Samsung HLN507W and Motorola DCT5100: 720p and Component??

Username: Preger

Post Number: 1
Anyone out there have a Samsung DLP (I've got a HLN507W) and a Motorola DCT5100 hooked up w/ Component? If you do, are you able to configure the DCT5100 for 720p?

My DCT5100 only works at 720p when its hooked to my Sammy's DVI input. When I set the DCT5100 to 720p on my Component input, my TV screen flickers and doesn't display an image.

1080i works fine, but since 1080i is really 2 scans of 540p, I really want to run 720p. Plus, the downscaling that the DCT5100 does of 720p channels like KCETHD KTTVHD really sucks.

Thank you for reading and your help!

Bronze Member
Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 65
Philip,
I have the same set and believe the same box. I have tried both 1080i and 720p with component cables. I really could not see any difference and both should work.
THis has been a question of mine since I got my set.
Should you set the cable box to 720p and allow it to convert 1080i signals to 720p.
Or should you set the cable box to 1080i and let the TV make the conversion. I believe the only HD channel that I receive that is 720p is ESPNHD, with the rest broadcast in 1080i. THat goes along with your point of the 720p stations.
Hope this helps.
-E

Post Number: 2
Thanks Eric. My saga continues. I just called Samsung and they told me that I should not use Component 1 for running 720p because Component 1 is "for DVD players only". This is BS in my opinion, but I tried Compo 2 and 3 for the heck of it and had the same problem.

Samsung tech support told me that if I have the problem across all of my inputs then the issue is probably with the Motorola DCT5100.

So I've go Adelphia coming out on Saturday to look at my cable box.

The reason I want to use 720p is that I am a little unhappy with the way that my 720p HD stations look. I've got this weird pixelation that occurs and I'm guessing that its because the DCT5100 is struggling to convert the 720p signal into 1080i output. Maybe someone else knows more about this..

thanks again..

phil

Post Number: 4
Had Adelphia come out and they can't figure out why my TV won't accept the 720p signal on the component input that is sent by the Motorola. Oh well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Philip,
Did they change out your cable box?
Component 1 is 480i/480p only, so you don't want to use this for your cable box.
-E

Post Number: 5
Hi Erik.. unfortunately no, they didn't. A couple of strange things I've noticed:

1. The Motorola works @ 720p through the DVI interface.

2. My Samsung works with 1080i on Comp 1.

Have you tried your Comp 1 at a higher than 480p setting?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Philip,
No I have not as this is the 480i/480p input. This is good for my DVD player or PS2. On the newer sets this input will also accept HD signals.
Definitely have them sawp out the box.
-E
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us