Archive through November 14, 2009

Username: Tricky_460

Post Number: 1
I just had the blue blob appear at the top of my TV yesterday. I have a model KDF-55WF655. I found this message board after doing a web search to find out what to expect for the repair process. Wow, was I in for a surprise. I purchased this in June of 2005 from Circuit City while living in FL. Almost exactly 4 years ago! I am just starting the complaint process, but at least I know what to expect from reading through the posts. I will not be purchasing any Sony products from this point on. I was always willing to pay extra for Sony because I believed that I would be getting a quality product. (Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.) Thanks to everyone here for taking the time to post. At least I don't feel alone.

Username: Bong7r

Northridge, CA United States

I have a KDF-E42A10 purchased on Dec 2005. A few weeks back I received a replacement lamp that I had purchased from Amazon. After installing the new lamp, I noticed a yellow tint in the middle of my screen. I called SONY and was told my warranty is over and I had to spend about $1000 to replaced the optical block.

Well, SONY was giving me a discount on a KDL-46V5100 for $1,200. I don't want to give SONY any more money and I never called them back.

Is there a class action lawsuit for this model TV? I have emailed rlax@lax-law.com but have not received any reply.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Mcjean

Post Number: 27
It's almost as if changing the lamp guarantees the optical block to go. Is it because the old lamp just didn't show up the problem, or is there something in the lamp changing that triggers the problem? I'm amazed continuously, that the offers from SONY have deteriorated to the point that they have. What a piece of junk this lamp technology is, and SHAME ON YOU SONY!!!!

Username: Ishscyn

Post Number: 8
The lamp has nothing to do with the optical block failure. We changed our first lamp about a year after we bought our set and about two years before our optical block failed.

Failure of the optical blocks originally installed on these televisions is inevitable because they were made with plastic mirrors which eventually warp.

The lamps are a different issue. They're essentially light bulbs, which have a limited lifespan (about a year and a half, in my experience).

The optical block should have been made to last the life of the television. Too bad Sony won't admit that was an error and recall the sets.

Username: Kypassmore

OK - I guess I'm another one who has this issue. I have a KDF-50WE655 (purchased in 12/04).

I've read through all the postings and found them to be somewhat encouraging, at least from an understanding of the issue point of view.

I originally thought this was a bulb issue and purchased a new bulb in case the one that I had was going bad. I have had this for over 6 months. Finally, I decide that it was getting too bad and I had to change it. Well guess what, the bulb didn't fix this issue. This leads us into my conversation with Sony this weekend.

I called Sony Saturday morning and was told that I would have to call back today and discuss this with customer relations. Now wouldn't you know that they called me first? I explained that I had this issue with the "Blue Blob" appearing for several months now and explained the above paragraph to them. I further explained that I did not receive notification of a warranty extension, if so I would have called them. I requested that they fix the TV because of their lack in contacting the consumer -- No again! In the end, I was offered a replacement because they sad the warranty had expired.

Their offer:

KDL52V5100 for $1395 plus Tax -- free S&H. (Found on other sites for $1700)

After I came back and told them this was unacceptable, they offered $100 less = $1295 plus tax & free S&H.

I told them no and decided to call Robert I. Lax & Associates in New York for direction. (212-818-9150). mailto:rlax@lax-law.com I encourage anyone with a KDF-WE or WF series to contact Robert with specifics.

Regards,

Bronze Member
Username: Tenshun

Post Number: 27
I was just sent the following by Robert Lax:

Hi Wayne,

I'm afraid you are right and that litigation is a lengthy process, and Sony is doing its best to draw it out as much as possible. We are currently dealing with early procedural issues, and the Court will soon turn to Sony's request to have the case dismissed, which we will of course fight. I will of course keep you updated of any developments, and you can feel free to call me any time.

Best regards,

Rob Lax

Username: Perryd

Amherst, NY USA

I just found this forum after talking to Sony's customer service and having them tell me that they werent aware of the "blue blob". Told me it may be the optical engine and referred me to a service repair shop.

I too own a KDF-55XS955 that I purchased new in October/November of 2004. My lamp burned out on June 8th and after replacing started noticing the "blue blob" appear on the screen. It has gotten much worse over he last two weeks and now I am starting to realize that I may need to replace the tv instead of getting gouged for a $1200 dollar repair for a defective part.

I contacted customer service again after reading this forum and am waiting for someone from the next level to call me back. I also sent a letter to Mr. Lax and asked to be a part of any class action suit.

Any advise?

Dave

Username: Jamison162

I have a 60" Sony KDF-60WF655 purchased in '05, about 4 years ago. I started having the Blue Blop syndrome a couple months ago. I have contacted Sony several times and get nowhere. I was told the "recall" for this defect expired 12/08. How was I to know about this or take advantage of it when Sony did not contact me nor was I expereinceing the problem at that time. I am getting screwed....I will NEVER buy Sony again and everyone I know will be warned about Sony products. Obviously this is a manufactureres defect and not a one-off issue as I read about this all over the forums. All of these models will suffer from this problem at some point in time.

My plan of action is to harass Sony about this issue aby calling another 2-3 times, sending emails. Filing complaints with local BBB, the FTC. Contacing any/every lawyer I have info on to be involved in a class action lawsuit. File a case with my local small claims court here in Tallahassee, FL

I paid $3,000 for this tv and this is UNACCEPTABLE SONY!!!!!!

Post Number: 2
Any helpful info on filing in small claims court? Legal name to sue Sony, etc? Thanks!!!

Post Number: 3
Here's photos of my KDF-60WF655:

[IMG]http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr49/jamison162/IMG_2659.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr49/jamison162/IMG_2661.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr49/jamison162/IMG_2662.jpg[/IMG]

Username: Myhnm

Pennsauken, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 4
I'm making a YouTube video about this to express my feelings and to warn people about SONY.
It should be up soon on my YouTube page: www.youtube.com/hiddennewsmedia
Hopefully the mainstream news will notice that we all spent our hard earned money on defective products and will also put this out to warn people about this company that I would never buy another product from. Ever!

Username: Davisesq212

Just posting a brief synopsis of my issue with a 2005 KDF60WF655. I started getting the blue haze/blob and called Sony. We tried troubleshooting to no avail. I then contacted GE. They are the owners of my extended warranty. I am working with a Sony authorized repair shop in my area. The were at my home within 48 hrs (less if I elected to go with another local shop which I knew was not a good one). The repairman immeditely indicated it is the optical engine and advised me that he needed tocontact GE as to my options. He indicated this issue was very common and that either they will replaced the optical engine or replace the tv. He was unable to go into specifics about replacements on the tv until talking with GE. I will updatethe board when I heard from GE or the repair shop.

I will add that I am an attorney. Suing in smallclaims isnot as simple as everyone thinks. I do not mean to say it is difficult as any person can go in, file and present their case. However, what is not so simple is winning. At this point, I am far fro the small claims route as my problem is being handled by GE. If I need t go the small claims route, I will but it is not as simple as everyone claims. The good thing about small claims is that you don't have much to lose except about $20 for the filing fee. Bringing in coies of posts from this board will mean almost noting to an arbitrator or a Judge.

If anyone has sued in small claims for the OB issue, I would love to know the outcome. So far, all I have heard is people saying they will sue but no one has.

I do want to add that I spoke via chat to 5 Sony representatives in the last 12 ours online about my OB issue and they were so dismissive, inept and well, simply not versed in Sony products that it was truly embarrassing. I am going to send opies of these chat transcripts to Mr. Stringer in the NY Headquarters (ironically about 20 blocks from where I live) and see if he responds. I would be mortified knowing these representatives worked for my company.

