Sony Grand WEGA KF-42WE61 (With Video)

Username: Tijaiha

Post Number: 1
Sony Grand WEGA KF-42WE61
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiBssY899ag

The above video will show the issue better than I can describe, though the picture in this video is a lot more clear than usual (the TV had only been off for roughly an hour prior to capturing the video). The picture is usually quite a bit more distorted and flips vertically with horizontal lines.

When turning the TV on after it has been off for roughly an hour, this happens every time. It takes approximately 10-15 minutes before the picture starts to clear up and look normal. This happens on all inputs except for analog.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas what this could be, and if its worth having a repair guy check it out or something I could replace/fix myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2250
Is this a projection LCD set? If so, take this opportunity to donate it to a landfill and start over.
Sony has settled several class-action lawsuits over these and the more recent SXRD sets. I'm a victim, too, so I'm not smarting off.
Just another PO'd Sony Customer.

You may have an electronic problem....but I'd first make sure ALL inputs do the same thing. Check antenna / cable / small dish feeds as well as power TO the set. Some devices can feed junk on to the power line and mess up the picture.

BUT, win/lose/draw, you will eventually have a picture problem like the stain / blob thing for which you will need a new or rebuilt 'light engine'. The part alone from an independent rebuilder runs about 300$ for my SXRD set and install? Well, I'm pretty handy and foolish, too, so I may DIY it, if I don't take the set out and run it over, first. But than, the problem WILL come back. It's only a matter of time.

Username: Tijaiha

Post Number: 2
Yes, this is a rear projection LCD. I have tested the two component inputs with the cable box and xbox and it does the same thing. The antenna input seems to be fine, as shown in the video, when switching to that input there is obviously no signal, but the "snow"doesn't seem to be affected.

Once it is "warmed up" the picture looks pretty normal. My knowledge of this stuff is pretty limited so any and all help is greatly appreciated. Really hoping this is an easy/cheap fix, replacing the tv isn't really an option.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2252
I hear you about 'replace is not an option'. I spent 2large + in late '06 on 'the last set I'll ever buy' and it is going south.

Upset? you bet!

As for your set, I'd see professional help. It'll cost for an estimate but it looks like you have a real problem...and not necessarily the light engine.
Transistors / ICs can change as they warm. Also, there is something called a 'cold solder' where a solder joint has a very small fracture in it and causes bad things to happen in either picture or sound.
A good tech finding no broken parts can find these and resolder. I had that done to a nice Panasonic direct view and it went for another couple years......

Bronze Member
Username: Sonylistens

Post Number: 11
Hello,
My name is Mike from sony electronics the sonylistens team. If you are having any problems with a sony TV, computer, or other electronic please contact us at sonylistens@am.sony.com so that we can assist you. Include your name, product model, serial #, (forum) in the subject area, and a way for us to contact you.
Thanks,
Mike Puma
Sonylistens
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help