Windows7 and windows xp

Bronze Member
Username: Mati

Post Number: 89
Doreen,

I have widows 7 and windows xp installed on separate harddisk.
please advise how to create a dual boot screen to boot selectively.

Appreciate your support.
Regards,
Eugene

Silver Member
Username: Djsmith

Post Number: 658
i have never tried this but here is a link that should help you out .Please let me know if this works out for you.
good luck

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.ht ml

Diamond Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 21675
yugene Albert
Bronze Member

Eugene says:
"Dear Sir, Madam
I have windows 7 and wimdows xp installed on separate harddisk.
please advise how to creat a dual boot screen to boot selectively.

Appreciate your support.
Regards.
Eugene"

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21676
Go into your command prompt.
Start / All programs / Accessories / Command Prompt

Go to the root directory of C drive.
Cd \<enter>

For information about the following command (Optional): Type
Help Attrib <enter>

You will get a 10-11 line response. Read it to understand the Attrib command. Next Type
Attrib -R -A -S -H *.ini <enter> (Note this is hyphen signs after a space â€" 4 parameters)

You will be able to read the boot.ini file. Do
Type boot.ini <enter>
If it is not there, it does not matter.
If it is there, save it as boot.old with the following command
Copy boot.ini boot.old <enter>

Now type
Exit <enter>
You are back into Windows.

Use wordpad
Start / All programs / Accessories / Wordpad

Do File \open and open boot.ini file, if it is there. Or type in the boot.ini file shown below.
You can do a cut and paste from my post.

Let us presume that your first drive has Windows XP Professional.
Let us further presume that your second drive has Windows 7 Professional.
The boot.ini file in the root directory of C: (the first drive) should look like this
It may not have /noexecute=optin /fastdetect, but only /fastdetect. This is not material to your needs.

timeout=30 means that, if you do not select within 30 seconds it will boot from whatever is in the next line
which has the default= parameters.
You can change the timeout to more or less than 30 seconds

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 7 Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Note that the whole line should be together starting from multi to fastdetect. The post here show in two different lines because of Ecoustic's inability to provide a full wide line.
If there was a boot.ini, the first line above should be left as it was in your boot.ini, and only the second line added.
After you have typed correctly, save it as boot.ini, overriding the existing boot.ini in the root drive, root directory.

Now shut down, and reboot. The choice menu should appear, giving you selection of the two drives.

When you are satisfied that the two boots work, you may go back into command prompt and Archive/hide etc your new boot.ini
Attrib +R +A +S +H *.ini <enter> (Note this is plus + sign after a space â€" 4 parameters)

Accuracy is very important. You have two drives with windows loaded, so if you make a mistake, you can switch the two drives
and then restore the boot.ini of the drive where you made changes. Use your saved boot.bak and copy it to boot.ini
and then start all over again.

Best of luck.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21678
Because you have loaded the two drives separately with their operating systems, the OS you are in will show up as C drive and the other will show us as D drive. This can be confusing. To avoid this, do the following.

Let us say you want Windows XP Professional as C drive.
Connect the other drive as D drive. Then reformat the other drive, re boot and then reload Windows 7 Prof from you DVD and when Windows asks, make sure you install in the 2nd newly formatted drive.
This way, windows will automatically install the dual boot, but also retain C and D as such.

Silver Member

Post Number: 662
if you have a windows xp opperating system cd and a windows 7 os dvd. you can load either or on a usb flash drive or sd flash drive and boot from them too insted of booting into your other hard drive ( xp ).

say you have windows 7 as your main os system and you format the other hard drive then use it as a storage drive.

If you have a bootable xp on a usb flash drive , you can use that as your main drive too plus install all your drivers xp software etc... on it if it is big enough (I would use a 16gb or 32 gb) and save all your work or downloads on the storage drive .

its easier to set up and faster.

if you would like to know more about how to set this up, just ask me and i will explain it and send you some links to get all the download nessary to get things started.

Silver Member

Post Number: 663
yes Nalin there is a much easier way to do things.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21682
"If you have a bootable xp on a usb flash drive" - It is easier said than done.
Bootable Windows 7 on a usb is easier.

Silver Member

Post Number: 667
if you have the right software its easy

if you have a windows xp ISO image file ... you use a windows xp to usb tool ...simple but yes windows 7 is just a simple to use as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 668
what i would do if it were me .. i would use windows 7 as my main drive (C: drive) and then xp on a usb flash drive ..etc and format the other hard drive that has xp on it and use as storage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 669
\link
{http://www.filesonic.com/file/1671431161/B00t4bl3.USB.N3w.rar,http://www.fileso nic.com/file/1671431161/B00t4bl3.USB.N3w.rar}

3n1 usb flash tools ... xp , vista and windows 7

Silver Member

Post Number: 670
http://www.filesonic.com/file/1671431161/B00t4bl3.USB.N3w.rar

sorry the first link messed up on me

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21683
INSTALLING WINDOWS XP AS A BOOTABLE USB IS VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY DIFFICULT.

