Larger LCD televisions?

Username: Chris13

Post Number: 1
am leaning towards buying and LCD television. I want a large television in the 52 to 60 inch range, however this size range is currently very rare. Plasmas are plentiful in this size range but I have heard too many problems associated with plasmas such as their low lifespan (lasting for only about 5 yrs.) and high energy consumption. The salesperson at best best buy has convinced me that LCD is the way to go. My question is that will the size of LCDs increase by the end of this year and will they cost about the same as large plasmas, which are currently much cheaper. An 52 inch plasma is approx. $800 cheaper than a 52 inch LCD. Also what does it mean that LCD screens are more prone to defective pixels?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3495
If you're looking at an LCD that size, it's a projection TV. It's the lamp that needs replaced when they go and they aren't real cheap. They don't have dead pixels like direct view TVs. I don't know what you're looking to spend, but the Sony SXRD TVs have amazing picture quality. I don't know how reliable they are, you may want to do some searching on that.

Post Number: 2
Flat panel LCD televisions are available in the 52 inch size.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1337
Here are a few if you have the money

Toshiba and Samsung 57"
http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/28461.html
http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/29814.html

Sharp 62"
http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/27686.html

and if you really want to splurge

http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/27076.html

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 399
Christine LCD is the worst technology out there. Don't listen to that crap about plasmas they are better and less expendive than LCD. Check this out. http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4172307

Post Number: 4
Every electronic store that I have been to, the employees say to go with LCD over plasma. This could be the fact that LCDs are more expensive than plasmas, but I've been reading about all the problems associated with plasmas. My biggest concern is the lifespan of the television. Many say plasmas die after 5 years and that they are much heavier and use more energy. This is why I have choosen LCD over plasma.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1267
There is a life for eveything including LCD
And it depends on your usage habbit
Nothing last forever
LCD 2-3 years longer life over plasma

But I do LOVE my Panasonic 42" plasma
I would recommend Sharp for LCD
And Panasonic for Plasma

Stay away from Samsuck and Sony
King

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 201
Plasma is the go to choice for display technology other than front projectors. Motion Blur, asymetric non replaceable bulb wear, somewhat limited viewing angles, pitiful contrast ratios ( lightbulbs cannot reproduce shades of black at all) as well as color inaccuracy issues make LCD a non option for true quality movie viewing. Its fine for a TV though.

At 60,000 hours to half brightness, simply doing the math shows plasma technology outlasts its usefulnesss by far do the math. Hell of a lot cheaper at 52 inches for example.

Post Number: 6
What about burn-in? Has that problem been completely fixed by plasma makers?

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1269
Christine please disregard post #201 completely
Bad information
Light bulbs got the terminology name of CRT (Cathode Ray Tube)

3 CRTs known as RGB Display (Red, Green, Blue)
RGB can produce Black and shades of black
100% black= 0 Red, 0 Green, 0 Blue
50% black= 147 Red, 149 Green, 152 Blue (H=214, S=3, B=60)
White= 255 Red, 255 Green, 255 Blue
AS YOU CAN SEE ALL/ANY SHADES OF BLACK maybe produced.

LCD is a Liquid Crystal Display
Plasma is a gas display
Both can produce thousands of shades the difference is the type of electronics components and intesity of display

Don't ever buy a TV cuz someone says 20,000 contrast colors or burn-in

You want an HD TV
You choose 720p, 1080i, or 1080p
1080i is always a great choice
You make sure it is one of these 3 nothing less

Let me make it simple:
Wanna an LCD get Sharp
Wanna a Plasma get Panasonic

If you want an HD then don't worry about burn-in or shades of contrast.
If you do worry then HD is not for yo

So I repeat LCD yo get Sharp, Plasma get Panasonic
They are both fantastic HD TVs
DON'T GET ANYTHING ELSE

If you got a small budget then get AKAI Plasma
No Hair, No Protron, no Sylvania, no Philips nor Pioneer

This is a good shop online for bargins:
www.ecost.com
However I always advice to buy from a walk in to store. You can check for bargins but I always say UPS shipping can damage sensitive Plasma and LCD electronics parts. Stores get TVs transported by trucks.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 202
Incorrect information as usual from the king of ignorance.

