New Controller Board for old LCD TV

Bronze Member
Username: Msvara

Post Number: 39
I have a Samsung LN-R328W LCD TV where the HDMI jack actually broke off at the back. It was due to the constant unplugging and plugging in of multiple HDMI devices. Anyhow so I still have a warranty and called them up. They will replace the control board inside the panel.

So my question to everyone here is.
1. With a newer control board will I have better contrast ratio? Or is that based on the LCD panel itself?

2. Will I see a better quality image with the new panel?

I'm hoping this has happened to other people out there. Share your experiences.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3563
The new board will have the same specs as the old board.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Are you certain? This happened to a friend of mine and he was given the same board but they had newer processors on it and the picture quality was phenomenoly better than before. I'm hoping the contrast ratio will improve. I guess my next question would be is that based on the LCD board or the processors?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3566
I'd have to see that to believe it. It may have just been that the old board had problems. The inputs/outputs aren't usually even on the main board, they are usually on a seperate board.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
I downloaded the schematics PDF of my TV and the HDMI plug is soldered directly to the main board that contains the Processor and decoder etc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Okay so I have confirmed it. You do in fact recieve a brand new controller board. I compared the version numbers and my original is version 3 the new one is version 3.2. Picture quality seems marginally better. I'm noticing more dark colours and enhanced lines.

In conclusion if you have a samsung LCD TV or any HDTV for that matter that has a poorly soldered HDMI jack and are still within warranty. Break it and you'll receive the latest version of your board. The tech even told me that when you buy the TV it's typically a few revisions old. The other thing you can do is obtain the tools to flash the controller to the latest version of the ROM code.

Good luck to everyone and happy HDTV'ing :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us