Ok bottom line who makes a Great HDTV rear projection system

Username: Imthepcguy

Auburn Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 3
Read a lot here boy!, trying to get through the redtape and find out who makes a great HDTV Rear Projection system

Username: Dachshundman

Chesapeake, VA

Post Number: 1
I just bought the Samsung HLS4676S and its blown me away! I have the HD coming through my cable DVR and the picture is stunning! I did alot of research before buying this one and I feel the picture is better than it was in the store!

Bronze Member
Username: Tvshopper

Post Number: 93
I'm an owner and big fan of the JVC. I considered the Sammy and it came in second only because I was affected by the rainbow effect.

Username: Harjasalt

Post Number: 2
Hows the sony sxrd full hd 1080i 60'' lcd projection tv?

Bronze Member
Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 63
Do not buy a JVC unless you want never ending problems plus bulbs that burn out way before the claimed hours. Look at the thread on here about JVC bulbs. Bottom line,JVC is junk. I would not tell anyone to buy one. Samsung is the choice of tv techs and most people seem pleased with the performance. Be aware of people that tell you a product is good when it is not. They either work for JVC or cannot see the truth. Bob.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
I see the Sony has come way down in price. I honestly do not know about the quality or if they have any problems but it has the best picture of any tv. It is veryimpressive. Best Buy in my area has it set up as their premier set. Bob

Username: Harjasalt

Post Number: 4
I have used a samsung 54'' dlp rptv for over 3 years now. I've had 3 service calls in 3 years and the lamps have been changed once (under warranty). Otherwise picture quality is great. Recently switched to a 40'' samsung lcd but did not find much difference in picture quality. Hence, decided to buy the sony sxrd 70''. I watch tv mostly in dim lights and get more satisfaction out of a bigger screen without compramising much on picture quality as compared to plasma or lcd.

Bronze Member
Username: Crashnash

Post Number: 55
Do not buy a JVC until their lamps live up to the expectation stated at the JVC Website--

EXPECTATION: 6000 hours

REALITY: 600-1000 hours

CrashNash

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
Crash,

Your statement is opinion and anecdotal and not based on any supportable facts whatsoever. There are instances of early bulb failure for sure. However, there are also many whose bulbs are lasting FAR beyond the 600 - 1,000 you claim. I might also point out that it would be IMPOSSIBLE to get an accurate view of bulb life on a board like this since many of the posters are here seeking help for problems. In other words, people that have no problems with their TV are not out here posting.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
tvshopper is absolutely correct----

Therefore I would like to add a caveat to my March 06, 2007 7:36 a.m. post. Please delete "REALITY" and add "My Experience". Therefore, my post should have read:

Do not buy a JVC until their lamps live up to the expectation stated at the JVC Website--

EXPECTATION: 6000 hours

MY EXPERIENCE: 600-1000 hours

Also, I would highly recommend anybody and I mean anybody go to the other JVC Thread in the Ecoustics Forum---Subject in regards to "Short Bulb Life for JVC" and then draw your own conclusion if you would by a JVC set. I know I would never buy another JVC Product for the various reasons I have posted at that site.

CrashNash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Actually CrashNash is correct the first time. people getting long hours on bulbs are the exception and not the rule. I base my statement from talkig to repair techs that work on all models. They have not seen any difference in the bulb failure. Samsung has a tv out that uses no bulb, it is based on an led system. The price was high but I am sure it is coming down. As CrashNash said go look at the other thread. It will show the truth. Bob

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
Total hearsay....My bulb is 17 months old approximately 3,000 hours and no sign of letting up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
tvshopper---Your statement is opinion and anecdotal and not based on any supportable facts whatsoever. There are instances of bulbs going over the 3000 hours for sure. However, there are also many whose bulbs are lasting FAR less then the 3000 hours beyond you claim.

If "early lamp burn out" is hearsay--as you posted--then why are there 831 post at the "JVC D-ILA Very, Short Bulb Life-report problems here" thread in the section. In addition, if you do a "Google Search" on JVC and "Lamp Life" or "Bulb Life" you will see literally discover hundreds of unhappy JVC owners that have experienced early lamp burn out.