One representative claimed that my issue was not an OB issue even though I had not yet described the problem and she ha obviously not been to my home to see the tv. I advised er an authorized Sony repairman had been to by home and diagnosed it as the OB. She actually apologized to me by sayingshe was sorry that the repair person gave me the wrong information! She also denied any Sony Bulletins having to do with optical blocks for my model. I felt like Iwas talking to myself someties and other times I felt like was talking to a wall.

Post Number: 5
Thank you for your post Claudia.

Bronze Member
Username: Allgamesradio

Post Number: 12
It is VERY easy to file a small claims case against a corporation in Los Angeles, I assume it's as easy elsewhere. I called the local courthouse information line and the woman explained exactly what I needed to fill out. It cost 35 dollars i think and then 10 to process serve Sony's authorized agent in the state. I got both fees BACK when the judge ruled in my favor a week after my hearing.
Implied warranty is real, and it reasonable for you to assume a 3,000 dollar Sony TV will last more than 4 years.
As for what I presented. I simply printed the very informative page referenced numerous times in this thread. The information there is very clear and sums up the totality of the situation. If I understood it, I assumed a judge would and that's IMO what happened. Print it out, bring it with you and give it to him when he asks why you brought the case.
Sony will only act if consumers force them to. The biggest selling models got the best extended warranty, the early adopters got screwed.

agn:
It is easy to file a small claims action. It isn't so easy to win and it isn't so easy to collect on a win.

I am curious to know if 1) Sony showed up at the hearing; 2) you presented your case before an arbitrator or a Judge; 3) what 'informative page' did ou present as evidence; 4) what did you sue for; 5) what did you win and 6) did you collect yet?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Claudia:
It was easy to win and collect for me. I have already detailed it in this thread but I will provide the info again.

1. Sony sent an engineer to speak on their behalf. They CANNOT send an attorney to a small claims court hearing.
2. A Judge
3.http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-optical block
4. I sued for the cost of the optical block replacement plus court filing fees and serving fees. Total was 1300 or so.
5. I won exactly half the amount of replacement ($650) plus the court fees and serving fees ($45)
5. They had to pay within 30 days. The check arrived from Sony legal within 14 days.
Considering that every layer of Sony refused to give me anything (I wasn't even offered a discount on a new TV), I am VERY happy. The amount they gave me was exactly what it cost me to get a 50" plasma LG at an auction by a company I worked for that was going out of business.

I can't say it enough. It was SIMPLE to file (30 minutes of my time 40 dollars total)
It was a simple hearing that lasted 25-30 minutes. I simply handed the printout from the page and stated my belief that a TV should last more than 4 years. It's called an implied warranty. Would anyone purchase a 3,000 TV from Sony if you knew up front it wouldn't last longer than 4 years?
Sony extended warranties on every model because there is a defect, they've already admitted that.
Don't let Sony treat you like garbage, don't let them fool you into buying a new TV at a phony discount. Get whatever money you can and get a new model and don't buy Sony TV's.

Amherst, NY USA

agn,

I just tried filing with small claims court in my town and they told me that I could only file a claim within their jurisdiction and Sony doesn't fall in that category. Where should I pursue this? Where can I find Sony's address information?

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Wherever Sony sells TV's, you can file. You need to go to your state website and search for Sony in the corporation listings. There is an authorized Sony rep. in all states they sell products. You file at your local court house because you purchased the TV in that area. Then you have the representative served, my local court did it for me for 10 dollars. Call the small claims dept of your local court and ask them for help, I did and they were very helpful.

Amherst, NY USA

Thanks for the advice. I called my local court and they were a little confused about jurisdiction.
I will call them again after I find out Sony's authorized rep information.

agn
I have to disagree with some of your post.
Sony can send whoever they want to represent them at the hearing. If they want to send a lawyer, they can. Half of the small claims court hearings I participate in, a lawyer represents the party sued or the party suing. By no means do you need a lawyer to sue though or represent you.

If a Judge is requested in a big city such as NYC for a small claims action, you might have to show up many, many times to have the case heard. For example, my last case was was filed in May of 2008. The case was finally heard in June 2009. This was because all parties requested a Judge to hear the case rather than an arbitrator. (if a Judge is requested, you can appeal the Decision but if an arbitrator decides the case, the case cannot be appealed).

The Judge hears about 1-3 cases a night depending on how long the cases are. My case lasted an hour and a half and it was not a particularly complicated case. The case had to be adjourned 8 times because when we went each time, there were cases ahead of us waiting for the Judge (with an older index number). Therefore, many times we waited an hour or two and were told to come back in 6 weeks. Sometimes we got lucky and waited for the 2nd calendar call to end (still an hour) and were told we had to have the case adjourned because the Judge couldn't get to use that night.

This 'delay'/ 'time schedule' is the norm if you want to have a case heard before a Judge. An arbitrator usually gets you 'in' that same day.

I am curious why you only 'won' half. What did the decision say? If you fully proved your case, you should have won the entire amount. Did you end up settling?

David
This link may help you.

http://law.freeadvice.com/resources/smallclaimscourts.htm

It lists all the states with the info about small claims cases (filing etc.) and the link to the court who will hear the case.

David:
I also found this for you.....

NYS Department of State
Division of Corporations

Entity Information
Selected Entity Name: SONY CORPORATION OF AMERICA
Selected Entity Status Information Current Entity Name: SONY CORPORATION OF AMERICA
Initial DOS Filing Date: FEBRUARY 08, 1960
County: NEW YORK
Jurisdiction: NEW YORK
Entity Type: DOMESTIC BUSINESS CORPORATION
Current Entity Status: ACTIVE

Selected Entity Address Information DOS Process (Address to which DOS will mail process if accepted on behalf of the entity)
C/O CORPORATION SERVICE COMPANY
80 STATE STREET
ALBANY, NEW YORK, 12207-2543
Chairman or Chief Executive Officer
HOWARD STRINGER
550 MADISON AVENUE
NEW YORK, NEW YORK, 10022-3211
Principal Executive Office
SONY CORPORATION OF AMERICA
C/O SCA LEGAL
550 MADISON AVE 27TH FL
NEW YORK, NEW YORK, 10022-3211
Registered Agent
CORPORATION SERVICE COMPANY
80 STATE STREET
ALBANY, NEW YORK, 12207-2543

Post Number: 6
Since I see you are in Amherst, New York (and not NYC), you should also look this brochure (link below) over. It is similar to the pamphlet for NYC small claims filings but it has some additional information that you might want to look at.

I am not sure if Erie County has a Commercial Claims Part but if they do, you might have to sue Sony there since they are a corporation. Ask the Clerk.

As you can note on page 4 of this 'small claims brochure', Sony can be represented by an attorney or any other agent they so choose to defend themselves against your claim. I wouldn't worry too much if they do have an attorney represent them in Court as any Judge/arbitrator will really try help someone who is not versed in the law.

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/townandvillage/pdfs/SmallClaimsHandbook.pdf

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Claudia, California law may be different. No attorneys can represent Corporations in Small Claims cases in CA.

A corporation or other legal entity (but not a natural person) can be represented by a regular employee, an officer, or a director, and a partnership can be represented by a partner or regular employee of the partnership, but the representative may not be an attorney or person whose only job is to represent the party in small claims court.
http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/small_claims/basic_info.shtml

The courtinfo site at ca.gov also confirms no attorneys may represent the corporation in small claims court.

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/smallclaims/scbasics.htm#bringlawyer

As for the decision, the judge asked what I thought the "expected" life of the TV was. I remember reading an article where Sony said something about 8 years. He asked if I thought it should be 10, 8, 7? I told him at least 8. The TV was about 4 and a half years old when the problem started. I think that's why he gave me half. I already had "half" the expected lifespan.

Post Number: 7
David is in NY so I provided NY law.

