Sony tv models to stay away from

Anonymous

kv27fs100 kv32fs100 kp51ws510 KF42WE610, KF50WE610, KF60WE610 the kf models have bulb issues

Anonymous

What about the 27FS120? It's this years newer model.

Lourdes
Unregistered guest
My model: KV32FS100. Why is this a bad model??

Lourdes
Unregistered guest
My model: KV32FS100. Why is this a bad model??

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 76
LoL! Out of the mouth of babes! What an ironic title!

The reason these TV's usually fail is because ppl put them inside furniture cabinets, such as wall units and entertainment centers - they place them up against walls, or worse, put them in the corner of a room. These improper placements prevent air flow and proper cooling, causing the lamps to overheat and fail when they get too hot. Sometimes they get so hot, they actually explode. Then, they blame Sony...

So, yes, please, keep things away from these models... :-)

Lourdes
Unregistered guest
...I see, thx Vin. I think thats what happened to mine (nasty blue tint, picture sometimes goes blank - but sound is ok). Can this be repaired fairly easily by a novice (meaning me)?

TM
Unregistered guest
Vin, Why would putting the TV in the corner of a room be the worse? Wouldn't that be giving space behind the TV.

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 87
These sets need to breathe, literally! By "breathe", I mean cool air needs to go in, and hot air needs to come out. Airflow in the corner of a room is generally very poor. Not only is your TV blocking airflow, but it is also producing hot air, which gets trapped in the corner of the room and recirculated back into the set. It's a vicious cycle.

You have to remember, these things have extremely hot projector lamps inside them, and manufacturers are afraid to stick big fans in them, for fear that customers will complain about the noise. So, there isn't a lot of 'fudge factor' built into these things. The TV enclosure, itself, acts as a heat sink, and cool air needs to flow around it too. Ideally, they should be setting at least 6 inches away from the wall, either freestanding or on a table, with nothing touching the sides or the top.

At least, in a cabinet, or entertainment center you have cool air coming in the front. In the corner of a room, there is no place for the hot air to go, except back into the set...

Unregistered guest
I have the new Sony KDF-42WE655. I've watched the TV for hours and tried to feel any hot air coming out any place around it and couldn't feel any. I have mine in a corner but the sides do not touch the wall. The stand I have it on is deep enough so I have the TV in the middle of it which puts about 3 or 4 inches of space between the wall and the ends of the TV. What do you think about that? Anybody else have this TV?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us