Sony's 70" LCD - KDF70XBR950

Username: Koehler

Post Number: 1
Just bought one of these for Christmas, arriving on Tuesday the 30th.

I have regular Digital Cable, so I understand that 1-99 channels are just Analog.
Where we live, we wont be recieving HD broadcasts for another year or so.

My main question, do you think the TV is worth buying right now...as it will mostly be DVD use b/c I have read Regular TV is horrific, or is that not true?

Thanks so much for the kind help!

Username: Serick

Post Number: 7
I can't speak from experience, but I've read that some standard def channels look decent on these sets, while others look pretty bad. Digital is definitely better than analog, so most recommend satellite over cable since satellite is 100% digital. DVD's should look awesome on this unit.

Most important, the 950 has an internal HD tuner, so you can buy an inexpensive over the air HD antennae and receive local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc.) in HD if you live in or near a metro area. You're right that there aren't many HD stations right now, but the big fish are already broadcasting a lot of shows in HD.

In a nutshell, it is definitely worth buying now and I plan to buy the 60" within the next month or so.

Anonymous

Bought 60" WE610 ~ 2 months ago:
Cable for local (Bresnan has "digital" but no one likes in area) so got analog basic (mostly with cable/modem service)- fair, though movies seem as good as my old DVD

Got Dish HD 811 - HD is frankly awesome, better than showroom (need to reduce overscan settings - contrast, brightness, etc of normal configuration). SD broadcast quite acceptable with rare pixellation/breakup - its really "BIG" so problems become pretty evident quickly! I generally watch in wide-zoom (big screen mode) but Sony handles much better than Samsung.

I thought long hard about XBR version, but don't have local HD feeds (tuner irrelevant). Also, lots of windows to one side, thus daytime ambient light & reflection of XBR became issue!

While you can't get a 70" WE610, I'm more than satisfied and saved at least 2K - if you haven't got it yet, you might compare boxes! Even the 60" XBR is $ 1500 more in my locale, so savings could be significant and with changes everyday, I might 'bank' the money for the future!

Good luck

Username: Fifo111

Post Number: 1
Does anyone have any experience on the Sony 70" LCD? I am considering purchasing one and would like to know what to expect. How has it performed for you? Who has the best price? I thought the Samsung DLP was the way to go but am finding out from eCoustics form, that may not be the case.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us