Dvi dilema and copy protection question

Username: Darndvi

Stdney, Nsw Australia

Post Number: 3
some quick questions:
1.Is there a dvd recorder/vcr combo with a hdd and DVI-D output. Or is there simply a dvd recorder with a hdd and DVI-D output.
2.Alternatively can i plug a dvd recorder with HDMI output into my hd plasma tv's DVI-D input. If yes, how?, since HDMI carries audio and visual in the one cable and dvi-d have audio and picture seperate.
3.If i buy a dvd recorder with dvi/hdmi will i be able to plug my old dvd player and vcr into it and dub/edit my dvd discs and video tapes which contain stuff i have recorded from tv. Or will they be displayed all distorted as if they were copy protected movie studio films.
I think this may involve CPRM.?
thankyou for any help
eagerly awaiting your replies.

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 154
There is not now and never will be a DVD recorder with a digital output. It would be like handing copy criminals the keys to the digital jail.

xvxvxvx

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2964
There are a few upconverting players with HDMI output. You must mean none with digital input. Toshiba and Panasonic both advertise an available adapter for DVI. There are HDMI to DVI cables. You can copy any material that isn't copy protected.

Username: Darndvi

Stdney, Nsw Australia

Post Number: 5
thanx david. i have since heard that some people have tried connecting a HDMI device to DVI display/plasma useing those cables and it did not work, and other people said when possible it is always best to go HDMI to HDMI and DVI to DVI.
I have found dvd recorders with HDMI output and HDD. But to be on the safe side i would prefer a dvd recorder with a DVI-D output (and a hard disc drive) Does this exist?
Or does anyone think im making a mistake? Like is DVI becoming obsolete and replaced by HDMI?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2965
Both of these advertise a seperate adapter for DVI output. They don't have a HD, but there may be models that do.

http://www.wholesaleconnection.com/productDetails.aspx?product=4054&refer=1

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=69800&I=133DMRES25

I prefer Toshiba to Panasonic myself. Yes it would probably be better to go HDMI to HDMI, but I doubt there would be a big difference HDMI to DVI. HDMI does seem to be used in more equipment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us