My argument as to the tv might have been similar, that is, the expected life should be 8 years. However, I would have further argued that since the life expectancy should be about 8 years, the tv should actually work for 8 years. Your optical block was defective and would not allow the tv to work, thus you did not get the expected 8 years from the set. To allow you to have a working set, you needed the optical block and that cost $X dollars. Therefore, my argument would have ended with, "I need $x dollars to make it last the extra 4 of the 8 expected years".

The issue wasn't what the tv was worth (which might have been half of what you paid for originally or even less) but rather how long should the tv be expected to last and what will make it last that long. Whatever the set needs to make it last that long, you should have been compensated, in full, for. At least that is what I would have argued before the Judge.

As a side note, I found out this morning that GE (the company I bought my extended warranty from) has agreed to fix my tv and will pay for the optical block and labor. They have since notified the repair shop to order the part. The repair shop is now waiting for the part to come in. I will update once I get more news. As I wait, the blue blob is getting bigger.

Amherst, NY USA

Claudia,

Thank you for taking the time to help push me in the right direction. I did find the DOS website for NYS but was having trouble locating the exact information on Sony (it seems there were at least 10 different possibilities). I will call my local town court here in Amherst about taking Sony to small claims and see if they fall under their jurisdiction or if I have to pursue them through Erie county as a commercial claim.

I'm glad that you brought up how long a TV should last so I can be prepared to make a somewhat educated guess. I agree with your argument that it will take X($$$) to make the TV last the full 8 years and therefore Sony should be responsible for the total repair costs.

I refused Sony's offer from Hank LeClair because I feel spending $600 of my own money to repair the TV doesn't make sense if the part will eventually fail again. Purchasing another TV from Sony seems pretty ridiculous considering how unprofessional they treat us as consumers, and the few hundred dollars savings off the new TV will be moot in another couple months when that TV lowers in price to below Sony's current offer.

I plan on purchasing a Samsung after this resolves, and will always offer my negative experiences with others about the Sony brand.

Amherst, NY USA

Ok...I called both my town and city courts this morning and both are stating that I have to provide an Erie County address for Sony before I can file with small claims.

Any ideas where to find this information? Does Sony have mailing addresses in Erie or Niagara County? Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Username: 79airman

I have an update on my situation. I gave up on Sony and I could not stand looking at the blue blob anymore. I got a very good deal on a SAMSUNG 640 55 inch. Wow, this is SO much nicer than the Sony! The Sony is only 52'' and this is a 55'' with an 80,000:1 contrast ratio, its just a great TV! I will NEVER buy so much as a Sony cable again. The only real sad thing is I have a huge 60'' boat anchor in my living room. I'm thinking of getting fixed by that company that repairs optical blocks and selling of Craigs list. It's funny, I saw a rear Sony rear-projection sitting by the road the other day. It looks like someone else gave up. Good luck everybody!

Heck I don't know what to do now with my 60" KDF-60WF655. It's not 1080 of course as it's 4yrs old but has a great picture minus the blue/purple haze. Recently bought a Panasonic Blu-Ray and it's remarkable. I love the TV otherwise.

It's $175 to file a small claims over $500 in my County.

I'm NEVER buying Sony again no matter what due to the way they have mishandled this situation. I think every LCD RP model has been subject to this manufacturer defect of the optical block. And now they want to sweep it under the rug becasue they no longer use that technology and dont want to support it. Sad, sad, sad! Sony screwed ALL OF US on this deal.

Another thing, I will never buy Samsung either. I'm not crazy abot their tv's and hate the 120Hz or whatever look....totally loses the whol cinema look and feel and looks sooo fake. But I say this becasue I have learned Samsung and Sony share technology, parts and are siad to even be made in the same factories. NO THANKS!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Lisamcgu

Post Number: 44
agn -

As far as I am concerned, you have posted the most useful, informative posts on this thread.

I too wondered why the Judge only gave you half. I believe you are exactly correct in that it was because he asked you what you believed was the life expectancy of your tv, so he went by that.

Personlly, I believe, and would have stated if asked, that the life expectancy should have been at least 15 yrs. And if asked why, I would have said that when I bought my tv in 2004, the LCD rear projection's strongest selling point was that it would last alot longer than a plasma, which was ONLY expected to last 10 yrs. Also, at that time, for those that chose to keep them, many owned old tvs that were lasting 20 plus yrs. While I didn't know if the new technology would last 20 plus yrs, I certainly expected it to perform as it was being sold to perform, longer than 10 yrs i.e. probably something in between = 15 yrs.

And I searched the internet for back up of my thinking, so a Judge would know my thinking wasn't isolated, but was that of an average thinking person . Wish I had shared this on the board before you went to Court agn, but from your posts, I thought you had already done a ton of research. Here it is -

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv/lcdtv-misconceptions.shtml

"Misconception #2: LCD TV sets last forever.
They say nothing lasts forever--and neither do LCD televisions. The average lifespan of an LCD display is 60,000 hours. If watching TV was your full-time job, and you did it 24 hours a day, it would take you almost 7 years to wear out your LCD display. With more normal viewing habits of, say, 8 hours per day, you can extend the lifespan of your TV by a decade or more (to about 20 years)!"

Username: Yankees251

Post Number: 10
News I like to read.

"The loss, equivalent to $391 million, comes as Sony and other Japanese exporters have been battered by declining sales, with consumers cutting back on TVs and other personal technology"

"Sony has lost money on TVs for five straight years, trailing Samsung Electronics of South Korea, which dominates major markets with leaner production and more aggressive pricing."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/business/global/31sony.html?ref=business

Username: Karwal

First of all let me thank individuals like Eric Denney who have truly added value to this forum and have personally helped me in my Sony Optical block problem.

Secondly, I think that many here, who espouse a litigious route against Sony, are doing a disservice to those looking for relief. I have no love for Sony, but I believe this route to be a waste of time for most. The time involved and the cost, depending on your location and court fees, can be counter-productive for many.
If you feel differently, so be it, and feel free to ignore my suggestions.

For those who do not wish to have a $2000-$3000 paperweight in their homes I suggest trying to fix it, which is just what I did.

One only needs a long Phillips head screw driver and a little patience. Take pictures as you go and check out Steve Linke's website (found in this thread). The block can take less than a half hour to take out, but go slow if you're unsure of yourself. Take many pics.

TriState Module in Indiana will repair your block for about $300 plus shipping.

I did, and my TV is back in fine form.
And it was actually very easy.

Don't force anything, take your time and most importantly, make sure the set is UNPLUGGED!

Good luck folks. And thanks again Eric!

$300 and I have another four years of use, thats not a bad investment (depending on use).

And for you true "eco-warriors" out there, think twice before trashing your set.

Well, the repairman came yesterday and installed a new block for me. The set is as good as new. It took him about 45 minutes from walking in my door to walking out the door. If I did not have this GE warranty, I would be a angry lady!

Although I do not agree litigation is always the best route, had I been in the position of not having a warranty and had this optical block problem, I would have sued. It might have been a little bit easier for me to do so as I am an attorney who has 10 years of litigation experience but surely anyone can proceed in small claims. Common sense is all you need.

Frankly, this optical block failure is something that should not have happened. Sony is aware of the issue and is not taking care of it in, what I feel is, a fair and responsible manner.

Bronze Member
Username: Yankees251

Post Number: 11
http://gizmodo.com/5340445/plasma-hdtv-sales-soar-lcd-sales-steady-sony-loses-ev er-more-market-share

Love IT! take that sony!

Bronze Member
Username: Slinke

Post Number: 78
I have been maintaining a relatively comprehensive informational web site on Sony LCD RPTV optical block problems for the past few years. I recently made a significant update of the content, so I wanted to remind people to visit, if you are interested.

