Looking to buy a new 1080p lcd or plasma

Username: Jodymac

Post Number: 2
Hi everyone,

I'm going to buy a new lcd or plama soon and would like to hear what you guys think is the best one to buy. I'm thinking of 42" to 50" which will go over the fireplace. My room is 17x12. I play xbox and ps3 often. Definitely want 1080p and a great picture. Thanks for your time and help.

Username: Jayman

Jacksonville, FL

Post Number: 4
How much are you planning on spending? To get a 50" 1080p plasma you're probably going to be spending close to $3,500 right now. But don't think that you need 1080 for a great picture on a plasma. However, if you're playing a lot of games like you said, I think most people recommend LCDs.

Post Number: 4
My budget is $4000 or less. I do play alot of games. Is burn in a worry with the plasma?

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 275
Still a concern but the technology has evolved so that it is not quite as susceptible. But if I were a serious gamer, I think I'd still go with LCD unless I could get a low cost warranty on the plasma protecting against burn in. If I had your resources (and was not a serious gamer), I'd be looking at that new 50 inch 1080p plasma from Panasonic.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 178
Plasmas are really for home theater, particularly as they get larger. You can play games on them, as can anyone obviously, but the technologic advantages that Plasma has are irrelevant for gaming. Neither is better.

At 50 inches you still pay less for a plasma than an LCD; at 42, it becomes somewhat of a toss up.

Post Number: 9
Been looking around for tv's and home audio and ran across an article about HDMI 1.3. The article makes it sound like it is alot better for both the picture and the audio. What do you guys think about HDMI 1.3? Is it worth getting? If so, what products have 1.3? Thanks for your help! There's so much information you need to know in order put together a good home theater.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 179
Playing games doesnt really belong in a true home theater. True HT is usually a separate space with a dedicated audio system etc. There isnt anything wrong wth a display over a fireplace in the living room and of course everyone wants the best picture. But its more akin to watching TV and playing games on a TV monitor. AS I said, whataver tchnology ( and connection) you use will serve your purposes quite well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us