Flat panel LCDs work via many small light bulbs behind the screen. They are not replaceable by a consumer, and some would say by anyone. The reason why LCD flat panels cannot reproduce black levels accurately is because, simply stated,light bulbs are either on or off, so you never see, for example, shades of dark gray or black in a trenchcoat in a dark scene from..Sin City, for example.

Simple comparision of contrast ratios show LCDs to lag FAR behind plasmas. SED would have had the best image quality but it doesnt look like SED will happen anytime soon. On brands Panasonic is a good bet. Pioneer will not accept returns anymore and I dont thnk that that is a good policy for a consumer.

As far as LCDs, Sharp makes good LCDs but Samsungs are also excellent. Although technically possible to get burn in with a plasma, its almost unheard of in the residential setting. You can see it in busway staions, airports, and las Vegas betting areas where 24/7 displays have held static images for days or weeks, but thats about it.

Olevia also makes excellent LCDs at this point.

Good luck!

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1270
Are U telling me my 25 years of superior electronics experience is built on wrong foundation?
Cuz for a moment I thought someone trying to teach me LCD and Plasma.

Maybe it is time for me to retire at age of 45
And let new generation to take over
LOL

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1283
My name is BEANLaden
LG is good too
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1345
LCD or plasma, according to this you should probably wait

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/25/business/yourmoney/25TELE.html?em&ex=118836000 0&en=5261d1255957be1c&ei=5087%0A

Bronze Member
Username: Ferrari

Post Number: 12
If you have the money i believe the new Pioneer Kuro's/Elites are the next (best) generation plasma tech out there. I will wait till the price on a 60inch drops a bit but that will be my TV in 3-6 months. LCD's are good second tech. I think Sharps look nice but i am suspect of their build quality and i don't have anything else made by Sharp so what does that tell you? Samsung is not bad. Panasonics are second to Pioneer in current Plasma tech.

If you aren't a big movie buff and don't watch alot of HD then LCD is fine.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 204
King-- you are one of the least knowledgable people I know when it comes to hardware display technology. If you don't think the light source for flat panel LCDs aren't light bulbs, then you really need to start all over. What exactly do you think is the light source for flat panel LCds? Jelly beans?

WE have done this so many times. You spout a bunch of cr-p that is so patently false and then try to cover up instead of admitting you are wrong. Which basically revolves around every one of your sentences on this forum dealing with display technology. You know so little but write so much. Try to reverse that equation. DO us all a favor. Leave.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1293
My comments were intended to your lack of electronics to this quote:
"( lightbulbs cannot reproduce shades of black at all)"
So go learn general electronics and come back chat with me. Yo waste my time with your bash.

And when yo do know one day what I do for a living yo won't post crap like this anymore.

I don't post my resumes in forums.

Silver Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 102
Consider your room lighting. If you will be watching in a brightly lit room, LCD would be a better choice. If you will be watching considerably off axis, consider plasma. Plamas do have better black levels and generally a better picture, but better quality LCD's do a very fine job as well. If you are a serious gamer, go with LCD. Both Marc and King are knowledeable and listen to their practical advice. Unless you are a geek, you can disregard their technical disagreements. The jury is still out on how long either technology will last. Proper adjustment of brighness, contrast, backlight etc. will likely prolong the life of either set.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 205
Sorry King- look at the contrast ratios of LCD vs Plasma. The numbers speak volmues. Light bulbs, in the simplest sense- are either off or on--thats why LCD contrast ratios are inferior to plasma.

But in reality, you didnt know that the light source in an LCD flat screens came from light bulbs in your August 26th post. You stated that LCD = Liquid Crystal Display (The crystals arent a light source you buffoon!)