YOU WILL GET INTO A LOT OF TROUBLE AND SPEND HOURS AND DAYS WITH ABOUT 6-7 TYPES OF INSTRUCTIONS AND TOTALLY CONTRADICTORY INSTRUCTIONS.

SIMPLE REASON IS THAT MICROSOFT DID NOT SUPPORT IT AND HAS MADE IT DIFFICULT AT SP 2 LEVEL.

MY ADVICE DON'T TRY IT!!

INSTALLING WINDOWS 7 AS A BOOTABLE USB IS FAIRLY EASY.

YOU WILL, USING STANDARD MICROSOFT INSTRUCTIONS AND METHODLOGY, BE ABLE TO INSTALL IT.

AND DOREEN!! FOR THE SAKE OF RETAINING THE SANITY OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM, DO A c/p OF MY POSTS AND KEEP IT FOR FUTURE USE AS WHAT I SAID EARLIER AND IN THIS POST, IS THE STANDARD TRUTH

Silver Member

Post Number: 672
sorry Nalin it is easy to do ... i have set up many friends this way .... you need to read up on newer ways to do a dual boot. XP will not be install on you windows 7 drive... it will be a virtual drive USB FLASH DRIVE but if you have all your software that will only work on xp ( web cam and other apps) its great to use. or you can use the XP mode for windows 7.

that is a different way too.

here is a link for windows 7 forums and many tutorials

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/

Silver Member

Post Number: 673
it might be difficult for you nalin but not me

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21686
Do NOT confuse issues.
I am talking about installing Windows XP SP2 or preferrably SP3 on a USB drive and make it bootable drive.

There are a dozen or methods described and discussed, and everywhere people have come up with difficulties, mediocre results and plain pain. At times people have reverted to SP1 to achieve results, only to find problems with SP3 afterwards.
Do NOT bring in Windows 7 USB boot. That is not the issue.
Also note that USB sticks deteriorate fast using Windows on it - that also is well documented.

For the specific problem of this guy, since he has already got two drives with two different versions of Windows installed, I gave him the standard Microsoft supported instructions of changing the boot.ini. In case, he was not familiar with DOS, I gave him details of accessing DOS, which is easy for those who have used DOS, but difficult for the newer generation growing up with windows.

Lastly, it is best to instal a new Windows OS on an extra drive, while the main drive with OS is active, so that each OS remains as either C or D, and does not switch when alternate booting.

You said: "it might be difficult for you nalin but not me" - Well, it was discussed at a meeting of some twenty nerds and the general consesus was what I have just described.

Good night, and God bless the guy who struggles to install Windows XP SP3 on a USB stick.

Silver Member
Username: Parilla

El Paso, Texas

Post Number: 583
nydazz......my good friend!!! YOU SIR are confusing issues. GDer's PZY

Silver Member
Username: Jitu

Post Number: 604
Nyda stop proving your self stupid again and again let other members get some right help from other members your c/p/ method is dangerous

Silver Member

Post Number: 674
yugene Albert

1). is your XP hard drive from an other computer with the same mother board or a totaly different one?
if so , when you add it to the computer with win. 7 already on it, it will be a slave HD . if the pins in the front are in the right place. (if pins are set as MASTER HD windows 7 will still think its the master HD .

1 Look for a bunch of pins among the connectors in the back. IDE drives have over 50 pins in the back of the drive; SATA drives don't have many pins if they have any at all.

2 Identify the board connection. On an IDE drive, the connection consists of many pins spread out over about 2 inches. The cable that plugs into it is wide and ribbon-like. SATA drives have much smaller connectors similar to that on a cell phone.

3 Find the power connector. IDE drives have large connectors with 4 wide pins while SATA drives have power connections similar to their board connection, only smaller.

4 Check for jumpers. IDE drives have jumper settings that tell the computer which point on the ribbon cable they get plugged into. SATA drives, since they're the only drive on their cable, don't have jumpers.

here are some different HD s

http://www.pchardware.co.uk/harddrives.php

depending on which ones you have .. there are a few ways to dual boot from them.

does the main hd use this hook up

Upload

or a IDE Hard Drive

Upload

Upload

newer computers do not have the above connect built in the mother board, but you can use your DVD/CD ROM cord ,IF there is a free connect avalibale making the XP HD a slave.

