61" Samsung DLP dying?

Username: Burrito

Post Number: 1
I have a year and a half old Samsung 61" DLP set that worked perfectly up until about a week ago. Within the last week it has started turning itself off (sometimes entirely, and sometimes I can still hear sound). With every time however, I hear a fan wind up that I have never heard before last week. The middle light starts blinking (it says lamp above it) and then it turns off then back on again and all three LED lights light up. The bottom LED is red while the two top ones are green. Right above the bottom light it says 'temp'. I assume that I'm having some kind of cooling issue with the set but I honestly don't even know where to begin to troubleshoot this issue. I called Samsung and they said that since I am out of warranty, I will need to call a service person out and pay out of pocket for it. I'm not electronics genious, but if it's something relatively simple to fix, I'd rather just fix it on my own.

Can anyone shed some light as to what my problem might be and more importantly, how I might be able to fix it?

thanks in adavance.

Burrito

Gold Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1051
Read the Samsung threads.

Could be just a lamp.
Could be a dirty fan.
Might be the color wheel.
Might be the digital board.

Quote from another thread:

Three lights flashing is a lamp failure indication. It may be on it's way out. Put in your spare.

Don't forget to take the back off and clean things up in there with a brush attachment to your vac hose. Cleaning the inside every six months can prevent premature failure of several major components. After all, it's a projector that pulls air through it to keep things cool. With the air flow comes dust, lint, hair, bugs, etc. Pay extra attention to the cooling fans. Tape the cover switch shut and power up the set. Don't look directly at the lamp. It's brighter than the sun. Check that the fans spin equally and quietly. They are easy to replace if needed.

Username: Texanmike

Post Number: 1
My mistake. I have checked the fans (compressed air to clean everything off. (I'm pretty competent at electrical repairs - even minor component level stuff so I took care of the basics) The fans seem fine. The LAMP!!! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT? Any idea what the fastest way to get a hold of one is? I'm assuming that most repair shops don't carry it.

I apologize for not doing my research, as a newsgroup/message board enthusiast I know better. Thanks for not blasting me for it.

Mike

Username: Texanmike

Post Number: 2
Wow I'm an idiot. I just read your reply to my post that never got posted. I previewed it but didn't post it. I went to see my post and it wasn't there. Then I saw your reply and was like this guy must be psychic. LOL disregard my first post since I never posted my real first post. Late nights after a 12 hour day of korean are a bad time to post I suppose, much less work on my TV.

Mike

Post Number: 2
back to my originial question...if indeed it is the lamp, wouldn't the set not turn on at all? Why would it come on (with a picture), even for a short period of time if the lamp were bad?

Post Number: 4
well I just finished replacing the lamp and now I get nothing at all...not even sound. I hear the set winding up the middle green led light lights up, then it recycles power three times then I get all three led's blinking.

I'm really not very happy with this. I guess the next step is to replace the fan?

Bronze Member
Username: Sjones1

Post Number: 17
Discount-Merchant.com $129.99. Ordered mine Monday via USPS Mail, i got it Wednesday!!

I searched all over the Internet and I finally found them through an intensive google search. Original lamp too, not some generic brand!

Called them and Ali in Sales was extremely knowledgeable about my Samsung TV and helped me troubleshoot it. I decided to buy two lamps because who knows when these things are going to fail!

S. Jones

BTW, here is a link to their site:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/Samsung-HLM437W1X-OEM-Replacement-LAMP-BULB-p/s amsung-bp96-00826a-lamp.htm&Click=1466

Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 4
Burrito Smith,
Try taking the lamp out and reseating it. It may be because the sensor hasn't been triggered properly. If not, you might have to replace your balast. Http://www.fixyourdlp.com/blog is a good source for the instructions on replacing your lamp. They have great guides and photos.

If not, it might be a defective lamp... Try calling your supplier to see if they have any input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us