American needs tv/video/dvd in the UK

Username: Karenmac

Post Number: 1
I am planning on moving to the UK and taking my US-formatted DVDs and videos with me. I have found multi-region video/DVD players and televisions online in both the US and the UK. I understand that I need both my players and my tv to be multi-format. Is this true?
If so, am I better off buying them in the UK or here in the US?
What do you think of after-market add-ons to make the devices multi-regional?

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1385
Karen,

I posted on June 12 on this question, from another.

Using US DVD player model DV-563A overseas ?

It will make life much simpler if you buy a player, video or DVD, designed for the UK market in the first place. Also the TV. There are many issues you can get around, but it is easier not to have to.

You should certainly get a multi-region DVD player (region 1 and 2), and one that will play video in both PAL and NTSC formats. VHS tapes are the same in both countries, I think. DVD-Video discs are the same, usually, except for the "Regions" scam and for the fact that there is a different video format. In UK, most players will play both NTSC (US) and PAL (UK). I think the problem is in going the other way - many US player will not play a PAL disc.

I read that Warner is quietly introducing a new piece of code on region 1 DVDs to stop them being played in "multiregion" players. I just hate the way the industry seems to think it is OK to restrict choice in order to secure market control.

Having said that, I have maybe 10 region 1 DVDs and they play fine on two different "upgraded" region 2 players (NAD T532 and T533). I have a computer on which the DVD region has been changed more that the allowed number of times, and it is now locked in region 1 only. Real DVD players do not have that problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us