Archive through April 24, 2006

Username: Bobka01

Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 1
The projection bulb failed yesterday (25 FEB 2006) after running for about three hours; after pulling the bulb assembly, it was easy to see the shattered element inside the sealed filament enclosure. I shall contact JVC tomorrow to request its replacement under warranty!

Product: JVC HD-52G886
Serial Number: 11060429
Date of Manufacture: June 2005
Ordered from Best Buy Plasma: 21 JUL 2005, delivered a week later in perfect physical condition
Bought JVC-designed stand and MAC 4-year EW
Use Pattern: Set turned on once almost daily and runs about 3-5 hours thereafter
Estimated total runtime since August 2005: 1000 hours
Power: Set is plugged into AC outlet on COMCAST cable control receiver without current surge/drop control capability because of the need for cool-off after shut-down
Expected Life of TV (my expectation): 6 years from purchase date

Current Bulb Info (data inside bulb assembly):
LC21571
>PBT-GF30<

Problem summary:
1. Small cooling fan (not the 90-second high-speed projection-bulb cooling fan but the fan below and behind the rear input panel) runs continuously 24-7. JVC sent techies and finally asserted that to be normal operation. It would be running right now if the set were plugged into a live AC outlet.
2. The projection bulb failed yesterday (25 FEB 2006) after running for about three hours; after pulling the bulb assembly, it was easy to see the shattered element inside the sealed filament enclosure. I shall contact JVC tomorrow to request its replacement under warranty!
3. All my contacts with JVC so far have been most cordial and professional even if they could not explain why the small cooling fan had to run always.

N.B. The set produces the best picture I have yet to find in a rear projection TV from any manufacturer... though the new SONY SXRD's and new Toshiba cinema series are probably as good or slightly better for HD in the 1080 mode.

NotSoBad
Unregistered guest
I got my replacement lamp. TS-CL11OUAA is printed on the invoice, just TS-CL11OU printed on the box. It came with a 90 day warranty on material & workmanship good in the 50 United states D.C. & Peurto Rico. I guess JVC appreciates their Canadian customers better than their US customers. Canada warranty is for 1 year! While I was waiting to receive my lamp (ordered Monday nite, got it Thursday afternoon) I e-mailed JVC to ask about the bulb warranty, they responded (James Summersill, JVC Customer Relations, 1-800-858-6442) "The lamps have a 90 day warranty."
If thats the case, and this bulb fries every 91 days, I'm basically "renting" a TV for $75 a month after paying a $3000 down payment. I can relate to WANA69 about cringing every time you on turn on the TV, knowing the meter is running, or I may hear the "pop" telling my it's time to shell out another $220.
The big picture is, I watch TV to relax. If a TV causes me tension, it defeats the purpose. If I get my 5000+ hrs/18 months out of the bulb, I guess I can live with that, but if things get much worse, I think I'll go back to less expensive/less cutting edge technology.
I did replace the bulb as soon as I got it. It was a simple procedure & restored my picture to a nice bright & clear image. I reset the bulb clock as directed. Apparently the hours determined by the procedure WANA69 described on the service menu must be total operation hours (they didn't reset to zero). I record the numbers so I can see how long bulb number 2 last.
Does anyone know where I can get detailed info on the other functions of the service menu? It seems like it may be a good way to troubleshoot/adjust the tv if necessary.

bullet1
Unregistered guest
Model: HD-52Z585
Serial: 0785159
Manufacturer Date: Feb 2005.
Place: HHGregg 7/17/05 w/ 5 year extended warranty.

Problems: First bulb went out 1/17/06 after what I estimated about 400 hours.

2/15/06 Color on screen off completely. Had to wait a week and a half for service guy to come and he was at my house for 5 minutes and told me I need a new Light Engine. Of course he doesn't have one and needs to order. Right now I'm waiting on the new Engine to arrive.

I couldn't be more displeased with this product. And I can see from this thread that I am Very much not alone.

Anonymous

I cannot understand why anyone would purchase a TV with a replacement bulb if they didn't expect to replace it once in awhile. If that prospect causes you tension, maybe you're not cut out to own a projection TV.

Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Update on recent bulb failure:

The 52G886 projection bulb failed 25 FEB 2006 after running for about three hours; I contacted JVC today to request its replacement under warranty. The JVC representative said that he would FedEx a replacement with arrival tomorrow, 28 FEB 2006. Even if it arrives on 01 MAR 2006, that would be a first class response from JVC.

And, what is going on with this Anonomous sniper?

Serial Number: 110xxxxx
Ordered from Best Buy Plasma: 21 JUL 2005, delivered a week later in perfect physical condition
Use Pattern: Set turned on once almost daily and runs about 3-5 hours thereafter
Estimated total runtime since August 2005: 1000 hours
Power: Set is plugged into AC outlet on COMCAST cable control receiver without current surge/drop control capability because of the need for cool-off after shut-down

Anonymous

Sniper!? Sorry but I was just commenting about what someone said about feeling tension while watching their TV about when the bulb was going to fail. The bulb is going to fail, sometime. That's just the nature of the beast. Now, granted there are premature failures and I agree that people have a right to gripe about it. But, if you're so scared about bulb failure that your enjoyment of your TV is affected, then maybe you should look at some other technology. That is all that I was saying it was not intended as "sniping" as you term it. I am sorry if it was taken that way.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 459
Anonymous

Please note the thread title of this thread.

It's about "reporting" short lamp life. We all know the set is going to need a "bulb" at some point. The issue here is the large number of persons reporting failures not only here, but on other forums as well. Most people reporting they are not getting anywhere near the rated run time.

Secondarly, How about posting under your real user name instead of "Anonymous". You seem to be following this thread for some reason, if so you should create /post under one user name.

