Samsung DLP Clunking noise and fading Picture - HELP

Username: Gvincent

Post Number: 1
Hi,

Just found this message board today, and thought I'd ask for some help. I have a new Samsung HL-S6187W DLP that I got about 6 weeks ago. It's been working great until this morning, when I turned it on and there was a loud clunking noise. Now, as I watch, the picture will get very dark for about 1-2 seconds and then get bright again. It happens every 10-15 seconds or so, although it does happen less and less as the TV is on. When the display fades, it sounds like the fan or color wheel or something makes a bit of noise, but not nearly as loud as at the initial power up.

I called Samsung and Best Buy (where I bought it and have a service plan through), but they referred me to service centers that won't even get in touch with me for a few days before I can make an appointment. I'm just wondering if there is something I can do to make it watchable - The Eagles/Giants game is on in 20 minutes!

Thanks for any help or advice!

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 851
Sounds like a service call to 1-800-SAMSUNG for sure!

Username: Gvincent

Post Number: 2
Yup, Samsung service call. Turns out it's the color wheel. I guess they are having some problems with them, since the color wheels are backordered for at least four weeks. Samsung told us they would replace the TV. I'm just waiting for the phone call about it (they said with 48 hours, but I doubt they'll call on a saturday.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 860
The new air bearing color wheels don't really have a failure history. The most likely reason for a month back order is that all available have been allocated for new set production. That happens with lamps too!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us