Help with choosing an HDTV?

Username: Jaxxon

Post Number: 1
I'm not gonna lie, I know very little about all these new TVs nowadays. I've spent days reading up about all of them, and I still don't get it. I finally decided on a 32" Olevia for around $700 bucks; I took it home, and it was defective. Soooo, I took it back, and now I'm trying to scour the internet for some advice.

First of all, I'm probably looking for something in the 32"-37" range. I want an HDTV, not HD ready or whatever. I want something that's reliable and should last me for awhile. I want a flat screen. I'd like picture-in-picture, though it's not a deal-breaker. I would be playing video games on it, and would like for them to look good. I'd also like for it to be able to receive HD broadcasts on my normal cable without me having to buy an additional converter box from my cable company (not sure if this is even possible, I've heard something about QAM?). And I'm willing to spend anywhere from $600 - $1200'ish.

Can anyone throw some names out there that I should look into? It's just all so confusing to me. Here is the next group of TVs I've been looking at:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535%26item%3D340705&prDeTab=2& pCatg=5883#A
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535%26item%3D335408&prDeTab=2& pCatg=5883#A
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535%26item%3D339014&prDeTab=2& pCatg=5883#A
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535%26item%3D337232&prDeTab=2& pCatg=5883#A

I'd really appreciate any help you guys are able to give me.

Post Number: 2
Oops, the links didn't work. Lemme see.

They are:

32" Magnavox LCD TV/DVD Combo
Model: 32MD251D/37

32" Philips LCD HDTV
Model: 32PF7321D/37

37" Magnavox LCD HDTV
Model: 37MF331D/37

37" Vizio LCD HDTV
Model: L37HDTVL

Post Number: 4
Also looking at possibly one of the Dell LCD HDTVS now (32" or 37" inch), depending on the price that they will quote me. I like they're payment plan (no interest till 2008).

Again, any help out there? :p There's just so many options to choose from, and just when I think I find a good one, I find a bunch of negative reviews, so it's been a pain. Help me finally put this damn 13" television back in the kitchen where it belongs! :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 78
i would say dont get any of those you mention. are you only shopping at sams club? check out some other stores and take a look at the Samsung 32" LCDs, you can pick one up for about $1200. i've had my Samsung 23" LCD in my bedroom for over a year and it has worked flawlessly, excellent picture as well.

Post Number: 5
Well, that's basically what I'm wondering. I just want to get something that's not gonna crap out on me, and that can handle the stuff I'm talking about (HDTV, video games, etc). I'm not big on watching movies, it will be mainly just for normal TV, possibly some HD sportscasts, and video games. My old 27" CRT crapped out on me, so I got interested in upgrading to a wide screen, flat HDTV, but all the different types got me confused.

What did you say about the two Dell I mentioned? Are they not worth it either? I think I may start trying to dig up the best price I can find on a Samsung, since it seems to be getting the best reviews that I've found (think it is a LNS3251D).

Bronze Member

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 79
i have heard Dell's plasma's have alot of problems but i dont know about LCD. ive never seen a Dell TV in person so it would be hard to comment. if you get that Samsung you mentioned you will deffinately be happy with it, thats is an excellent TV.

Post Number: 6
OK thanks for the advice :-) And the Samsung is good for what I'm looking to do (ie, HD sports broadcasts and video games?).

Also, happen to know maybe the best place for it? I'm thinking maybe Amazon, since they have it for around $1200 bucks + free shipping, and that's the best I've found so far. I was trying to find someplace with maybe no or little interest payment plans, but haven't found that yet either.

Thanks for your help :-)

Also, if you happen to check back, I maybe have another quick question. If I have "normal" cable, and this Samsung HDTV...can I get like the ESPN football in HDTV broadcasts that come over their normal ESPN channel? Or will I need to buy something from my cable company to view those normal ESPN broadcasts in HD?

Bronze Member

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 80
video games i have no idea, i quit playing those when i quit smoking pot years ago but i dont see any reason why they wouldn't be good. sports games will be excellent. you have to either upgrade to an HD box from you cable company or get a roof top antenna to pick up the digital local channels. ESPN, i dont even know if you can pick that up with an antenna. honestly my suggestion would be to switch over to Direct TV if thats possible, i think they are way better than cable
as far as ordering the TV online i have no idea, i always purchase stuff like that in store because i have a tendency to want to return stuff during the 30 day return policy. i seriously doubt you will want to return that TV but you never know if some freak deal happens and its defective. you would still be covered but it would just be more of a hassle to get it replaced than if you bought it at a store. tons of people buy flat panels online all the time so im sure it works fine, i just always find the best deal i can at a local store. there are so many here locally so i usually find a price that is pretty comparable to online prices.

Post Number: 7
Alright, thanks for all the help again. I'll try checking around the local stores (I would prefer to be able to take it back as well), but it seems like most of them sell it for about $200 bucks more than online places like Amazon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us