Archive through January 11, 2010

Username: Conedreill1027

Post Number: 8
I just sent this to:

'sonylistens'; 'TONYATSONY@am.sony.com'; 'Sony Support'; 'sonyanswers@sony.com'; 'howard_stringer@sonyusa.com'
Ok we now have 197 fans on facebook and have see two Wega sets shot one just on Fox news and another on youtube.

We need a better offer. Why are customers that have news stories printed about them getting their Wega fixed at 100%? It that what it is going to take? We are all in touch with consumer reporters, Lawyers, BBB, consumer affairs, small claims court. and Sony is getting more and more negative publicity regarding the Wega optical block issue. Shame on you Sony turning your backs on your once loyal customers. Insulting us with that pathetic offer. Blocking us from you Facebook page along with anyone who says anything negative. I am still shocked that a company with the fine reputation Sony had is willing to destroy that reputation and lose sales and loyal customer. I'll be at Best Buy passing out my flyers steering customers away from Sony over the Holidays and so will many of the people on facebook who are all over the country.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2009Dec10/0,4670,USSaintsTVShooting,00.html

This was shown about 15 minutes ago on Fox News. The guy does not mention any problems with the set but he does mention he is stimulating the economy like Obama with his "Cash for Clunkers" program. The set was a Sony Wega so I am sure it must have been defective.
Lets all write to Fox
http://www.foxnews.com/us/ureport/index.html?ChannelAdminGuid=C3D20995-1947-4C37 -B4D3-4ED8EE4A1A85
6 minutes ago • Delete

Bronze Member
Username: Ishscyn

Post Number: 13
Great email, Marianne!

Sony called my home on Wednesday and spoke to my husband. I was at work and not there to talk to them. He said they told him they were mailing me a check for $550, which is essentially half the cost of the repair shown on the invoice I emailed to them.

Thursday, I called the number the rep gave my husband and spoke to "Pat." I gave him the reference number of our "case." I asked him if the OB had been reengineered with glass mirrors as the service man told me and he said he knew it had been redesigned but didn't know details. I told him my concern is that people are now reporting failure of their replacement OBs. He had no response.

I expressed my concern that the offers are inconsistent. Also, I asked him what the warranty is on the replacement OB and he said I'd have to ask the serviceman who replaced it. I told him the part is Sony's, not the repairman's. He said the warranty on the part is 90 days. I told him I'd been told last week by "Liz" in customer service the warranty on the replacement part is 365 days. Again, the conflicting information is troubling. He said, "Maam, you're talking to national customer service center and my information is correct."

I told him I thought Sony should cover the entire cost of the repair because I had registered my television on the website and received no notification of any problem or extended warranty and my optical block didn't fail until five months after the extended warranty on the defective part expired. He said all they would cover is half. I said "okay." I don't know if a check has been mailed. I don't know if they're really going to send it.

If they do I'll be glad to get it. I've already repaired my television and according to "Pat" the warranty on the replacement optical block, which will also fail eventually, is already over. A 90 warranty on a $700 part. Astounding! Not a lot of confidence in their parts, huh!?!?

"Pat's" flippant attitude and unwillingness to apologize for my inconvenience and total lack of sympathy is extremely disturbing.

All of us spent a lot of money on televisions because of the reputation that the original owners and executives at Sony had built. Obviously, those people are long gone. It's the almighty dollar that rules Sony, now. Screw the customer. Make them your unpaid research and development department. In fact, charge them to be your R&D department.

If the technology wasn't ready to be sold and at very high prices, it shouldn't have been. We were duped and defrauded.

I'm so angry!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Does anyone know about optical block problems in other brands of rear projection televisions?

Silver Member
Username: Slinke

Post Number: 101
Cynthia,

Parts have a 90-day warranty, as far as I know.

I have forgotten, have you already had your optical block replaced? If so, Sony may send a check for the partial reimbursement. However, if you have not yet had it repaired, or if you haven't submitted all of your paperwork, it sounds a bit fishy. Also, I am sure they would have you sign a legal agreement with them that you acknowledge that you can take no further action against them as a condition of accepting the check.

I know that there are several models of HItachi's that have a similar problem. Guess what, though, they have Sony optical blocks in them. There are other topics in eCoustics that contain complaints on the Hitachi's. Other models may also have some problems independent of Sony's technology.

Steve

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Hi, Steve,

Yes, our OB went out in late November of 08. I fought and fought with various people on the phone. Spent hours on the phone. Finally, we gave up and told them we didn't want a tiny discount on another tv and that was the only offer they made. We fixed our OB in January. Afterward, I sent letters to Stringer, cc'ing FCC, but heard nothing.

After the renewed activity that's been happening, I sent another letter to various emails suggested by Barb and also, tony at sony. They never responded to the emails with email, but I did get read receipts from the ones I sent to Tony at Sony. Next was the call to my home.

I wondered, too, if they would attempt to make me agree not to pursue further action if I accepted half the repair cost. I'll see if they actually have sent a check. So far, I've gotten nothing. Well, except higher blood pressure.

"I know that there are several models of HItachi's that have a similar problem. Guess what, though, they have Sony optical blocks in them." Why am I not surprised?

Thanks, Steve!

-Cynthia

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
Joe Cliburn,

There is currently a class-action lawsuit in progress for your model. See my Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems/ web site for additional information.

Bill,

You are welcome to pull images of my TV off my web site, if you want to use them for your YouTube video.

Cynthia,

Yeah, it was clear from your post that you had already replaced your optical block. Sorry about my confusion. Let me know if you get your check and whether you had to sign the "release and hold harmless" agreement to get it.

Everybody,

It looks like I have some interesting news coming this afternoon. I have been alerted that I will be receiving a signature-required package from FedEx Express coming from Fort Myers, FL (the location of Sony Electronics' customer service headquarters). It could be a check paying my small claims judgment, an appeal to a higher court, a counter-lawsuit, or some other surprise. Whatever it is, I am in suspense. :-)

Steve

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
It was a check for about $2,300 paying my small claims judgment against them. At least I can give them credit for obeying the judge's decision.

Username: Thebulldoggy

Belleville, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
Hi there...new poster!

I have a 55" Sony Wega TV and this is the picture on it now. I bought it off a senior couple and it had a little bit of the blue blob and it started spreading in the screen over the last few months. The blue didn't really bother me tho, I just looked beyond the blue while watching TV. Now, two nights ago my wife turned on the TV and this was the result. Has anyone seen this big blob in the middle before? After reading all the posts on this forum, I am certain it is the optical block. I am also in Canada...does anyone know any place I can get a cheap optical block?

Thanks everyone!

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Simply_bill

Post Number: 15
Steve can you post a copy of the check?

Bronze Member
Username: Barbblack

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 23
Just offering my thanks and congratulations, Steve. Without all your incredible research and comprehensive website, those of us seeking a resolution to our own Wega nightmares would be wandering in the wilderness at Sony's mercy. Enjoy your victory!

Barb

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
I have started a new page on my web site for small claims lawsuits, which is very preliminary at this stage. It includes an image of the check from Sony.}

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Congratulations, Steve!!! You've definitely earned it!

I would like to echo what Barb has said and thank you for all the help you've been to all of us!!!

-Cynthia

Bronze Member
Username: Smooth54

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 19
Steve- a heartfelt congratulations! Also, I too, want to thank you for all your time and research that you have made available to us. As Barb said without your website we would still be wandering out there, not sure of what to do next. I look forward to filing my small claims as well, I am starting to get organized and will file after the holidays. Again, thank you, and I hope you have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanuka, or maybe a Happy Festivus.

