DLP-LCD Motion Issues

videoguy
Unregistered guest
I am amazed at how many people are buying the LCD and DLP technology. It certainly has advantages over CRT based Rear Projection TV and has some disadvantages as well. Is noone paying any attention to the way these TV's handle fast motion? A football game is a great demonstration of this. I have taped HD Footage of a Football game and on LCD and DLP TV's the motion is simply horrible. When the ball is thrown downfield it is no longer a ball when it is in air, players who are running down the field have no numbers on there jerseys until they stop running, and even the yard markers and pylons blur as the camera moves. This would drive me nuts. I mentioned this to someone at Circuit City and he claimed someone had recently returned a Samsung because he noticed issues on motion. The Circuit City person said he couldn't see it. I think there is going to be some unhappy folks come football season.

Your just mad because you bought OLD technology!
Unregistered guest
Why don't you go and buyone. then you can tell us if we will all be unhappy, C'mon be a guinea pig!

Bronze Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 86
about motion artifacts. I hooked up a DVD to
a reg CRT tv and guess what motion artifacts. So
i know it wasnt the TV. What about some movies
you watch on HBO or Showtime etc. you see artifacts, theres a chance that the artifacts are
coming from the station. I havent had a chance
to watch football in HD yet but the TNT NBA
playoffs in HD was nice, no artifacts at all.

Bronze Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 19
Sounds like motion blur. That happens when an object moves faster then the camera can follow. I know some LCDs pixelate during certain motion blurs, so I would be more concerned with pixilation then outright blurriness. Motion blur is a fact of life, try taking a camera to a football game and taking perfect pictures every-time. Wont happen.

Unregistered guest
I have just tried the marantz DLP VP12s3 projector and the image was clean on stationary images and pixel sharp on motion retaining detail and shape on objects as the shoot across the screen, hooking up a games console just blow my mind very natural colours with out a hint of Blurr..

Well done Marantz keep up the DLP advancement I cam not wait to get some 1080i HD info to see if i can upset the projector..

Bronze Member
Username: Martini

Post Number: 75
almost seems like DLP tvs are only good for HD and not SD. anyone agree?

Username: Harbinger77

Nashville, TN

Post Number: 6
Martini,
I would agree with you. That's been the main reason I haven't bought one yet. I came REALLY close a couple of times, then I would have the salesman change the signal to an SD signal on the tv and I change my mind. The way I've heard it is that non HD televisions are "more forgiving". Apparently the HD picture is so good that it pics up all the flaws in the SD signal. I'm hoping that the new HD2+ and xHD3 chips help, but I'm not holding my breath. I keep hearing "garbage in...garbage out'.

Bronze Member
Username: Martini

Post Number: 85
Fredzky,
Yea I'm the same way as you are. I really want one of these tvs because it will easily replace my 32" tv and will only take up more width, so I don't have to pull the tv stand out further since these things are only 15+ inches in depth.

I really think I can wait for more brands and Sammy models to come out. I have only done online research and a quick glance at BB or CC for these tvs. I really need to do some testing and questioning of them in person.

Now you seem to be in a similar situation as I am Fredzky, I don't have a HD signal through my digital cable provider. But I can get it but just see a need for it right now. So all I want one of these tvs for is to play PS2 games on it, play my DVDs, and watch regular tv.

Anonymous

I've had my Sammy HLP-5663W for 2 weeks now..and very unhappy with the motion pixel blocks watching fast moving objects... This would not be good when Star Wars gets released on DVD in a few months. Whether it's DVD or HBO HD movies...there is a significant motion problem... I was told to turndown the sharpness and brightness levels...that helped out a bit ...but not a whole lot... Even watching ESPN-HD during the homerun derby... there was some motion pixel blocks... now I'm contimplating on returning the set... and going back to RP CRT set.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us