(Seems to be allot of Anonymous posters, Hard to tell which previous posts are yours -Would hate to get you mixed up with previous Anonymous posters :-)

https://www.ecoustics.com/bbs/board-instructions.html#account

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/board-profile.pl?action=register

BTW: You may have missed it, here are the rules:
https://www.ecoustics.com/bbs/forumrules.htm

The second item down is about posting under (1) name.

One more thing, for those hurling personal insults back and forth, instead of posting here cluttering up this thread for OWNERS of JVC D-ILA products who have had problems with their set or are concerned about these problems, please create a USER account and PM (Private Message) your insults back and forth.

The main thing here people is what JVC is going to do to support /honor us early adopters of these sets once the "offical" 1 year warranty is over.

Light engines are $1,700 +/- a pop
Lamps = $200 a pop, allot of people reporting they have replaced the lamp MORE than once.
HMDI boards ? $450?

For those that don't think the above dollar amounts are any big deal, Please PM me with your Paypal account address so you can Paypal me the above dollar amounts.

Anonymous

We,

Anyone can post Anonymously, that is an option they offer. And, before you start reading off the rules, maybe you should follow number 1 under the Do Nots, eh?

Anonymous

We,

Anyone can post Anonymously, that is an option they offer. And, before you start reading off the rules, maybe you should follow number 1 under the Do Nots, eh?

Gold Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 1012
Hd52z585 August 2004 built. First lamp lasted about 4 months. 2nd lamp is 14 months old with 2400+ hours on it and going strong...

NotSoBad
Unregistered guest
Anonymous, I was not offended by your alleged snipe.
Let me help you understand. I was shopping for the best picture, that's what drew me to the JVC. I did address the bulb issue, but the BB saleman made it sound like I would get a couple years before having to replace it. As I stated in previous post, I could live with the 18 month/5000 hour bulb life I got on my first bulb, but would feel better if the replacement bulb had more than a 90 day warranty.
In hindsight, I agree, I'm may not be cut out to own a projection TV and will probably buy a different technology the next time. I will do more research and be less impulsive. Maybe if bulb life improves/replacement cost goes down, I just might consider another projection TV.
I am curious to know how much profit JVC makes on each replacement bulb? It would really piss me off if it turns out JVC makes $150 profit on each $200 replacement bulb!

ddgang
Unregistered guest
Hello
Does anyone know what the symptoms would be if the light engine was going bad. How do I know its the lamp and not the light engine. I have a HD52G886, bought in Oct. 05. I have approx.1000 hrs. on it. Noticed it getting dimmer in Dec. but now it's to the point where it's hard to watch and I have the brightness all the way up. The faces are turning a greenish tint. (Mine is too!). I think JVC has a good product, the picture is phenomenol, (at least when it's new!). Any help is appreciated. thanks

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
ddgang,

I would get a service call scheduled. I'm not sure that it is a light engine but it kind of sounds like it. When my light engine went, I had the green tint thing happening on the corners of the screen. Then I had a brown nebula form in the lower middle of the screen that grew over the course of a couple of hours. That had the effect of dimming the picture dramatically. This may be what is happening to yours.

Username: Bullet1

My light engine symptoms were as follows:

First, I turned on the TV and the Red/Yellow/Blue pictures weren't on the same position on the screen. The Yellow was about an inch or 2 higher and it caused a ghosting effect and made the TV pretty unwatchable. This was initially fixed by turning off the TV then turning it back on. But after 2-3 times of that working it was broken 100% of the time. Then the Red totally cut out so now everything is a ghosting mix of Yellow and Blue. Still waiting on my replacement Light engine.

And as far as not being cut out to own a Projection TV. There are limits of workability that I am willing to accept. My TV being out of commission for more than a Month in the first six months of owning it is well outside that limit. I can see replacing a bulb every now and then but definitely not in 4 months of owning a TV and definitely not with less than 500 hours on it. And something like the light engine going out is totally unacceptable after 5 months of ownership. What kind of product control do they have that they are letting products go out with defective $1500+ parts on them. Ouch.

On a side note... when the TV is working, it definitely is the best picture quality for a projection TV that I have seen. I just wish I didn't have to go without it for weeks at a time waiting for it to be fixed.

And my TV information is posted just above in the "bullet1" thread before I registered.

Username: Gwelda

I am SOOOOOO GLADDDD I found this site. I was
within a day of buying a JVC based on the
picture I saw in the store. Now I'll stick with
my old 30" TV until the dust settles.

ddgang
Unregistered guest
Update! Guess what, I turned on my JVC this morning, it started warming up like normal, could hear voices and started seeing shadows of people. All of a sudden something made a snapping noise, then the set went black. Both the blue and red LED lights are now flashing. The manual says that there was suppose to be a sign on the screen saying that the lamp needed to be replaced. I never saw that sign so I guess that's why I'm askin if anyone out there has had these same symtoms and found out what the problem was. I called for a service man yesterday but sometimes it helps to know what actually went wrong. Thanks again for all your input. It's much appreciated.

Username: Bullet1

Post Number: 3
ddgang: Sounds like your bulb just blew to me. Call up JVC and have them send you a new one. Replacing it is a breeze and going directly to them should be much faster than working through a repair service.

When My bulb blew it made a nice little pop as well, and since there is no light source, there is no way for any message to be displayed on the screen. Unfortunately I hadn't found this site yet so I didn't know all I had to do was call JVC. I had to wait about a week to get it replaced. I think the message on the screen is after the bulb makes it to a certain number of hours according to the internal timer on the TV. Which, if you make it to that point, you should be counting your lucky stars.

Bronze Member
Username: Ruffwood

Post Number: 19
Add me to the blown bulb club. It just popped and screen went blank and then both lights flashing.

Model # 61Z575
Serial # 17984980
Pur Date 2/11/05
Approx 1000 hrs on bulb

Username: Harpy

Sign Me Up Too....

Model 52G566
Serial 13060751
Purchased Nov/8/05
Approx 750 Hrs on Bulb

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 619
Damn...I had no idea this set would have lamp issues like the Pan...ic. Has anyone rigged an extra fan to see if it's an air flow problem?

