Noise with the Samsung DLP HLP series

Bronze Member
Username: Jrest

St. Louis, Missouri USA

Post Number: 28
I was at Ultimate Electronics and though they don't have any of the new HLP series on display (they want to get rid of the HLN series), I couldn't help but notice the color wheel noise, specifically on the HLN50 and 56. I was able to hear it because I was the only one in the DLP area with no ambient noise. I kept hearing this high pitched noise and then put my ear closer to it. I turned the tv off and sure enough it was it. Loud sucker. I remember some people complaining about it on here.

Brings me to my question,
anyone with the HLP series encountering this problem/noise?

Bill Lafferty
Unregistered guest
I have had my HLP5063W for a week now and it definitely has a high pitched noise coming from the color wheel. Some days it is louder than others. I am planning on returning it for this reason. It is really a shame because I love the picture on this TV.

Unregistered guest
My Samsung DLP is making a terrible high pitched sound that comes and goes. We have had it for about a year and love the picture. We are looking for a solution to the noise. Has anyone had success in fixing this problem? We are just weeks past our year warranty.

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
ya ... I had 2 (count em - TWO) Samsung DLP's and I returned both for excessive colour wheel whining noise!!!

I know for sure it wasn't jusy my own pickiness cause my neighbour had a Samsung DLP and we both compared - both of us agreed his was *way quieter* than mine. Indeed, there are colour wheel noise issues with some DLP's.

Amazing thing is the store I sent both my faulty ones back back to, now has them both back for sale on the floor. These idiots basically thought I was:

1) jiving them or
2) they didn't give a hoot and are selling lousy merchandise.

... it seems they are going to foist those noisy pieces of work on some other less demanding sucker.

You've got to play hard ball with the stores cause they are caught in the middle, selling bleeding edge stuff that is only warrantied for 1 year, stuff that is most likely manufacturered in a third world country and far too often has serious reliability issues!

..... they want big bucks for this stuff but manufacturers aren't standing behind their products past year 1 !!!!

be careful .... they want your money and are dangling some pretty attractive carrots in front of our noses these days! The promises are always bigger than the end results!

3 - 5 G's for a TV that starts sounding like a blender in the lving room after only 11 months sounds like a case for a TV investigation show if you don't get satisfaction with the manifacturer! .... Warranty or no warranty!

I'd do some searching online for "DLP noisy color wheel" issues. You're gonna find you're not the only one in this unfortunate boat!

Jimbo in Dallas
Unregistered guest
I have a new Sammy HL-P4663W and I hear no noise from the color wheel or anything else. The salesman said that these "Generation 3" DLP's from Samsung supposedly fixed the noist color wheel. But I dunno. I would sure be pi$$ed if I had a problem since I specifically asked about the reported color wheel noise.

Unregistered guest
I have the HLP5063W and have no noise from the color wheel. Just switched my cable box for HD today and everything is fine. Great picture, no noise.

However, the first Samsung HLP5063W was returned after a week because of an odd image that was appearing on the screen. Looked something like the glue from a rectangular sticker that was on one of the internal mirrors or lens.

Was delivered and exchanged with no problems.'
I have the 3 year extended warranty - always a must for high priced electronics.

-Wiggy-

markieh
Unregistered guest
My first HLP5063W had a very loud and high pitched buzz from the color wheel. I called Best Buy and they exchanged it with a new one. This set is fine and much quieter. Even though it's the third generation DLP from Samsung, they still haven't necessarily fixed the problem.

Also, I'm about to return this set as well. It looks like the inside of the screen is dirty. I notice a gray smudge that runs from top to bottom. It's fairly light but very noticeable when blues and whites are on the screen.

I'm going to try one more set because I do love the picture. But I figure if they don't get it right on the third one I'll try my second choice... the sony KF-50WE610.

Johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
I'm having the same problem on my Sammy all of a sudden HLP5063W model.
Had mine for 10 weeks, waiting for CC to send a repair guy. Markieh you should get the NEW SONY 50' LCD. Model # Sony KDF-50WE655

Unregistered guest
recently purchased a Samsung DLP 3rd generation DLP, 46 series model. Beautiful picture, however, had adifficulty with my pre-existing Samsung Directtv high def reciever. Finally overcame that and the had the set suddenly make an incredibly loud whirring noise, followed by picture distortion the no light at all. Called Samsung, they sent out a repair guy as they thought the DLP bulb was out. He replaced it yet exact same problem instantly. We inspected it. (pretty cool for me to see the inner workings, I am a simple brain surgeon). We both came to the conclusion it was the color wheel. This was just 4 days ago and we are waitnig for the part. Needless to say, I am quite worried about the whole situation. Any suggestions out there?