Bronze Member
Username: Lisamcgu

Post Number: 45
Wow - Steve's page is like the most comprehensive thing I have ever seen EVER on any subject. Watch out Sony. This is all anyone needs if they are going to small claims. It covers everything, and in detail with links to backup info, including exact warranties that have been offered, pending class actions, expected life of the tv, small claims arguments, ... wow

Bronze Member
Username: Tberte

Post Number: 13
I've been reading that most of these problems have been caused by overheating. I have a KDF-60WF655 and have yet to have a problem, but I'm getting paranoid. Is there anything I should do to prevent this? Can I improve air circulation, higher powered fans.

Username: Rsp

Grapevine, Texas

I started reading this forum when my TV started having problems in October 2008. I have a KF42WE610 that I purchased from Ultimate Electronics on 4/01/2004. At that time I purchased the 5 year extended warranty from them. I went through 3 lamps, a power supply, a warped lamp door and an optical block. The optical block was replaced 12/2008 under warranty. The problem is the optical block is going bad again, only 10 months later. So if you think you are going to get 4 more years out of a new optical block you might want to think again before spending all that money on the repair!

Username: Shas

I just finished reading entire post in this tread. In deed an interesting read. I purchased mine, KDF-55WF655 rear-projection TV from best buy around late 2005. Though I am not a big fan of Sony, as moved into our new home and will need bigger TV, my buddy had suggested I should try Sony. So I went over our initial budget to buy a Sony. Barely 4 years later, I am seeing blue blobs all over the screen and an yellowish colored oval shape in the middle of my screen. I thought give this TV away this weekend but after reading this, I guess $300 is not a bad investment to fix the TV. Hope that it lasts little longer.Upload

Username: Sodawg

Hi all...

I am hoping someone is still active in this thread and can advise if it is too late to get some resolution for my defective TV. I was not aware this was a known issue of a defective part. I figured I was the only one with this wierd issue. Honestly the TV began going gunnysack last October...and due to lack of funds just live with it. Frankly... I have always and only purchased Sony items for my home from Stereo components, to speakers to car stereo to PS2 and PS3, to TV and it astounds me that Sony will not stand behind this obvious mfg known defect. What can I do? Also...for your viewing pleasure, below is a pic of my wonderful } Sony Grand WEGA KDF-42WE655

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
Check out my informational web site HERE.

Username: Sadiep

I just started having trouble with my Sony TV purchased in October 2006. I have been reading these threads and my wonder is what to do! I spoke to sony and they offered me two options. They can replace the OB free of charge (PS a week ago I replaced the lamp for $220) Or they will send me an upgraded TV for $700 + tax. I have a 50" KDF-50E2000 (which I haven't seen any claims on) and they are offering a 52" KDL-52V5100 LCD flat panel unit. Amazon listed it for $1379 and Best Buy for $1799. Do I want another Sony? I didnt spend $7000 like some of you, but $1800 is still enough money for me! Do I want to see how long it will last if I fix it? Any suggestions?

Post Number: 9
I can't even imagine why you're considering NOT letting them replace your Optical Block!!! It really makes me angry that they didn't do that for most of us on this board! Lamps are supposed to have a limited lifespan, but the optical block was not. Take the replacement block and count your blessings would be my advice.

This renews my interest in a small claim against Sony. I paid to replace the defective optical block in my 72 inch television. No offer of free replacement was extended to us.

Hopefully, they won't have rescinded the offer when you call back! Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Sadie,

The advantages of taking the optical block repair, obviously, are that it doesn't cost you anything, and you are not spending any more of your money on Sony products (if you care about that like many of us do). The disadvantage of taking the repair option is that there is no evidence that Sony has ever done anything to correct the defects that cause the problems.

Your first optical block lasted about 2 years before the deterioration became visible. That is pretty average or low average. So, unless your average daily use or the average environmental conditions in your house (e.g., temperature and dust levels) change significantly, you can expect the replacement optical block to last 2 years (until October of 2011). The warranty extensions "conveniently" never last for more than 2 years. The one your model expires in June of 2010.

Before you accept the repair option, I invite you to get definitive evidence that Sony re-engineered the optical block to eliminate the problem. Get it in writing, though. Better yet, get them to throw in a five-year warranty on the repair.

To date, the V5100 direct-view LCD TVs do not have anywhere near the problem reports of Sony's rear-projection TVs. On the other hand, I have seen a number of complaints about them, and other brands are likely better. Other brands may also have much better customer service than Sony should you ever have a problem with them.

Steve's advice is better than mine, and much cooler headed. The whole situation just makes me so angry.

We replaced our optical block on the advice of a local repair person. He told us Sony had reengineered the optical block and replaced the plastic mirrors with glass. I have no proof of that.

We replaced our OB at a cost of around $1200, because we'd already spent so much on the television ( 6 to 7k) and it's got a great picture, when it works. It was worth it to us to spend $1200 more even if we only get a few more years from it. The ridiculous discount offer on another TV they gave us was not even worth our consideration.

In the meantime, we've bought three more televisions and there isn't a Sony in the bunch. There never will be another one in our house. According to the sales reps at several stores, they're down to third or fourth on the recommended list anyway.

I do understand why you'd consider taking a discounted replacement tv under the circumstances. I'm just so angry at Sony!!!}

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
I just wanted to let everybody know that, on 10/23/2009, Sony issued warranty extension alerts for all of their 2007 rear-projection TVs. Now, every Sony rear-projection model ever produced (2003-2007) has been the subject of a warranty extension, a class-action lawsuit, or both. See my informational web site for links and additional information:
http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/

This also reveals a disturbing, but perhaps not surprising, reality related to the class-action lawsuit Sony settled for the 2005 SXRD models. The "Opinion and Order" in that settlement stated on page 4 that Sony had fully resolved the yellow stain issue by September 2006, and that no TVs or replacement optical blocks manufactured after that date should have problems with green or yellow discolorations. Yet, I have emails from owners with SXRD models manufactured in 2007 that got the yellow stains, and this latest warranty extension suggests that it is another widespread problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
The newly covered TV models are:
KDS-50A2020 (KDS-50AL120)
KDS-55A2020 (KDS-55AL120)
KDS-60A2020 (KDS-60AL120)
KDS-50A3000
KDS-55A3000
KDS-60A3000
KDF-37H1000
KDF-46E3000
KDF-50E3000

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Hip hip friggin hooo ray... That STILL doesnt cover the A10 models. Fahk them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
Yes, the 2005 Grand WEGA (A10 and A20) models are the one series for which Sony has not extended the warranty. I'm not sure why--other than sheer cost. The class-action lawsuit on those models is still ongoing, though. Your other choice is small claims court.

@ Steve Linke,
Your website is incredible!
Thanks!

Username: Geidelbus

steve> this has been very helpful to me and i hope your going to give me some good and badly needed advise,my 2004 kf42we610 i have replaced the lamp 3 times and now this week need a new one, got it, took off cover and lamp door warped,i repplaced the lamp and turned it on, it worked but also started to burn, so before a actuall fire turned off and called the only local authorized repair in upstate ny Lake elctronics in albany, they said probably the fan, maybe the optical blocker, the usuall stuff for 225 they;ll come out and tell me how much,, so ai ask at work,sears,get some ideas, and look you guys up,,, so now what,do i log a complaint with sony,plug it back in fire extinguisher in hand,,,,,, or go to court??? sure would like your opinion? thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Grant,

Sony generally makes better offers on TVs with melted parts than they do on TVs with optical block-related discolorations. There is a warranty extension that covers the melted parts. Also, I encourage you to file an incident report with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, if you believe the melting might have posed a safety hazard.

