Best Buy EPP Warranty/Mitsubishi 42" DLP Problems (w/ Video)

Username: Gobigred

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I apologize for the length of the post in advance. I am looking for some suggestions on a problem that I am having. On 05/02/03 I purchased a 42" Mitsubishi DLP from Best Buy (for $1599.99) and purchased the 4 year extended "on-site" warranty plan through Best Buy also ($299.99). About a year ago the TV would zoom in and out, get a little discolored. This would occur when watching Cable (hooked up via Composite) or playing the Playstation2. I had to shut off the TV and turn it back on for it to stop. I called Best Buy customer service since I had the extended warranty plan and the guy agreed that it was a weird problem and was apologetic. They sent someone out a day or two later. When the on-site Best Buy repair guy came, I explained to him what it was doing but that it didn't occur on the fly. He sat there for 15 minutes waiting for it to happen but of course I couldn't replicate the issue while he was there. He said instead of changing a bunch of parts for a problem he never heard of, call back when I could replicate it when someone was there.

The problem still persisted occasionally so I finally got the idea to tape the problem happening with my camera so at least they had some sort of idea what was going on. I called Best Buy customer service and stated the problem again and added that after the picture would zoom in and out and get discolored a bit, it would zoom out real small and the TV would shut off. He said that they do not use onsite repair people anymore and that they would forward the request to a repair shop about 20 miles outside where I live. After finally getting in touch with the repair shop and having Best Buy refax the paperwork, the repair shop tech's came and picked up the TV on 10/24/06. I showed them the video on my computer and they agreed that the problem was weird. They asked I E-Mail the video to them. The video is available here in AVI format (44MB):

http://www.gobi.us/tv/tv102406.avi

I got a call back two weeks later saying they had replaced what they thought was wrong as they couldn't replicate the problem at the shop and returned the TV. The next day I turned the TV on and the problem was a lot worse. The picture would zoom in and out more often and this time when it would zoom out and turn off the TV picture would turn grey and then shut off (see video below). It would happen on a much regular basis, at least every time I would attempt to watch TV. It would also happen on all inputs, as before it would never happen when watching a DVD (component). To be fair, it may of not been occurring on the DVD before because I wasn't watching enough DVD's in the past.

I called Best Buy customer service in early February and they faxed the work repair order to the repair shop again. The repair tech called me and suggested that I unplug the TV if I have it in a surge protector incase I was overloading it and have the TV plugged in straight to the wall. The problem still occurred so I called the repair company back. The repair tech's came out and got it on February 13th. I showed them two more video's with the problem occurring, one of them clearly showing the problem with the TV flicking grey and shutting off. Here are the video's in AVI format again, the first one is 3.7MB (which shows the TV zooming out and flickering grey/shutting off):

http://www.gobi.us/tv/tv.avi

The other video is 58MB and shows the video zooming in and out, in and out and getting discolored:

http://www.gobi.us/tv/tv-1.avi

I get a call from them on February 22 saying they can't replicate the problem but that they were calling Mitsubishi and sending them the video to see if they had any idea's. I hadn't heard back from the repair company so I called today (March 13th). The receptionist picks up, I ask for the status of the TV repair. She says that they had it hooked up for the last month and that they were going to drop it back off Thursday and a repair tech would call me before that. I suspect that the problem will still occur when I receive it.

I'm pretty much at a loss on where to go from here and looking for suggestions. I know after three repair attempts Best Buy is suppose to credit you if they cannot repair the TV. At this point, I really don't care if they credit me to get a new TV or if they fix this one, I just want something working. I jut need to get something figured out as my extended warranty ends on May 2nd of this year. I guess I am a bit more frustrated than normal because this isn't the first time I've had a negative "Best Buy" experience. I had a laptop go in for repair to replace some damage keys that took 4 months to repair, had to send it off and I got the run around from them.

Is it *possible* that it's an electrical problem? I have had a few people tell me that it probably isn't and that's what I am leaning towards since if it was an electrical problem wouldn't my other devices (amp, dvd player, etc) be having problems also?

Much thanks in advance for anyone that can provide any suggestions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us