Samsung HLS5087W advise.

Username: Soulcougher73

Post Number: 4
I am looking to buy anotehr DLP here in the near future. So far the HLS5087W looks like a great TV. My other DLP is an older HLP4663W.

Is there any bad things about the HLS5087W that you guys know of? Will i run into any 1080p issues in the future that are documented that i have not found yet in my research?

I know 1080p is not broadcast over my cable yet so ill still be using 720p for the time being. But im looking into a PS3 and hopefully ill have no problems in the future.

Thanks

Username: Chris900

Jason, I have had this TV for about two weeks now and I absolutely love it. After calibrating the TV to my preference the picture on the HDTV channels is awesome. I have a PS3 hooked up to the TV with a HDMI cable and it is incredible.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 979
Actually, a 1080P set will display nothing but 1080P. A 1080i broadcast signal is de-interlaced quite nicely to 1080P by the 87W and 88W models. Any 720P broadcast signal is scaled to 1080P for display. The benefits of a 1080P display are fully realized from day one.

Username: Marke34

Lodi, NJ United States

Post Number: 10
need help again..... Can anyone offer a reason why my picture looks bad. I have relpaced HDMI cables numerous time, had cable co. here to check and run new lines all is well on my end.
Here is my picture problem, hope my explianation is ok.
My TV struggles with blacks, they look gray and pixelated.
Secondly, when watching sports the crowd shots look like a light switch is flickering on and off very fast. And the night sky during a football game looks like white fireworks going off.
Another this is certain types of clothing have the fireworks look on them as well, and even the black foam on a sportscasters microphone looks like white flashes through it.
And sometimes I see solid lit white specs on the screen almost like stuck pixels on an LCD display
i hope this makes sense to someone and they can offer advice. This TV replaces an older HLP5063W which had a way better picture than this TV does.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 997
Mark,

So far I'm hearing one signal source, which is cable. Tried any others? Try hooking up a uhf antenna to the "air" input and tuning a local off-air digital channel. Try a DVD. Have you tweaked your settings with a calibration disk such as Avia or DVE?

My blacks are inky black with DNiE on.
Mode = Standard
Contrast = 55
Brightness = 45
Color = 43

Username: Evilb29

Post Number: 1
Hi, I just bought the HLS5087W on Saturday. Overall I love the picture, but I noticed after the TV warms up there is a just audible high pitch tone coming from the back. Is this a common problem or is this particular TV defective. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Username: Jerrysghost

all,
i have had this 5087 for 30 days. i run a ps3 with hdmi and the games kick butt and the movies look great. i also have comcast hd dvr and notice that prerecorded movies channels (HBO, etc) look great and the HD channels with movies and stuff look good too. i saw the same fuzzy black issues and generally BAD quality on live HD such as football and sports. i turned the DNiE off and everything looked great. I did also use the avia dvd and that helped. all has been good except today the TV just turns off for no reason repeatedly. anything like that happening with yours? ABT guys is coming in to look at it tomorrow.

Username: Jeninden

We have the same exact issue w/ our two month old 5087. It's bizarre - we can go days with the tv staying on when it should, but then there's days were it will turn off every couple minutes. The lights that come on are the standby/temp and lamp lights when it turns off - which, according to the manual indicate that it's a temp issue. All vents are clear and the tv/area around the tv doesn't feel warm. We're waiting for the local service guy to call and are crossing our fingers in hopes that the tv won't crap out once and for all. Very disappointing for a two month old tv. The guy at Samsung customer service said our tv was actually manufactured the beginning of Nov - a few weeks before we purchased. Seems they skipped the QA step...

Username: Jerrysghost

glad i go tthe 4 year warranty from ABT. the tech came out took the lamp out and put it back in (said it seemed fine) then he went into the service reset mode with the remote and reset to factory settings. have not had a problem in two days and the picture looks even better. good luck on your end

Username: Jconley

Did the reset to factory defaults seem to fix your problem long term? I am having the same problem you described.

Username: Jeninden

Post Number: 2
The Samsung tech indicated the "lamp door" didn't seem to be completely closed (said he pushed it and it "clicked"). He also did the factory reset and the tv has been fine since (two weeks now). The tech said he has seen a handful of "open lamp doors" recently, all in which were fixed by pushing the door closed. Don't know if this is something you can check out yourself or not.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us