-jim

Username: Ramjet1958

Texas/USA

Hi folks:

I have a Sony KDF-55WF655 that was repaired last June under my extended warranty. At that time, it didn't have the blue blob issues but rather another issue which presented vertical multicolored stripes across the screen (no picture). The warranty has since expired and a couple of weeks ago, I got the beginnings of the blue blob at the lower right corner and across the bottom.

Can someone summarize what the current general status or consensus of what has become of everyone's attempts at resolution? From reading posts here and on the facebook page it appears that there were only a few people who have achieved some sort of resolution, 1) Steve won a small claims judgment 2) someone got Sony to replace the failed part while they only had to pay $150 for labor 3) a couple of folks got their case on local consumer segments of their TV station and got Sony to repair their TV for no cost.

Regards,
Roger

Username: Sonynobologna

NJ

Post Number: 4
Hi everyone.
After appealing to Executive Review Committee, Sony is still offering the same deal (half of repair cost or discount on new TV)...so I guess it's time for a small claim court... Meantime, we are considering to replace a lamp after reading some of the posts, since one of our problems is turning on-and-off and finding out our lampTM is 9852, does anyone have recommendation where to get it ?
We found the cheapest one $88 + shipping from Electrified.com and A Matter of FAX (which has a bad review by BBB and is not accredited by BBB). When we called Electrified.com, they told us that $88 part is not Sony part, it's equivalent part (can't tell who makes it from them...maybe by eReplacement what we cam tell from Amazon?).
Thank you.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 24
Roger...my sense is that the defective Wega issue is entering a new phase. Until Steve filed his small claims court suit, people were flailing around and either hoping for a "better offer" from Sony or that they could somehow become part of a larger class action suit. Except for the consolidated California class action case (which was filed in Feb., 2009 and covers only a few models), not much has happened on that front. (The last I heard, Sony was trying to get it dismissed.) Steve's recent receipt of a significant cash settlement--IMHO--has been a game-changer. Now people understand that it's realistic to expect a fair judgement--and check from Sony--in an individual small claims suit. I filed my suit at the beginning of December, and a good number of Wega owners are now in the process of doing the same. To date, Sony has offered us no better options than the ones you're reading about here and on Facebook.

Username: Rachelle8

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 2
I guess the main lesson to learn from Sony is "Seeing is Believing."

After I wrote my letter to the chairman and both the in-house and outside counsel, Jacob from Sony contacted my husband and said they would take care of the repair. Later on, the story changed and I got the same offer as everyone else: Sony will pay half the repair or give me a discount on a new model. So you cannot believe anything they say until they actually do it.

Jacob denied that the model being offered is old or discontinued. He said I can walk into any Best Buy or other electronic store and find the model on shelf. I told him it really doesn't make a difference because I have no intention of spending another dime on any Sony product unless they fix the TV I have.

Does anyone know how many customers have been affected by this optical block problem and are still awaiting action from Sony? I am asking this because we seem like a ragtag group of people -- not ragtag in the negative sense of the word, but our group is not really organized or cohesive.

I am ready to implement the next phase of my plan, which is contacting the local media. Yet, my concern is that, if I am successful, it still won't help everyone else who is seeking satisfaction. A better option is "60 Minutes" or "Dateline NBC" or some other news program that is seen nationally or internationally. If all else fails, I, too, plan to file against them in small claims court.

Texas/USA

Hi Barbara, I may be interested in doing the same. I live in Texas. In order to file a claim in small claims court, I guess you would need to have a specific "claim" and also provide evidence that Sony was "in the wrong". Can you say specifically what you used for your case? Did Steve ever post what he used in his successful attempt?

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 25
Roger,
Go to the following:
http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-optical block/small-claims-lawsuits
and
http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-optical block
Steve Linke's comprehensive websites should give you all the information you'll need, including a link to the Small Claims Court filing requirements in your state.

Texas/USA

Post Number: 3
Thank you Barbara, I will take a look at those.

Texas/USA

Barbara, can you verify those links? I could not get to either one of them.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 26
It's tough to cut and paste on this forum without having the addresses truncated.
Try http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-optical block
You can get to the smail claims suit page from there as well. If it still doesn't work, just do a Google search on "Sony Optical Block and Related Problems".

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
Here is a link to my Sony Rear Projection LCD Problems web site.

Putting HTML links in this forum is a bit complicated. You should "copy" the http link (putting it in your computer's "clipboard"), then click on the link button (the picture of the globe with the two chain links), then paste the link into the text box, and then click OK. This creates some code at the end of your current message with the pasted link appearing twice within squiggly brackets. The second copy of the link (after the comma) can be replaced with whatever text you want to appear as the link. Or, you can just leave it alone. In addition, you can move the code anywhere within your message. It's not the most straight-forward system, but it works.

Here is the only part of the link that is necessary for my web site:
http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
Small Claims Page

Currently, the small claims page on my web site does not have much information, but I still plan to expand it when I have more time. There is a list of the individual pages on my site along the left side, but here is a direct link to the small claims page.

In my case, Sony first offered $400 off my repair. Then, after a written appeal to them, they offered $600 off my repair. Then, after filing my small claims lawsuit, they offered a free repair. I decided to go through with the lawsuit, though, as I thought I had a strong case. Others may wish to stop at various points along the way.

Replacement Lamps

Regarding replacement lamps, I have some reservations about some of the Internet dealers that sell third-party lamps. You can get them for around $100, but many of these dealers have poor BBB ratings, and you can get the real Sony lamps for about $150 at reliable Sony-authorized dealers (e.g., Vanns.com, OneCall.com, JR.com, BHPhotoVideo.com, TigerDirect.com, etc.). I have heard of the cheaper ones burning out within a few months, in some cases. There's no guarantee that won't happen to the real ones, but I think it is far less likely. And I am certainly not one that wants to see Sony further profiting from these TVs, but it may be worth it in this case.

NJ

Post Number: 5
Hi Steve,

Thank you for your suggestion as always.

Would you try replacing the lamp if you were us ?
To recall our situation, our KDF-60WF655 bought in Nov 2004 started showing the blue border at the bottom over the past few months and finally started to repeat turning on-and-off. The lampTM is 9852.
We are thinking that replacing the lamp will be quick fix (for now until the blue line gets worse anyway), and if it does fix it, we don't have case against Sony in a small court...what would you do ?

Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
Sonynobologna,

Your current lamp has lasted a long time at 9,852 hours, so it is definitely due for replacement. A new lamp will not fix the blue line at the bottom. That is almost certainly your optical block. If the lamp stays on long enough, you might want to take some pictures of the blue line as soon as possible. That way, you can later prove you have the problem without getting a new lamp.

If the blue line just started, you probably have a few months before it gets too annoying (although there is no guarantee), so a new lamp will give you time to consider Sony's offers, a small claims lawsuit, and new TVs.

Option 1: Accept some partial offer from Sony on a new TV. Then, decide whether you want to salvage any additional time out of your current TV. If not, you obviously do not need a new lamp. If you do, you will have to get a new lamp, and you may want to have your optical block refurbished, if the line gets too annoying. In theory, you should get the replacement TV relatively rapidly.

Option 2: Accept some partial offer from Sony to fix your current optical block. You will have to get a new lamp and get the optical block repair done. In theory, this repair could occur pretty rapidly, although it depends on technician and part availability.