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Tom S - my suggestion would be to BUY THE 5 Year warranty.

Your replacement colour wheel may be fine for many years, OR, there could be ongoing problems with this set. After two (count em, 2) noisy colour wheel DLP's, I took them back and got an LCD-rp.

Its not fool proof either as they can evidently develop bad pixels. Extended warranty is about the only safeguard. Doesn't seem like a very good deal for 3 to 5 G's does it! I guess its the price we pay for bleeding edge technology :-)

Good luck.

Unregistered guest
I think I am stuck with a loser as well. Great Samsung picture for 12 moonth and about 10 days and then the noise came out- gets worse every day- sounds like a saw noise behind the tv. Looks as though people on here mention the color wheel. Can these be replaced and if so, how much does that run?? The sound is horrible- can't even hear the volume itself over it.

GaryE
Unregistered guest
My Samsung DLP makes an occasional clicking noise. It is definitely not a whirring noise. Anybody else have that issue?

Anonymous

I've had an HLN 5065W (Samsung, 50inch, DLP, paid $2,969)for 6 months. Recently a high pitched noise started coming from the back left side. I've got the Best Buy warranty and they are going to replace some part back there. Technician said the part is $1500. I say if you're buying a large tv, always get the extended warranty. This Best Buy warranty is for 4 years and it was $250. I know several people that have had issues with large tv's.

rickinatlanta
Unregistered guest
I have had my HLP5663W for all of about 5 days and have already heard this buzzing noise. It comes and goes and is very loud and annoying. I have a 5 year service plan from Crutchfield.com. Is this something they can fix or does the whole set need replacing?

Username: Shindsh

Post Number: 1
Had the Samsung HLP5063W for 3 months. The lamp is acting weird. Takes longer to start some time and then you have to switch it off and on, and then it works fine. The high pitch noise since last week, is so annoying. Cant watch movies anymore. Sounds like a loud hair-dryer. Called bestbuy, referred me to a local "repair store". Of course christmas holidays, so no one can give a date of service until next week.
I wish I bought the Sony LCD Rear Projection.
I want my money back :-(

Deew77
Unregistered guest
I've had a Samsung 50" DLP set for going on about 3 years now (1st generation). This TV has an excellent picture/color. For the most part, I have no complaints. However, it has not been service free. The "noise" you speak of - we experienced starting around 12 months. I noticed the "noise" was louder when there was more "white" in the picture. This noise continued, became louder and louder and eventually, the picture went out (as described in other posts). The color wheel was replaced (forget what it cost) and the picture is great and the noise is gone (except for 80% white picture). Anyway, just experienced another problem this weekend. I unplugged the cable from back of cable box going to TV (got snow picture of course) and realized I should have powered everything off (to be safe). Sure enough, when I turned everything back on, TV had no sound. Technician came out yesterday and said the TV Analog Board would have to be replaced (for a mere $580). Costly mistake. I think I will look into seeing if I can purchase a 5-year service contract.

Anonymous

If you can, return your sammys & get a JVC Dila better picture no color wheel, uses 3 mirror chips instead of one, so each chip has its on color, no need for noisy color wheel that can go bad anytime and moving mirrors ( to many moving Parts). Also read the other Samsung threads https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/14343.html to hear all the horror stories and then read the JVC thread https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/69211.html hear all the happy campers

Wise Words!
Unregistered guest
SSGENESIS:

I am a TV tech and can tell you that ALL 100% digital tv (LCD,Plasma,LCD Projection,DLP,DILA) has audio/video sync problems, all of this in the market, up to now, convert to 720p (to be 1080 resolution it must have 1080 pixels vertical e.g. 720, 765, etc are 720p)Now what is the DLP advantage, 1st No convergence adjustment (no CRTs, no multiple scereens or chips) 2nd No burning image (plasma,CRTs) 3rd No degrating screens (LCD Proj. are photo sensitive and degrade with time, about 1500 to 2000 hrs of use) and finaly ALL electronics products can fail if not the manufacturers will give 10 or 20 years warranty and every one in every diferent technology gives ONE year only, plus plasma and LCD proj. have way more issues than DLP. One more thing out of all the brands of DLP tvs Samsung was the first one to use the Texas Instruments Digital Light Projection chip to make a TV set and they still have the very best quality in the market.
P.D. In a normal operation (no brake downs of any kind) the DLP chip (the screen) has an estimated life span of 30 years, Plasma panels and LCD proj. only 5 years!