Like I said, stick with signals and programming. You dont have the knowledge regarding hardware to post in the plasma/LCD forum and have proved that many times.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1298
Dude yo R in a world of your own
What I said is what is written up there (read it slowly)
There is no black light!!!
All display components are RGBs
I repeat my comments were about a wrong statement yo made due to your lack of electronics education.
"( lightbulbs cannot reproduce shades of black at all)"
What about screens?
And yo got the guts to tell me my information is incorrect!!!
Huh, a pizza delivery boy won't speak like that.

Your concept about colors is all wrong!!!
Don't expect a free seminar from me about colors.
Listen to Dennis about resolution he got it right.

I did say LCD and Plasma both great yo won't go wrong either way it is a personal preference.
You are far away from my league dude. When yo see me make a statement yo can bank on it.
Take a chill pill.

When yo send a reply yo don't have to start with wrong information as yo always rush to judgment. Just put your views and let the reader decide. I picked on your comments to only to give yo example of what yo say. Yo R entitled to give your opinions but not entitled to tell me to leave. Enough is enough no need to trash every thread yo leave replies.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 207
OP-

LCDs provide quite clear and bright images. IN darker environments you lose shadow detail, meaning shades of black and gray, say in a dark trenchcoat--it all just looks black.

Plasmas do a better job with dark scenes and shadow detail. Burn in isnt really a consideration unless you leave a static image on the screen 24/7 for an extended period.

For " TV" and LCD is fine-- as a basis for a true home theater, most folks choose plasma or a fron projector.

Post Number: 7
Thanks for all your answers everyone. But I just got more confused. I was leaning towards buying the 52" Sharp Aquos, but after reading this thread and the thread about the Sharp banding problem I'm not sure what to do now. If burn in is not an issue in plasmas them I might now go with a plasma.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1317
Great choice
Trust me yo won't go wrong with 52" Sharp LCD
I personally prefer LCD for anything over 46"
Just shop around well

Sharp is#1 for any LCD products not Samsung
Certified by
King

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
King(please forgive for subject change), what's your take on the Olevia LCD sets? I've heard they do a great job for the money but I haven't seen one yet.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1324
Dennis
I don't have any experience across Olevia
It maybe great it maybe as cheap as Emerson or Sylvania
IT ALL DEPENDS ON Components and assembly factories how they were transported etc.

I would stick with 2 proven quality brands like Panasonic or Sharp.
I wouldn't say stay away
There is no right or wrong it is what you prefer
Sony by far is the most advanced electronics TV makers on the planet. What I think it is over priced and break more often than Sharp and Panasonic. I feel the same about Samsung

52" SHARP Aquos 1080p LC52D62U is for $2800 (PC Richards)
50" Panasonic TH50PZ700U 1080p is for $2300 or 1080i for $1650

For the money panasonic 1080i is a great choice
For product and quality I'll pick Sharp 1080p

It is how much are yo willing to pay

Stay away from Philips, Pioneer and Samsuck
Toshiba, LG and Akai are OK

To answer your question I'll say no to Olevia cuz I only go with several years proven product not product of the year or product of last year's. Consistancy has a great value to me.

This is my opinion there is no right answer or wrong answer.
King

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I can't believe someone is saying stay clear of Pioneer's when they make the best Plasma's. It like saying stay clear of Porsche's since i drive a Hyundai and can't afford one...

Doesn't make sense. Take a look on the net for the last review of the Kuro- nothing currently comes close.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1348
#1 Plasma is Panasonic Quality and Value
There is no comparison

I did say may opinion
I gave my testimony based on pixel resolution on products they already produced.
And reliablity to life of its electronics
Pioneer is great in DVD players and Amplifiers

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1349
People let me give yo AN example on how average person can get duped

Pioneer
60" Widescreen LCD HDTV - PDP-607CMX
1365 x 768 , 720p Display Format
Price ($4000)
Pixel is usually per sq inch
768 = 720p
This is not even 1080i
YO BE THE JUDGE

