New DVR - Now No Pic Through VCR

Username: Rubyburns

Nashville, TN US

Post Number: 4
Comcast was out yesterday and installed the DCT3412 DVR with digital service. Previously, we had no digital service with just the HDTV set top box for viewing high-def through our recently purchased Hitachi CRT big-screen TV.

After he made the connections, and I turned on the VCR, there was just a blue screen - although playing a VCR tape works just fine. He mumbled something about we wouldn't be watching digital TV through our analog VCR anyway. I didn't realize at the time that if there is NO PICTURE - then we couldn't RECORD a TV show.

I know we can record a show through the DVR while watching another live show but SOMETIMES there is a 3rd show on that we would like to record - that is when we would have used the VCR.

The WEIRD thing is that when I turn the VCR on, and tune it to channel 3, I can change the channels with the Comcast remote...but, of course, the VCR's channel has to stay on channel 3...so no recording different channels.

What in the world did he do? I have never, ever, had a VCR that had to be set to channel 3. Is it because the DVR's tuners are both digital and the VCR is analog?

He has the "cable in" going into the DVR, then the DVR's "out to the vcr/tv" going to the VCR, then "VCR out" going to the TV. All the other connections were left the same.

We have a TV/VCR combo in the other room where we could record a 3rd show but I can't figure out what happened to the VCR connection I'm talking about above.

Thanks for any help - Ruby

Bronze Member
Username: 1movibuff

Post Number: 43
I'm not sure if I can help, but I've had a dual tuner DVR for over a year which is connected to a VCR. First, the VCR must be on channel 3 if it is hooked up any STB because channel 3 or 4 is a neutral channel and the TV is receiving the video signal directly from the VCR. Also, depending on how you have it hooked up, and most likely there is not a splitter or an a/b switch, then the VCR will only record whatever the DVR is tuned to. You can be recording one channel on one tuner and watch another channel on the other tuner which you can be recording with the VCR. The DVR is a DUAL tuner, so you can't watch a 3rd channel at the same time with the VCR. You can however record two different programs on the 2 tuners at the same time and also watch a program that was already recorded on the DVR which you can then transfer to your VCR. I do that all the time. The connections you described do sound correct. The DVR can take some time to get used to using, but I can't live without mine.
Here is a link which has more information which may be of more use to you. I hope this helps.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Online_help

Bronze Member
Username: Magredc5

Southern New Hampshire

Post Number: 19
The issue is how the components are being connected. Usually the VCR is connected BEFORE the DVR/STB, not after. It ultimately depends on how you're connecting the different devices to each other and then to the TV.

Here's what you should consider.

1 - Connect the cable to the VCR, then from the VCR to DVR, then DVR to TV. Since your VCR is only capable of recording analog channels anyway, you will be able to see everything you need to. There should be a setting on the VCR that controls whether it just passes the RF of the cable through it or passes the output of it's analog tuner. Make sure the option set to pass only the cable RF - my VCR has a TV/VCR button than needs to be set to I believe VCR, and there's also a Setup option called RF CONVERTER which I turn OFF so it never allows you to output the wrong way. My VCR is then connected to the TV via RCA cables and I assume you're either doing the same or using S-Video or Component.

2 - You can just split the cable as it comes out of the wall and send one run to the DVR/STB and the other to the VCR. That prevents any problem with interaction between the two.

Again, I assume each device has it's own input into the TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us