Hitachi 60VX500 or wait for the new Sammy HLPs?

Username: Floridahog

Florida

Post Number: 1
Ok after reading and reading and then reading more I am at a crossroads. I stopped in my local Sears yesterday and took a look at the Sammy HLN set on display and next to it was a Sony & Hitachi set. The Hitachi was the 60V500.

The Hitachi smoked the Sammy as far as picture quality by far and away. Not even close. Much crisper images as well as more vibrant and not any of the clay faces that were fairly apparent on the Sammy. I know the new HLP sets are forthcoming from sammy with the new HD2+ chipset. My question is just how much more improvement will there be from the current offering? Yes the new colorwheel will be added and supposedly the blacks will be better I know.

After looking at the Hitachi site I have also seen a 60VX500 set. Does anyone have a clue as to any major retailers stock the VX set? How much better is the VX Director Series over the standard V series set?

I do like the fact that Hitachi utilizes all proprietary components in their equipment and from what I understand there are no moving components in the LCD sets versus several moving parts in the Samsung DLP sets.

Now your opinions please. Would you wait for the new Sammy HLP series sets or get the Hitachi set? Lastly and once again, has anyone seen any retailers with the VX sets. I live in North Florida and willing to drive a bit. I am not overly interested in ordering online. Service issues and outrageous 22 + % restocking fees.

That said.... I will wait for you assistance.

Thanks folks.

squirrel
Unregistered guest
Greetings. Picture Quality is extremely subjective, but most people would say the Sammy has better colour and black levels and better contrast. However, there are artifacts (rainbows, clay faces) on the current DLP sets that bother some people more than others (i find them really disctracting - rainbows worst.) So it's about choosing your poison.

That said - don't take the picture in the showroom as a great indication. Seriously suggest finding a store that will let you control the source - ie. take in your favourite DVD and get them to play it on both sets using the same player/cables and lighting. This helps and i did this in 2 stores before buying my Hit 50v500 (which i'm very happy with).

Keep in mind the Sammy has great connectivity to the home computer as it's native res is a simple 1280x720. The hitachi can be connected but it's a lot more tweaking.

The differences in the vx sets is primarily bezel/cabinet and screen coating - optics and electronics are the same (as the Tantus badge on the Sammy DLP's).

Read http://www.avsforum.com to get an idea of what's coming next for the Sammy DLP's. And remember the 60V500 is a great TV too!

Anonymous

The post by squirrel is correct about your questions. I was faced with this same question a month ago and after going back and forth decided to get the 50v500. I'm happy with my choice and will have DTV HDTV installed on Saturday and ISF calibration next week.

padewan
Unregistered guest
The VX series is only for high end stores. There are I think only 23 in the US that are "authorized dealers". Not sure how the online stores are able to get it. The VX series kicks butt and is much more clear (I think) and the colors are brighter and sharper. Find a store @ Hit's web site and compare the 2 side by side. I saw the difference

Username: Floridahog

Florida

Post Number: 7
Pad, that is just what I did and I bought the 60" Director Series and it is incredible. It blew away anything they had on the floor inclusive of some DLP sets. Best thing I ever did and I got an awesome price too!

Bronze Member
Username: Martini

Post Number: 30
what do you mean by "clay faces"?

Bronze Member
Username: Martini

Post Number: 31
also, what do you mean by ISF calibration? What does that include?

Sorry, I'm new to all of this.

oh well
Unregistered guest
some of the other posts discuss the hd2 and hd3. one of them had a press release about the costs. given the costs and display capabilities, i'd go for lcos this coming winter or next spring. you can read all about it by doing some searches. the stats listed are better price-wise and display-wise than any forthcoming dlp models.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us