Upload

or
you can buy an adaptor
Upload

these are things one needs to know in order to even hook up a second drive to a PC.

if both aer SATA drives
and your mother board is newer then you should have a slot to plug it in to.

Silver Member

Post Number: 675
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/solutionbase-boot-windows-xp-from-a-usb-flas h-drive/5928902

or

2000064338,22461484p,00.htm,http://www.builderau.com.au/video/soa/Create-a-boota ble-USB-flash-drive-for-Windows-XP/0,2000064338,22461484p,00.htm

PE builder download
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

step by step info on how to make a bootable xp on a flash drive
there are many way you can do this but here is one way.

Silver Member

Post Number: 676
http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

different ways to boot from

Silver Member

Post Number: 677
i will make a rar file for you to download with everything you'l need to make a bootable XP LIVE flash drive. plug extra software if you want it yugene also check out the computer forum i may have already done this b4. can't remember.

Silver Member

Post Number: 683
nalin your not arguing with me ?

strange i thought you knew what you are talking about ....

also if the wind. 7 is a 64 bit amd your wind xp is 32.86 bit .... you will have a conflict. ( differnet drivers)

you just dont go into dos and change things without knowing all the importent info about the hard drives and drivers.

you nalin can cost this man many dollars to a tech after he tries to do things your way ...

you also dont post CP info if you yourself dont know anything about it.

JUST SAYING!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21687
I said earlier: "Do NOT confuse issues.
I am talking about installing Windows XP SP2 or preferrably SP3 on a USB drive and make it bootable drive.
There are a dozen or methods described and discussed, and everywhere people have come up with difficulties, mediocre results and plain pain."

You have posted this bootdisk url. Now looking at that URL closely - (and me and my friends looked at it carefully and experimented carefully about 10 months ago) I find that there are only 10 methods described. That means that there are two (also unsuccessful methods) you have not described to make up the full dozen.
Has it occured to you why there are 10 methods there? Because they do not work, and yet another nerd tries a different method.

Dorren: Please stop misinforming the readers. There are umpteen threads in as many forums talking about failure with each of these methods. The bottom line is that you may be sucessful with SP1 version of Windows XP. Some of the boot trategies described are of Windows 98 vintage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 684
fu .. nalin they work because i am using one my self ...
accualy i have tried 3 different version of XP sp3 live .

you are talking about installing xp on a usb then installing it to a hard drive... my way is using xp live on a usb stick as a virtual drive ... learn the difference

he has windows 7 on he PC... as the master os system and wants to add another HD with xp on it ... to use xp as a oppion ( most likely because he has software that wont work on windows 7. )

i dont know where you get your info from ... i have all the software to make a usb stick with xp sp3 on it THAT WORKS. as a virtual bootable drive .... all he needs to do it change the way his pc will boot from ... either Hard driver either hard disk or usb boot. .. to do this turn on you pc... at the SETUP SCREEN ( mother board display) press either F10 , F8. or F12 depending on your mother board. sometimes pressing ESC will take you into the dos. just choise what way you want the pc to up in. SIMPLE as that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 685
he can even make a bootable live CD with xp sp3 on it ... once you start your pc with the cd in the drive / rom if done right, it should boot up ( that is using BARTPE with PE BUILDER
i already posted that link

Silver Member

Post Number: 686
nalin wrote ...""""Let us presume that your first drive has Windows XP Professional.
Let us further presume that your second drive has Windows 7 Professional.
""""''

how about we not assume anything and read what he wants .... hint """""i have widows 7 and windows xp installed on separate harddisk.
please advise how to create a dual boot screen to boot selectively.

he hasn't said anything about xp with sp3 on it.

you are assuming way to much and miss reading his request.
i am trying to tell him to use the xp drive as a storage drive after formating it. and using a usb stick as a virtual drive with xp on it. in lou of changing the INI in dos. your way is old and out of date not to mention he doesn't want xp as his main /master hard drive. do yoiu understand this or not?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21689
"how to create a dual boot screen to boot selectively" is done by allowing Microsoft to instal with a dual boot or creating your own boot.ini in the first drive."

That is what the client wanted and that is what I posted.
YOU are "assuming way to much and miss reading his request"

I am still waiting for the remain two - you had 10 methods in your URL, which do NOT work to give me a bootable USB, and when I was working on this item I had tried a full dozen - i.e. 12 unsuccessful methods of making a bootable Windows XP USB stick.