Username: Percival

I will join the blown bulb club:
Model 61Z886
Serial 08080355
Purchased Oct 15 2005

The thing that really gets me is the poor service from JVC. I am dealing with JVC Canada and while they continuously apologize for the inconvenience, it doesn't help the matter. I started by calling them on Monday because of a dimmed bulb and was told my case would need to be escalated and I'd be contacted by a tech in 24-48 hours. 48 hours later (bulb blown now), still no call so I call them back and they say they'll put priority on it and I should hear from someone in the next 24 hours. 24 hours later, you guessed it, no call. So I call back this morning and the guy tells me they automatically send out the bulbs unless they don't have them in stock. I tell him I wasn't even told that I'd get sent a bulb. I was reassured that they will send it out automatically and that I should wait 7-10 business days. I am seriously skeptical that I am even on an order list at this point. In the meantime, I am sourcing a spare bulb myself that I might get installed before JVC even gets a replacement sent to me. Support is everything and JVC doesn't have it, I appreciate the time they took to train the reps to apologize every other sentance, but they need to empower them to do more than escalate the case. Giving them an easy way to cross-ship replacements would be nice, especially when the problem is so widespread.

Thought I'd add a question. Most standalone LCD projectors use 250W bulbs that are rated for roughly 2000 hours when run at full brightness and a little more when run in 'econo' mode. Even though they rate these for 2000 hours, you notice dimming after about 1000 hours. Is there any reason why JVC can rate their bulb for 6000 hrs? Is it because they run them much cooler? Do RP-DLP and RP-LCD tv's have the same 6000 hr rating?

Username: Caveman2

Rio Rancho, NM USA

I just got an HD-55GC86 last month. It was a display model (supposedly for only 2 weeks, yea right). I am not having any problems with it but wanted to check the hours on the bulb. I am having trouble getting into the service menu. I am following the instruction from a previous post but am not getting anything. Do you need to be on a specific video input or something.

NotSoBad
Unregistered guest
MPJ
I had the same problem at first. The DVD/VCR switch has to be in the VCR position.

Bronze Member
Username: Ruffwood

Post Number: 21
Talked to JVC customer service today about status of my replacement bulb it blew on 3/2/06. They said "CALL BACK IN 3 WEEKS" This bulb issue is really getting out of hand. Checked local and internet everybody is backordered. The only ones available are the old style bulbs on ebay. No thanks.

Thought I'd post an update:
After 4 phone calls to JVC and still being told that someone would call me back I ended up spamming an email to all the departments on the JVC Canada website. I got an email response followed by a phone call the next morning. The tech gave me a work order number and i'm finally on the wait list for a bulb. They have no ETA on stock. At least I'm on the list.

I deal with a JVC authorized dealer on a weekly basis and they've also informed me that bulbs are back ordered 3 weeks. It's ridiculous.

In the meantime, I found a different Canadian JVC parts dealer that had a bulb in stock, a little steep at $299 CDN but waiting 3 weeks for a replacement bulb not acceptable.

I would highly recommend that people considering these JVC sets invest in a spare bulb. Just one would do, you wouldn't want to be stuck with a case of bulbs when your out-of-warranty set needs a new light engine.

Robert: If you goggle for the bulb part number, you'll find a couple of dealers in the U.S. that have them in stock. One is out of NY, and the other out of FL.

Username: Scherrman

I work at a small town electronics store and we carry JVC tv's. I really think that they are a great product, especially the D-ILA's. Now I know that everyone here is having problems with bulbs life, that is a big issue. That's what posts like this are for. You need to realize that this is a new technology and some bugs are going to needed to be worked out. Feedback like this will help JVC find and solve the problem.

Another thing I noticed from everyone's post is that you all bought from a large discount store like CostCo and Best Buy. Everyone that has bought from there seems to be unhappy with the service, DUH. Companys like that do not care about service. Then you go and complain to JVC. What you should do is buy from a privately owned business that sells JVC and focuses on service. The business i work for relies mainly on service. I can't understand how people forget that. So next time you buy a TV or anything, think about your local privately owned businesses if you want some real service.

Also, don't give up on JVC just yet.

Username: Tsduke

Post Number: 10
The locally owned private business in my area is over priced. I'll pay extra for service, but not hundreds of dollars extra. They also aren't an authorized dealer, which is the same as BB.

So what's the difference?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
The locally owned private business in my area is over priced. I'll pay extra for service, but not hundreds of dollars extra. They also aren't an authorized service center, which is the same as BB.

So what's the difference?

Username: Spectre

Dennis,

My lamp has been blown since last thursday.
After getting a real run-around from JVC phone support i sent an e-mail(also thursday).

They finally e-mailed back today that the lamps are back ordered, ETA 5-7 days.

"Did you know the JVC D-Ila uses DLP technology??"

They also are claiming NOW that the Lamps should have lasted "3000-6000 hours", not 6000 hours.

They made it seem in their e-mail to me that "the lamp is a consumable item but they are very generously replacing them under warranty".

All the statements above are straight from the e-mail from JVC support :-)

EXCEPT the generous remark, that is how i took it.

SET: HD61z585pa

IN service date: 04/05

Lamp blown: 03/02/2006.

Set turned on 5-6 hours per day.

Post Number: 4
Hey Lee,
Let me know when you actually get the lamp. Funny remarks from JVC. The 6000 hours rating is clearly a good way to entice new buyers. I know it did for me. But if you were to tell me 3000? I'd have second thoughts. At the same time, there are users in this forum that report close to 5000 hours so who knows. It sounds like you've almost got a years' worth of life out of the bulb, I'd be happy with that. Especially when the bulb maintains a very acceptable level of brightness throughout the entire lifespan.
I don't have a problem with the bulb being a consummable because it truely is. Most data projectors that you buy only come with a 90-day bulb warranty so 1-year is pretty decent. I don't mind paying $200-300 a year for the quality of picture i get on the Dila, I just wish that they'd have more bulbs in stock and easier accessibility. I will admit that I'm scared that the light engine will die out of warranty though.