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
That is probably last years model. The new Kuro's are just now coming out.
They are 1080P. They will be significantly more $$$ (especially Elites) than Panasonics but you get what you pay for. Kuro's have deeper blacks than any other Plasma or LCD FP yet measured. Anyway, enough with this buy or sell what you know.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1350
This is what they got on the shelf today

Here is another bad example on how yo can get duped
$1800

PIONEER 50" HD PLASMA TV PDP-507CMX HDTV
1365 x 768 , 720p Display Format
}

For $1650
Panasonic TH50PX75U 1080i
WITH TRUE 480P/720P/1080i Capabilities

I don't think it is a geat idea to base performance on future release. In my Bible it is on current performance History

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1351
Pioneer KURO PDP-5010FD 50" 1080p Plasma HDTV
On Amazon list price $5000 on sale for $3870
They finally got it right and got rid of all non-sold TVs
true 1920x1080p

Last year's model
Panasonic 50" TH50PZ700U
1920X1080p
$2300

U B the Judge

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 210
Hey King--read your trash up there. Lcds use light bulbs as a light source that can only essentially be on or off. SO black levels are poor. Plasma uses a phosphor( phosphors actually) which is different and reproduces gradations of blacks in a way that LCDs cannot. This is extremely basic and fundamental stuff. The only reason why I bother addressing this is because this is a public board and you are a danger in that you say things that I wouldn't want anyone to actually think are true. You simply need continual correcting. How embarrassing for you.

It doesnt matter how many posts you have or what your resume is; you just have almost no practical knowledge about hardware and amazingly, very little about video signal as well- but I'll take you to school in that forum in a moment.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 211
Now back to some useful info-

Olevia-- is a pretty amazing brand. These guys came out of nowhere and now take up a large amount of floorspace at CES every year in Vegas. They sell a ton of displays and have received excellent reviews by some well regarded reviewers. Their quality assurance isnt too bad and pricing is reasonable. I put their video processing behind some of the other major brands but they do pretty well frankly.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 212
Christine--here is my opinion. If you just watch TV and have the display in a well lit room while watching, then an LCD makes sense. For a home theater in a darkened room plasma is better.

As far as brands, LCDs have many choices. LG/Samsung/ Sharp/Olevia. The diffrences just arent that great. Another option is the Sony SXRD LCos displays, which is a different technology more closely related to LCD.

On plasmas choices are Hitachi, Pioneer, Panasonic, and NEC, as well as Fujitsu. Panasonics quality assurance is higher. Many feel Pioneer makes the best displays however. Bu they will not take a return as a manufacturer from a consumer. Thats a problem for me personally.

Good Luck

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1353
Yo don't give up, do yo?
It looks to me like ESPN fully converted to 1080i now
How embarrassing your theory that 720p is better choice than 1080i
No wonder my posts look crap to yo

Get professional help, don't ignore
I'm 25 years in this business dude
I don't need amateur pigshit
Come see me at Javid Center this October NYC to teach yo TV electronics one on one

Such a nubie

Post Number: 9
Is the Sharp Aquos 52" LC52D82U model really worth $700 more than the Sharp Aquos 52" LC52D62U model?

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1354
As per Amazon-com Free delivery
Sharp Aquos LC52D92U 52" LCD 1080p HDTV $3269
Sharp Aquos LC52D82U 52" LCD 1080p HDTV $2920
Sharp Aquos LC52D62U 52" LCD 1080p HDTV $2300

Sharp Aquos LC52D64U 52" 1080p LCD HDTV $2490

Not too long ago I picked from a Distributer place in New York
Sharp Aquos LC52D82U 52" LCD 1080p HDTV $2700. The problem is they moved to a place in Jersey and I can't find their new address. And I don't think yo'll get my price anywhere.

Amazon is the best place to compare prices but my advise go to a store have them match the price and pick it up or have them deliver it by Van.

No UPS or FedEx (trust me)
King

To answer your question is it worth it?
For each model Sharp offer higher the model higher the quality. Crisp smooth colors for higher models. Just stay away from the nubies here and listen to the 25 years experience of King Tapeman. Sharp is best choice LCD HDTV in the market.