DLPz 4 ME
Unregistered guest
I'm seeing the color wheel assembly for $160 at www.samsungparts.com, and the service manual for $22. No parts available are close to $1500 as mentioned above, perhaps someone tried to add a 10x margin. When my buzz gets too annoying I plan to replace it myself. How hard can it be?

Anonymous

I saw the DILA and it looks great but will these 3-chippers has convergence problem?

Username: Rwj10

has anyone been able to get the SIR-TS360 and the 5085w to work thru the hdmi connectors?

Anonymous

The person that saw a JVC DILA with convergence problems, If you get the service manual they can be adjusted and will look better than anything out there

DLP for me!
Unregistered guest
JVC DILA is an LCD (LCOS) technology. It simply won't last. The three chips are mirroring a Liquid Crystal On Silicon display. In about 2000 hours or less there will be dead, stuck, or discolored pixels. DLP is a superior technology. Color wheels and lamps are cheap and easy to replace. The price of lamps will drop soon to around $50 and the color wheel is presently $160. Texas Instruments has recently perfected a DLP prism module with a three chip design (eliminates the color wheel), which will be introduced into rear projection sets in the future. The previous DLP three chip design was real expensive and only available in front projection units starting at $20k and up.

Username: Arego

CT

Same Screen problem.
Sent first TV back.
Second has same problem.
Believed to be temperature related. Much worse when room is cold.
Tech came out to look at second set. Told me it is a known problem.
Told me Samsung has changed their MFG process. A new screen is on order. If it fixes it I will keep it. If not it goes back.

Anonymous

New owner of the Samsung HLP5063W, I sent the first set back due to unusual watermarks on the screen which was noticeable in lighters shades. Now as many have mentioned, there is a noise coming from the back of the set. Could a lamp replacement fix this problem right up, I really would hate it if I have to call Crutchfield again and arrange an exchange.

DLP for Me!
Unregistered guest
I have a 5063. They have a few issues that the newer 74's don't have. You're trying to save a few bucks, like me, because the picture is fabulous on that HD3 set. It's much more practical to repair one than take a chance on another new one being perfect. Mine had a lamp issue the first month and a high pitched color wheel replaced the third month. All is fine now. I love the set. It's new and changing technology. Make sure you get an extended warranty. 1-800 Samsung will take care of you the 1st year. Work through the issues. Then, enjoy the finest picture out there. The DMD is a 30+ year device. Samsung says that lamps and color wheels will drop in price quickly this year. Both are easy to replace, but let someone else do it for the first few years.

Bronze Member
Username: Gnnr

Saddle Brook, NJ USA

Post Number: 29
The newer DLP HLP units are also using an upgraded engine folks. New bulb, some new component board designs, and supposedly a better bearing on the color wheel (all replacement wheels now use them too). This is supposed to eliminate the whine and extend color wheel life, the new bulb is the right one for the unit (the tosh one apparently had problems with fitment and thermal expansion as well as life; end result was bulbs coming loose, going out early, and even causing engine damage due to suspected shorts when it got loose). The board enhancements increase a few image things (over my head), but also address things like audio sync.

Unregistered guest
I have a HLP5663W which has developed the same annoying color wheel noise others have commented on. When I visited www.samsungparts.com I could not find a service manual or color wheel assmby for my TV. The manuals are listed only for the 4663, 5063 and 6163, but not the 5663. Is it covered by the others (For instance the 4663, 5063 and 6163 all have the same part #)? Likewise, the only HLPxx63W series TV w/ a color wheel listed is the 5063W, which by the way is listed as a "No longer available part." If anyone has any info on either of these items, I'd appreciate it. Also feel free to email me. Thanks.

DLP for Me!
Unregistered guest
Are you past your first year? No extended warranty? Call 1-800-SAMSUNG anyway. They will know the authorized repair shop closest to you. Let that shop get the color wheel. (newest version) If you don't want them to put it in, for whatever reason, you will find that it is no big deal to replace. You will have to un-hook a cable or two, a ground strap or two, a few screws, and slide the light engine tray out a little. The color wheel has two screws on top and slides up from in front of the lamp. It has two little harness connections. Just observe how it looks before and while removing and put the new one in the same way. I've seen the part price vary from $169 to $229 and I'm not sure why. Maybe one is six segment and the other is seven. Good Luck!