So if you have it send the client a
"dual boot screen to boot selectively"That is what he asked and that is what you should give him, instead of making side arguments with me.
Don't give alternative answers - he wants a "dual boot screen to boot selectively"

Do you even understand the question? I am, currently working with a "triple boot screen to boot selectively" between, Windows XP32, Windows XP64 and Windows 7 on two drives with two partitions on one drive and one only partition on the second drive I had to take out Linux in the multiboot, because it tends to take over the multiboot dialogue screen , so I am booting Linux separately from a CD.
I even can (but do not do often) switch the two drives in BIOS software so as to boot from the primary partition of the second drive and have a different multiboot dialogue come.
So mine is a daily use of multiboot screen - not something I use to point out to others to look smart like you do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 687
LISTEN IDIOT.... MY FIRST POST WAS HELPFUL .. YOU NALIN BROUGHT UP THE USB FOR WINDOWS 7 WHICH HE DIDNT WANT. NORE DID HE ASK FOR MY OTHER AULTERNATIVE METHID (VIRUAL USB STICK)

YOU POSTED YOUR INFO IN 2 OTHER THREADS AND THEN HE ASKED FOR MY HELP. HE ASKED FOR WHO?

BTW .. YOU NALIN ARE MAKING SIDE ARGUMENTS WITH ME ... LOOK AND READ ... AGAIN YOU'RE AN IDIOT THINKING YOUR RIGHT ALL THE TIME .... STOP MAKING ME PLAY YOUR PISSING CONTEST NALIN AND MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.
GOT IT !!!!!

HE HAS 2 SEPERATE HARD DRIVES NALIN NOT PARTITIONED...

IF YOU ADD ONE HARD DRIVE LOADED WITH DIFFERENT DRIVERS FOR THE MOTHER BOARD... IT WONT WORK BUMB@SS.

I CAN PARTION MY 2 TARABITE HARD DRIVE 30 DIFFERENT TIMES. AND PUT ON 10 DIFFERENT OS SYSTEM .. ALL WILL NEED THE DRIVERS FOR THE MOTHER BAORD RIGHT ?

BUT ADD ONE HARD DRIVE WITH DIFFERENT MOTHERBOARD DRIVERS IT WONT WORK! NOT TO MENTION YOU NEED THE RIGHT SIZE RAM

WINDOWS 98 , WINDOWS 98 se, MELLENNIUM ALL XP'S , VISTA AND ALL THE WINDOWS 7 'S LINUX AND SO ON ...

ALL NEED AT LEAST 512 RAM EXCEPT FOR THE 98'S AND MELLENNIUM.THEY NEED 64 AND UP. ALSO IT DEPENDS ON YOUR PC.

YOU SAID """" I am booting Linux separately from a CD."""" ( SO CAN YOU DO WITH XPSP3 PRO)

""""I even can (but do not do often) switch the two drives in BIOS software so as to boot from the primary partition of the second drive and have a different multiboot dialogue come.''''' ( I ALSO SAID THAT)..... LEARN TO READ!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 688
I AM DONE WITH THIS THREAD ..

MATI YOU FIGURE OUT WHO YOU WANT TO LISTEN TOO .. I AM SURE ALL WILL WORK BUT IF YOU WANT A VIRTUAL USB DRIVE WITH XP ON IT , THAT IS THE WAY TO GO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 689
MATI pm ME IF YOU WANT THE SOFTWARE TO MAKE AN XP LIVE VIRTUAL USB OR CD

Silver Member

Post Number: 690
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744684(WS.10).aspx

VIRUAL XP WITH WINDOWS 7 AS THE PRIMARY HARD DRIVE .. LEARN NALIN ....

KEY WORD VIRTUAL THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT !!!

AGAIN THERE ARE A FEW DIFFERENT WAY TO MAKE A VIRUAL USB OR CD.THIS IS ONE OF THEM FROM MICROSOFT

Silver Member

Post Number: 691
TO MATI..... I HAVE USED (LiveXP_SP3_English) and (LiveXP! v10.11) plus (Windows_XP_AnGeL_Live_2.0_LiteVersion_2010)

i can give you the download links to get either one ( included is everything you will need)

Nalin is talking about using your hard drive as an other primary HD """"yes it will work too"""

i am not talking about that ... i am talking about virual live usb stick /flash drive or cd. there is a big difference ,Nalin can't understand for some reason. And i don't see why he needs to argue with me over this.

but the end resault is your decision to make on who 's info to use,

i personaly dont care if you use Nalins info or mine. it's up to you to use what ever way you wish. i just gave you my personal preference. thats all!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21691
"how to create a dual boot screen" is what the client and I are talking about

Q.E.D.

Silver Member

Post Number: 692
yes we got that
and i gave him the answer in my first post on this thread.

your point?

