Lost HD?

Username: Dshow

Post Number: 1
I have basic Comcast analog cable. A few months ago, I purchased a new Sony HD TV. When I set it up and it scanned for channels, it found 5 or 6 digital channels which were the local HD channels 50 or so miles away. We have enjoyed those channels for several months. A month ago, we stopped receiving the channels (no signal). I played around and removed a splitter and bought an amplifier and started receiving them again for several weeks. Now there gone again.... I've got the amp up as high as it will go and even connected the cable coming into the house directly to the TV and still nothing.

Is there anyway to get the local HD channels back without getting Comcast's box and paying them an arm and a leg each month?

Would they have added a filter so I could no longer receive them?

Thanks-

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3587
Get an antenna. I get all of my local HD channels with an antenna. Most are about 45 miles, some are 65 miles.

Go to antennaweb.org and see what size antenna you need and where to point it.

Username: Dshow

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply. I called a local antenna guy and was talking to him about my options. He suggested I program the channels again and sure enough, Comcast had moved the local HD channels. I found them again so now I have happy. Plus, I now get ESPN HD which I didn't before...?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1865
­
Enjoy those channels while you can Dave, because they're going to go away again.

DM is right, you need a good antenna installed, that way you'll be able to watch the major local channels in HD, and at the same time, you'll be able to survey the vast array of dreck available on regular cable.
­

Username: Excableguy

USA

Post Number: 1
Dave,
Local Primary Digital Broadcast on cable systems are in the "Clear" and you should always be able to pick them up with good signal quality. Local Broadcasters have other digital channels that are not required to be in the "clear" (encrypted) on cable, but you can pick them up "Off Air" (antenna).

ESPN is usually a pay extra service (encrypted), bundled most of the time. Enjoy ESPN HD while you can, someone at the cable company will find there error and encrypt the signal.

Here is a little extra;
If you have a HD cable box or cable card (that works with your HDTV) and you are paying for say... Discovery and TNT analog. If the cable operator has these channels in HDTV format, you should be able to view the HDTV version at no extra charge.

Bronze Member
Username: Imjross

NJ USA

Post Number: 26
AutoProgram channels frequently....jr
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us