Anonymous

Does anyone know the part number for the color wheel for HLP5063W.
Samsung had BP96-00250A listed as the part number last month. Service technician also ordered the same and it didn't fit (wrong wheel).
Now Samsung website has BP96-00674A listed.

Dont want to lose more time with another wrong part.

Been stuck with this noise since Christmas, mostly because of bad customer service with the local service center (Frontier Electronics) in New Jersey.

DLP for Me!
Unregistered guest
Mine was replaced last month. I have the same set as you. The part number on my receipt is BP96-00674A. It does fit! It's very quiet too!

Anonymous

Just got the color wheel replaced on my HLN507. What a difference! Only took the tech 30 min to swap it out and it's now so quiet that all I hear is the fan... exactly how it should be.

Taking the set apart as he did is definitely not for the weak of heart. I was under extended warranty so had no need to figure this out.

The whine my wheel made was certainly annoying for me, but the tech said in a few more months it would have been very loud to anyone trying to watch TV. New color wheels use an "air bearing" (no idea what that means) and supposedly will never make that noise.

Username: Dank

Mission Viejo,, CA

Post Number: 3
I just exchanged my 4674 after 2 weeks because the fan noise was way too loud (it was a replacement for a 4663 after 3 months). I could hear it over the picture if the volume was below 10...and I watch a lot of TV & play games after the family goes to bed so I need to keep the volume low. Brought it back to Magnolia and they replaced it right away...they didn't even open the box to make sure the TV was in it. ;)

The new one is much quieter (just like the 4663 was), and the picture is still superb. Hopefully, that's the end of my issues.

PAT1980
Unregistered guest
I have this same LOUD BUZZING noise that drives us crazy. We can't even watch it. We purchased the $500 lifetime warranty last year and now the store is out of business. Anyone know what we can do, will Samsung cover it??

FYI
Unregistered guest
The store that sold the extended warranty is not generally the responsible party. Check your paperwork for an 800 number. If it's less than a year old call 1-800 SAMSUNG. It will be covered.

Username: Patsrockon

Post Number: 5
This is clearly one of the improvements on the 74 series. I have to put my ear on the set with silence in the room to hear it. Sorry.

Fritz
Unregistered guest
My newly-purchased HLP5685 ("Captain Kirk") pedestal TV makes almost ZERO noise. I was very concerned about fan noise and color wheel noise when looking for a DLP TV, but neither is a problem with the 5685, even in my quiet viewing room. No problems with audio sync or video rainbows either! The video image is the best I've seen on any TV, particularly with a good HD signal.

to4dee
Unregistered guest
does anyone have or can create a little DIY guide for changing the color wheel or a picture of the service manual diagram so at least i would know where to start so i can get this annoying issue fixed

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
An authorized Samsung tech will only charge about $60 to swap it out. Please read my Feb. 1st. post above. It's not that difficult if you insist on doing it yourself. Just make sure you are getting the "Air Bearing" model. It's best to let a local Samsung Authorized Service shop get it.

Anonymous

I just wrote Samsung. Here's my problem with my Sammy HL-P5674 ...

Hi, I recently purchased the Samsung HL-P5674W and have noticed frequent, loud, cracking or crackling sounds while the television is turned on as well as off. The sound resembles breaking hard plastic. What is the reason for this? Look forward to your reply to this situation.

---------------

Anyone else have this sound problem??? I'll keep you posted.

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Sure! Warming up...and cooling down. No big deal!

If it's unusually bothersome, take the back cover off of the set and use a silicone grease along the seating edge. Reseat the back cover and snug the screws up, but do not overtighten.
The back cover is really the only component that can make the sound you describe. You can have a tech do it as well, most likely under warranty. Just call 1-800-SAMSUNG and they will fax the request to your local authorized service shop.

I know you are enjoying that exquisite picture. Don't let this minor annoyance discourage you. This one's easy!

Unregistered guest
i was going to buy this set hlp5674w but now i have people telling me i am crazy to consider this set or any samsung tv - they say they only make bad phones, not good tv's

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Buy it anyway, along with an extended warranty. That way, you won't miss out on the best HD display on the market.

Jim M
Unregistered guest
On that price of the color wheel, the service guy just told me that it is $1100 dollars also. The tech guy said that the whole lamp engine needed to be replaced, and that you cannot just replace the color wheel. True? Anyone know?