Silver Member

Post Number: 693
how to create a dual boot screen to boot selectively.

that is what he asked for....

Silver Member

Post Number: 694
and why on earth would you want to slow you computer down with several OS systems installed on it. on different HDs?

why not us a virual usb or cd with out slowing down your computer with the same resaults?

what do you gain out of having more than 1 OS system ? Plus finding all the drivers for each os system to match your mother board? ( good luck with that)

it's all about speed, the faster the beter. the more ram the better. etc...

Silver Member

Post Number: 695
nalin you are persuming that both hds are using the same mother board but from an other pc ( the same kind) .

you never asked about where the Xp hd came from.

like i said b4 .. if it came from a totaly different computer and mother board it wont work as an other primary OS system properly .. YOU NEED THE DRIVES FOR THE MOTHER BOARD ( CHIP SETS , MODEM .EITHERNET, USB.20 OR 30 DRIVERS etc.) what good is an OS system without the proper drivers? Sure xp will have basic drivers installed but not all that you will need.,L ike the display drivers or auto..etc...

understand now?

btw i dont believe you ever installed multiple.HDs without the right drivers. or changing the HDs pins and many other things you need to do b4 installing anything on a pc.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21692
I don't have to understand anything from you. You have a lot to learn before you understand.

I don't think YOU will understand what a software developer uses.

GOOD-BYE

Silver Member

Post Number: 711
yeah later loser... you FAILED in many ways to provide Mati with all the right sreps to take first .. you never asked is his XP Hard drive a Fat 32 or NTFS... you never asked him anything about his morhter board CPU etc.. you just jumped the gun and told him to change things in the CMD boot comands.

NOT A GOOD IDEA.... just warning Mati and to provide more info first.

or serious repercussions may.happen. and crash his PC.

Silver Member
Username: Jitu

Post Number: 625
If everything is found in C/P or google then Nydas would have answered in this case it needs REAL KNOWLEDGE ABOUT COMPUTERS how can he answer ?

Silver Member

El Paso, Texas

Post Number: 586
GOOD BYE my dear friend nydas I hope you never come back

Silver Member

Post Number: 712
G2, so true. Nalin is a jack of all trades( so he leads us to believe) but master of none.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16575
"and why on earth would you want to slow you computer down with several OS systems installed on it. on different HDs?"

LOL!

Doreen
How a PC can slow down using 2 OS?

There is no problem which can slow down the PC using both OS because you select the option before using the memory!

Silver Member

El Paso, Texas

Post Number: 587
Doreen is right}

Gold Member
Username: Runnerguy

Pluto

Post Number: 2384
Doreen IS right again

Silver Member
Username: Krishn

Post Number: 998
Plymouth and nydas are knowledgable
zulu, Diego Garcia, G2 and Doreen are idiots, all they know is to bash

Silver Member

Post Number: 713
both are still running even though only one is in use. the other (D drive will be showing as storage drive Not to mention if you try to accese it .. it will tell you to reformat this disk..
the more you have running in the back ground the slower the PC.

does he use many pc fans?
what CPU does he run?
and so on.....

we aren't even to sure what windows 7 he is using ? we no nothing. Mati only provided that he has 2 hard drive with 2 different OS systems on it .. that is not enough info to go changing anything to the computers bios settings.

being a pc tech ( as a hobby) i have worked on many pc and when ( say the pc had no hard drive) putting in a hard drive with another OS sytem on it when booting up the system, a dos window will show up and tell you something like "NO systems disk detected." or something else. USUALLY when getting that message you will have to reformat and reinstall windows or use a systems rescue disk etc.... But what Nalin did was send mati on a wild goose chase.

i gave mati step by step info ( that is now deleted) so if he does nalin info .. he now will have to reinstall windows 7 as well. for fu ckin up the bois ini boot settings

now IF the windows XP HD came from the same pc as the win 7 or an other identical motherboard with all the same drivers etc... Nalins info will work just find ( but i doubt that is the case).

it's like trying to but a fortec bin file in a Viewsat reciever. WONT WORK.!!!!

i don't believe him when trying to tell us he is a software programer. i don't believe anything he tries to tell us.

when i was not able to regeister here i could still read and did read some of NALINS "HELP" TO FIXING COMPUTERS. OMG I was so angry at him for posting the wrong info. and i couldnt do anything about it. NOW I CAN AND WILL MAKE SURE HE DOESN"T MESS UP AGAIN.

Silver Member

Post Number: 714
just like you do subash THATS ALL YOU KNOW TOO!!!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21700
Plymouth: I don't think she understands multiboot as used by a lot of power users and advanced hobbyists.