And if the JVC Bulb is so good, why are replacement bulbs only warrantied for 90 days by JVC. Kind of indicative of what JVC thinks of these replacement lamps.

CrashNash

CrashNash

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
Your little parody is cute and slightly clever. However, I was not generalizing as you were, so it is off the mark and not valid. You even admitted that your generalization should have been stated as your experience. That is all I was talking about; my experience.

Hundreds of unhappy owners...out of how many TVs sold!?

Look Rodger Dodger, we know your bias as well as you know mine. Virtually all replacement parts, by ANY MANUFACTURER (cars, appliances, etc.) are only warrantied for 90 days. That is NOT unusual. (Heck, I just replaced a part in a clothes washer that only has a 90-day warranty too.) You act as if JVC is the ONLY manufacturer to do so.

Also, look at the incidence of bulb failure lately in the posts you mention. There certainly has been a dramatic decline since the end of the bad bulb run that occured in 2005.

I will stipulate that you hate JVC and do not recommend them. I am sure that you would stipulate the opposite about me as well. I did not say "Buy JVC." I said that I have one and love it. I also stated that the Sammy (talk about problems) was second on my list.

I don't care what someone buys. You however have made it your life mission to denegrate a product that you don't really know (you don't know the new models and you haven't given the new generation bulb a fair shake) and prevent people from buying it. I don't see how that is helpful. Offer your opinion (i.e. I've had big time problems so I wouldn't buy one) and let people make up their own minds.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
As I indicated: If "early lamp burn out" is hearsay--as you posted--then why are there 831 post at the "JVC D-ILA Very, Short Bulb Life-report problems here" thread in the section. In addition, if you do a "Google Search" on JVC and "Lamp Life" or "Bulb Life" you will see literally discover hundreds of unhappy JVC owners that have experienced early lamp burn out.

The JVC Lamp by my experience and the experience of numerous other individuals (just visit the thread in here as I indicated above)---does not live up to the expectation posted at the JVC WEBSITE, i.e. 6000 hours on the average.

Again, I highly recommend do not consider JVC for your future TV purchases.

CrashNash

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13288
I like Mitsubishi

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
I am in the appliance repair business washers, dryers, and dishwashers. If you are only getting a 90 day waranty on a new part you better shop somewhere else. i get a 1 year warranty on all replacement parts except belts.
a 90 day warranty is on a refurbished or rebuit part. Timers are one part that were rebuilt but the rebuilt timers did not hold up. I have been in the business for 25 years an I can tell you what brand of washer or dryer I would buy, Whirlpool. Just so no one says this Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid, Roper, and most Kenmores are just a Whirlpool with a different name. That is why when I talk to friends who are tv repair people and have been in the business as long or longer than me and they tell me to stay away fro JVC I listen. Bob

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13301
Are Maytags any good?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Berny,
If you buyMaytag that is really a Maytag they are good. I know that sounds confusing so let me explain. Norge is a division of Maytag. At one time if it was a Norge or Maytag it would have that name on it. Now unless you know the differnce in looks you cannot be sure. I go to many homes where people have a set with the name "Maytag" on it but it is really a Norge. Needless to say I would not tell anyone to buy a Norge, they just do not hold up. I think it is a shame that the company would do this but the name sells. I hope this answers your question although if you have bought a Maytag in the last few years it may raise a question for you as to what you really have.Bob

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
I will have to bust my repair guy's chops for the short warranty. Anyway, my point was that many of the manufacturers (Sony, Mits, Samsung) warranty their replacement bulbs for only 90 days as well as JVC. They are no different. I believe that the impression was that JVC's warranty was shorter than the norm. That isn't really true.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
twshopper: Again you show your ignorance. Whould you mind posting on this board the warranty that toshiba provides on its replacement lampms. It seems you inadvertently left toshiba off your list. I guess it was just an oversight.