Option 3: File a small claims suit against Sony. If you plan to continue to use your Sony regardless of the outcome, you could get a lamp. Since the small claims process may take awhile, you would probably need another TV, if you choose not to get the lamp. Of course, there is no guarantee that you would win the case. However, Sony frequently offers free repair after the filing.

Username: Jaime2767

Jaime Cusson
Orlando Florida
Sony Grand Wega KDF-55WF655
November 2004
jaime2767@netscape.net

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
I sent the following email to TriState Module:

TriState Module,

I maintain a web site called "Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems" that provides information to customers experiencing optical block issues, which currently receives about 500 hits per day:

One of the pages describes repair of optical blocks, and I refer customers to TriState Modules as one option:
http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/sonykdf-55wf655opticalblockrepl acement

Sony has told me that their remanufactured optical blocks are only repaired to the original specifications with the same parts as the originals. Consistent with this, in my personal case, my replacement optical block failed with "blue haze" after about the same amount of usage as the original (~7,000 hours each time).

Some customers have apparently been told that, when TriState Module remanufactures the optical blocks, some changes are made to eliminate the defect. If that is true, I would like to include that information on my web site. So, I am interested in getting some sort of statement about the nature of your repair process with as much detail as possible without revealing any proprietary details. In the absence of a response from TriState Module, I will continue to assume and report that any repairs are only to the original specifications, similar to Sony, and that the remanufactured optical blocks are expected to fail again.

I know that, for many of the optical blocks (like my KDF-55WF655), the blue LCD panel and the filter just prior to that panel in the light path become degraded. Do you use different replacement parts than the originals? What specifically is different about them? Having seen a fully dismantled optical block, I can't imagine that any changes other than the optical parts could be made. I also can't imagine that the LCD panels themselves could be different given their complexity. Have you done long-term testing of your remanufactured optical blocks to establish that the problems do not recur?

I look forward to hearing from you,
Steve Linke

NJ

Post Number: 6
Steve,
Thank you for getting back to me.
We always appreciate your opinion !

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
OK, I posted some more information the small claims lawsuit page of my web site.

Username: Conedreill1027

Post Number: 9
Peg from Sony just called me. Made the same insulting offer; only added if I was interested in other models she may be able offer them at a discounted price. She mentioned they had been contacted by newstations. I told her I the offer was unacceptable and I would be filing in small claims court. They are just trying to look like they are making an offer in front of the news media, and the consumers are being unreasonalble. What a joke. The pressure must be on but Sony is still trying to worm out taking responsibility. Got to love it, the more they squirm the more bad publicity they get. Yet they still won't step up to the plate and "do the right thing" Such a disappointment and so pathetic an attempt to at a resolution.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
I received an email reply from Tri-State Module regarding the nature of their repairs. The representative confirmed that the replacement parts are the same ones that Sony installed during the original manufacturing process, and that they restore the optical blocks to their original factory specifications.

They seem to provide a good service at a cost (~$300+shipping costs) that is much better than other options, as long as you are willing and able to remove and replace your own optical block. However, I would expect the repaired optical block only to last for a similar number of hours (or less) than the original optical block.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 27
These Sony Wega TVs raise the term "high maintenance" to a new level. Let see...new lamps every 1 - 2 years @ $150 each, rebuilt optical blocks every 2 - 4 years @ $300 - $1200. And throw in other various and sundry melted parts and fried circuit boards. Most expensive TVs on the planet!

Texas/USA

Post Number: 8
I sent an e-mail to Sony Support. Here is their reply:

Thank you for contacting Sony Technical Support.

We appreciate the time you have taken to write us. Your email has been assigned Case ID 744699. An email support agent should reply to your letter within the next 24 hours. Occasionally some inquiries will require additional time.

Thank you for your patience as we strive to provide you with the best service and support possible.

The Sony Online Support Team

I have pondered Steve's success. I am puzzled at how a small claims case can be won unless you have proof that the design is flawed. It seems logical that the court would require that you bring in an "expert" witness and/or have independent lab results from a very large population sample showing the that the same design flaw caused the failure in each.

How many sets were sold with the flawed optical block and of those how many have actually failed? If they sold 250,000 sets with these optical blocks but only 10,000 failed then does that constitute a design flaw that should require Sony to replace these sets?

Sorry, I'm considering a small claims case also. Just playing devil's advocate here. Hopefully there is enough evidence that eventually Sony will have to offer us a better compensation than what everyone is reporting here.

Texas/USA

Post Number: 9
On the other hand, I suppose that Sony has already admitted that the optical block design was flawed by paying for the repairs for those two people who had their cases presented by their local news' consumer segments?

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
Here are some arguments I made in my case to establish the design flaw:

- Both my original optical block and a replacement optical block installed under warranty failed with the exact same discoloration issue after a virtually identical amount of usage time.
- I had forum posts and emails from a couple of other customers with my same model who had the same repeat experience. In one case, the customer had three optical blocks fail (original plus two replacements) with the same discoloration issue in a virtually identical amount of time.
- I produced forum posts and emails from dozens of additional customers with my exact same model who had the same discoloration problem.
- I cited multiple Internet sites where hundreds to thousands of other customers throughout Sony's lines of models reported similar optical block problems.
- Sony extended the warranty on the optical block of my model and nearly every other LCD RPTV model they ever produced, and these extensions were not limited to serial number ranges, model numbers, or manufacturing time periods, indicating that the problems were more "global" in nature.
- When Sony customer support personnel were trying to convince me to purchase a Sony direct-view LCD TV at a "substantial discount," they encouraged me to take the offer, because the offered TV did not require an "optical block replacement plan" like my current rear-projection LCD model.
- The lamps in the TVs produce intense light and heat, and the light is converted to heat at various filtering steps. In fact, in some closely related models (all 2003 and some 2004 Grand WEGAs), Sony issued a warranty extension alert based on a defective design that leads to melting, cracking, or burning of the parts surrounding the lamp, and my TV exhibits scorch marks on the inside of the main chassis near the lamp area (I provided a photo).
- The specific nature of the problem is consistent with degradation of the internal parts due to chronic exposure to light, heat, and/or dust. Sony was issued several patents prior to the manufacture of these TVs that acknowledge that light, heat, and dust are the main challenges with LCD projection technology, because they can lead to a shortening of the life span of the parts. These patents describe inventions by Sony engineers to reduce these effects (e.g., glass panels, other heat-conducting parts, heat sinks, radiation shields, heat tubes, and Peltier devices). However, the production TVs did not include any of these inventions.
- The Complaint in a recent class-action lawsuit cites former Sony employees saying that they knowingly installed faulty optical blocks in TVs.
- I served a subpoena for documents on Sony at their headquarters here in San Diego related to their optical blocks. Sony never provided the requested documents or any excuse as to why they should not provide them, so I suggested to the judge that he should consider that a tacit acknowledgment that the optical blocks are known by Sony to be defective.

All of this information and the associated documents, including a copy of my subpoena are available on my Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems web site.

I am not sure which of these arguments, if any, the judge considered important. However, I think they were at least compelling enough for him to ask the question to the Sony representative about whether these blue discolorations are something that is not atypical on these TVs. The Sony representative, who, of course, was under oath, replied that it was not atypical, and the judge responded, "Well, at least that was a very honest answer."

By the way, if anybody has any additional arguments to establish the defective nature of the optical blocks, I would certainly consider adding them to a list on my web site.

