Best TV for action movie, sports?

Bronze Member
Username: Kevinrob

Post Number: 36
Is a plasma the best choice for watching action movies and sports?

I see most (if not all) have a 600Hz refresh rate, so I'm guessing this means it is better for action scenes and sports that say a LCD with a 120Hz or 240Hz?

How do plasmas compare to the new LEDs? I see they are much more expensive, but is it worth the extra money?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4216
There is nothing available at this time that beats a good plasma, especially for action and sports.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Thanks David. Is there a particular make or model that stands out (50 inch)?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
I have seen 4 nice sets at my local stores:

LG 50PK540 ($998)
PANASONIC TC-950S2 ($1169)
PANASONIC TC-PS0G10 ($1299)
SAMSUNG PN50C550G1F ($1169)

They all seem pretty comparable except one of the Panny's has internet connection (which I don't need). Any thoughts as to best picture, features, etc?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4217
I own a Panasonic and love it. That said, last year's Panasonic plasmas had rising black level problems, the G10 and V10 models in particular. I would think it's fixed in the new models, which the S2 would be one of, but I can't say that for sure. Panasonic and Samsung would be better than LG. Panasonics are generally considered the best plasmas, minus last year's problem TVs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Thanks David! Can you help me understand what "rising black level problems" means?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4218
The blacks get lighter. Do a search for "Panasonic plasma black level problem", all the info will be there.

Username: Jtay81

United States

Post Number: 5
You should look on the AVS forum or CNET for information on the rising black levels. Unless you are watching the TV in a dark room you may not notice the rise- but this depends on how fussy you are about the picture quality. Personally I would look at the G25 series Panasonic plasma TVs and would stay away from the LCD sets- but that is just my opinion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4219
You may not notice it now but the TVs are relatively new and having problems already. No one knows what they will look like in a few years. I wouldn't take that chance.

I've seen the previous year's TVs, that's what I have, used for pretty reasonable prices. There's one on a local website now for less than $600. I paid $1150 for mine.

United States

Post Number: 7
David,

What would you say the issues are on the new models?

Also, you mention the rising black levels issue on the 2009 models and then recommend a 2009 model. Is this just due to the lower price of these now or other reasons? Or by previous years TV are you refering to the 2008 models?

Thanks,
JT

Gold Member

Post Number: 4221
Yes, I mean the 2008 TVs, the previous year.

The 2010 TVs are just hitting the streets now, if there's any issues they wouldn't be known yet.

Other than the 2009 TV black level problems, which doesn't affect reliability as far as I know, and power supplies on some of the 2007 TVs, the Panasonic plasmas have been very reliable TVs. If you look in Consumer Reports they are at the top of the list for fewest breakdowns in flat panel TVs.

With all the negative press Panasonic has taken on last year's TVs I'd think the problems would be fixed this year. Each year usually brings considerable improvements and price drops. I've got 2007 and 2008 models and the 2008 TV is quite an improvement over the 2007.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Can anyone tell me if the TVs I'm looking at are 2009 models?

Panasonic TC-P50U1 ($999)
PANASONIC TC-950S2 ($1169)
PANASONIC TC-PS0G10 ($1299)

There seems to be a big price difference between the panasonics and I'm not sure why? The features all look the same?

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 11
Panasonic TC-P50U1 ($999)...2009 Model
PANASONIC TC-P50S2 ($1169)...2010 Model
PANASONIC TC-P50G10 ($1299)...2009 Model

The nicest picture of the 3 above in the G10- but as David said it has the rising black level issue.

If you like the picture of the S2 model I would see if you could find a good price on last years TC-P50S1.

For this years sets I still believe the G20/25 is the way to go...you can get the 50" G20 for $1300 at Best Buy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4222
The G20 would be the way to go if you're looking at the G10. Unless you're in a hurry to buy I'd give enough time to watch AVS and see if any problems arise.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1231956

I haven't looked through the thread but if there's problems with the G20/25 they will be posted there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Thanks for the info. I went back to BB to look at the TVs and the Samsung PN50C550G1F picture looked MUCH better than the Panasonic G10.

Could this be because of the settings (default?) they use in the store? I have a Samsung 56" DLP now and really like it, but the Panasonics seem to rate higher when it comes to plasmas?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Sorry, meant to say Panasonic G20 above, not G10.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4223
You definitely can't trust what you see in a store unless you play with the picture settings and even then the signal can vary from one TV to another. What a TV looks like in a showroom is never what it will look like when you get it home. I'd get the remotes from them and play with picture settings. TVs typically have about 5 different picture modes and they usually have preset settings for each mode beyond what the user can adjust. In other words, even with the user settings all exactly the same for each mode, the picture modes will look a lot different from one to another.