Username: Tradi1

Seems the getsatisfaction.com folks have a limit on negative feedback if a sponsor is involved, so I've migrated here to what is hopefully an impartial forum.

Oct 2009 - I have a 4 1/2 year old KDF-42WE655 with a growing/glowing blue blob & streaks. Started the size of a dime 2 months ago, slowly but surely we're now up to the size of an orange. The streaks expand a little each week too.

Got a call back from "John" with SONY after sending an E-mail to: 'SonyListens@am.sony.com'. My initial customer service experience two months ago was just as futile as this one.

If I pay for an estimate from an authorized SONY repair shop, and send them the estimate, they "may consider doing something" for me. They won't confirm what that "something" is. I have to bear the cost of an estimate first, with no indication they will / won't do something later.

I was previously given the insulting offer to pay retail+ for another TV, or $400 towards a repair. John won't tell me what he might be willing to do, or send me anything in writing.

The SONY legal dept. has trained and scripted them well - they are hunkered down on this.

Aug 2009 -- excerpts from my (answered) letter to SONY...That television has now developed a well-documented failure of the optical block. A blue haze and horizontal streaks radiate from the lower left-hand portion of the screen which impairs viewing. The Internet is filled with postings from fellow consumers reporting the same condition, and sadly, their stories end with the same customer service treatment I received this week. It took several minutes of my time and persistence until I reached a fourth customer service employee, who, after much prodding, offered to: Sell me another television for ~$1,000 -or- receive a $400 credit towards a $1,200 repair (I called an authorized SONY repair outlet for that estimate.) My request for your company to take responsibility, do the right thing, and pay for the repair was denied...

Username: Tradi1

small typo - that should read "unanswered" letter...

Username: Barbblack

Southborough, MA

On November 6, 2004, I purchased a Model KDF-60XS955 Grand Wega from Best Buy for the price of $4,000.00 plus tax. Approximately 2 years later, a blue haze began to develop in the center of the picture, and by the summer of 2007, the "blue blob" was making the set virtually unusable. Even though we had purchased a 4-year service contract from Best Buy, it was determined that the television had a defect that would be covered by Sony, and Sony had their authorized service representative, Elwin Electronics come to my house and replace the "Engine" (Optical Block). At that time, the repair technician informed us that the replacement was a "rebuilt" part. They also turned up the fan speed so that the TV now makes an annoying, high-pitched sound whenever it is in operation. The screen appeared fine after the fix. However, yesterday (28 months after the first replacement) the bluish tinge is once again appearing on the screen.

My call today to Sony "Customer Care" resulted in the predicted result. I was told the TV set was out of warranty and there was nothing that could be done, unless I was willing to pay for another "repair" at significant personal cost. When I told the representative that was unacceptable, my call was escalated to a "Myra" who stone-walled my complaint and informed me that "electronic devices have a short life span." The only thing she would do for me would be to provide a replacement LCD TV: a Sony KDL-52VE5--which is 6" smaller than my current set--at my cost of $1450.00 plus tax (total of $1540.63 with free shipping), but this "offer" would expire in two weeks. Amazon is selling the identical model for $1473.98 with free shipping and NO tax.

I left a message for Hank LeClaire at Sony Customer Care resolution, and just received a call back. I told him I didn't want to get my blood pressure up as many other posters on this thread have done, and he at first seemed sympathetic. He once again offered the replacement TV above, and when I told him I could buy it online for less, stated that Sony was not in the "retail" business. (Who sells the retailers their Sony TVs?) As an aside, my mother suffers from mid-stage Alzheimer's dementia, Trying to have a logical, rational conversation with Mr. LeClaire was reminiscent of my attempts of doing so with her--like down the "rabbit hole". Hank decided to "sweeten" the pie by offering to cover "part" of the cost of replacement of the OB. I asked him if they had made any changes in manufacturing the failing part (glass lens vs. plastic?) and he indignently insisted that mine was a "technical" question of which he had no knowledge. I asked him if perhaps--with all questions he was clearly receiving on this issue--it might be in his interest to learn the answer. To which he...like every other person I talked to at Sony...continued to stonewall. He concluded by stating his "offers" would be available for only two weeks. I expressed my sympathies about how unpleasant he must find his job of mistreating Sony customers, but that I understood that necessity of holding one's job these days, no matter the circumstances.

I am interested in participating in any class action litigation that might be organized and have emailed the law firm mentioned in another post. I am checking into a small claims suit as well as sending in the OB for refurb. I, too, will never purchase another product from the Sony Electronics Corporation.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
Barbara,

I spoke with Mr. LeClaire on 9/21/2009. He identified himself as part of Sony's "Executive Consumer Affairs" department, which, he said, responds to any inquiries that go to Sony executives. (I had sent an email to Sony's Vice President of Worldwide Support, Mr. Philip Petescia, the day before, because he had claimed in the past that the optical blocks had been re-engineered, which is not true.)

At the time, my "best and final offer" with a two-week expiration was $400 off a repair. Mr. LeClaire upped this to $600. Of course, this was another "best and final offer". I told him that I was concerned about having the TV repaired, because there was no evidence that the parts had been re-engineered to eliminate the defect, despite statements to the contrary by several Sony employees and agents, including the aforementioned Mr. Petescia. I further expressed concern that the expensive repair would, thus, not likely change the fact that the replacement optical block would immediately begin to degrade, and the TV would exhibit the same problem again in another couple of years.

Upon my asking the direct question, Mr. LeClaire acknowledged that the optical block had not, in fact, been re-engineered, but that they had been re-manufactured to the original specifications with the same parts. So, he was familiar with and spoke very precisely about the technical aspects of optical blocks on 9/21. I imagine he was told by his superiors to selectively forget that information--poor guy.

Sony definitely has a "canned" response that they are not set up to compete in the retail market, when we express our dismay that their "deeply discounted" prices are virtually identical to the standard prices charged at other Sony-authorized dealers. Funny thing is, Sony has a Price Assurance Policy that includes the following:

"If you are ready to purchase a Sony product and find that exact same product in-stock and advertised at a lower price at any Sony Style venue or Sony authorized reseller let us know and we'll offer you a similar price. Just provide us the proof of price while that price is in effect to get an adjustment."

Interesting, huh?

Steve

Username: Smooth54

Lexington, SC USA

The only good thing to come from my blue haze problem is finding that I'm not alone. I have a KDF-55WF655 and pretty much experienced the same lack of customer service as the rest of you. Steve Linke's site has been most informative and I'm waiting to see how his small claims case is resolved. I haven't gotten to the letter writing yet as I haven't paid to have my problem professionally diagnosed, although in talking to the local authorized (and reputable) repairman, it is evident it is the OB. I guess at this point time is on my side and my eyes have adjusted to the 37" I moved to the living room.

Southborough, MA

So, Steve, are you saying our Mr. LeClaire lied to me? I'm shocked...shocked!
Barb

Username: Sonynobologna

NJ

Hi everyone. Thank you for the very useful information.

We bought the KDF-60WF655 in Nov 2004 and started seeing the blue border at the bottom over the past few months and finally started to repeat turning on-and-off last week.

We did not do our research first so we didn't know about this problem with Sony LCD TVs so we initially e-mailed support@info.sel.sony.com, and the Sony Email Response Team told us bunch of steps to follow but we have had no success so we contacted the local Authorized Service Center as suggested. The manager told us that it's the optical block which will cost $1000 parts and $345 labor.

Then we did some research and found Mr. Linkefs web site. We e-mailed both support@info.sel.sony.com and SonyListens@am.sony.com requesting that the new re-engineered optical block which has eliminated the problem with labor charges included be provided to us at this time along with a five-year warranty on the repair.