Texas/USA

Post Number: 10
Wow, Steve. I am very impressed. If I was a judge I would give you double what they gave for all the trouble you went through.

As I mentioned, my TV went out this past June with the vertical lines problem that Jodi posted a pic of above. The replacement optical block only last until November with a few hours of TV watching per day. Unfortunately I can't report the same block failure twice but Steve, your other arguments are very compelling.

Username: Amazing

This is absolutely crazy! I was shopping online for a new TV for my parents because they had the blue blob problem on their Sony Wega. I decided to Google their Sony and I am surprised to see so many other people are having the exact same problem with their sets. My parents said they purchased their set for the same price people here have mentioned of close to $3500. They were surprised to hear me tell them there were good brand LCDs and Plasmas at the store that weren't Sony for far cheaper.

But this is insane....I never had any idea that the problem was this far-reaching. I'll definitely be sending a link to this page along to them.

Sony is really hurting itself here. I plan on writing them a letter like some people did here, but after seeing the responses, I'm not expecting much other than a chance to vent on behalf of my parents. They have been buying Sony products for a long time now because they trusted the brand name, and that's where Sony is really shooting themselves in the foot here. I think it's good that people are getting this news out. They hurt themselves because after that set, my parents had changed their minds about the brand and they really will after seeing this.

Not only that, I won't buy Sony, and I'll be telling all my friends and family about Sony's unreliable products and irresponsible customer service. Sony isn't standing behind their products, so I'm about to be telling all my TV shopping friends to steer clear. This kind of word of mouth spreads, and it looks like Sony really deserves it.

Kudos to everyone on this site for their action against such a bum product. It was somewhat reassuring to see that other people had such problems with this product and are trying to do something about it.

Username: Thanasi70

Dallas, TX USA

What a catastrophe! I, too have a Grand Wega that I bought brand new along with Sony's extended warranty.My problem with the set
that was purcahsed in 2005 and expires (warranty) in 2.5 weeks
is that the set now continues on (for approx. 25 secs. then dies (both sight and sound) for 20 sec. etc. Trying to get just a repair # assigned to their outside service provider (Quali-Serv) from Sony is practically impossible. A year ago, I had the same experience as they treat you as if you are on trial and trying to steal from them. You wouldn't believe the accusations and run around. Today, a rep from Quali-Serv and I (on a 3 way with Sony Servie) were kept on
hold for over 45 minutes and this is with THEIR service provider.
Their apparent TOTAL DISREGARD FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS
is APPALING. Why should any of us have to BEG for what we bought and paid for and now I see that they apparently sold a product that they knew was defective. I, too, had the blue blob problem about a year ago and had to go through the same hoops to get someone out to service my set under exisiting warrany coverage. PLEASE BOYCOTT SONY PRODUCTS AND SPREAD THE WORD. I feel as though their basic attitude is SCREW YOU!
Why do we put up with this? Spread the word.
Merry Christmas and SCREW SONY!

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 28
Here's my "latest" written offer from Sony. There are four choices this time, and the price for the KDL52VE5 went from $1450 in their previous offer last month to $875. What is probably more significant is the absence of a "repair' offer--supporting my claim that my Wega cannot be "fixed". If I accept this offer, I have to agree to dropping all future claims against Sony. (I am proceeding with my Small Claims suit.) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> KDL40VE5 $500 + local sales tax
> KDL46W5100 $700 + local sales tax
> KDL52VE5 $875 + local sales tax
> KDL52XBR9 $1150 + local sales tax
>

Bronze Member

Texas/USA

Post Number: 11
Hmmm. That is very interesting.

Folks, I never heard back from Sony after the their Support sent the e-mail giving me a case number. Should I have contacted them in a different manner than to submit a question on their support page?

Username: Tdma

In florida it is mandatory that both parties try to mediate a settlement before the court case goes to the judge. I suspect it is similar in other states. You may have to actually file the small claims suit before they improve the original offer to a better (but still unacceptable) offer.

My demand will be complete reembursment for the purchase price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I'm filing in Florida right after New Years.

Facebook - I Have A Defective Sony TV

http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Have-a-Defective-Sony-TV/182875766612?ref=ts

Username: Parplus

High River, Alberta Canada

My neighbor across the street has the SXRD model, a year newer than my KDF60WF655. He had me look at his to adjust the color as it has gone to a green tint. I tried, to no avail, and told him about the optical bock issue. He had purchased the unit from Best Buy, and spent an additional $600 to have the warranty extended four years. Luckily for him, it is still in extended warranty. The Sony authorized service people verified the optical block problem and were to replace it, cost: $2,000 CAN.
Yesterday my friend received a 'phone call from Best Buy, and they are going to replace his Sony with a new TV, instead of repairing the SXRD.
I guess the extra cost of extended warranty is worth it in some cases. If the TV had failed six months from now, my friend would be in the same boat as the rest of us.

Username: Captainb

How do I know if I have the blue blob? I noticed a blue line thing (curvy) at the bottom of my screen tonight. It goes away when I turn the TV off.

Thanks

Username: Wstivale

captainb,
This is the begining of the end for your TV.
Mine did the same thing and progressively got worse.

I have a 2005 model KDFE50A10. What can I do? It is only 4 years old.

Username: Rachelle8

Houston, Texas USA

Here is the letter I sent to Sony and the people to whom it was addressed. I hope this is helpful. As I stated, at first they offered to fix our TV for free, then that story changed to the same offer everyone else is getting, which is half the cost of repair or a discount on a new TV. I don't want another Sony TV. I'm contacting the media and then pursuing action in small claims court. Good luck to everyone in getting a fair and equitable resolution out of Sony.

Howard Stringer
Chief Executive Officer
Sony Corporation of North America
550 Madison Avenue
New York, N.Y. 10022

Nicole Seligman
Executive Vice President and General Counsel
Sony Corporation of North America
550 Madison Avenue
New York, N.Y. 10022

Ronald Wasinger, Esq.
Vice President, Law
Sony Electronics, Inc.
16450 West Bernardo Drive
San Diego, CA 92127

Dear [Insert name here]:

I am writing to you regarding the 60" Sony Grand WEGA television (model KDF-60WF655) that I purchased as a Christmas gift for my husband in 2004. Our television recently developed blue shadows and dots on the screen. My husband called Sony Customer Service and was told there had been a recall on the TV for the problem, but we had missed the deadline. We were never notified there was a recall. Sony Customer Service told us that because we had missed the deadline, if we wanted the TV repaired, we would have to pay nearly $1,000.

After a bit of research, I discovered that the problem with our television was a longstanding one with Sony's LCD projection TVs. Other models had been plagued by the same defect. As evidenced by the class-action lawsuits that turned up, it seems the whole class of Sony LCD projection TVs manufactured between 2003 and 2007 had various problems with the optical block. The problem with our TV, which was manufactured in October 2004, began to manifest itself in early March.

I could go on and on about the problem with the television, but at this point, I'm not sure what good it would do. In an effort to get some satisfaction on this issue, we are about to join one or more of the class-action lawsuits that are still active. Our prayer for relief is simple -- if Sony knew this problem existed with the television (which it seems you did), then we want the TV repaired at Sony's expense, not ours.

But more than that, I want you to know how disenchanted we've become with Sony since this episode began. We have always bought Sony electronics because of the company's reputation. From Walkmans to stereos to televisions, in our minds, Sony was synonymous with quality. My husband worked for a music artist who is signed to Sony Music Entertainment. We have many friends who are employed by Sony. We felt as if we were part of the Sony family.