According to Consumer Reports Panasonic has the lowest breakdowns at 2% over I think it's 3 years, Samsung has 5% in the same time. Both are low but Samsung is 2 1/2 times what Panasonic is.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Thanks for all the great info! I think I'm sold on the G20.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4225
You may be able to get one considerably cheaper buying online. I saved about $300 buying online vs in store. Just reaserch where you buy from well and you should be fine. I bought from ABT and had them do a price match with Fry's since I didn't like Fry's reviews. One of the major reasons I went with ABT was because they said if anything was wrong with the TV they would pick it up and send a new one without me having to pay shipping charges back to them or for the replacement.

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 15
Let us know what you think of the G20 once you get it home.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Is ABT an online vendor? I am looking to buy this weekend and will post pics and comments once the TV is set up.

is it worth it to buying a calibration DVD? Or are the pre-set settings good enough?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4226
A quick search yeilds Best Buy as the cheapest place. It looks like most vendors don't have them yet.

I was sure the TV was what I wanted when buying online. If you're not 100% sure you'd be better off buying in store anyway and have the easy return option.

Unless you're very picky about picture settings you shouldn't need a calibration disc. Once you get it home and connected to an HD source I think you'll pretty much be blown away by the picture quality.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
One more question - is it worth it to buy an extended warranty? I know these TVs have problems sometimes, but if it comes with a 1 yr warranty, does buying a 2 (or 3 or 4) yr warranty make sense?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4227
I always use a Mastercard to purchase electronics, they double the 1 year warranty. I think Visa does the same thing.

According to CR only 2% of Panny plasmas have problems in the first 3 years and most of those are probably within the first few months, that's usually when problems happen. You'd have to have pretty bad luck to ever need that warranty.

I've got a 2 Panny plasmas, one from December '07 and another from June '08, neither has had any problems.

That G20 is supposedly on sale at BB right now, it doesn't say when the sale ends. I didn't see it in the weeklly ad.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
I bought the 50" G20 on Saturday! Hookup was a breeze and the picture is incredible! I replaced a 56" Samsung DLP that I bought in Jan 2004 and the difference in picture is unbelieveable!!!! The picture is MUCH brighter, the colors are MUCH more vivid, and I couldn't be happier.

I haven't tried to connect via the internet yet (need to buy a wireless connecter), but may try this soon.

Thanks to all who helped me through the decision process - the Panasonic G20 is an INCREDIBLE TV!!

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 26
Glad to hear you like the G20. Just so you know there are certain wireless dongles that will not work with the tv. Make sure you get one that is approved by Panasonic.

I hope you continue to enjoy it.

-JT

Gold Member

Post Number: 4231
The Panny plasmas rock. The best TVs available at this time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
The speakers could be better, but I use a 5.1 setup so it doesn't really affect me. I am still blown away at the picture quality!!!!

I'm trying to avoid pausing live TV or watching 4:3 content for the first 2-3 weeks to avoid the burn-in, but this TV is awesome!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4232
Yeah, you need 100-200 hours of break-in, no black bars or static images during that time. After that you're good to go. Picture quality will improve after the TV is broken-in.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
OK, I've gone through 50 pages on the Panny G20 site looking for a wireless adapter that will work with the G20.

Does anyone know of a decent USB wireless adapter thast will work with the G20?

Username: Ahansen1

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone,

I stumbled on this thread while searching for TV information and you all seem to know your stuff pretty well. Could I get your opinion on which TV is better quality as well as which is the better deal price-wise? (for action, sports as well)

Samsung PN50C550G1F $1169
Panisonic TC-P50S2 $999
Panisonic TC-P42S2 $799

Much appreciated!

-Adam

Username: Bamanut

Post Number: 1
Hi. Can anyone tell me if the difference between 720p and 1080p is worth the money. I don't game or anyhting like that. Mostly normal channels in HD and football/golf/baseball. I currently have a 47" LG 1080P, 120hz that I love. I am looking for a second TV and all of the reviews keep bringing back to plasma. I bought an LG 50PK540, 1080p plasma at Sam's today and the volume went out on it so I have to return. I found this thread while researching that issue and now think I should go with Panasonic. Thanks for your help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4243
Without a 1080p source there won't be any difference between 720p and 1080p. Even with a 1080p source you'd have to be 6-7' away to see the difference on a 50" TV, anything over that distance you won't see the difference.

1080p TVs do offer additional settings 720p TVs don't have if you like a lot of options.

Username: Bamanut

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your info David, saved me some $$.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us