Next day we received e-mail back from support@info.sel.sony.com referring us to the Customer Relations Team. We also received a phone call from 800-430-4433 with a reference number asking us call back so we did. The rep told us that the extended warranty for our model expired in June (just 4 months ago!) and offered us 1/2 of the repair cost OR KDL52VE5 for $1450 (Amazon price is $1439) with 2 weeks expiration. She told us that there is no one in customer relations to whom we can escalate our request.

At this point, we are thinking that we either 1) take 50% repair cost offer OR 2) continue requesting for a cost free repair paid by Sony via Executive Review Committee then Small Claim, etc, OR 3) have optical block repaired by Tri-State Module...
Can we take the 50% repair cost offer then request to be paid for the balance of the repair cost via Executive Review Committee then Small Claim, etc ?

Does anyone have suggestion for our next step ?
For those who were able to have their unit repaired cost free, how did you do it ???
What if it's not optical block problem ???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
The "blue border" at the bottom of the screen is almost certainly an optical block issue. Does it look like the picture at this link?

If the picture is going on and off with the light blinking on the front of the TV, you may very well need a new lamp, as well. That will probably be ~$200. This could be a different problem, as well, such as the thermal fuse. Does the sound or whole TV shut off, or is it just the picture? This secondary problem complicates your decision, as it requires additional funds.

It will probably cost ~$300 to have TriState Module refurbish your optical block. Keep in mind, though, that it will probably fail like your original, and you need to have the technical expertise to remove and replace it from your TV.

It sounds like an optical block replacement by a technician would cost you ~$700 after Sony pays for half. However, just like the TriState Module option, the replacement optical block will probably fail like your original. Also keep in mind that, if the part is ~$1,000, Sony's theoretical $700 they are paying you will really not cost them anything.

If you accept the "half off repair" offer, Sony will almost certainly NOT make any further offer. Therefore, you should appeal to the Executive Review Committee prior to accepting any offer, if you are seeking more. I only received the offer for full coverage of the repair after I filed my small claims lawsuit.

My advice would be to send a letter to the Executive Review Committee with a demand that they repair your TV or replace it with a comparable model free of charge. Then, be prepared to file a small claims lawsuit if their subsequent offer is not acceptable to you.

Username: Jeffpete

Mine is similar to all the tales of woe listed here, with the exception that I don't have stars or blue blobs but rather vertical red lines running the width of the screen (I wish I had a blue blob in the corner!) I did have a Sony authorized repairman call it a bad engine light (OB) and quote $1200 repair...and I pissed and moaned to Sony to no avail. Then something strange happened: the vertical lines disappeared and the picture was great again...until we turned the TV off. The next time we turned the the set on, red lines were back. Since then we had one more "clear" period that lasted several days until we once again turned the set off. I'm wondering if anyone else had a similar experience and if possibly a repair might be as simple as a lamp replacement.

NJ

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the excellent website and your quick reply to our questions.

First, to answer your questions:
> Does it look like the picture at this link?
Yes !
> Does the sound or whole TV shut off, or is it just the picture?
Whole TV shuts off.

And more questions for you:
Do you have a sample letter that was sent to the Executive Committee ?
How long did it take for you to settle the case in small claims court ?
Assuming that it will take longer than 2 weeks, once we appeal to the Executive Committee and maybe file small claims court and we do not get full repair paid by Sony, do you think that we can still get at least the initial offer 50% repair cost even after 2 weeks ?
We live in NJ -- do you know where we need to file our claim ?

Thanks.

NJ

If anyone else has answers/suggestions to my questions above, please feel free to comment. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
I'm not sure what is causing the TV to shut off, but it is most likely independent of the optical block. That is a separate area of concern.

In my demand letter to the ERC, I wrote the following sections: 1. described everything that had happened (model number, serial number, Sony event numbers, dates, etc.), 2. I wrote that I felt they were in violation of the implied warranty of merchantability due to their unwillingness and/or inability to replace the optical block with one that lacked latent defects, and 3. I demanded repair or a comparable TV at no charge to me.

If they don't answer you in a way that satisfies your demands within about 30 days, you can file in small claims court. Here in the San Diego area, it was about 5-6 weeks between the filing date and the trial date. The trial took about 20 minutes.

Sony may make a better offer after you file, but before the trial. They improved their offer to a free repair on the day of my trial, but it is up to them whether they keep their old offer open, make a new one, or rescind all offers.

New Jersey small claims info should be available here:
http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/civil/civ-02.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Mcjean

Post Number: 28
Sonybologna... In a nutshell - here is a timeline of my experience with SONY.

My TV started shutting off on it's own and our local SONY repairman said "it's the lamp" and it was. A new lamp solved that problem. However, approx 30 days later and, voila - a blue blob started appearing. My same repairman told me it was the optical block. I ended up opting for the TV replacement from SONY and am still annoyed over the fact that I was basically forced into this decision. Who wants a 50"TV with a blue blob in it? I definitely wouldn't have them fix it, cause it WILL return. No guarantees at all. Good luck with your issue and if you can, get on board with the lawyers. It's about time something was done about this...

Username: Jasonhgc

This is a copy and paste from my earlier post at getsatisfaction.com. I was directed to come over here and post since i seems as though Sony is influencing the site to truncate their posts (the negative ones).

"I responded last Tuesday and my post was conveniently deleted. I have spoken with a few people regarding a possible class action in Oregon. I have recently filed complaints with the FTC and the Oregon DOJ. Yesterday I sent letters to Sony's Executive Review Committee and their Chairman and CEO. The FTC and Oregon DOJ were copied on my letter and supporting documentation. I would like to know how many other people had registered their television with Sony upon purchase and were never notified of the extended warranty or problems with the optical block. That is the reason we register. For product recalls, problems and service updates the affect the television we purchased. Please feel free to contact me at jasonhgc@hotmail.com as posts on this board are likely to be erased since Sony is doing everything they can do control the negative posts. I will updated the board if I get a response from my letters and what I plan on doing next."

Username: Joe_casolo

El Sobrante , Ca USA

I have a Sony 60 KDF-60XS955 which I used to love. I bought it in '04 and have only had to replace the bulb once. I find it terribly convenient that the optical block decides to start failing once the warranty expires on the tv. I am appalled at Sony for the things I am reading on the web. I can't believe such a well established company will not stand behind their products. I for one would love to get involved in a class action lawsuit demanding free repair or replacement in California.

I have seen snippets about a Class Action suit in California, but have not been able to find any detailed information about how to get involved.

Can someone help point me in the right direction?

Power to the people, even if we are TV Watchers!!

Username: Skin052

Hi everyone, lots of info on this problem, thanks to sites like this!!!! I have a KDF-46E2000 with a 3 inch horizontal, transparent red/yellow band across the top and a 2 inch band across the bottom. Started about 2 months ago. Changed the bulb out and of course, no luck. After searching the web I have come to the assumption that I am having the Optical block issue to some degree. I also assumed that my warranty had experienced as I purchased this set in 2006. Having limited service techs in my area, Newfoundland, I assumed I was in for a expensive, out of pocket service call. I finally got around to finding my invoice and to my surprise I had actually purchased a 2 year extended warranty!!! Called them up and they said that I had another 3 weeks before my warranty expired!!! Made a service request and was told to expect a call within 2-3 days from a repair tech. I am hopeful that the service tech understands this common problem and suggests that they simply replace the set. I know I am pushing it but I am also very persistent and happen to work in the IT & AV world so am hoping some professional courtesy will prevail. I will keep you updated if anyone is interested.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Tony, yes, I am interested. Keep me updated. If you are forced into a repair rather than a replacement, please be persistent in getting a statement (preferably in writing) on whether the optical block part has been re-designed and whether the part you receive is brand new or refurbished. A comparison of part and serials numbers on your existing and replacement optical blocks would also be valuable.