Multiboot: Using the option to use one of two or more OS at boot time. T
The two OS can be on the same drive in two partitions. If you have a large enough drive (and there are several 1 TB and 1.5 TB Sata drives available at under $100 price tag.

DO NOT BUY LARGE USB DRIVES UNLESS YOU INTEND TO USE THEM ONLY FOR STORAGE. If you are using USB drives for storage, remember that they come preformatted using FAT32. iF YOU WANT TO USE THEM FOR WINDOWS YOU MAY REFORMAT THEM NTFS, BUT MAKE SURE YOU FIRST FORMAT THE COMPLETE HARD DRIVE IN ONE PARTITION, AND THEN REDO IN MULTIPLE PARTITIONS. HOWEVER, THESE WILL NOT TAKE AN OPERATING SYSTEM

For Operating Systems, these days SATA drives are your best buy. Most of the computers sold in the last two years have SATA interface as standard. ATA drives up to 500 GB are OK too for partitioning.

You do not need outside tools for partitioning. Windows XP and Windows 7 have partitioning available, either after installation or during installation.

If you have two drives and want two operating systems on the two drives, the best way is to have one drive with your chosen OS on it and then attempt to install with both drives in and active. windows will prompt you to instal the second OS on the other drive or to partition the first one.

If you already have the two operating systems already installed separately as is the case with this client, you can modify the boot.ini file as I have described earlier

1TB = 1000 GB
1GB = 1000 Mb
You need a minimum of 4 GB availability and it is no use installing on a less than 60GB drive - buy a new drive. This is for Windows XP and Windows 7

For Windows 98 and before a maximum of 6 GB can be used in one partition.,

Linux has its own multiboot software. It will overshadow, Microsoft's multiboot (boot.ini) However, Linux can always be worked as a separate OS on a CD/DVD. A bit slow, but you can speed it up by creating a virtual CD/DVD on any hard drive, and using it from the virtual DVD drive.

Using a USB drive whether a large drive or a USB thumb drive is futile for Windows XP and just tolerable for Windows 7 for special needs.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21703
When you use a multiboot installation, only one OS is active after boot.

There is no extra overhead after the selection of the OS.

Silver Member

Post Number: 716
you are not getting my piont ...

say mati has >>>>2 different OS systems on 2 different hard drivesif they are from }2 different mother boards with there own drivers installed on the hard drives ... PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU GET ONE PC ( HP mother board ) TO READ say an (ACER mother borad)the drivers and configuerations are NOT going to to compatable UNLESS YOU FORMAT THE ACER DRIVE AND INSTALL A NEW CLEAN INSTALL OF XP..its a given that ( THE HARD DRIVE IS HOOKED IN THE HP PC ) THEN ADD THE DRIVERS SO THE NEW XP INSTALLED HARDDRIVE WILL RECOGNIZE THE MOTHER BOARD!!!!!!!

AM I WRONG.?.. ALSO AM I THE ONLY ONE HERE THAT CAN UNDERSTAND THIS?

NALIN YOU WROTE """"""Let us say you want Windows XP Professional as C drive.
Connect the other drive as D drive. Then reformat the other drive, re boot and then reload Windows 7 Prof from you DVD and when Windows asks, make sure you install in the 2nd newly formatted drive.
This way, windows will automatically install the dual boot, but also retain C and D as such.

FORMAT THE DRIVE FIRST RIGHT ?.... AND ISN'T THAT WHAT I AM SAYING ..... OR IS IT ONLY RIGHT WHEN YOU SAY IT ???

and BTW....both hard drives will be running as soon as you turn the power on the pc.. one doesn't maraculesly
REFUSE TO WORK!!!

there for ....the other drive WILL BE RUNNING in the back ground but WILL NOT BE ACCESABLE!!!!

what is you problem? and why can't you understand this?

why must you argue with me over this?

GROW THE FU CK UP

Silver Member

Post Number: 717
I just read your above your last post nalin .. you are now repeating everything i already post ... but you are not understanding any of it LMAO or understanding the topic i am talking about now .. forget the usb drive etc.. NOT AN ISSUE

I am talking about mati's 2 hard drives etc... you b!tched before that the usb wasn't an issue yet here you are totaly off the subject i am talking about now. you dont read sh!t do you?

BTW the maximun memory of 95, 98, 98SE and ME could only utilize only 128 MB of Ram ... anything installed after that is a waste of ram ... Xp needs at least 512 mb of ram to work right or it may crash often or run very slowly. on 32/86 bit or 64bit.

on any 32/86 bit windows 7 OS systems they will only run and see 1gb or ram ONLY 64 bit windows 7 s will read and use as much as you put in.