Looks like you are just screwed if you don't have the extended warranty. Siinc ethis is such a known problem is there anything that Samusung does.

FYI
Unregistered guest
That's absolutely false!

Read more of this thread.

Samsung may cover you anyway!

They care about customers and have done work out of warranty for others. Call them. 1-800-SAMSUNG

Anonymous

I'm interested in the new HL-P5067W with digital cable ready tuner. Are they using the newest color wheel bearing and latest technology in this model or should I wait awhile to buy?

FYI
Unregistered guest
It's a great choice, especially if you're a gamer.
It's currently the only Samsung model that doesn't have an A/V game lag or sync issue using PS2 or xBox.
It has the HD3 chip and 3rd generation light engine, which is the same as the 63 series and really creates a beautiful display.
I haven't seen any complaints on this forum concerning that model.

If you're not a gamer, the 5674 has a little higher contrast chip and a 4th gen light engine. (HD2+ Mustang) The blacks are even blacker, if that's possible for your eyes to detect. There are no production issues with this one, either.

Anonymous

I'm interested in the HL-P5067W because of its size. What do I gain by waiting for the HL-R series. Will the HL-R have a different light engine and/or chip and what does this mean to the average guy. Does both series have the newer air bearing for the color wheel. Can I receive HD signals directly into my TV tuner from my older UHF roof antenna(my local channels are broadcast in HD) and can I receive my non HD dish signals at the same time via my dish receiver(older system). Not ready to upgrade yet to the dish 500 system until I purchase my HD tv.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Here ya go!

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=H LP5067WX%252fXAA

Some HLR's will have the xHD3 chip, but not this one.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=H LR5677WX%252fXAA

The HLR 68 & 97 series will have the new chip.

1505main
Unregistered guest
Okay have had my hlp5063W for three months now including the attractive screen smudge. After scheduling a tech to fix the screen this coming friday (three days from now) I tried to turn my tv on yesterday morning and got the three lights of death and nothing else. I've called samsung again and they were helpful and said that the same guy would fix both problems.... my question is this... I went back to Circuit City this morning and of course they wouldn't exchange it without a return authorization from Samsung.... any of you guys had experience with getting them to authorize a switch or return. I wouldn't even mind store credit.... Love the DLP's picture but not too happy with the reliability.

Woodford
Unregistered guest
I have read here the many problems people are having with the color wheel. Does anyone have specific experience with the 74 or 77 series? Have the whining noise issues been resolved?

Reply to 1505main
Unregistered guest

You have a 63, which has known production issues.
They are resolvable. The set is awesome. The picture is stunning. The price is $1500 less than it was last spring and around $700 less than the 74 series. It's definitely worth sticking it out unless you're trading up. The newer models don't have reliability issues nor does the 63 after warranty production issues are addressed.

Reply to Woodford
Unregistered guest
Woodford,

Color wheel issues have mostly died out. Whiners are replaced with new "air bearing" frictionless versions both in warranty and out of warranty at no cost. New models appear to have the new wheel technology as there are no posts about it.

Anonymous

I'm considering either the Pany PY-50DL54 or the Sammy HLP5067. The Pany has a 2500:1 contrast ratio while the Samy is 1500:1 Limited by space so 50" is my limitation. What are the Pro's/cons of each model? Which model has the latest technology?

Colonel Taylor
Unregistered guest
Interesting thread! I purchased a refurbished 5063 a month ago that came with the 90 day warranty. A week ago the "3 lights of death" issue hit me and Samsung was great in getting out a repair tech in less than a week. When he showed up yesterday, he had an entire new light engine instead of just a new lamp. This set was manufactured in May 04 with firmware 1014 and doesn't have the screen mark issue. With the new engine does anyone think I'll have any further issues? I think I'm gonna plunk down tomorrow for an extended warranty because I love the set.

FYI
Unregistered guest
I think you're good to go!

The new light engine should be a Phillips.
It should also have the new air bearing color wheel.
Get the warranty. It's just smart!

Username: Lhacool

Hello,

I am looking for a nice DLP HDTV ready. I was considering the Samsung HLP 63W series, but now reading all the post, it looks like this series has issues. I'm still considering the Samsung models because of it's clarity, style, etc... but now I am confused about the other Samsung series mentioned here (e.g. HLR-, 68,97,74,77, etc...). Which series is the latest. I thought the 63W was the most recent looking at the Samsung website. I would like to know more about the other newer series and if they resolve some of the issues known in the other Samsung models. Your advice would very much be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to lha cool
Unregistered guest
Get a 74!

