Samsung HLS-5088W Shadow in left corner

Bronze Member
Username: Kaotik78

Post Number: 23
Ok guys im back and again with yet another problem with my Samsung DLP-TV.

After samsung decided to exchange my last tv, for a new HLS-5088W. When they explained to me that this tv has a 90 day warranty I told them, no it is a new tv, henceforth it will come with a one year warranty, after being put on hold the woman I spoke with had said they would extend the warranty for a year.

Well, now my wife and I have noticed that in the lower left corner of the screen no matter what source or image you feed the TV, there is a something that can only resemble a shadow only in the left corner of the screen.

Seating arrangements are not an issue, and we thought it was a shadow coming in from the window, it is not.

In a room completely dark and nothing around the tv, no matter what you watch, it's like someone blew dust in the corner of the tv ( the screen is squeeky clean )

After calling samsung and talking to "Glenn" I was told that the tv is now out of warranty. After briefly explaining the long, (I have piles of dates, numbers, paperwork, etc) he told me I had to talk with ppl in customer relations.

After talking with Sherry at samsung CL, I was told the original tv purchase date is what they go by when they do an exchange etc. I explained to her, and provided dates, names, and repair #'s to substantiate my claim. To which she replied, she has no record of that and the tv is out of warranty. I had to talk to this rep for quite a while to tell her I have been a loyal samsung customer, 2 lcd monitors, phones, dvd players, cameras, tv's etc and this is what I get for treatment? I have to pay out of pocket now for a tv that I have had repaired 4 times, and replaced twice, one tv arrived DOA! My wife and I have both missed work for this and are just plain sicked by the whole thing ( I miss my sony CRT tv cause it just plain ol' worked ) I realize new technology has it's flaws, but I have never had a run like this, and now the customer support that Samsung is susposed to be recognized for, is letting me down. The rep said they could get a tv repair crew out to ESTIMATE the tv's condition, then they could better judge what they would do if anything. I will probably have to pay for replacement parts etc. I told her if that's the case, the tv will be sold along with the rest of my samsung gear as I will not stand for a company that does not stand by it's products, and does not help out it's patrons.

I am very appreciative of what Samsung has done for me in the past, and im sure it has come at a substantial cost to them to keep me happy. However, having a tv repaired and replaced as many times as I have had to go through to me seems extremely odd. I hope Samsung does right by me on this one, 2500.00 for a TV that has been repaired/replace over 3 revisions is laughable at best. Worst case, I will sell the tv and go get a different TV but I really do not want to.

Had to vent, cause im really tired of the whole fiasco!

Username: Spacelordjones

Post Number: 6
same thing i think happened to me. It is just dust inside the cabinet. This is how I fixed it. Open up the TV through one of the round openings found on the sides of the set (one screw holds them on) then simply wipe away all of the dust you see on the srceens (front and rear) inside the TV. Dont worry the set is mostly hollow but still be careful. Use a soft felt cloth. post back if this works.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Doh, I gave that a shot, no go. Only other thing I can think of is the actual lens inside, clean that with the samsung cleaning kit?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Side note, this model is a hls-5087w, the samsung rep told me the wrong version.... My wife has definately had enough with this fiasco!! Probably going to sell it and get something else that is non-samsung unfortunately.

Username: Spacelordjones

Post Number: 7
sorry to hear it didnt work

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I appreciate the suggestion, I did not think of that actually :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Anyone else ever have this problem???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
bumpity bump, nobody?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
I take it this forum is dead now? What happened to FYI and the other informative ppl? Well the tech came by today and told me my light engine is defective. Samsung needs an estimate from them before we can go forward.

Username: Cydonian

Post Number: 1
Sounds like you are a new member of the Shadow Club. There are upwards of 900 posts discussing this most unfortunate Samsung defect over on the avsforums site. Google "Samsung" and "shadow" and you're sure to find much more on this subject.

The standard remedy is to replace the light engine, which normally costs about as much as the entire TV did.

Samsung, of course, does not acknowledge this as a common problem, though it appears to be an epidemic.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Christ almighty. Well as an update, the tech did come out and he took the entire tv apart, screen included. Cleaned everything, put it back together and of course the shadow is still there. Samsung came out to have it evaluated, at their expense, now they will get back to me they said. Im laughing now because of all I've been through, 3 sets so far. It's the biggest joke this company can't seem to just release a quality tested product, instead they release these tv's with revision's, like software, and we're the beta testers...

The tech told me it was the engine that was bad, if it's the same as the tv, and samsung won't cover it. I'll file a complaint with the BBB, and never buy another samsung product again and make damn sure I let everyone thinking about buying a samsung tv know what I went through. I miss my Sony Trinitron CRT....

Username: Brate

Melbourne, FL United States

Post Number: 1
Check out this thread in the AVS forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=758625&goto=newpost

This may dial you into this problem. If you think it is the same, please report your model number, purchase date, resolution (or lack thereof), etc.

You might also learn to fix it without too much trouble.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Ok, another update. After not hearing from samsung within the past week I decided to give them a call. After having my problem escallated (again) to the customer relations, they offered to fix the television's dmd board which is the entire brains of the unit for free and extend the warranty just for the month of the repair. If the tv broke within that extended repair month, they would offer to buy the tv back and/or replace it with a different technology.

At this point my wife and I both just pushed to get our money back after having lost our time from work, stess, etc. I wasn't interested in getting any newer technology, lcd, or plasma, but these dlp tv's constantly have issues.

Im really saddened because samsung has honestly been so nice to me in terms of customer service and being able to repair my tv, even after the warranty period.

The mrs wants nothing to do with them after this, but now apart of me has brand loyalty built into his head after all this. Anyone care to share their throughts about what my next move should be now? Im not on the constant trip for bigger or better, I just want a TV that works, afterall it just sits there and displays a picture, right?

Username: Dave_carney

Post Number: 6
After studying hundreds of posts from consumers representing a wide range of brands, I'm of the opinion that there is no long term duability in the projection type TV. There is too much that can and does go wrong. The cost of making them last would essentially kill the economic viability of the product. I'll be replacing mine with a flat panel TV, probably an LCD.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Hey Dave and everyone else.

Yes, I've been all over the web, actually started compiling reviews/threads etc so both my wife and myself can better educate ourselves on our tv and for our next purchase.

It seems that this technology has a long way to go as far as reliability is concerned. I keep saying, that nobody should have to have 3 different replacement models and have each model fail not once but numerous times and all the same symptoms and failures.

I even looked at the new led dlp set's, and the samsung out on the floor had a long shadow bar running down the vertical right side! That just re-assured my feelings that this technology has a long long way to go. If they haven't perfected and streamlined the dlp/bulb/colorwheel yet, they are already coming out with the led dlp. As if to say they just scrap the old design and focus completely on the new stuff.

My father in law has a rptv, toshiba actually, the thing's heavy as hell, but runs like a tank. Never gave him a lick of trouble. I had my sony trinitron tv, that was replaced by my samsung, and that never gave me any issues even after 8 years of use!

Mabye my time was up, as I have never had any piece of audio/video equipment fail on me, and this television has been the absolute worst for failure. Even now as I am writing this, my wife is watching the tv, with the shadow in the corner, and now the image seems to like to pulse on and off almost like a old school projector.

The prices on each revision release, drives the cost down significantly to the point now that you can get one of these "wonderboxes" for 1500.00, but you'll end up paying that again in repair costs and replacement parts....

David I'm with you now. Hopefully we can get rid of this unit and I'm opting to wait till I find something reliable and trustworthy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us