8300HD box grey bars instead of true 16:9

Username: Diosif

Sugar Land, TX USA

Post Number: 1
Hello, I would v much appreciate if anyone could help. TWC is not at all helpful.TWC installed my cable with an 8300HD box. I connected the HDMI port of 8300HD to my HDMI TV port (a Sony Bravia). I followed the routine, pressed "info and guide" and followed instructions so I get the picture 1080i. The channels are in 1080i, TV sees it as "wide format" but on all channels I have grey bars on the sides. Indeed, I can use "stretch" but I don't like it: it distorts the picture. what can I do? I would like to see a true 16:9!! DVD's from video player works okay and comes into a true 16:9. Much appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York, NY

Post Number: 1052
In many cases 1080i broadcast is still not in true HD this is why you see bars etc.

But make sure your TV is set on Full
The 8300HD box is by scientific Atlanta and it does have wizard settings including auto recognetion and auto stretch. You may have to set it up.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 978
Is the HDMI the only input that that 8300 is connected to?

Bronze Member
Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 49
Either your box is not set on the right resolution or the program you're watching is not shot in HD. Watch Lost or something like that on the HD channel, or ESPNHD or better yet, watch the INHD or HDNET or HDMOV channels. If there's still the grey bars on the sides check the settings on the box again. Do the advanced setup if you have to. Check the manual on the Scientific Atlanta website if you need help with the settings. My dad's was outputting everything in 480i for a month before I chose the correct resolution to output.

Username: Diosif

Sugar Land, TX USA

Post Number: 2
cableguy, yes HDMI is the only one connected but I can connect others if necessary. any advice? thanks

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York, NY

Post Number: 1062
Aaron is right
You need to enable advanced settings
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us