In regards to the small business JVC dealer.. I agree with Todd, I'm all for the small business but I'm not willing to pay full retail when BB or Costco offers it at 10 points over cost. How would a small dealer treat me any different when it comes to getting a replacement bulb? Will I get a loaner 61" while I wait 3 weeks to get a new lamp? Probably not.

Username: Scherrman

Well I agree that not all private businesses may not have the greatest prices. Many do though in order to compete with Best Buy, I know we do. Actually I make sure our prices are the same or lower that our local Best Buy. We sell ours below the suggested retail value but I realize that not all private businesses with do so. Also we do loan out a TV in order to keep our customers happy. Its not easy trying to keep a lot of you people happy. Businesses lose a lot of money trying to keep customers satisfied and coming back. But stick with your gut and do what you feel is the best choice.
One more thing, i believe JVC is coming out with new D-ILA models this summer. They should be 1080p and have major improvements.

Dennis,

Are you considering an EW??

I purchased one through HH GRegg.

I guess i will find out if it is worth a hoot...

Username: Ddgang

I just received my replacement lamp, 9 days after ordering. Not too bad, but next time I will definitely order one as soon as I see the screen dimming considerably so I have one ready. I will say one thing, I agree with Corey on the point about buying from a home town dealer. They may not have all the brand names to compare to as Best Buy etc., but they did match their price and definitely go to bat for you when you have a problem. Tell me if I',m wrong, but the way I read the Lamp Warranty, as long as you are a consumer and not using the tv commercially, it is warranteed up to 1 year from replacement, not just 90 days as I read earlier. I can live with that. Thanks again for all your info. I'll keep you all posted how this lamp turns out.

Username: Caveman2

Rio Rancho, NM USA

Robert, thanks for the reply. The problem seemed to go away after programing the clock. The switch was in the vac position (I haven't hooked a dvd player to it yet. waiting to decide on a console for it)

Sacramento, CA USA

Perhaps the final update on my quest for a replacement lamp for my 52G886. Within the last two days, I received the AA version of the lamp from JVC vis-a-vis someplace in McAllen Texas. It did take a few weeks but the lamp did arrive in less time than it took for me to decide the JVC HD-52G886 was for me. It took about 3-4 calls. I was treated couteously and, for me, it was all good. I feel a bit contrarian in this forum but I still think the JVC TV I bought is unrivalled by all except the new Sony SXRD 50 inch set that costs nearly twice as much as the JVC in my living room. (And, who knows whether Sony will have difficulty with their projection lamps?) That said, I see no reason not to have a spare lamp available for future use.

One more thing, when you GOOGLE the lamp part number TS-CL110UAA, it seems that the part may be manufactured by Toshiba! Any thoughts?

Post Number: 5
Well, while I was at work I read Doug's message about getting the bulb today and felt a bit bummed as I was still waiting for mine. When I got home, i was surprised to find that the bulb that I ordered through a JVC dealer arrived and as a bonus, I also received my warranty bulb from JVC Canada!
My eyes are now tearing up, not just because both bulbs arrived but also because of how bright the picture is again.
Anyway, dispite the fact that JVC didn't have an ETA for me, I can't really complain about the service once I got through to someone and an order was entered into the system.
If I were to start over: I'd still buy the JVC, the picture is awesome. I do regret not buying the extended warranty though.
With the new bulb in and the spare to boot, you shouldn't hear from me in this forum for at least... a year? ok ok maybe 2.

Upload

Username: Iliketowatch

doug draeger
I don't know what country you live in, USA or Canada, but the lamp I recently purchased (2 weeks ago) from JVC website came with a "Warrenty" paper and "Lamp Replacement Instructions". On the warrenty paper upper left it states "Warrenty applies only to product distributed in Canada by JVC Canada Inc" (one year). On the Lamp Replacement Instructions, page 13, titled "Limited Warranty" states 90 days parts & labor in the US. According to my documents, if your lamp was shipped from JVC Canada to an address in Canada, you get 1 year warranty. If you live in the US you get 90 days warranty.

Good News Dennis.

Looks like i will be two weekends now with no tv for me. Watch something for me will ya :-)

Sacramento, CA USA

JVC has now sent me two replacement lamps, though I requested but one! Each had return shipping materials for returning the recently deceased carcass of the original lamp. Hmmmm! Now what? Just when I thought I might have exhausted any reason to communicate extensively with the troubled masses... JVC drew me into your midst again!

Hopefully robert you didn't have to give them a CC number???

They told me they were going to charge me 200 bucks if i did not send the old one back promptly.....

Username: Jamesdee

My JVC HDTV has pixels of red. I noticed when you change the input mode to something not in use (video 2), what use to be black screen is all red. Has anyone else experienced this and what was causing this. This TV is only 3 months old.

Username: Rebeat

damn, never realiased this set had such a hassle :-( - i just bought the JVC 56" LCoS (HD-ILA) here in australia:

hasnt been delivered as yet, but hope it will be ok. I short listed the JVC and sony wega grand 3LCD 60" (don't like the DLPs - but looked at the toshiba and samsung s7 series) both JVC and Sony had hdmi, sony was "slightly" more expensive, few hundred, but the JVC looked sharper.

Did i make the right decision?? i did get a 5 year extended warranty for just $200 -- i guess sony has it's "issues" but are they as common??

just hope a new high tungsten compound or long life conductive alloy is in production or on the table to preven globe fragility and instability for future bulbs.

To any JVC staff who read this and i am sure there are... the least you can give us is a tv that lives up to its bulb life, consistently.

Bronze Member
Username: Croozer

Rockford, IL United States

Post Number: 35
All RPTV's have a quirk, I also own a JVC HD52G866 and it has been a great RPTV, luckily I have not experienced a lamp problem.

