric rabbit ears.' I receive HDTV signals from 3 different locations, and it picks them all up pretty well without a lot of tweaking.

LoL! I actually went on a quest for the best indoor HDTV antenna. I won't bore you with details of all the 'bad' ones I bought, but the hands-down winner was the Zenith 'Silver Streak'. Here's a URL:

Silver Zenith Sensor Digital HDTV UHF Indoor Antenna - ZHDTV1

Rest assured, you can buy this antenna with confidence. The FCC uses the 'Silver Streak' as their official reference antenna. If it doesn't work for you indoors, nothing will! The only reason I took it back was because it was so directional - a good and bad thing, you know?

Having said that, I'm still not totally satisifed with indoor antennas. I live in what I call a 'Taco Bell' house - Spanish Mediterranean, red tile roofed monster, with 'mud walls', surrounded by wire (needed to hold the Stucco on the side of the house).

I am going to install a 'bow tie' antenna inside the vaulted attic with a rotor when it cools down here. I will be using this combination...

Antenna: Channel Master 4228 UHF TV Antenna 60 Mile

Rotor: Channel Master 9521a TV Antenna Rotator With Remote

This only requires a 20-inch turning radius, so it should be fine in an attic. If that doesn't do it, I'll put it on the roof...:-)

So, there you go... That was pretty "simple", huh?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us