Samsung HL-S5687W - No Picture or Sound

Username: Rainman6279

Post Number: 3
Hello,

I bought our Samsung 56" DLP HDTV in April with no problems until now. I was viewing some photo images and video clips with my canon coolpix connected to AV3 when the screen turned blue then went out completely.

Before I replaced the lamp I did not verify that the old one worked or not. I was just going by the lamp led blinking and some help forum tips.

Symptoms after power on are: LAMP LED blinks, LAMP comes on, LAMP LED stops after about a minute (all LEDs are off at this point), TV powers itself off and lamp shuts off.

I unplugged it for a few minutes. After reconnecting it and powering it on the same symptoms occur.

Could this be a ballast problem even though the Lamp lights?

What would you recommend as far as troubleshooting the problem further?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Username: Avidtvwatcher

Post Number: 1
I had the same problem with my Samsung R6167w just last night.

Username: Tbold

Post Number: 3
Ray or BG,

Did you ever get this fixed? If so, what did the trick? I have the same problem and replaced the Digital Board, but that didn't work.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 131
The problem you are describing seems to be a Ballast issue... Does your TV make a clicking noise when the power is pressed? A single "strong" click, or multipple "weak" clicks?

If you would like to replace the ballst in Your HL-S or HL-T series TV (Which includes your HL-S5687W) you can purchase it at the link below for only $66 bux:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/product-p/ballastbp47-00037a_bp47-00033a.htm

Step by step detailed installation guide is available here:

http://guides.fixyourdlp.com/samsung/bp47-00033a.php

When the TV went out, did you hear a whining or screetching noise? The HL-S and HL-T series lamp based projection sets are notorious for failing of the colorwheel... Colorwheel can be found at the below link for $79.99...

http://www.discount-merchant.com/Samsung-Replacement-Color-Wheel-HLS-HLT-Series- p/samsungcolor_wheel_bp96-01579a.htm

Installation guide can be found here:
http://guides.fixyourdlp.com/samsung/bp96-01579a.php

I hope this helps... i don't see anything else that might be wrong with your TV other than the Lamp, ColorWheel, or Ballast...

Please let me know the results.. It's good information for all of us here!

Post Number: 4
ovadoggvo,

My HLR5667WAX has the same syptoms as described by Ray. I have tried replacing the ballast, but it did not work.

I am curious about the "Sounds" you are describing, as these can obviously be mis-interpreted as I listen.

When I hit the power button the Lamp LED blinks, the Lamp illuminates, it makes a "Click" sound, and it makes a "Slight" "Whirring" sound.

Could the very slight whirring be a faulty Color Wheel?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 139
Terry,

I just posted in the other thread on this... but I see your new post here with more detail!

That is it! The slight whirring noise is your colorwheel not being able to spin! Change the colorwheel. Even though it may look fine phisically, it has a sensor board on the colorhweel housing assembly.. At times the sensor goes bad due to the heat generated by the colorwheel and the lamp.. In this case I RECOMMEND buying the colorwheel with the houseing!

When diagnosing your TV, specially in a forum like this... It is VERY important to describe details... It helps me, help you!

The HLR series are infamous for damaged CW Sensors due to heat!

Let me know what happens.. Ray and BG, you guys probably have the same problem! I would wait for further confirmation from Terry.

Username: Vjhouston

Post Number: 1
Ray, Terry or BG

Could you please let me know how you guys fixed your TV. I'm having almost the same problem for my Samsung HL-S4666W . Only the lamp on the back of the TV is still on.

Symptoms after power on are: LAMP LED blinks, LAMP comes on, LAMP LED stops after about a minute (all LEDs are off at this point), TV powers itself off

Cheers
Vj

Post Number: 5
Vj,

Unfortunately, my TV is still not fixed. I tried replacing many different parts (DMD Board, Power board, Digital Board, Sub-Detector Board, Color Wheel) based on suggestions from this forum, as well as from repair folks. None fixed my TV. Now down for about 3 months.

I have given up on trying to fix it myself and had Best Buy come look at it. They say it is the Sub-Detector board, and have it on order. Once they get it(next week) they will schedule time to come replace it. I have already tried replacing it and it didn't work, so I am going to let them do it and then go from there. If it works, great. If not, then they will need to figure it out.

I will let you know when I get it fixed.

One thing I have learned from this forum and experience- SAMSUNG SUCKS!!

I received very poor CS and I will never buy another Samsung product (TV or otherwise).

Take care,
Terry
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us