Q: Is Digital over-the-air reception worse than Analog?

Username: Electrictroy

Post Number: 5
In my area (Lancaster PA), I receive ~20 stations.
Many of those stations are poor reception. Either:
(a) The signal is too strong & I get mutiple images.
(b) The signal is too weak, and I get static but still watchable.

Based upon feedback I've heard from Digital antenna users, many of these stations will no longer be watchable. (i.e. The digital decoder will just "give up" and display a blank screen.)

Any truth to that?

I'd hate to think that, when I switch to Digital tv, I will no longer be able to watch Lancaster tv (too strong a signal) or Philadelphia/Wilmington/Baltimore tv (too weak). Sounds like analog may have been the better system after all, since it will always produce a watchable picture even if reception is Not ideal.

Username: Electrictroy

Post Number: 8
I just checked www.antennaweb.com ---- doesn't really answer my question of "Will I be able to receive weak stations?"

But I did notice some oddball things. A lot of the analog stations don't seem to have a digital equivalent. In other words, they're not listed.

WTXF-29, WPSG-57, WPHL-17 (my only MNT affiliate), WITF-33, WHP-21, WBAL-11, WJZ-13, WHYY-12 (pbs/classic movies channel)

So if I switch to a Digital Set, these stations will just disappear & I'll never be able to watch them again. That kinda sucks. :-|

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 83
This post was extensively discussed on the AVS forum - and the answer is the same....

contact the station engineer at each of your listed stations and find out what their digital programming will be and on what digital TV channel. No current OTA station will willing just give up their broadcast license (a government grant to make money), so they all will go digital when they are forced to in 2009. You will need a good outdoor antenna on a rotor system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us