They have different quality models to fit your budget. Just match what yo want to spend yo won't go wrong. Come back ask me for what best broadcast option and I will help yo with that as well.

Post Number: 10
Well I live in Canada and D92 is not available at most of the stores I have been to. The price of the D82 is $3800 and price of the D62 is $3100. They both look great in the store. The only difference I noticed is that the D82 is a glossy black colour, while the D62 is dark grey. I do prefer the glossy black, but for $700 more, I'm not sure.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1355
D62 is an excellent choice.
Even it exceeds todays broadcast standards
80% of today's broadcast is still in 480p
Unless yo are a video game nuts this TV will not get outdated for the next 5 years.

I'm assuming these prices are Canadians cuz they are high. Go buy your HDTV enjoy sports and events. People that got 720p LCD are still happy with their TVs and paid much more than today's prices.

It is true the longer yo wait the better and cheaper they get but life is so short yo need a treat for your entertainment time.

What do yo have for broadcast? CableTV or Satellite.
I strongly recommend the triple package where available. i/o interactive optimum. Phone, internet and Cable TV all for $90 USD with the most HDTV programs at present time.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1797
­
"Is the Sharp Aquos 52" LC52D82U model really worth $700 more than the Sharp Aquos 52" LC52D62U model?"

Other than cosmetics, there are two significant differences between these models. First is the inputs available. The 82 has three HDMI vs. the 62's two. Second, the 82 (as well as the 92) has a 120 Hz frame rate conversion capability. This means that the screen will "refresh", or show a different frame 120 times a second--vs. 60 Hz for the 62. The 120 Hz rate all but eliminates the "motion blur" common to LCD displays. This is important only when the TV is required to show very fast motion, such as hockey (you are Canadian :-)). Sharp claims a very fast 4ms response time for the 62 model, but only with their propriatary "Fine Motion Mode" feature turned on. For the casual viewer, that is probably good enough.

Is 2 HDMIs good enough? I think so. The average person would use one for their cable/satellite receiver, and the other for their upscale DVD player. The frame refresh issue might be important enough for the discerning sports fan.
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I am in fact buying the tv for watching hockey (the season is about to start) so the response time was an important facyor for me in choosing the Sharp over other brands, which have response times of 8ms. If the 82 offers a better picture without the motion lag during the fast action I will go for the 82.

I have digtial cable and the tv comes with a free HD cable box from the cable provider I am currently with. You're lucky in the U.S. if you can get cable, phone and internet for $90. I currently pay $140 for all three services and that price is my monthly total even after all the discounts I recieve for bundling my services.

I've found the store that I think offers the best deal and I will most likely purchase the tv this weekend. I wanted to have the tv placed over the fireplace, but after reading the thread about flat planels over the fireplace I'm not sure. The store said it shouldn't affect the warranty. I'll wait till it's delivered to make my decision. Thanks for all the help.

Username: 1shado1

Post Number: 1
"This is what they got on the shelf today

Here is another bad example on how yo can get duped
$1800
PIONEER 50" HD PLASMA TV PDP-507CMX HDTV
1365 x 768 , 720p Display Format }

For $1650
Panasonic TH50PX75U 1080i
WITH TRUE 480P/720P/1080i Capabilities"
---------------

The Panasonic you mention has the SAME native resolution as the Pioneer, 1366 x 768, which is 720p. 1080i is 1920x1080.
Just because the Panny is 480p/720p/1080i "capable", that doesn't mean it will display 1080i resolution. All that means is that it will scale a 1080i signal DOWN to the Panny's 720p native resolution.

I thought you were an EXPERT at this stuff.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1391
Yo R right about that. It wasn't clear
But I was referring to the 10% less discount

Thanx

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
Marc, thanks for your input on Olevia. My son bought a 32 incher and swears by it. I haven't seen it. He paid around 500 delivered. If these guys are the real deal, man what a break for the consumer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us