CrashNash

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
Rodger,

Again you show your anger, intolerance and insolance. I just named a few for examples after doing a very quick google search. If you're some dang smart why don't you post it!?

Here I got it for you....

http://www.provantage.com/replacement-lamps~22058487.htm

Now look at the first product....

Here is the text.....

ET20 Replacement Lamp
Compatible Projector: DLP - Product Type: 230W Projector Lamp - Compatibility: Toshiba TDP-ET20U Multimedia projector - Lamp Power: 230W - Standard Warranty: 90 Day(s) - - ...More

You know, you've shown over and over again what a jerk you are. So, now tell me....how was I the one that was ignorant!?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
twshopper: Please be advised that the site you reference is for replacement lamps that a customer would purchase once he is outside his one year new set warranty. However, if you have a Toshiba set and you bulb goes during the one year new set warranty, that Toshiba will send you a replacement bulb and warranty that replacement bulb for 2 years.

CrashNash

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
Well, that's a pretty specific case there isn't it!? However, the STANDARD warranty for a replacement bulb IS 90 days.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13321
Bob Smith,
How can you tell if it is indeed a real Maytag?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
The easy way on a washer is the front comes off. If it is a Norge you will have a panel on the back on the bottom that is held on by 6 or so screws.Also if you tilt the washer up a Maytag will have two belts a Norge one belt that goes around in a triangular pattern. On a dryer a Maytag will have a roughly 6x6 inch panel on the right, rear, bottom. A norge will not. Bob

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 950
My Hitachi is really good, never any problems. I've also heard really good things about them

Username: Np56

FLorida

Post Number: 4
I had the JVC 55" hd55g466 for over a year, and have not had any bulb issues. I do have the TV on a UPS, I never run it for more than 24 hrs non-stop, I never turn it of/on/off/on and it is on approx 8 hrs a day which comes out to almost 3,000 hrs. I am so happy with it, I just bought the 61" HD-61FN97, and aqain, it is on a UPS.

The instruction manual is very clear on the requirements for long bulb life. And it is BECAUSE it uses a bulb that attracted me to it (aside from an outstanding picture). The bulb IS replaceable, so for approx 250 dollars it would be like getting a new TV.

I am extremely statisfied with JVC, sorry to hear others are not

NOTE: I do not now, nor have I ever worked for JVC or get any money from them.

Username: Bguy

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm new on this board. I got here while doing research on the possible purchase of a Toshiba 65HM167 DLP HDTV. I am not trying to disrespect anyones experience, just trying to add to the conversation and add information. My main concern is with the issue of the life of the bulbs. I found an article at http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2007/02/making_your_hdt.php . The article discusses various things to extend the life of bulbs. One thing the author talks about is a study Toshiba did where they kept track of the bulb life of display T.V.'s in stores claiming 7000 to 8000 hrs. out of a lamp. One of the things that he states that effects lamp life is turning the set on and off which may account for part of the longer life in stores since they are left on all day. For those who have not seen it I hope it will help. It was very informative and if his advice is followed it might help extend the life of the lamps. I found it interesting in the March 07 Consumer Reports there is a section on HDTV including DLP and not a word about lamp burnout. For those of you with a DLP set and choose to read the article it would be interesting and informative to know what if any of his suggestions you have taken in using your DLP T.V. Thanks to all of you who have posted.(By the way my currant big screen is a 15 to twenty year old Pioneer 55" tempermental CRT (works when it wants to.)not a bad picture when it wants to.)