Username: Gabby

Riverside, Ca USA

Our "Lamp" burnt out this evening, HD61Z565, it's amazing that no one noticed that the picture was begining to dim except me (I have to make an appointment to see my own box). The JVC documentation states that 6000 hrs of expected lamp life. We brought ours 4-13-05 and it's 3-12-06 (full month before the JVC Warranty is up), I'm thinking around 3500 hrs tops. Hoping to secure a lamp quickly... I't's nice to see other are having "issues"!!!

Username: Bcvader

Castlegar, British Colu... Canada

Corey,
I'm sure there are some small dealers that do business at the level you refer to. My experience with a small dealer was less than palatable. He knew about my problem when he sold my TV to me.. he cannot repair or service.. I have to go 28 miles away to TAKE it to a service center because the guy won't leave his shop as he is too busy to waste travel time. My first bulb blew at 42 days. I was so ticked at the guy at that time he should have told me to bring the TV back as he knew I would be unhappy, but no.. some song and dance about getting hold of JVC for me, acting as the concerned good guy, and get a replacement bulb for me, jvc promptly called me back and bypassed the dealer altogether... Talk about a warm and fuzzy screwing I got there. Anyway the second time he says "don't be mad at us we are just the middle men, the seller" and he said "they no longer handle JVC as it has problems"! My reply was "you will not see me nor any of my family nor as many of the couple of hundred people I know in your store to buy anything. You have a duty to look after the customer to ensure that they are satisfied in order to keep them comming into your store. I am not satisfied and feel that you have misrepresented the products you sold in the store and therefore have lost my trust. You cannot simply DROP a component line and claim no resposibility because you do not wish to do business with them and leave the customer to battle it out." He simply shrugged and had no comment.
I know many have stopped shopping in that store.

Username: Norski

Purchased the JVC HD-52G786 from Best Buy October 13, 2005. Bulb blew on March 9th, 2006. I called Best Buy first (maybe a mistake). It will take 2 weeks to get the bulb ETA March 23rd, 2006. I had the set on maybe 5-6 hours a day, and it only lasted 5 months. Not good. I hope it's a fluke.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Ron, do you know what your serial# and manufacture date is?

Username: Norski

Sorry..

Manufactured: August 2005
Serial Number: 13084919

Username: Bichonblitz

Does anyone know if a new lamp will fix a "no-red" issue on my 52Z? I had a tech at the house yesterday and he took out the exisitng lamp and blew some compressed air in the openning. He reinstalled lamp and the picture looked fine. Later that night there was no red again. He is ordering new lamp but I'm not sure that's the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Username: Tvshopper

Post Number: 6
Kevin,

The "no-red" issue is a light engine failure. It begins as an intermittent problem that turns permanent very quickly. I would take digital pictures and send them to JVC.

Username: Bichonblitz

Thank you tvshopper

Username: Flintstones

Add me to the Bulb Burn Out Club!

Model#: JVC HD-56G786
Ser:11082508
Manu Date: June, 2005
Purchased on: Dec 10, 2005
Approx bulb life: 800 hours
Bulb burned out: Mar 15, 2006

Username: Jaygordon

WooHoo!!! Im part of the club! The Burned Out Bulb Club...D'OH!!

Model: HD-52G786
Bought: 11/25/05
Burned out: 3/19/06
Pissed off: yes

Called Best Buy since i have the 4yr warranty, and they told me they could send out a tech to fix it, or I could call JVC and JVC could ship me a new lamp. Since i want my TV working ASAP I think its best if i can get JVC to ship me a bulb.
I call JVC and the tech tells me "that is an expensive lamp, I have to escalate this to my supervisor. My supervisor will call you back in 48-72 hrs"

WTF??

Jay

Post Number: 8
Jay,

I would also address it though their web site by sending an email to support to see if you get any better response.

Username: Deanbrew

Post Number: 7
I'm also pissed. My bulb burned out on Sunday. I called JVC yesterday morning at 9 AM. Had to wait on hold for 15 minutes, gave all of my information and was told a technician would call me back within 24 hours.

This morning at 11:30 I called again. I told the person who finally answered that I did not get my call back within 24 hours. She said that my call was not "escalated" properly yesterday, and that she re-entered me. I should now expect a call back within 24 to 48 hours.

I blew my stack. She repeated that I am now at the bottom of the list and it will take 24 to 48 hours to get a call back. I asked to speak with her manager and explained what happened. He reiterated that it can take 24 to 48 hours for a callback and I was not placed ahead in the list to make up for the screw-up yesterday. He said it wouldn't be "appropriate" to put me ahead of others. I said it wasn't my fault that yesterday's call wasn't handled properly, so it IS appropriate to expedite me up the list. He said he wouldn't do it. I told him this process is stupid and all I want is a bulb sent to me today.

I asked for his name, but I think he gave me a fake one. Now I'm worried that he buried my call and I'll really be waiting. I filled out the email form yesterday, as well, but haven't received a call or reply from that, either.

I am VERY unhappy with JVC's customer service.

Model: 61Z786
Bought: September 2005
Hours on bulb: 735 (I checked on Sunday when it was going dim before it blew).
Serial No.: 13064***

I just called for the third time about 30 minutes ago. I was informed that my 24-48 hour period for a call-back did not start until I called the second time on Tuesday, so I lost 24 hours due to the screw-up by the first person I called on Monday. Again, I was told I could not be connected with a tech, even though 48 hours has passed. MY 24-48 hours started on Tuesday, not Monday. So, I am now looking at up to another 24 hour wait. Boy, am I glad I called on Tuesday to check the status. I will be EXTREMELY upset if the tech tells me that he has no bulbs to send and I have to wait longer. But what can I do? Not a damn thing, it appears.

I have yet to receive a reply from my email.