The 77 is the new version of the 74 with the HD2+ chip, but it has the flawed Cablecard system and the useless internal digital HD off-air only tuner.

The 68 and 97 are not yet available, but will cost an arm, leg, and left test!cle!

Nothing too wrong with the 63. It's the most bang for the (under $2k) buck. Issues, if any, are easy to resolve. Have had mine a year. It's a stunning picture. If a gamer, get the 5067. Same as 63, but no PS2 gaming lag.

Username: Lhacool

Post Number: 2
Thanks, since I have cable I guess I have to get HD through the cable box, so the HD tuner that comes with the 77 won't serve me any use?!
I'll consider the 74 HDTV ready. Thank you for your response.

SkipS
Unregistered guest
I'm thinking about getting the Samsung HLP5067. I've been looking at TVs for awhile and the picture on this one is beautiful (in the store).

Would you 5067 owners recommend it?

Are the same problems with the HLP5063 present in the HLP5067?

Which one of these sets is the newest?

I would think the 67 would be. But on Samsungs website, The 67 is archived in 2004 TV's and the 63 is in 2005 current production TV's. In Reviews, The 67 states a first production date of Feb. 2005. So,I'm slightly confused about that... not that it really matters.

To Skip
Unregistered guest
If you're a PS2 or XBox gamer the 67 and 77 are the only models without the video/audio sync issue.

Otherwise, it's the same HD3 chip as the 63 models.
The only real difference is that the 67 has the worthless CableCard technology and the useless digital tuner, same as the 77's.

I haven't seen any negative posts about it, though!

Username: Islandx

So is the HLR-5067W the new model ? And will it have resolved the color-wheel,screen smudge, a/v lag issues ?

Username: K40

Post Number: 6
I am wanting to know the same thing about the newest model number and which chip it has in it. I was told that the 5067 had the new HD2+ chip which is suppose to have all the HD3 kinks worked out. ??

Klaus
Unregistered guest
The 5067 uses the .55 inch HD3 chip same as the older sets. The "kinks" from the previous version(5063) (color wheels, fans, 3 lights of doom for lamp or ballast,screen smudges ) seem to actually have been addressed for the 5063 sets. If you look at this message board over the past month or so, you will notice that Samsung issues have dropped way off, especially considering the popularity of these sets. I have a 4674 from November 04 which is a great set. No problems so far other than screen smudges which I am living with for now.

Audio Sync Issue
Unregistered guest
Anyone have the access code for adjusting the audio sync on the HLP 5063? I am told a technician has to come out to adjust it, but all he will do is change a setting on the audio delay. Any info would be appreciated. Tired of hearing the audio before peoples lips move.

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
It may not help! You can try, but the results could actually be worse. I have mine on 3 and only see the lag occasionally on HD Net and some commercials.

Remember...here be dragons...don't go tinkering around...and never select user reset...ever!
You can select "Options" and a new page comes up with the lamp hours and the lamp reset for when you change one.

Here goes:

With power off/fan off...on the remote...
mute + 1 + 8 + 2 + power...you're in! Power off until fan kicks off to exit. Good luck!

A top notch home theater surround sound system has a digital audio delay knob, which is sweet to dial it to a perfect match.
Damn shame that Sammy didn't get the video board right on that model, though. If it's real bad, and you're in you're first year,
1-800 SAMSUNG will replace the set with the model of your choice, price difference is yours, though! They have been doing that for gamers.

Audio Sync Issue
Unregistered guest
Thanks DLP4me! The problem I have is that the audio is actually slightly ahead of the video. Whenever I tell someone that they kind of freak out since most have an audio delay on them. It is even more noticeable when using my Sennheiser wireless headset. Turning internal mute on helps, but still the audio is slightly ahead of the video.