Steve

Lexington, SC USA

Now I'm faced with a dilemma, my KDF-55WE655 with the blue haze has shut down. Seems the flashing red stanby light indicates the thermal fuse is blown, so in order for me to have the repair estimate done so that Sony can make me an offer, I will have to replace the fuse in order for the tv to work so the repair tech can see that the OB is defective, and from what I've found online the repair should run about $200, not sure what to do at this point. Ideas anyone?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Jim,

Did you mean KDF-55WF655? Does the red standby light blink 6 times? If so, you are probably correct about it being your thermal fuse.

If you have some technical skill, it is possible to replace the fuse yourself, although you do so at your own risk and that of your TV. The part itself should be available for <$20. For example, if you go to the Sony parts site, and enter "191002393" in the part number search box, you will get the thermal fuse for a KDF-55WF655, which appears to be $4.80 (plus shipping and taxes).

Google "Sony thermal fuse" to find a number of sites describing how to do it. Here is one example. You can also use my site as a guide, because I have pictures of optical block replacement on the same model.

Steve

Lexington, SC USA

Steve,

Yes it is the KDF-55WF655, and I do have some technical skill. I am going to order the part and will let you know how the process goes. I checked out your link and it looks fairly straight forward. Again, thanks for your help and knowledge. BTW, how's the small claims process going?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
The trial was 10/28/2009, and I am expecting a ruling in the mail in the next week or so.

Username: Ronl1940

Sioux Falls , SD SUA

Steve,
In your post:
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 12:44 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, the 2005 Grand WEGA (A10 and A20) models are the one series for which Sony has not extended the warranty. I'm not sure why--other than sheer cost. The class-action lawsuit on those models is still ongoing, though. Your other choice is small claims court.

I have a KDF 42WE655 with the OB problem. I have called and been stoewalled by Sony CS. Is there a class action on that series TV? If so would you please post the particulars on it so I can check it out?
I had the lamp replaced in April and this problem came up about 2 months later adjusted for time we were not in the home using the TV. I'm an old Navy trained ET and worked in field service for Xerox for 38 yrs so I'm going to take a look and see if the door is melted like I've seen in some of the pix.
Thanks for all the help and the great site!!
Ron

Southborough, MA

I was chatting with a friend at a canine sports event this weekend about my travails with my Sony RP TV. While listening, she had a strange look on her face and then told me that she had a Sony RP TV with the exact same issue (as well as other defects)! She thought it was just a problem with "her" set (like so many others who haven't searched the internet and have been so carefully kept in the dark by Sony.) Small world?

Sioux Falls , SD SUA

Nope! Door was not melted. Cleaned out the dust from the fans and reassembled the OB nice and clean. Still has the prob of course.
I'm sending a letter to Sony tomorrow and will call the people who've been pointed out ot us by other posters.

Username: Sam_i_am

North Pole, Alaska USA

I too have fallen victim to Sony LCD RP TV. In Jan 2005, I bought a WEGA KDF-42WE655 at Sears in Fairbanks, Alaska with three extra year's warranty. The TV worked great until May 2009 when the lamp went out but this was expected. I purchase a Sony replacement lamp.
In mid Oct. 2009, I noticed a blue blob in the center of the screen. I web searched for the problem and solution. I was astonished when I found this forum. I have always bought Sony equipment TV, stereo, video camera and playstations because I believed they sold quality equipment and supported the equipment.
I called Sony today to ask them how they would handle my problem. I received the run-a-round and apologies for the inconvenience. However, there was nothing they can do and not aware of any color block problem, but I can call Sears and have it repaired. I called Sears and informed how Sony treated me as a customer and that I thought they should back their customs and they apologized for my inconvenience but told me it was a manufactures problem. I told Sears, who I do all my large purchases through that I will shop around for the best deals from here on.
All of you have been a great help on how to empower ourselves against corporate giants that feel the consumer is gullible and ignorant. They play on the fact that we are too busy or lazy to fight back.
I'm starting the process suggested here to take back the consumers right to expect quality merchandize from any vendor. This may cost me a little time and money but I will reap the benefit of knowing honesty and integrity should be a part of all businesses. I refuse to buy anything from anyone that will not stand behind his or her merchandise if I have a choice.
Thank you,
Lisa, for getting mad at Sony's arrogance and being through, Cynthia, for being concise. AGN, for dealing with the problem directly and following though, showing that we can if we try and teaching how to walk the slippery steps of law. Cindy, for your knowledge of the law to help us clarify those slippery steps that will need taken. Steve, for you tireless work and through thesis on the subject to help in this endeavor. I will be sure to follow these steps in order and to the end.
I just wish Sony showed more concern for their long time customers. I guess their fall in sales show how they feel about customer relations.

Username: Chestnut4173

I was getting daily emails from Get Satisfaction from people with the same optical block problem I have with my Sony 60" Grand Wega TV but I have not received an email since 11/8/09. Is that site no longer forwarding emails?

Southborough, MA

Latest Update:
I sent an email to the "sony cares" email address mentioned on an earlier post as having people who might actually *listen*. Got an offer of $300 toward the optical block...looks like it's dropping? The customer "service" rep (with a very pronounced accent) sounded like she was readling from a prepared script. Sony now has clearly circled the wagons. I got off the phone as quickly as possible without being rude...but it was amusing to have recited all the details in her script to her before she said the words. Steve, any word on the results of your small claims suit yet? I'm preparing mine right now. (Only $40 to file in Mass. and the courhouse is just 5 miles away!)

Username: Spratman

Reno, NV US

Well, all, sorry that I have been riding your coat tails for the past few weeks without joining in.

I am the not-so-proud owner of the Sony KDF-60XS955 with the dreaded blue blob issue. I was reading Michael Frederick's post on Get Satisfaction http://getsatisfaction.com/sony/topics/sony_grand_wega_blue_blob_kdf_50we655 which had the phone number for the Director of Customer Affairs, Hank Leclair. (239) 768-7625. When I called him he was a little taken back that I had his direct number and asked how I got it. He had me provide my model and serial number to him and then a few days later offered the standard "Authorized Service Center" $600 repair option or the $1400 (with FREE SHIPPING!) KDF50VE5 (which I cannot find) rear projection TV replacement. Two weeks to make a decision, but don't call him back; anyone at the 1-800 number can assist me with my decision. I think not. I like Mr LeClair... I think we ALL should call him. He is most helpful; well, not really. Paying Sony $1400 for a smaller, rear projection TV that they don't even sell at BestBuy anymore, Hmmm... um, No!?!

I'm with Shawn Murphy in that I am ready to get busy here... make this my new favorite pastime.
Let me know how to help or join in all of your fine efforts.

Lexington, SC USA

Just left a message for Mr. Leclair and will wait to hear from him. I will be polite AND direct if and when we talk. I'm waiting for my thermal fuse to arrive, it actually priced at $4.80 and about $3.00 shipping. Not bad and I bought it from Sony. I will install so I then can have the set professionally diagnosed so I can see what Sony will offer me. Everyone, give Hank Leclair a call, he's waiting to hear from you!

Southborough, MA

Daryl,
The replacement TV offered to you by Mr. LeClaire is not a rear projection, it's a straight LCD and the model number is KDL-52VE5. I have the same model 60" RP TV as you and my second Optical Block is now failing. (The first was replaced by Sony in July of 2007...set purchased in 11/04 for $4000.) Talked to Mr. LeClaire and got the same run-around...except that he refused admit that he had any knowledge of whether the Optical Blocks had been re-engineered, even though he admitted to Steve L that they had not been.