Well, that feeling of goodwill has turned sour. A 60" television is what the retail world refers to as a "big-ticket item." Big-ticket items such as TVs, washing machines, refrigerators, etc., are not expected to wear out in a four- or five-year span. It's not that they're expected to last forever, but if maintained properly, the customer should at least get 8-10 years' use out of the item, maybe more. I paid nearly $5,000 for that television.

Nowadays, when a consumer seeks to purchase electronics, he can buy any brand: LG, Vizio, Sharp, even brands I've never heard of. But our family generally sidesteps the unknowns. We don't subscribe to the theory that electronics are disposable; that one should purchase the cheapest product and when it breaks down, just buy a new one. That type of thinking is wasteful and, frankly, bad for the environment. But if Sony is unwilling to stand behind its product, then we will purchase a new television, and it will be a Samsung.

In closing, I would hope Sony sees the error of its ways in not footing the repair bill for customers who purchased its televisions in good faith, expecting a much longer life out of them than what we've received. It's just bad business: It breeds customer dissatisfaction and erodes the company's brand. I've read numerous Web postings where former Sony customers are now switching to Samsung and other brands, all because Sony refuses to stand by its products. If it's true that hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, then I suspect a consumer scorned is right behind her. We will vote with our feet and take our business elsewhere. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Rachelle D. Christie

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 29
Captainb,
I'd suggest you read all the recent posts on this site and also spend some time at http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/. Then call Sony at 239-768-7547 and see what they'll do for you. If you're not happy with their offer, investigate the possibility of filing a small claims suit against Sony in your state. You need to know your facts when dealing with the Sony reps, or you risk having them blow you off.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 30
...also, if you haven't joined yet, go to http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Have-a-Defective-Sony-TV/182875766612?ref=mf

Tanks Barbara. I have read all the posts on this site, and that link. I called Sony and they gave me the offer of a new TV at a discounted price for 2 weeks. According to the link, my 2005 model is not covered...
The Sony representative on the phone admitted there is a problem with our TV, but it is not covered. What kind of proof will I need to win in small claims? I am in California if that helps.

Also, does anybody have information on the lawsuit for the KDFE50A10 (2005 WEGA)? I'm hoping if that follows through they will fix the problem.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 31
When Sony says "not covered" it means their "secret" extended warranty has expired on your set. That's true for most of us Wega owners. Looks like there is a class action suit in the works for your model, captainb. (Not sure what that means as far as your being able to file your own small claims suit, but it probably doesn't matter unless there's a ruling in the case). Steve Linke could probably answer this question. If he doesn't respond here, you can email him through his website. The webpage on his own successful California class action suit should give you plenty of useful information.
Barb

Post Number: 5
Is this his website and his email

Username: Lucky623

Hello people!
Add me to the list!. I bought my Sony Grand Wega KDF-55WF655
around 2004. A few months ago I noticed the bright blue color at the bottom left corner of the screen. It has slowly but surely gotten worse.

I thought I was the only one having this problem. I have always put Sony at the top when it came to TV's. But after reading all the comments on this site. I will no longer buy Sony.

Should I even both calling Sony regarding this matter?
Thanks, Narc

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Call them and keep a record. They will offer to give you a TV, then after a slight pause they will finish with for $1150. I have to be one of the larger thorns in their side for the last 7 months and the best I can get is F-U. It looks like it is small claims for all of us to solve this issue. When I called today I got to talk to "Walter" in El Salvador, then Paul in San Diego and even after all our noise they could still care less.

Join us on Facebook - I Have A Defective Sony TV

http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Have-a-Defective-Sony-TV/182875766612?ref=nf

Username: Badsonytv

Add another one to the list!!! My 2004 KDF-55WF655 has been "blue" for several months now!! After reading this page as well as Steve Linke's page (thanks Steve!!), it sems that there are really only two options that make the most sense:

1) If you want to take the substantial time and effort to go through the small claims lawsuit process, that that would be the best outcome.

OR

2) Spend $300 and do-it-yourself replacement of the OB using Tri State Module.

I plan to do option #2 above, then buy a new TV (NOT a Sony) in another 4 years if/when the problem recurs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
"They will offer to give you a TV, then after a slight pause they will finish with for $1150. " This is hilarious, Bill! I'm still chuckling.

And, Barb, I love the "secret" extended warranty!!! Exactly!!!

I gotta' laugh so I don't explode out of frustration.

-Cynthia

Post Number: 6
I believe it is spreading... I emailed (sonybluehaze@gmail.com) and messaged Steve, do you know how often he has the time to respond?

Username: Jongohlke

Add me to the list. TV is 5 years old. Had the blues for 2 of that. Getting worse.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Join us on Facebook - I have A Defective Sony TV

Username: Jaime2767

o Brand: Sony - Grand Wega ($2,999.99 on sale)
o Model# KDF-55WF655
o Serial#: 9020977
o Made Date: Oct 2004 LA3
o Purchase date: Nov 2004 (set & 4 yr extended warranty $450.00)
o Store: Circuit City, Ocoee Florida
o I would like to join as well.

Username: Crashn278

Corey Rash here,

Add me to the list as well. 46 inch has the same blue line at the top blusih green line at the bottom. After reading all this I am even more disgusted with Phony...oops I meant Sony. I have documented live support chat with two different techs who didn't mention anything about an optical block problem. I had a hunch and thought I would see how much an optical block would cost and I was introduced to the world of the WEGA issue. If you were me, what would you do first?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Jaime, I live in Independence right behind Disney. Maybe we should coordinate our small claims filings so we can get the same judge on the same night. That and the list of the other I have with the problem and Steve's win should put us over the top. I have been trying for the last month to get our paper's consumer reporter to do a story but he says he only does complaints that he knows he can get solved. I guess he rigs it so he looks like he has the power to do something for the readers.

NJ

Post Number: 7
We received a replacement lamp on the 24th and tried it on the 25th and it did resolve the turning on-and-off problem.
HOWEVER, the blue line we used to have turned into the blue spots everywhere on the lower left corner !!! How could that happen ???
Did we do anything wrong when replacing the lamp ??? OR itfs just about the time optical block problem to get worse turn ???

We are now ready to file a small claim courtchas anyone file one in NJ ??? or know which location/address do we use ??? We googled it and found
Sony Electronics, Inc. 1 Sony Dr. Park Ridge, NJ 07656cis it the right one ???

Eric, please add us to the list:
Name/Location: SBJ, Whitehouse Station, NJ
Model No.: KDF-60WF655
Year Purchased: Nov 2004
Issue: Optical Block/Blue Spots
Event #: E42660599

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Mine did the same when I changed my bulb. I don't know if it is more heat from a new bulb or the process of changing the bulb moves the dust in the TV. Once it starts there is no stopping it.

There are others from N.J. on Facebook - I Have A Defective Sony TV

Username: Tdma

Changing the lamp causes the dust that has built up in the fan blades to dislodge and it falls into the optical path.

Happened to mine also.

Be aware of class action suits vs. small claims court. Seems the lawyers are the only winners with class action, taking the lions share of any settlement. Below is taken verbatim from Wikipedia.

Criticisms of class actions

There are several criticisms of class action lawsuits.[10] The preamble to the Class Action Fairness Act stated that some abusive class actions harmed class members with legitimate claims and defendants that have acted responsibly; adversely affected interstate commerce; and undermined public respect for the country's judicial system.