Username: Drcrabby

Post Number: 2
We just recently purchased a Viore RPT50V24D DLP tv and we love it. Now, I've only seen one other post on this board about Viore and it was trashing the brand, but, I must say this set is wonderful. I'm a bit of a fanatic about tv picture quality and love this set. The day we had our HD cable connection put in we couldn't make ourselves turn it off - we were glued to the set all day!! Come down to earth now and watch tv as usual, but - wow!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Modimplant

San Diego, California USA

Post Number: 15
CrashNash,

We do repair service for JVC, Samsung, Hitachi, etc., etc. The typical life expectancy is NOT 600-1000 hours...come on bro ;) The TVs we see in
service average about 3,500 hours. Yes, less than the typical life span per JVC, but again, we only see failures, we don't service working TVs ;)

The picture on the JVC's are spectacular...barnone...lamps are cheap at $160 from our site:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/JVC-LCD-Projection-TV-Lamp-TS-CL110UAA-TS-CL110 U-p/jvc-ts-cl110uaa-new.htm&Click=1466

If you're just looking for the more inexpensive lamps, I would go with the Samsung DLPs...we have the lamps for about $129.99...here is a link:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/Samsung-HLM437W1X-OEM-Replacement-LAMP-BULB-p/s amsung-bp96-00826a-lamp.htm&Click=1466

Again, in my opinion, the HD-ILA technology and JVC have done something special with their rear projector TVs...picture is awesome!

Ali

Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 9
CrashNash,
If anyone knows his lamps its Ali. I've talked to him plenty of times by phone and he always points us the right way. Thanks bud!

OvadoggvO
USACO Service Corp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Tehrani; It has been my experience with JVC that the lamps that came in their sets two years ago only went 600 hours at the most. I have gone thru two lamps and neither made it to 1,000 hours. I have the invoices to back up this statement. Also-if you go to another thread on this site (JVC-short bulb life problems) you will see numerous other JVC customers that will back up this data.

Even your estimate is well below the expectation that JVC has posted on their customer website.--almost 50% less then expected. Sure does say a lot about the trustworthyness of JVC. Myself, I will never buy another JVC product--simply because they do not stand by their product. The lamp that JVC sent me under warranty when my first lamp blew after about 600 hours only came with a 90 day warranty--yet the Canadian warranty that was also included in the box with the replacement lamp came with a 1 year warranty. I guess Canadian customers are more special to JVC then US customers. And what does the 90 day replacement lamp warranty say about how much reliablility that JVC places in these lamps.

NOTE: Kind of strange that ovadoggvo would make his post so close to Tehrani's ????? Readers consider this fact.

Ovadoggvo-would you mind sharing why you have had so many conversations with Tehrani--as you posted? COULD IT BE because of--lamp problems with your JVC set?

CrashNash

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 14
Rodger,
YES. You are right, JVC does have a problem with their TV's and the lamp blowing out before expected. Almost all JVC lamps that I have seen have IMPLODED and not "burned out" the filiment. This is because they are very sensitive to room ambience. Also, the lamps are very sensitive to dust. Unless you are in a clean room you need to regularly maintain your JVC TV.

The problem isn't necessarily with JVC (well maybe with the engineering) but more so the PANASONIC lamp that they use. JVC sets have one of the best pictures i've ever seen. If you open the lamp you will see an M logo on the side corner wich represents Matsushita (Panasonic).

Panasonic TV's also have a problem with lamps and ballast reliability.

Buy a set with a philips bulb if you can't afford to maintain your JVC.

As far as warranty goes, all the manfucaturers have a LIMITED 1 year warranty. LIMITED to 1 lamp replacement (sometimes 2 if you argue well) within that year. ALL manufacturer's replacement lamps come with 90 day warranty in the US.

CrashNash, I didn't know that if I'm posting in a forum I need to wait a few days before i respond... If you want suspense, go to a theater buddy. We are simply conversating.

Bronze Member
Username: Kaotik78

Post Number: 41
I'd be leaning more towards the sony sxrd's. Having been through 4 samsung set's, half a dozen service calls, over a dozen issues, I've steered away from samsung and their dlp sets. Currently looking at a Sony VW50.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
I have a Samsung with the led technology and it has no bulb. So far it has been excellent but I may be the exception rather than the rule. I stopped at the electronics store on Sunday just to look around. I would have to say the two televisions with the best picture were the Sony XRD and the Sharp Aquos. Nothing else came close. Bob
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us