Lexington, SC USA

How about that, the part came today so I hope to have a picture (with blue haze) by Sunday. Remember to call Hank Leclair at 239.768.7625

Username: Tyler5806

I recently ran into an issue with my sony 50" LCD that i purchased in 2004 model KF50WE610. I have purple spots all over my screen they range from the size of a dime to the size of a quarter, one area is just turning into a big blob and they are progressively getting worse. I contacted Sony before coming across this forum and they said my model did not have a problem with the optical block. I found this website on one of the members of the forum http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/
it shows my model on here so i would like to know what are my options?
Sony said that i need to call out a repair man to investigate the problem. Is there anyone that could give me an idea of how to go about this?

I find it hard to believe after spending over 3200 on this TV that is is junk after only 5 years and of course all of this happened after my warranty ran out.
thanks Kevin

Username: Simply_bill

"Hello Alll. How are you today?

So, first of all those of you with WEGA customer service needs that I have not connected with yet, I have a contact for you in customer service named Tony. I want to get you guys connected with him, because he will personally review each case and see what can be done for you. Tony's email is TonyAtSony@am.sony.com .http://www.facebook.com/l/;sony.com. If you need customer care or service please send him an email. Include your Full name, phone number and any customer numbers like work order, support case, sales order number you have. You can also include product or serial numbers if you have them... any details to help speed up the process. In the subject like write "Your Name" From Facebook. Also, please copy me at sonyblog@am.sony.com http://www.facebook.com/l/;sony.com. Please don't expect an answer over night.. it's going to take some time to review each case.

I know you are frustrated... and it sounds like many of you have been for a while. Like I said in an earlier post, figuring out how to make you Sony Fans again is at the top of my mind and has been since the first note I got from Jim a few days ago. That being said, I'd like to ask you guys to respect the other people who come here and are fans. In addition, I'm doing my best, I'd appreciate that you consider your tone with me too.

It's Friday night here in San Diego.. yes, Friday the 13th. I hope you all have a good one. I'll check in over the weekend for any emails from you to make sure they get where they need to be.

Sukhjit
http://www.facebook.com/l/;twitpic.co..."

To see the comment thread, follow the link below:
http://www.facebook.com/n/?%2Fvideo%2...

Thanks,
The Facebook Team

Username: Gofgolf

Thanks to Lisa and Steve and other unsung heroes for their amazing work.
I've nothing really to add other than one more name to the list.
Was a loyal Sony customer to the point of exclusivity.
Amazing how similar our experiences have been. The bean counters at Sony probably have written us off.
Own a KF42WEF610 with about 80% blue screen. To those of you with only a few 'stuck pixels' enjoy it now because it spreads like cancer.
Where is the lawyer among you to initiate the class action suit?}}}

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Kevin,

It sounds like you have the purple fingerprint optical block problem. This is most likely caused by dust/smoke accumulating on the LCD panels and/or adjacent parts. This particular problem was excluded from the extended warranty, although that is expired anyway.

It is a bit complicated, but it is possible to try cleaning these parts. As long as the particles are not burned onto the parts in your optical block, you can probably improve the appearance. You can also pay a technician to do it, if you do not feel comfortable. You could also ask Sony for some compensation and/or file a small claims lawsuit. Check my web site for an outline of your options.

Steve

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
By the way, I am still awaiting a final ruling from the judge in my small claims lawsuit. I presented a fair amount of technical detail and recent case law, so he wanted time to review that before making a final decision. For the rest of the cases he heard in my session, he made immediate rulings.

By the way, Sony's sole defense was that the TV's express one-year warranty had expired, and that they had made the standard offers to me.

Southborough, MA

Thanks for the update, Steve. It sounds like a good thing that the judge is taking so long. Hopefully he's finding this whole issue as outrageous as the rest of us have. I eagerly await news of his decision as I collect documentation for my own case.
Thanks so much for everything you've done to help us all seek fair treatment from Sony.
Barb

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
What the hell are you talking about Bill?

We Sony Wega Victims have effectively taken over the Sony's Facebook pages. They can't get out their happy message because every post they make one of the hundred people I have led there will post about their Wega's optical block defect. The post above is the response on Facebook from the Sony rep. I figured as long as we complain in the shadows, Sony has the upper hand. Now that we control their social network sites around the world, they are going to have to take notice. Honestly who other then us Wega owners see this page? On Facebook Sony sites around the world the message can hit from 4000 to 300,000 depending on what page I post on.

She wants us to send are info to tonyatsony@am.sony.com. Honestly I think that they hope maybe 25-50 people will see the post they can work a better deal and the problem will go away and they can move on with their happy posts. What they don't realize is that we have sleepers on their site. They settle with us, the next group will pop up.

I posted about my issues a few months ago. Well, like has been said, the blue blob has spread like wildfire. The tv is almost unbearable to watch and we are having burn in issues as well now. It is most definitely the optical block. $2,800 and the tv lasted 4 yrs. Model KDF-60WF655. I have gotten nothing but ther unaround from Sony and got screwed with the whole "expired" warranty recall. Sony needs to make this right.

We should all band together and come up with major plan of action. We need to all contact both this Tony guy and Mr. LeClaire and any other Sony Representative who has been mentioned in this long thread.

We should also agree on a time frame of 2-3 days where we all jump on board and hit them at the same time. Let's start a sign up list so we can track for oursleves the nu,ber of folks we have onboard here. We all should post photos of our screen also...I have progress pics from the start to how bad it is now. I will try to upload them and edit my thread and insert them at some point. I challenge others to do the same.

*****Just Copy and Paste the information below and ADD your name to the list, keep the list going with each post.******

1 Name/Location: Eric B., Tallahassee, FL
Model No.: KDF-60WF655
Year Purchased: 2005
Issue: Optical Block/Blue Blobs

2 Name/Location:
Model No.:
Year Purchased:
Issue:

****Just Copy and Paste the information below and ADD your name to the list, keep the list going with each post.******

2 Name/Location:
Model No.: KDF-55WF655
Year Purchased: 2004
Issue: Optical Block

OFFICIAL CALL SONY AND COMPLAIN DAY!!!!

Let's Make Thursday & Friday DECEMBER 10th & 11th the day we hit them hard. That is about 4 weeks away. I will try to gather all contcat info. and post in one nice organized thread. This may not do any good, but it can't hurt either.

Folks, you can post this info. yourself. No need to email me.

****Just Copy and Paste the information below and ADD your name to the list, keep the list going with each post.******

2 Name/Location:

3 Name/Location: Debbie N., Grand Forks, ND
Model No.: KF60WE610
Issue: Optical Block/Blue Spots and blue haze

Southborough, MA

2 Name/Location:

Contact: jerrynelson4173@gra.midco.net1 Name/Location: Eric B., Tallahassee, FL

4 Barb Black, Southborough, MA
Model No: KDF-60XS955
Purchase Date: 11/2004
Issue: Optical Block replaced 7/2007; Failing again: 11/09 (Blue Blobs)

Southborough, MA

(Reposting, Sorry. This site isn't very cut-and-paste friendly.)

2 Name/Location:

Username: Spratman

Reno, NV US

2 Name/Location:

5 D Spratley/ Reno NV
Model No.: KDF-60XS955

Username: Rsp

Grapevine, Texas

2 Name/Location:

5 D Spratley/ Reno NV

6 Robert Pavlicin
KF42WE610
4/01/2004
Second Optical Block, Third Lamp, Second Power Supply, Second Lamp Door.
rpavlicin@verizon.net

Sioux Falls , SD SUA

2 Name/Location:

5 D Spratley/ Reno NV

6 Robert Pavlicin
KF42WE610
4/01/2004
Second Optical Block, Third Lamp, Second Power Supply, Second Lamp Door.
rpavlicin@verizon.net

7 Ron Lorton
KDF 42WE655
June 2005
Optical block Problem
Event # E42607648
rlorton@aol.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us