Class members often receive little or no benefit from class actions. Examples cited for this include large fees for the attorneys, while leaving class members with coupons or other awards of little or no value; unjustified awards are made to certain plaintiffs at the expense of other class members; and confusing notices are published that prevent class members from being able to fully understand and effectively exercise their rights.

For example, in the United States, class lawsuits sometimes bind all class members with a low settlement. These "coupon settlements" (which usually allow the plaintiffs to receive minimal benefit such as a small check or a coupon for future services or products with the defendant company) are a way for a defendant to forestall major liability by precluding a large number of people from litigating their claims separately, to recover reasonable compensation for the damages. However, existing law requires judicial approval of all class action settlements, and in most cases class members are given a chance to opt out of class settlement, though class members, despite opt-out notices, may be unaware of their right to opt-out because they did not receive the notice, did not read it, or did not understand it.

The Class Action Fairness Act of 2005 addresses these concerns. Coupon Settlements may be scrutinized by an independent expert before judicial approval in order to ensure that the settlement will be of value to the class members. 28 U.S.C.A. 1712(d). Further, if the action provides for settlement in coupons, the attorney must take a corresponding part of his fee in coupons. 28 U.S.C.A. 1712(a).

Username: Crashn278

Is it a problem if you don't have your receipt?

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 32
Really interesting, Mike. I think that the small claims suit approach is the only one that makes sense. Steve Linke has done 99.9% of the research and made it available to all of us. Every state's requirements are different, but in Massachusetts (which has strong consumer protection laws), all that was required was filling out (by hand) a one page 3-copy form (separated by carbon paper...honest!)--no demand letter, no subpoenas--and paying a $40 fee. Unfortunately, the courts in Mass are backed up with landlord/tenant suits, so I won't be getting my date until March. (My Wega should be REALLY blue by then, giving me some great pictures for evidence.)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
You shouldn't need a receipt. If you got it as a gift you are the owner. The fact that you have the TV and there isn't a record of it being stolen makes you the owner.

Bronze Member
Username: Mikedan

Post Number: 18
I accepted the offer of 40% this summer, when it looked like the offers were going away for some people. I have a KDF-55xs955 that turned 5 this thanksgiving. I had the extended warranty through Best Buy, but the blob didn't start until 3 months after it expired. The offer was easy to get, one email to "sonylistens" with a lot of the info from this site got me a call and offer from Mr LeClair. 40% was the best they would do, luckily my repair totalled approx $850.

I paid my share $500 to the repair guy and they paid him the rest directly. I never received anything in writing regarding the payment, and the only thing I signed was saying the repair was complete, as you do with any repair. No releases or anything. The offer was not in writing either.

Now that it seems I should have been entitled to the whole amount would I still be able to file small claims for the $500?What would my chances be? I am in south Jersey if it matters.

Thanks

Username: Jjhawksjj

I just contacted Sony tonight regarding my new found blue haze issue with my 55" TV. Low and behold how amazed I was to find these websites discussing all of the people who are in the same boat.

I too was offered what Sony called a "great deal" to unload my old technology rear-projectio LCD TV. Of course, I told the Sony rep that for me to simply unload my TV and have to pay ANY amount is relieving them of the fact that they KNEW there was an issue with this TV and did nothing to notify me. So I'm one of the unlucky ones who have had this happen after the secret warranty expired and now what am I to do?

I see tons of people saying that they're going to file a small claims cort and others say they have taken the offer of a "discounted" TV.

If you're taking Sony to court, what are you hoping for in return?

Others have said they'll never buy a Sony again. I'm afraid to buy a Sony going forward but now I'm stuck with a TV that's only going to get worse...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Steve won his case in small claims in California and got over $2300. I am getting the paperwork ready to file in Orlando, Florida. I am looking to get about the same. I know it won't return what I paid for the set, but with the price of the new non-Sony sets that will get me one that I can hopefully use for the next decade.

Just got off the phone with Sony Consumer Relations. Very rigid in their stance to only give me an offer to purchase a new Sony TV at a discounted price.

I can't begin to describe how disappointed I am in their unwillingness to take care of those of us who have experienced this optical block problem after their mysterious secret deadline.

I hate to go to all of the hassle of filing in small claims court. I'm sure that's what Sony is hoping is that I'll just break down and buy a new TV. If I do, it WON'T be a Sony.

Signed,
Stuck in Ohio with a dying TV

Username: Cherishgreen

Model # KDF70BR950
Purchase 2 lamps, now optical block needs replacing for $1000 plus labor. Orginally purchased for $10,000 and it appears I missed the deadline for any refund for repair.

Username: Cjfran

Steve,

I have found your website, this forum, I own a defective sony, and others to have a plethora of information! I have literally been on here for hours reading stories identical to my own!

We have jumped through all the same hoops as everyone else, sent emails and snail mails to all the appropriate people, and have been presented with the identical "discounted" tv's (yeahhhhh, right) also the $600 toward the repair. We have not accepted any of these offers and do not plan to.

We have a KDF-E60A20 which we purchased in August 2006. Our "blue blob" issue started in October of this year. I don't believe I've seen anyone with our model post anything, although I did see there is a pending class action suit for the A10 and A20 series.

Congratulations on winning your case! I believe we are interested in filing in small claims court, we live in Indiana, do you know the process for doing this in our state?

I want to thank you for providing so much information regarding this issue. You certainly have done your homework, thank you for sharing!

Cathy F.

Username: Jfaaborg

so has anyone else besides Steve won their case and received a check from sony?

Bronze Member
Username: Lisamcgu

Post Number: 50
From reading this board for over a year, it is my understanding that only two actually got around to it. agn was the first and Steve Linke the second.

Both won, no problem it would seem, with agn not getting as much as Steve (who got $2,300), for reasons stated in the following from his post of July 22, 2009, "As for the decision, the judge asked what I thought the "expected" life of the TV was. I remember reading an article where Sony said something about 8 years. He asked if I thought it should be 10, 8, 7? I told him at least 8. The TV was about 4 and a half years old when the problem started. I think that's why he gave me half. I already had "half" the expected lifespan." Steve used other info (besides Sony) to establish his life expectancy and came up with alot more years.

Username: Jongohlke

Only 8 years? The (now defunct) Circuit City salesman told us 20 years with only the replacement of bulbs. That was why we didn't go with a cheaper plasma that had a 10 year life span. This just gets better and better...

Bronze Member
Username: Lisamcgu

Post Number: 51
That is exactly what I was told, 20 yrs, and that is exactly why I didn't buy a plasma, because it was supposed to "only" last 10 yrs. There is a website which has an expert stating the 20 yr lifespan as well. I posted a link to it once. Not sure where in the past posts it is. It may be on Steve Linke's lawsuit website.

Username: Gothmartha

A quick google of expected tv life span gave me this link:

http://www.flatpaneltv.org/article/flat-panel-tv-shopping-and-tips/the-lifespan- of-plasma-lcd-and-other-flat-panel-tvs.html

LCD tv expected life span is 28 years.

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
Small claims vs. class action lawsuit

You can always file a small claims lawsuit, even if there is a pending class action lawsuit that would cover you. If there is some sort of class action settlement that occurs, you can even opt out of it, if you are dissatisfied with the terms. Currently, the only pending class actions of which I am aware are on the 2005 Grand WEGAs (A10 and A20 models) and the 2006 SXRDs.

