Best 42 inch Plasma

Username: Weside

Post Number: 3
I want to know what people think is the best 42 inch plasma on the market. I am thinking about either the Pio 4270, Panny 42 9UK (plasma monitor) or the Hitachi 42 inch? Any suggestions???

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 550
Darker room when viewing?= Panasonic
Cable /SAt HD signal = Hitachi ( resolution match is closer meaning less scaling)
Brighter room with HD-DVDs? = Pioneer

Username: Cleveland_plasma

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 6
Take a look at the Panasonic TH-42PX600U also. If you want something that is probably a little better than all of these units mentioned in this thread look at the NEC PX-42XR4A. It has a better warranty, better overall picture quality, and looks better when it is off. (This unit is a monitor therefor no stand, no speakers, and no tuners are included but can be added.)

Silver Member
Username: Smarcus76

Post Number: 179
take a look at HP plasma, it has a good price and the image is out of this freaking world..

Silver Member

Post Number: 551
Just an FYI, the HP Plasma is a rebadged panasonic with some slight menu options that are different. Anyway, the selction of the "best" plasma is based on room, lighting, and priorotiy of what you view ( DVD vs Cable for instance).

I dont care for NEC but they do have a better warranty. Usually a plasma good out of the box will stay good. There a few exceptions but I find return policies come into play more often than warranty repairs.

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 9
^^^^ I do not htink HP is buying there screens from Panasonic anymore. That changed with there new models if I am not mistaken.

Bronze Member
Username: Daman

Post Number: 30
so which 42 plasma is the best for my case, i am also looking for the best and money is no option just want a good setup, i have a medium lit surrounding, i have cable and sat HD and xbox 360, thanks for your help...open for any answers/inquires

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 10
^^^^ Need more details Mentos. However off the top of my head the Panasonic TH-42PX600U or the NEC PX-42XR4A.

Panasonics just had a nice price drop across the board.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
ok thanks cleveland but what more details would you need? and what about Shermans post talking about the hitachi better for sat resolution?

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 11
^^^^ Everyone has there own opinion. I like the Hitachi's but from what I see there black levels are not up to par and there are quite a few complaints about black flicker.

Details: How well lit is you room? Are you going to have surround sound? Are you going to go over tha air for free TV or just use a cable or SAT box? Are you wall mounting? What is your main feed being veiwed going to be (DVD, HD DVD, Standard TV, HD TV)?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
thanks for your response..ok here are the details:

1) the room is on my basement level, so its no sunny lit down there and you can say its a dim room
2) yes i am going to have surround sound..i herd panasonic is better for that
2) I will be using FTA SAT box and regular cable line so both
3) yes i am wall mounting it
4)from most to least main feed- Standard TV and SAT and DVD

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 15
^^^^ sounds like either unit will work. The NEC is a monitor only, but it sounds like you will not need tuners or speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 552
Mentos- An ED plasma actually makes more sense over an HD as far as what you list for viewing material. Just be forewarned that Standard non-HD TV can look very grainy on any HD display.

Username: Weside

Post Number: 4
On the pioneer website it says that their 42 inch plasma "can accept a 1080p source." Can't all 42 inch plasmas accept a 1080p source but just down scale it to whatever its native resolution is such as 720 or 1080i???

Silver Member

Post Number: 557
Yes.

Bronze Member
Username: Boboshan

Somewhere, Out There

Post Number: 34
Panny 42px60 did not get a good review from Sound & Vision (see June '06 issue).

Pioneer probably the best, NEC up there too.

Hitachi hds series also very good value.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us