DO YOUR HOME WORK!!!

also a pen drive usb and or thumb drive on XP sp2 and sp3 and windows ALL 7's need USB 2.0, Hi Speed USB drivers or 3.0 to work right .

Silver Member

Post Number: 718
you had better read nore of the stuff you Copy and paste b4 you post it and learn just what the fu ck you're talking about.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21705

Shut up School Girl!!!

Shut up School Girl!!!

Shut up School Girl!!!

Shut up School Girl!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 719
Using a USB drive whether a large drive or a USB thumb drive is futile for Windows XP and just tolerable for Windows 7 for special needs.

what the FU ck are you babbling about with that statement? LMAO you're showing your age Nalin ... old f@rt.

Silver Member

Post Number: 721
awwww whats wrong nalin? ..... am i bothering to you? .. did i step on your toes? did i do something i am not suposed to do in a dissucsion forum?

DID I STEAL YOUR LIME LIGHT?

eat your rude words.. ( shut up Bi tch) .. and grow up!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21707

Shut up bi tch!!!

Shut up bi tch!!!

Shut up bi tch!!!

Shut up bi tch!!!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21708
Doreen: I kept almost absolutely quiet, leaving you to post about computing in general mostly in the appropriate thread in this forum. I could have posted there but I deliberately did not. You wanted to be the queen there, and I saw no point in disturbing that.

You have started being totally and unreasonably and unknowledgably assertive about thing you do not know.

I have therefore, not option now to post the correct answer whenever you are misleading people.

In this thread, the person was asking about how to hook up two drives each with a separate operating system. You went about describing virtual drives etc when the simple Microsoft and Microsoft approved solution, which I posted, you kept on contradicting it.

The trouble with LK was the same. Whenever she had wrong answer and I posted the right one, she never admitted her mistake. Instead she went abusive, in denial, and made it some kind of war of supremacy. YOU are also not accepting the defeat based on facts and generally accepted formulas, and have been just persistent with your angle.

henceforward, I WILL contradict you <b.when>, and perhaps also in the computer thread here. In the meantime, I suggest you go and take a swim in Lake Ontario, as Largo Key is too far, and your hubbie wont like it if you go to LK.

Silver Member

Post Number: 725
i think he is upset.. oh my what am i to do?

let me think ...........................................................................NOTHI NG

i dont have to post anything ... and NLIN WILL STILL CALL ME NAMES ANS BASH ME .lmao

Gold Member
Username: Bazuka2020

Post Number: 1047
Just a reminder, this is a sat forum

Gold Member
Username: Bazuka2020

Post Number: 1048
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/computers/8829.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 726
REREAD MATIS VERY FIRST POST ..... HE ASKED FOR "DOREEN " i NEVER STARTED THIS THREAD

YOU SAY >>>>> ""You wanted to be the queen there, and I saw no point in disturbing that.
"""

i NEVER SAID ANYTHING OF THE SORT... IT'S YOU THAT WANT TO BE KING ON OF THIS ENTIER SITE.
I WAS JUST HELPING IN THE COMPUTER FORUM BECAUSE I CAN. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WANTING A TITLE SUCH AS YOU NEED AND CRAVE.

AND AGAIN READ MATI VERY FIRST POST ...

2 DIFFERENT OS'S FROM 2 DIFFERTENT COMPUTER HARD DRIVES... ( MOST LIKELY 2 DIFFERENT BRANDS OF PC.... WHAT PART OF THIS DONT YOU GET?

YOU NALIN NEED GLASSES AND LEARN TO READ ENGLISH.

YOUR POSTS ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG.... YOUR MISSING THE BOAT. YOU HAVE A SCREW LOSS. YOU'RE SENILE. AND I Can go on..... I KNOW PEOPLE LIKE YOU .. YOU NEED AND CAVE ATTENTION (ADD OR ADHD ) YOU LIKE TO HAVE THE LAST WORD. AND YOU HAVE THE NEED TO BE RIGHT OVER EVERYONE ELSE. YOU' RE LOSSING IT BIG TIME NOW NALIN .. GET HELP!!!!

MATI I AM SORRY FOR THE MESS OF THIS THREAD ....IT WASNT MY INTENTION TO HAVE NALIN BASH ME AND CALL ME STUPID ETC.... I REALLY DO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. NALIN IS JUST CRYING BECAUSE HE WAS WRONG.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21709
I did not come to this thread.
He had posted in another thread, and I had created a separate MY thread with his query and MY answer.

Next day somebody had removed my thread but had transferred my answer to this thread.

I usually avoid Doreen and her Aid given to a lot people.

Silver Member

Post Number: 727
lol.. what a crock of p00p

tell it to someone that might believe you.. i don't ..