Status of 2005 Grand WEGA class action lawsuit

It is my understanding that the 2005 Grand WEGA lawsuit is on hold until February pending consolidation of multiple similar lawsuits.

Satisfaction with class action settlements

In many class action lawsuits, the lawyers make millions, and the consumers get a coupon for a small discount off a new product from the same company that ripped them off to begin with. Often, it seems, the company can make a further profit if you use the coupon.

In the case of the Sony RPTV class actions, though, I give some credit to the attorneys who are seeking free repair for the customers. The main downside is that these actions are taking so long, meaning people effectively have to take the chance on the expensive repair or replace their TVs before the ruling comes in. In addition, the repaired sets appear to have the same problems as the originals, so it might be better to seek a cash refund. For the latter reasons, some may choose small claims.

On a related matter, in the settled 2005 SXRD case, it appears that Sony convinced the Plaintiffs' attorneys and the judge that nearly all of the TVs that would have the discoloration problems would have them by Sony's proposed expiration date. However, many customers are first reporting the problem after that date passed. I don't really blame the attorneys for that miscalculation, but it should raise caution flags in future litigation. Sony has established that they will claim things that either are not true or are insufficiently tested.

No receipt

This could create a bit of a problem, because you may be required to prove that you purchased the TV, as well as the date. There is a "manufactured on" date on the back of the TV, which might be an acceptable replacement, although it is obviously earlier than the purchase date, and the timing may affect your lawsuit.

Paid portion ($500) of previous repair

You should still be able to take Sony to small claims court for this remaining portion, if you have a good case.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Cathy F.,

Here is a link to Indiana's Small Claims Manual. I plan to keep updating the Small Claims Lawsuit page on my Sony LCD RPTV problems web site with more and more information, as time permits.

Steve

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
Cathy F.,

Also, since you have an A20, which is the subject of the pending 2005 SXRD class action lawsuit, you may want to check out the Complaint in that lawsuit for ideas on how to proceed with your own case.

Steve

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
Successful small claims cases

"agn" was the first--the true trail-blazer. He was awarded $650 (half of the repair cost) plus $40 for court costs. However, I approached my case differently in at least three ways: 1) "agn" only requested damages to cover repair rather than the full original cost of the TV, because he was unaware at the time he filed his claim that repair with a non-defective part was not really possible. 2) "agn" did not present any legal arguments (e.g., implied warranties or unfair business practices), so it was up to the judge to determine his standing. 3) "agn" used a very low figure for the expected lifespan of the TV (8 years)--one that was likely influenced by Sony's own highly questionable claim of 7 years (see below). Thus, a significantly higher judgment may have been possible in this case, but I give him full credit for getting things started.

I have added a summary of his case to my web site.

Lifespan of a liquid-crystal rear-projection TV

Sony likes to use seven years, as this is a convenient defense for them. However, I would venture to say that customers who spent ~$2,000-$13,000 on these TVs would be surprised by this figure, that Sony never mentioned this figure in their marketing, and that if new potential customers were aware of this stance (or the fact that Sony has abandoned support for $1,000 repairs after only 3-4 years of usage), they would favor other brands.

As I have mentioned before, in reality, the seven-year figure likely arises from a California law (Civil Code Section 1793.03) that requires manufacturers of any electronic or appliance product that retails for $100 or more to maintain functional parts for repair for a minimum of seven years. However, this does not mean that the expected lifespan of the product is only seven years. That is ridiculous.

Various web sites claim lifespans of flat-panel LCD displays at 60,000 hours, which would be about 28 years with an average of 6 hours of use per day. That sounds a bit on the long side from a gut feeling, though, and you may be hard-pressed to convince a judge. You also have to consider that the TVs in question are not flat-panels--they are projection. However, that could go both ways. On the one hand, the projection lamp may understandably be considered more damaging over time to the panels than the fluorescent tubes or LEDs in flat-panels. On the other hand, the 60,000-hour lifespan is calculated based on the wearing out of these backlights, and the LCDs themselves are thought to outlast the illumination, and, since the lamps in projection TVs are replaceable, the lifespan might be considered indefinite.

In any event, I told the judge in my case, that I thought the TV should last 15 years. The Sony engineer said 7-10 years. I think the judge average my 15 and the engineer's 10 to come up with 12.5 years. Another approach might have been to use "usage hours" rather than calendar time.

Username: Zman78

First day on this site, my google searches led me hear. Needless to say I am yet another unsatisfied Sony consumer. I purchased a E42A10 in 2005 and started to get blue haze switching to green hazes about 3 months ago. I thought it was time for a new lamp, after searching the internet for the best deal I found a Philips OED replacement lamp with a one year warranty for $130. After popping that in today, I was saddened to see another green haze screen (now blue haze) on my almost 5 year old TV. I feel like a sucker spending $2000 on this tv that should have given me another 5 years of trouble free viewing.
I am outside of the U.S. (in Panama City, Panama). Anyone know if there is an international suit or if the class action suits would apply out of the US?
Also, is there any cheap replacement options for a new optical block, refurbished or otherwise? (I remember reading something about a $300 part but don't know if that is what I need and I do want to try and get a few more years out of this tv before it hits the landfill (or shooting range). Needless to say I will never purchase another Sony TV as long as I live after this, from what I read they knowlingly put these products to market with faulty parts.

Username: Homebrewer66

I am glad I found this forum. I have a 2004 Sony KDF-42WE655 Purchased in Nov 2004 with the extended warrantee. I just recently replaced my lamp for the first time and about a month after I saw some blue haze at the bottom of the screen.

I called Sony after seeing the issue with the optical block problem on the web and was only given a choice of a new TV at a discounted price because the extension of the warrantee was over. I tried to escalate higher but was rebuffed.

What I find interesting is the rep told me that if my TV was one of them effected it would have happened no matter how many viewing hours I used it during the extension. I am a Light TV viewer and like so many people chose this TV because I believed I was buying the best TV on the market and paid a premium price.

My TV is not listed on the class action law suit so I used the contact us link on the site.
http://www.sonysxrdtvclassaction.com/main/home.sfx

Username: Rudenbark

Any of you guys know what the story is for non-US *ahem* 'customers'?

Originally bought a Samsung rear projection TV, but that spat the dummy. Got massively screwed by the extended warrentee/insurance company; after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing we (begrudgingly) ended up with a good-as-we're-going-to-get replacement, a Sony Grand Wega KF-E42A10.
Had it for a little under 2 years before the 'blue haze' trouble started, which has gotten progressive worse over the last year (out of work now, out of warrentee, have just had to put up with it). I've only just tonight found out about all this nonsense, which, to be blunt, completely effing sucks.
To rub the salt in, these TVs are still on the shelves over here! Even knowing they're a faulty product; even with the law suits against them; they're STILL trying to unscrupulously palm these things off to unsuspecting customers!

Name/Location: Micah Cameron-Walker, Morrinsville, New Zealand
Model No.: KF-E42A10
Year Purchased: 2006 (pretty sure it's the 2005 model)
Issue: Optical Block/Blue Haze

Just thought I'd give everyone an update on my situation. I received yet another call from Sony yesterday trying to sweeten their offer. Prices a little lower on the TV's they're offering and now they're wanting to pay for half of the repair costs. I told them that I still cannot accept either offer in good conscience knowing that others had their TV's repaired for free and no way could I stomach paying more money for another TV while my current TV is barely 5 years old. Sony is simply wanting me to trash my current TV so I can help them get away from their poorly engineered TV.

