Toshiba 57HL83 LCOS - shipping?

Username: Mgren

Post Number: 1
Hi all.

I just ordered the new Toshiba 57HL83 - it's their new LCOS model. I ordered it sight unseen (ugh!)...

I know that Philips, etc. are have all sorts of problems with their LCOS models - does anyone know the possible ship date of this TV?

Thanks~! -- This is a great board, I just found it!

Mike

Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 2
Mike,
Apparently these sets are on permanent hold. Where did you order from? We'll see what Toshiba has to say at the CES.
-E

Unregistered guest
The Toshiba Lady said ALL She knew was they were waiting for "Some Chips" ... with no ship Date !!
What is that all about.. Toshiba is pushing me to DLP technology.. The TV is supposed to be incredible from the Limited information I have about Toshiba LCOS..

Sanjeev Tharma
Unregistered guest
Wow you must have blown your wallet on that thing! Id like to see 1080p with my own eyes, must be amazing.

l smith
Unregistered guest
I too am anxiously awaiting the Toshiba LCOS HDTV monitor.....I was sold on DLP and ready to buy until I read about the LCOS technology and read the rave reviews by several audio/video critics...Is LCOS really the "wave of the future" and will evey televison manufacturer eventually have their own version of this technology..........I would like to own a system that will be as "future proof" as possible but the industry is evolving so fast that some of this high priced audio/video equip. will be obsolete before it's paid for.....Any thoughts ????

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
I Smith,
There is a post somewhere in this forum with a link that says Toshiba is scrapping their LCOS sets.
Nothing is future proof. TV technology is improving so fast right now that something newer and better will always be right around the corner. The good new is that there are some really good sets out there right now that you can't go wrong with.
-E

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Try the link
http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html#_Toc62794049
-E

Username: Lsmith

Post Number: 1
Erik K...thanks for that link and the info on the lcos toshiba....this really bursts my bubble....I was in a Best Buy yesterday and some goof ball slaesman said "lcos will be in our showroom in March!!!." I guess Im going to go back and research DLP sets....Do you happen to know any buzz on next generation DLP's and if there is something better around the corner???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
ISmith,
After looking for a year I finaly bought a Samsung 507W DLP about 4 weeks ago. I am very happy with this set. The next gen DLP sets are supposed to be out in the next few months. A lot of manufacturers are coming out with DLP sets. If you can wait a few months, I would do so for one of the HLP series Sammy sets. TI also has a DLP chip on the horizon that will do 1080p. Intel also has described a LCOS type technology announced at CES that they say will be out by the end of the year and be relatively inexpensive.
Anyway, I am pretty happy with the DLP. I do not like LCD. We'll have to see about LCOS. I did see the Mitsu Alpha 82" LCOS set. It was big, but I'm not sure about picture quality. Also $20,0000.
-E

Username: Lsmith

Post Number: 2
EricK....thanks for all the info.....I went to several local electronics dealers recently and the picture quality on the same set varies so widely from store to store that its impossible to make an intelligent decision from what you see in there....There was one tv supposedly set up to receive on air HDTV signals and the pic was awful...nobody that saw that pic would buy that set...my 270.00 sanyo from walmart looks better...Anyway...I'm going to research the second and third generation DLP chips you mentionned and save my money......and look for something possibly in the fall...(maybe sooner?) I love this forum...I just found it and its told me more than any magazine or salesperson has in the lat two years....If you want a real laugh...read "consumer reports" article this month on hdtv!!!!

arungupta
Unregistered guest
This DLP TV list has now been updated. It has been expanded to include all the 2003 models as well, including the upgraded Samsung's HLN-1 sets that have just started shipping. You can also download a preliminary brochure for the Samsung HLP line here.

http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html

Unregistered guest
Samsung cuts HLN DLP prices by $500+. See:
http://www.digiupdate.com/P001_Samsung_HLN_DLP_2003.html or
http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html#_Samsung_HLN_Series

Username: Lexus0829

Post Number: 4
This is the reason why i still prefer the CRT HDTV protjection by Toshiba 57HX934 or the Hitachi 57 HDTV, I watched the hitachi lcd, the toshiba CRT 57HX83, Samsung DLP and Optoma HD2 DLP at Cambridge SOundworks here is S.J, CA. The longer you watch the more the DLP,LCD gets worst, the regular CRT HDTV gets better and better, although I would say the OPTOMA with the new HD2 DLP Chip was the only one i think could compete. Just a thought...

Unregistered guest
Hey Arungupta. I am sure you have done more research on this than most. What do you suggest? The next xHD3 chip equiped DLP or Toshiba 57HL83? Are you at all concerned about the mechanical movement of the color wheel in DLP TVs?
S. Choudhury
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us