I am still unhappy with JVC's customer service. I know this isn't a life and death issue...it's just TV, after all. BUT...it's a VERY expensive piece of electronic equipment that is rendered completely useless. I don't think it's unreasonable to talk to a real live person who can offer help within 24 hours. I'm looking at my third day and haven't even found out when to expect a bulb. I sure hope the replacement bulb I eventually get lasts a lot longer than five months and 735 hours. I don't want to have to go through this crap every six months.

Post Number: 9
Got my phone call from JVC yesterday late afternoon, 56 hours after placing my first call. The "tech" said that the bulbs are "in transit from Japan" and should arrive within a few days. He will send one out to me via 2-day FedEx when they come in. I should have my bulb within seven days.

I asked about the fact that they were out of stock, and he admitted that JVC is replacing "a lot" of bulbs, but that the lamp was re-designed, and all bulbs sent out after late November are the improved lamps. He said they have received no redesigned lamps back yet under warranty.

That sounds good, but none of those lamps have been installed for more than about 3.5 months yet, so that isn't all that great an indication. Still, we can always hope that improvements were indeed made. Can't do much more than hope, can we?

At least I have some idea when my lamp should come. I still think JVC's customer service process is crappy. Of course, I went through the smae thing getting a new bulb for my BIL's Sony TV. But it wasn't MY TV, so I didn't care all that much that it took a week to get a new lamp. [He is technology-adverse and had me get the new bulb and install it.]

I know I will be very happy when the TV is up and running again. I still think the TV provides a great picture, and I hope this lamp lasts the 6,000 hours that JVC says it should.

Username: Ddgang

I replaced my bulb about 2 weeks ago, and am very happy with it so far---sometimes I look at the picture and wonder if it's getting dimmer already----I hope I'm just paranoid.--1 thing I did notice though, or actually my daughter noticed, cuz she happened to be at the right height to see it. It looks like 1 or 2 of the pixels have turned colors. 1 of them is blue and 1 is green. You can't see them when you have a red or white colored shirt, etc. in the background but when it has a black background it is definitely there. You have to look at it almost straight on. Has anyone else out there experienced this----does anyone know what the problem is. I read once before that some tvs had pixels that burned out, but I thought it was limited to the plasma units. Thats 1 reason why I went with the projection unit. Thanks for any info!!!

Bronze Member

Doug,

I don't know about the pixel issue but I will tell you that initially the bulb is brighter than normal and it settles in after 50 - 100 hours of use. So, you may be noticing some slight dimming.

Username: Turbojr74

I'm curious about everyone that has had to get a bulb replaced - Do you have to send back the blown one under warranty? Or have ppl looked at buying one just to have a spare on hand?
I thought for a moment there I was reading that ppl were calling up JVC and saying their bulb went out and getting a new one just to have a spare incase theirs did burn out.

Username: Zabo

My set started going dim (almost unwatchable) yesterday. Called cust svc, on hold one min, was told they would escalate my call, have a service tech call me in 24-48hrs. Hope I can get a bulb soon.

1: The mfg /model:HD-56G886
3: Date of mfg : June 2005
4: Date of purchase : Oct 2005
5: Note symptoms in DETAIL : VERY dim display
6: Note hours run each day. : 4-6
7: Note the amount time you keep the set powered UP once it is turned ON: 4-6 hrs, ie not powered up and down mult times
8: Note estimated TOTAL amount of run time: 750 hrs of lamp time according to D070, D071
9: Note if set in plugged into a UPS: no, just a Monster line conditioner/filter

Bronze Member
Username: Bigguylow

Alameda, CA USA

Post Number: 14
Joseph, you have to return the blown lamp. JVC provides a prepaid FedEx label for you and a short questionnaire for you to fill out.
I started using the TV last April 05, lamp blew Mar 12. Took 2 weeks to get replacement bulb. I'm thinking of buying a spare just in case the lamp blows, so I won't lose any TV time, then call extended warranty to get replacement to keep as spare.

Username: Decadence

1: The mfg/model: HD-52G886
2: Serial number range: 1206----
3: Date of mfg: July 2005
4: Date of purchase: September 2005
5: Note symptoms in DETAIL: Blown Lamp after six months
6: Note hours run each day: 0 - 15 (Inconsistent)
7: Note the amount time you keep the set powered UP once it is turned ON: 0 - 15 (Inconsistent)
8: Note estimated TOTAL amount of run time: 1-1.5k hours
9: Note if set is plugged into a UPS: Plugged directly into outlet/No black-outs since purchase
10: N/A
11: Note part numbers of replaced parts if known: Not yet received
12: Please make a brief statement, stating how long you expect a tv to last. How many years it should last before needing repair: 10 years

The sales-man explained that the lamp would need to be replaced every 6000 hours when I purchased the television. As I generally do not watch a lot of television, I estimated that this would mean replacing this part every 3-4 years - Which I decided that I could live with. I had - In fact - intended on purchasing a spare lamp to have on hand for when the time arrived in order to avoid any down-time. I spoke to the local service center yesterday, and was told that this problem seems to be occurring with all rear-projection televisions and not just JVC.

As for JVC's response: I called yesterday morning and my call was returned yesterday afternoon (Unfortunately, I missed it). I called back a couple of hours ago, and was informed that I'd receive my replacement by the end of the week. So, I've no complaints thus far with their response.

One thing that disturbed me prior to the lamp blowing (3-4 weeks prior) was when my spouse pointed out what looked like three hairs floating at the top of the screen (6-12" each on the screen itself). I'm hoping that this was related to the lamp, but will see once the replacement has been installed.

As for the television itself: I'd been rather pleased with it up to this point. I even got over the fact that my amplifier won't fit in the stand once I listened to a CD through the set (Not as nice as my Cerwin-Vegas, but some damned good speakers for a television).