They're obviously realizing that this problem is only getting bigger and bigger. I continued to tell them via every method of communication I can find that all of these dissatisfied people are going to purchase other products and also tell other people to NOT buy Sony. Eventally it's going to take a HUGE bite out of their marketshare.

Username: Sze_in_nyc

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to hear what pricing people are getting for the replacement LCD televisions from Sony representatives. I hear that it varies based on the rear projection TV model you are having issues with.

Thanks everyone.

Username: Sdafoe

Yesterday I just received this offer, quite a bit better than originally offered. After reading all of this, I guess my tv wasn't 1080p as I was originally told either.

Great job Steve and everyone else.

KDL46W5100 $100 + local sales tax
KDL52VE5 $275 + local sales tax
KDL52XBR9 $550 + local sales tax

01/11/06 I purchased a Sony KDSR60XBR1 for $4,170 and the matching stand that went with it for $177. The picture was outstanding. What sold me was that I was told that after the bulb burns out you can put in a new one and it's like having a new TV again. Even the TV's today I don't think the pictures are as good as this one, when it was working right.

November 2009 the color started going bad.

12/01/2009 - ABL Electronics came to my house and told me that the Optical Block needed replacing along with the bulb. The Optical Block would be well over a $1000.

So I googled my TV and discovered that there was a class action lawsuit on the Optical Block and that Sony would correct the issue free of charge. But this extended warranty expired in June 2009.

12/10/2009 - I called customer support, I'm assuming the call center was in India and it sounded like they were reading from scripts. I was offered a good deal on purchasing a new Sony TV and I have 2 weeks to either take it or leave it. The biggest one they offered was a 52" for $965 and on Sears.com it lists for $2399.99, it's a good deal but does everyone have $1000 to spend on a TV, especially when I should be getting at least another 6 years out of this one.

Username: Mcneesek

Add another one to the mix of complaints here.

Purchased a Sony Grand WEGA KDF-50WE655 in January 2005. Two weeks ago, we started noticing a line of blue on the bottom about 4 inches high. Now we see a huge 12-14" diameter blue circle in the middle of the screen. On all channels, viewable on TV, DVD, PS3. Optical block, not covered, blah blah blah. Been through the same process as everyone else.

Was offered the following:

KDL52XBR9 - $1150
KDL52VE5 - $775
KDL46W5100 - $700
KDL46VE5 - $600

So now I'm in a tight spot here. Obviously, I'm not paying $1200 to repair a crappy model. But do I drop $1000 for a $2000 retail LCD TV from Sony (again) or buy a different brand?

I'm pretty pissed at Sony, but there is some reality here for all of us to consider:

We all invested in brand new, untested technology (rear-projection). I was a little worried when a year after we dropped $2600, Best Buy got rid of all rear projections and the industry went almost 100% LCD. That made me nervous. Now I know why.

I somewhat understand Sony's position. Dropping $1200 to repair a technology they KNOW is flawed will simply delay the issue when it breaks again in a couple years. They want us all to adopt the better technology, the kind that does not rely on lamps and optical crap, etc.

All that said, I'm PISSED Sony is calling "taking care of their customers" by offering at cost TVs that cost their customers $800-1200 out of pocket. It's a great bargain for all of us...BUT WE HAVE TVs ALREADY that should be working.

I don't want to waste my time in a lawsuit. I don't want to spend $1000 on a new TV, especially with Sony. But what are my options here? I feel backed into a corner and I'm ticked.

Should I wait out a better price here? I saw someone got offered the KDL53XBR9 52" FOR $550. That's a killer deal and would help me swallow this a lot better.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 33
And there's one other issue. Sony began offering these Rear projection sets for sale in late 2003. By 2004, reports were already surfacing of optical block problems. (You can read them in the early posts on this eCoustics thread). Yet Sony continued to produce these TVs--clearly aware of the engineering defect. There is testimony from ex-Sony employees who reported that Sony knew these sets were defective, yet the employees were told to keep installing the bad OB's and package up the sets as new. That is more than "taking a chance on new technology". Seems to me there's a strong case for fraud.

I'm suing. People can do whatever they want. But if you decide to give Sony more of your hard-earned money, do you really trust them to stand behind your "replacement" TV either?

Username: Mcneesek

FOLLOW-UP: After sending an email to customer support as well as the corporate emails included in this thread, support called me back this morning offering to pay 50% of the repair (something they didn't offer initially) or a "great deal on a new Sony."

The offers remained the same as my post above.

My wife and I have done considerable shopping and research over the past 2 days. My gut has told me to not buy another Sony TV after this horrible experience. If I'm out money either way, why would I spend it with a company that gave me a product that lasted all of 5 years? Horrible.

So we have landed on a Samsung LCD LN52B630 ($1400 at Best Buy). If we're going to be out the money, we've done our homework and have found an awesome model with great new technology.

I did give Sony Support a chance to keep my business. A few posts up someone mentioned they were offered the KDL52XBR9 for $575. Not sure if that was a typo or not (our offer ws for $1150) but I gave them a chance to bring their offer down, which they refused.

So we pick up our brand new Samsung tonight at Best Buy. It's a little bitter sweet to be honest.

Goodbye Sony. I will not be purchasing television sets from you again in the future and I'll think twice before defaulting to your brand on other electronics, which is something I've done without thinking twice for the past 12 years.

I feel great about our decision.

Interesting.
I just had a call from Sony Canada. I had sent a letter to, (amongst others), Nicole Seligman, Executive Vice-President and General Council, Sony Corporation of North America in New York. She had the letter forwarded to Carolyn Hayes, Consumer Relations Manager, Sony Canada.

Carolyn is to contact me next week, so it will be interesting to find out her take on the "Blue Flu" issue on my KDF-60WF655 tv. I'll keep you posted.

See posting by Rachelle 23 December, 2009, at 12:38, for names and address of principals.

Username: Jfaaborg

I am finally sending off my demand letter. Can't eait to see what happens. Think I should wait the full 30 days before filing, or just make sure my case is scheduled after 30 day from when I mail the letter?

Username: Tinap

LA USA

Add another KDF-55WF655... blue blob spreading rapidly. Before I discovered this was a shered problem, I had contacted customer support through "chat" & they had no knowledge of any issues regarding this tv... I have the whole chat sequence saved for all the good it'll do.

We will watch ours as long as possible & then it will be replaced with something other than a Sony - you will never see the Sony name in my house again. As a registered owner, we should have been notified.

If our cars are recalled they are "required" to notify us... why is this any different...

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 34
Tina, could you copy and post that "chat" session to this site? It would definitely be useful to the growing legion of us filing lawsuits against Sony.

Sony *should* have recalled all their Rear Projection Wegas, but unfortunately decided instead to issue short "secret" recalls and stonewall instead.

Barb

Username: Zman78

Update from my post of a week ago...My 42" is now in the Sony shop, there was an $84 charge to take the TV out of my apartment and into there shop. If there is a repair needed the charge will be deducted from the cost. We talked to a sony rep on the phone and she was familiar with the Optical Block issue and said that there was a rebuild or cleaning available for a resonable fee (not sure of exact wording or price but was under $200). Supposed to have it back by this Weds so we will see. Note; the repair guy picking it up was surprised to see that it needed work since it was only made in 05. Depending on the result/cost of this repair will dictate if I take any action against Sony. So far Im out of pocket $130 on the new (unnecessary) bulb and $84 on the service call and am waiting for Sony to make good on their product...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us