New Samsung HL67A750A stretched images in WS

Username: Jack_ballard

Post Number: 1
My new tv won't seem to allow me to watch a channel that is presented in widescreen format such that it makes use of the whole screen. In other words if I select 4:3 it's obvious that the signal is WS because there are black bars above and below the image (and obviously on either side) . If I select 16:9 the image stetches to the full width of the screen but does not get any taller. I'd like to make use of my whole screen without any loss of image (zoom) or any distortion of the image. Did I miss something when I read the manual?
Thanks,
Jack

Username: Jack_ballard

Post Number: 2
My satellite reciever (not HD) is connected to my DVD recorder via component cables. The DVD recorder is connected to the tv via HDMI on HDMI1. The satellite is also connected to the tv via S-Video.
Using the HDMI 1 source I have the option of using 4:3, Just Scan, 16:9, Wide Fit.
4:3 choice indicates that the channel is broadcast in widescreen format.
Just Scan gives a stretched image that utilizes the full width of the screen but not the height;
16:9 is similar;
Wide fit uses more of the vertical height of the screen but cuts off some of the sides of the image.

Using the S-Video input directly from the Satellite to the TV gives the choices of 4:3, 16:9, Zooms 1 and 2.
Same as above the 4:3 indicates a widescreen broadcast;
16:9 give a stretched image not using full height of screen.
Zoom 1 uses the full screen but cuts off edges of picture.

The manual says that Just Scan should show me the full image without any cutoff when using HDMI 720p/1080i/1080p. or when using component 1080i/1080p. Is a non HD satellite receiver less than 720p? If so it appears there is no way for me to get a full screen as broadcasted without any stretching or cutoff. I'll keep playing with it...
Somebody please tell me I've overlooked something...
Thanks,
Jack
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us