This is my second Samsung 50", The HLN I had first had terrible sync issues, so returned to the store and waited a month for the HLP to come out. It was supposed to have fixed many of the issues they said. Three months after buying the HLP, the ballast went out. Replaced under warranty. Hearing of all the issues with the HLP5063, I am now starting to notice that mine has some of these issues... Pin cushion effect, A/V sync issues etc. The most annoying by far is the sync issue. It isn't consistent, though. Sometimes it isn't noticeable, while other times it's very distracting. The problem is, if I adjust it via the service menu for watching TV, then it won't be right when using the headset or watching a DVD since the sync seems slightly different in those modes. Sometimes it just feels like I am chasing my tail with this set.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Audio Sync issue:
When you have the issue with audio being ahead, it is because so much video processing is going on that the video is actually behind the audio. Try turning off the dnie circuit in the menu and digital noise reduction. This will lessen the amount of video processing and I find that the sync issue is often much better. Be aware also that sometimes the fault lies with the broadcaster and not with the set. I have a 20 inch crt in my bedroom which at times has horrible sync issues, but since it is viewed from afar, you often are not able to clearly see the lips like you can on a big set.

Unregistered guest
So, is anyone certain of the differences between the new HLR-5067 and the older HLP-5067?

FYI
Unregistered guest
The HLR is at least $300 more than the HLP.
The HLR has a generation 5 light engine, HLP has the gen 3.
Both use the HD3 chip. HLR uses it more efficiently.
The HLR reaches a 2500:1 contrast ratio instead of HLP's 1500:1.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Oh...I almost forgot...
The HLR has a floating screen design.
The HLP does not.

Just Curious
Unregistered guest
Does the 5674 have the gaming lag??

FYI
Unregistered guest
I haven't seen any complaints with that model.

Component cables are suggested.
They are a must for progressive scan games.

DougK
Unregistered guest
FYI,
I have not seen the HLR-5067 yet. The 4th generation, to me, looked better than the 3rd generation. But the 4th generation used the HD2+. Have you seen and compared the HLR5067 to a fourth generation chip?

FYI
Unregistered guest
It's important not to confuse the chip style with the generation of "light engine", not model.
The HLR 67's are still using the same HD3 chip, but more efficiently with the 5th generation light engine. It's about the way they have been able to focus more lamp light onto the chip.

I think the HLR xx67's are very nice, but they are not the new chip with 1080P formats.

The new chip will be called either xHD3 or xHD4.

These new 1080P sets will have model numbers like HLR xx68 or xx77. They will be priced between 4k and 7k and should hit retailers in a month or two. All will have the 5th generation light engine.

DougK
Unregistered guest
FYI,

Have you compared the HLR??67 (HD3 with 5th gen light engine) with the HLP??85 (HD2+ with 4th gen light engine)? Could you tell the difference in the picture quality? contrast? brightness? rainbow effect? etc? I still have not found a place with both sets side by side.

FYI
Unregistered guest
I've never considered the 85 because the pedestal is just not attractive to me and component placement becomes problematic.
Hiding cables would be hard too.

When it comes to a DLP picture, I haven't seen a bad one.
I didn't care for Mitsu's shiny glare, but all look stunning with HD.

I would consider these factors:

How much do you want to spend?
How big do you want the screen?
Har far back you can sit determines size!
Already have a kick'n Home Theater Surround Sound system?
A 5, 6, or 7 channel audio system is a must!
Already have a progressive scan DVD player?
Got all the cable sets? Component, DVI/HDMI, Optical audio?

If you don't see rainbows, you won't see rainbows.
It doesn't matter what model!

I have an HD3 with a third gen light eng.
To me it looks every bit as good as the HD2+ and was 1k less.
I spent the rest on goodies mentioned above!

The HLP 67 is the same set as my 63 except for the addition of the worthless CableCard slot and the useless digital tuner.

I haven't seen the new HLR's with existing chips. I'm not even interested. I want to see an HLR xx68! That's worth a look!

Joe Stix
Unregistered guest
From this thread, I'm leaning towards buying the HLP5674.

Two questions:

1)Does anyone know what a HLP5674C is? This is the model being sold at the Costco by my area. Is this the same TV?
2) I really want a 60" or a 61" version. Does anyone know if there are plans to produce the 74 series in a 60" or 61" version.

Thanks!

FYI
Unregistered guest
Hi Joe,

The new HLR 6167 has the newer faster switching chip in a generation 5 light engine. You don't want to use the CableCard slot, though.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?sort_type=price&masterid=8192825& isbn=&pid=

The HLR 5677 has taken the place of the 74 and won't be made in any larger screen.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?sort_type=price&masterid=8192826& isbn=&pid=

FFD
Unregistered guest
Faster switching chip than what? I beleive it is the same old hd3 chip with the new light engine and a 7 segment color wheel.

I don't quite understand why samsung has done this. They put an old chip with a new light engine and 7 segment color wheel in the hlr-xx67 (newest model). Yet they also have the hlrxx77 with a newer hd2+ chip new light engine and a 6 segment color wheel.