I realize that whomever started this wanted an e-mail address; However, I've been unable to locate a free e-mail service that doesn't require me to run either Active-X or Java (Yes, I know about FireFox and have played with it, but it doesn't give me the control over my cache that I want).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
G.S. Eliot

I had that same problem with the stand that came with the TV. I drilled some new holes and moved the glass shelf up so I could get my receiver in the stand.

Username: Zabo

Followup from earlier post - A tech called me back yesterday and had me remove the lamp and inspect it - told me to look for "spider-web" pattern in base of bulb and/or a "bubble" near the stem of the bulb. I saw both of these in my bulb. So they are sending me a new bulb - should arrive "early next week".

Overall, I have been pleased with JVC response to my problem; however, the tech I talked with said that this was not a widespread problem, despite all the postings here. So I am not sure if JVC is acknowledging the bulb problems that seem to be out there, or if we are just in the minority here.

Post Number: 10
I got my call from JVC yesterday, and the guy said to expect my new bulb Thursday or Friday. That would mean 10 or 11 days after I first called. That is too long, IMO, although I understand the "in transit from Japan" explanation.

I've put my old 27" TV on a stand in front of my big-screen. My lord, it looks small! And the scan lines are so apparent. Can't wait to get my JVC up and running again. And, yes, the guy said I need to send the old bulb back.

Bronze Member

I got my bulb yesterday - nine days after I called. I installed it and everything is right with the world. It came with a form to fill out and a shipping label to send the old one back.

To conform with the format requested in this thread:

1: JVC HD-61A786
2: Serial number 13064XXX
3: Date of mfg: didn't look at back
4: Date of purchase: 9/28/05
5: Note symptoms in DETAIL: Picture dimmed over several days, and then I heard a "pop". The screen went black and the red and blue lights on front started flashing rapidly.
6: Note hours run each day: average of 4.2.
7: Note the amount time you keep the set powered UP once it is turned ON. 1 to 6 hours, typically.
8: Note estimated TOTAL amount of run time: 737 hours according to timer.
9: Note if set in plugged into a UPS: Yes
10: If you have to replace the lamp, or have replaced multiple lamps please note any differences between the old, and new lamp: The new lamp looks identical to the old one to the eye - part no. TS-CL110U
11: Note part numbers of replaced parts if known: N/A
12: Please make a brief statement, stating how long you expect a tv to last. How many years it should last before needing repair: At least 15 years, other than bulb replacement, which should occur at 6,000 hours as JVC indicated at the time of sale. Based on my usage over the last six months, 6,000 hours would be four years for me. There is a BIG difference between replacing a bulb every four years and replacing it every six months.

Username: Kobebear8

Anyboby out there with a 61-inch Jvc Hd-ila tv. I am looking for the best setting on the contrast, color, tint ect, on each format example. Theather pro, game . If there is anybody out there who help me make my picture look its best, would be much appreciated.

Username: Turbojr74

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/69211.html#POST654492

Here you are.....

Username: Buzzam

I'm lucky or am I? my bulb lasted over 1500 hrs.13 months. The wife never turns this thing off. Finally dual simultainious flashing lights. The bulb is blown. Fortunately I have the best buy 4 yr warrenty. I call them up and tell them"the wife burned up the bulb" The very next day a sevice tech calls me, says her name is Michelle, will be out between 10,12 oclock. Sounds like a guy! I leave work to meet the technician. The truck pulls in my driveway, curley hair no wounder the name ???? a girl tech? but wait<<< it,s a transvestite?!! buts thats ok please just fix my tv. heshe pulls my lamp and confirms yes you have a blown lamp. I will order one and when you get it call me and I will come back and install it.{a amature could install this bulb} 8 days later still back ordered. no one in the us has one. bottom line, Best Buy next time you send a transvestite to change my lamp please send a tranny with a bulb. LOL. but still no tv

Username: George5d

Hello! I just wanted to know how the lamps are holding up? My wife and I are thinking about the JVC HD-61Z886 and the only thing stoping us is all the posts of short lamp life. We just don't have the $$$$ to spend every 6 months or so for lamps.. How do you guy gals like you sets? If you had it to do over what would you do? Please any and all info would be great.. The good with the bad.. I worry about service too... Seems like most of you had issues with JVC service.. Please help us decide.. Thanks! George

Username: Rfj7575

Add me to bulb short life list. HD61Z585 purchased 2/05. 1st bulb burn out 5/05. 2nd bulb burn out 3/06. Usage 40 hours per week prox. Awaiting response from JVC (playing phone tag).

Username: Sim_tech

I have an HD56*** and bought it in Nov 05, Feb 06 Lamp out, no warning, replaced bulb. Apr 06, Lamp out again.
But here is how I taking care of the problem
Anyhow bottom line for you people having problems with getting a new bulb (under warranty) I went to jvc.com clicked on Service center locator, typed in my model # and zip code and it gave me a long list of service centers in my area. Called the nearest one, they sent a guy out within a week and replaced the bulb. I have called the same service center again and they are sending someone out. These people are just repairmen and don't work for JVC.

Username: Maxoccupancy

Soquel, CA USA

I have had a 52G886 since 8/05. Several days ago, it suddenly went dim. I know how to access the service menu but I don't know how to check the bulb timer. Can someone help me? I know it shouldn't have any more than 1500 hours on it. I've emailed JVC about it. I can only hope I don't have to go through too much bs with them.
Despite this problem, I still love the TV!

Bronze Member
Username: Honk

Post Number: 15
HD 52Z585
Purchased 10/11/04
SN 12981998 - manufactured July 2004
very rough est of viewing hours - 3200
Line filter - Monster power center HTS2500
UPS - yes

Previous problems - no sound thru HDMI.
Resolved once thru warranty. Problem returned after warranty expired (living with it since I use digital audio from 'D'TV box anyways).

Other than HDMI - have had no other problems. Picture is perfect.

However, the "replace lamp" warning has just appeared. I am curious if this is an "elapsed time" or "state of the bulb" warning. I have seen references to finding the actual "usage" time, but so far have been unable to find the method. Please help.