Gold Member
Username: Runnerguy

Pluto

Post Number: 2386
Rosebud.......Just a suggestion....but if you read a little you might just learn something.....read your C/P's before you post them my friend. It will be much better for you and our friends at this wonderful forum.

Silver Member

Post Number: 728
Mati posted on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 10:56 GMT
FIRST POST
Nydas posted on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 20:14 GMT

SECOND POST

Nydas posted on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 20:28 GMT
post 14 minutes after you first post

long enough to search for a answer better than mine.
you have to try to out do me all the time. i dont understand why you do these things.

i seen 2 threads besides this one ( the others are deleted) one from you, answering and one from greg raf

. FUNNY THING WAS ,THEY WERE BOTH THE SAME ASNAWER THAT YOU GAVE IN THIS THREAD the only difference is, greg raf s thread was posted b4 you answered mati's question in the other now deleted thread

YOU COPIED GREG RAFS ANSWER FROM HIS THREAD and then came in here and tried to say it was yours.

YOU GOT COUGHT IN A BIG LIE MR NYDAS... for shame on you, so stop RIGHT NOW...

Silver Member

Post Number: 729
thank you zulu for pointing that out ... he doesnt read just assumes things to act like a big shot.

Silver Member

Post Number: 742
most of this thread was deleted but i think your right .. i cought Nalin in a BIG c/p mistake...

RE POSTING VIA MY EMAIL C/P below

Forum: Home Video: Satellite TV: Windows7 and windows xp
------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Doreen on Friday, August 19, 2011 - 15:32 GMT:

Nalin posted
Thread: Viewsat WF, tried everything to fix it

Forum: Home Video: Satellite TV: Viewsat WF, tried everything to fix
it.

Posted by Pest Control on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 21:10 GMT:

the bich give good answer

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/688802.html#POST1967225

now open up the link he said was from the """Forum: Home Video:
Satellite TV: Viewsat WF, tried everything to fix it""""" thread.

He can't even get his c/p sh!t right.... . the link is this thread and not the Viewsat WF what ever thread.

NOW YOU SEE HOW HE LIES????

i never checked out all the others but this cought my eyes because i
know what and where pest control posted that bich comment to me.It's
also in my emails...

YOU ARE SO BUSTED NALIN......... LMAO@your c/p sh!t..
dumb@ss

Silver Member

Post Number: 743
C/P via my emails Nalins C/P posts

can you spot the difference LOL.. Hint WRONG LINKS POSTED BY NALIN

----------------------------------------------------------
Forum: Home Video: Satellite TV: Windows7 and windows xp

Posted by nydas on Friday, August 19, 2011 - 03:47 GMT:

Thread: Yugene Albert

Forum: Home Video: Satellite TV: Yugene Albert

Posted by nydas on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 20:14 GMT:

yugene Albert
Bronze Member

Eugene says:
"Dear Sir, Madam
I have windows 7 and wimdows xp installed on separate harddisk.
please advise how to creat a dual boot screen to boot selectively.

Appreciate your support.
Regards.
Eugene"

--..--.. --..--.. --..--..
--..--..--..--..--..--..--..--..--..--..--..--..

Posted by nydas on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 20:28 GMT:

Go into your command prompt.
Start / All programs / Accessories / Command Prompt

Go to the root directory of C drive.
………..
………..

it.

Posted by nydas on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 20:30 GMT:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/688844.html

it.

Posted by (Ø- gregraf -Ø) on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 20:38 GMT:

My link works better
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/688844.html

Posted by nydas on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 20:45 GMT:

Because you have loaded the two drives separately with their operating
……………………………………

Posted by Pest Control on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 20:53 GMT:

nydas give good answer.
Bad guy gregraf copy and make mistake.
Use nydas thread...OK

Posted by (Ø- gregraf -Ø) on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 20:55 GMT:

[521250.jpg]

Posted by Pest Control on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 21:03 GMT:

nydas give good answer.
Bad guy gregraf copy and make mistake.
Use nydas thread...OK

it.

Posted by Pest Control on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 21:10 GMT:

the bich give good answer

Posted by Baffin on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 21:13 GMT:

Pest Control back from the dead……………………………….
……………………………………

Silver Member

Post Number: 744
sorry admin this has to be reposted to prove my point that Nalin is in fact a liar.

Silver Member

Post Number: 745
i am a big dummy... i forgot to mention the active boot dick software
http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk-video2.htm

i have active boot live cd full copy as well if anyone is intertested in this

home page.
http://http://www.killdisk.com/products.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 748
sorry typo....it's suposed to say Active@ boot Disk software.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us