Over the air tuner's are definetly not worthless and neither is cable card. You acctually get better picture quality with the cable card because you are not relying on a crappy cable box to do your decoding, there is no extra transfer of signal.

Anyway, I am going to buy one of these two model's just haven't decided on which. I accually sell these things at an electronics store so I have seen first hand which models have problems and which don't. Let me know if you have any questions.

Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

FFD,

It's not the old HD3, it's the new HD4! Read about it.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=HLR6167WX%252fXAA,http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=H LR6167WX%252fXAA

The HD2+ is no longer newer! Read about it.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=HLR5677WX%252fXAA,http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=H LR5677WX%252fXAA

Maybe the digital tuner isn't worthless, but it's only good for off-air digital networks.
HD content is pretty scarce still on networks.
It takes a proprietary box to get HD channels.

CableCard has firmware issues, issues with bad cable signal, missing channels, no two-way interactive capability, which means no pay-per-view and no guide.
Let me know if you have any questions!

FFD
Unregistered guest
I have had many customers using cable card and only one had issues with it. They were using an LG Plasma. No problems so far with mits dlp's, samsung dlp's, sony xs series plasma's or sharp lcd's.

I am well aware of the basic information you posted with HD Tuner's and calbe card, I use my off air tuner all the time, a large portion of prime time network tv and sports are broadcast in HD, at least in my neck of the woods. I am also aware that you need a box to get channels like ESPN HD, and Discovery HD, unless you have CABLE CARD!

I am also aware of the one way connection that cable card presently offers, but thanks anyway.

I would not bother to waste any time asking you questions. Nor would I expect you to ask me any, that was directed towards people who are in the maret for a tv and want information from someone who has to deal with a lot of customer service issues.

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 6
No offence, but what makes you think that I'm not at all in your line of work?

No offence, but your post came across as uninformed. It's actually the 77 series that has the old HD2+ chip still. All Samsung did was add the ATSC tuner and the Cablecard slot to the 74 series.

Why would consumers report back to you with there CableCard headaches? They depend on the cable companies to get it right and when they don't they get hung in the middle between a manufacturer's firmware update and the cable CO. If you want a real taste of their plight, read this.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/103212.html

I don't have to bother wasting my time with you, either, but you said that you are considering a purchase and I thought you might want to know.

Your first post is filled with uninformed attitude. I hope you will self-evaluate.

Best regards!

Bronze Member
Username: Klaus

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 27
The problems with cable cards would seem to be a local cable company issue rather than a technology one. That aside you do throw away many of the few pluses that cable offers over satellite ( on demand, pay per view, guide, ). If you want these then you will need a cable box thus making the cable card redundant. Hd tuner is useful only where OTA is available. Once someone decides to tweak the standards as HD and digital broadcasting become the norm, it is possible that these early tuners/cards will need to be supplemented by a standalone box of some kind.

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 7
That would seem to defeat the whole purpose.
Perhaps they could just come up with a new card or another firmware update.

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 8
I want to make corrections in my posts above.

I said, "The HLR xx67's are still using the same HD3 chip, but more efficiently with the 5th generation light engine."

This information is incorrect.

It's the HL-"P" xx67's that continue to use the HD3 chip and still have a third generation light engine.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&pr od_id=HLP5067WX%2fXAA

The newly released HL-"R" xx67's have a new HD4 chip that has doubled the mirror switching speed in a fifth generation light engine.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=H LR5067WX%252fXAA

My sincere apologies for the mix up.

Klauss
Unregistered guest
NOISE,RAINBOWS-

WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF DLP

FFD
Unregistered guest
1) I was wrong about the hlr-xx67 having the old hd3 chip, I saw that it was .55" and assumed it was the hd3.

2) My customers don't have to come back to me with cable card issues because I contact every one of my customers after their purchases to see how things are going.

3) I don't know why you are putting words in my mouth, where in any of my posts did I suggest you were not in the business?

4) If the only difference between the hd3 and hd4 is double the switching speed, then it would seem in many ways the 2+ chip is better. It is larger, has finer pitch, and a higher degree of tilt than the hd3. Of course maybe the hd4 chip has improved on those features as well, I just have not found any evidence to support it. Samsung does mention something about a finer pitch screen on their web site.

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 10
My mistake, FFD.

Let us know what you decided to go with and your opinion after you've checked it out.

Best regards!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us