42" plasmas in the $2800-$3200 range

Anonymous
I'm considering purchasing one of these two 42" plasma tv's. Any advice, encouragement, or warnings about either of these?! Or do you have a better suggestion for the $3000-$3300 range?

Panasonic TH42PA2OUP
Samsung SPN4235

thanks,
Monica

Anonymous
If they are not HD I would run away. I guessing for that price they are ED not HD. Take a look at the Sony KF-50WE610 LCD. Very slim but not a plasma, but it's HD. Hope this helps.

ConsumerX
If you are looking for an entry level plasma, I would also consider the Daewoo DP42SM. It is also EDTV not HDTV, which just about all of them will be in the high $2000 to low $3000 range. If HDTV is really your goal, the Grand Wega LCD rear projections are an excellent choice, running from $2800 for 42" up to $3500+ for 60" (which IMHO is almost too big for the media technologies available at the moment - DVD's anyway) There are pros and cons for each television whether its Plasma, LCD, DLP, and LCOS. A little research on many sites will give you more info on what best suits your needs. Plasma can suffer "burn-in" with prolonged images on the screen which can easily be tested by leaving the DVD menu on the screen for a few minutes and then turning of the DVD player. Chances are it will leave a ghost image, which I don't consider a good thing for the long-term life of the plasma. Resalers will say that they have a 4yr steady life before degradation, but this is of course from 24/7 usage. Only time will tell of course, but I feel there is room for evolution of this technology.

As a side note, EDTV is definately not good for close viewing (closer than 8 feet) because you will see pixels for distant, background objects on the screen when your eyes want to focus on them.

Hope this helps...

SuperB
Something you should know about plasmas, which seriously affected my decision to (not) buy one: burn-in and short life.

Image burn-in happens when a sharp image--like a paused video game or DVD--sits on the screen for an extended period of time. CRT widescreens have been subject to this for years, and it turns out that Plasmas are susceptible, too.

As a matter of fact, high-contrast images can begin to burn-in in as little as 20 minutes. That doesn't mean they'll take over your screen right away--it's only a humble beginning--but that does give you an idea of how short the lifespan of a plasma monitor can be.

Also realize that those "budget" plasmas might not be equipped with an internal fan or the proper heat-dispersion hardware, shortening their life. Also, if you plan to exploit their thin shape and mount one on your wall, you'll spend another $300 to $600 in mounting hardware and installation costs.

For the price of the plasma alone, you can easily get an LCD or LCOS rear-projection 50" or even 60", they don't require any special stands or mounts, and their cabinets aren't much deeper than 18".

If you can find one, any of these make great alternative choices, and they're all available in up to 55" and 70" for not much more:

Sony Grand WEGA KF60WE610 60-inch

Samsung DLP HLN567W 55-inch

Philips Cineos 55PL9773 55-inch

My .02. Good luck with whatever you buy--it sounds like you have some good taste in toys ;)

Username: Wa_tech

Post Number: 2
42" PLASMAS FOR THAT PRICE RANGE ARE MAINLY FOR CONSUMER/HOME USE,IF THAT'S WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR.
RESOLUTIONS ARE NOT AS HIGH AS A 42" PLASMA COSTING 5K AND UP. THE HIGHER PRICED PLASMAS OFFER MANY MORE VIDEO FEATURES MORE INPUTS AND HIGHER RES.BUT THOSE ARE FOR A.V BUFFS......

dubz
Unregistered guest
i don't think A.V. buffs buy plasma's. plasma's are good to brag to your friends with, ED plasma's are for people with less money, but still want to brag.

plasma tv's are a awesome display of technology, but a much better picture can be had at a much lower cost, id look lcd projection or DLP. even a good RP looks better inmo than any ED plasma, the viewing angles are nice though...

Username: Gx35

Post Number: 1
Between the two The Panasonic is a much better display.

KidA
Unregistered guest
I just purchased the Philips 42FD9955 EDTV Plasma at Sam's for $2500. It includes hardware to mount on the wall. Monitor only - no speakers or tuner. They sell an add-on ebox that enahnces the picture further if needed.

I needed something I could hang on the wall so Plasma was it for me. The Philips is a nice compromise for me until prices come down and I can afford whatever HD ultra-thin technonolgy becomes affordable.

Picture quality seems on par with the Panasonic although blacks arent as true. Cant beat the deal. I havent seen it on the net for any lower than $3000. Plus you can easily take it back to Sams if you dont like it.

Username: Pinotgrigio1999

Post Number: 6
I just purchased the Samsung PPM 42S3 42" Plasma. I have had it for about 3 weeks now, and I am very happy with it. It cost just under 3,000.00 dollars including shipping. The picture is much better than the Gateway 42" ultra bright, (that will be going back to Gateway on Monday), and HD directv looks fantastic. I recomend this TV. It is Edtv, not Hdtv.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us