I have ordered a new bulb from JVC Service ($217 incl. shipping/tax) I am planning on installing the new bulb as soon as it arrives and keeping the old one as reserve. Just wondering about its status if the new one "blows", as often seems to be the case.

Username: Bcvader

Castlegar, British Colu... Canada

run the bulb til it pops.. no point in being dissapointed twice..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Reading the bulb hours: Make sure both sliders at top of the remote are to the left. On your remote first push sleep, then push display and video status at the same time. Then select 4 (even thought not on the screen). Navigate (using up and down buttons) to D070, read the left most three digits. Multiply this number by 256. Navigate to D071, read the left most three digits, and add to first number. The sum equals the total hours. i.e. if D070=002 and D071=060 then total hours = (2*256)+(60)=572.

Daniel: "I have ordered a new bulb from JVC Service ($217 incl. shipping/tax) I am planning on installing the new bulb as soon as it arrives and keeping the old one as reserve. Just wondering about its status if the new one "blows", as often seems to be the case."

Why would you want to keep the old, partially-used bulb as the reserve? I would keep the new one as the spare and "use up" the original one. Interesting to hear from someone who has gotten significant life from his original lamp.

Username: Buzzam

Thanks Dean. I had sent an email to JVC asking how but haven't got a reply yet. I checked my hours and it was 25hrs. I put a new lamp in last wed. Thats 5hrs a day. I guess the circuit resets when you change the bulb. I couldn't get out diagnostic mode so I power cycled and everythings ok. Got nervous for a moment

Soquel, CA USA

Thanks for the info dean. Unfortunately I couldn't check it because my bulb blew when I turned it on this morning! I called JVC. The lady gave me the shpeel about the bulb baing defective and that Gabriel will call me back about ordering the part. The part I love is she says that if I don't hear back from him today, just wait 48-72 hours. Wonderful. I will burn incense on the altar of the Rear Projection God and pray!

Username: Owner1

Add me to bulb burnout list and lousy JVC service experience.

Model: HD56g786
Purchase date: 7/06
Purchase place: Bestbuy
Burnout Date: 3/06
Bulb Hours: 700

Bestbuy warranty dept and JVC say no replacement bulbs until at least 4/24/06 and then will send replacement. First JVC service tech extremely unhelpful, transferred to another tech's voice mail and no return call yet.

Username: Boombaza1

what do these burnt out lamps look like, exactly

Bronze Member
Username: Likegrouch

Post Number: 28
You cannot really distinguish between a good and a bad bulb - the burnt ones, of course are pretty obviously burnt

Username: Tvusersunite

Add me to the list - Burned out Friday Night of course right before the weekend.

Anyhow called customer service Gabriel called back Monday morning, said that problem might be with fingerprints on the old bulbs during manufacturing.

So be careful once you receive your new bulbs, putting it in. Also said backordered.

Think I will stick with Sony next time I should of known better, I do love the picture..

Model: HD56g786
Bought: 10-14-05
Hours: Approx 700hours on first Bulb
Purchase Place: Fry's

Username: Boombaza1

Mine finally went out last night. Called JVC customer service this morning and talked to Justin. He is sending a new lamp via FedEx this afternoon.

Soquel, CA USA

Well, I got my replacement today. I've read some horror stories of people dealing with JVC cust service, but I had a good one.
My bulb went out on Mon. April 10. Called that morning and received a call back on Wed. Told me I should have it by the next week. I just got it today (April 18) and put it in. Everything looks great. So far.
I have a HD-52G886, manuf. and purchased in 08/05. Less than 1500 hrs on the bulb.

Username: Jeff2215

Is anyone else worried what happens once JVC gets you by the warranty period? I had one bulb go out 4 months into owning the 56 DLP. I replaced it 2 months ago. Now I have either another bulb going out or something else. I have lost the brightness of the picture. The white is a dull white now. 2 months after replacing the bulb. Spending over $2500 on a TV and getting crap sounds like a good reason to return this junk.

How do you return it after having it so long? My wife and I almot got the 66' modle but decided to check out the boards first. I know the picture is great but if you can't keep them up and running or the cost of maybe 2 or 3 bulbs a year at $200 a pop it a bit hight to me. We are still thinking it over at this point.George

There are things like "Lemon Laws" and Lawyers that I am sure could get the job done.

Username: Whathappend

My picture on my 52G886 dimmed about 1.5-2 months ago. I was sure the bulb wouldn't last a week as it was getting dimmer every day. I had around 1400 hours when the image started to dim. I called JVC and they wanted me to remove the bulb and look for bubbling at the base or spider webbing at the top of the bulb. I didn't have any. I had to unplug the TV to re-wire my components to my UPS and when I repowered the TV and used it the image was brighter again. I had been running the bightness just about MAXed out(+30) for a month, now I am down to (+10) I now have 1750 hours on the bulb.

Anyone else seen the dimming behavior?

Username: Tvusersunite

Update: Received the bulb 4-20 not bad called 4-17-05 Picture seems brighter. JVC still needs to fix this issue! Someone should go to handelonthelaw.com and start a class action.

All I am saying is this is ridiculous. You spend $2500+ on a TV and get nothing but problems. Yea, you can say they are standing behind their product, blah, blah, blah, but I am on my second issue with a tv that isn't even 8 months old. What am I suppose to suspect is going to happen a year from now. They need to do a recall and fix the damn issue before releasing crap product. If I knew what I was in for I never would of bought a JVC.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 663
Jeff said, "I had one bulb go out 4 months into owning the 56 DLP."

JVC doesn't make a DLP.
You have a JVC LCOS with a Toshiba lamp problem.
Your concern is warranted.
Perhaps you need an extended warranty that covers lamps until they resolve this issue.

Ok, I have a JVC IDLH 56. They do make that right? I swear, this forum sure likes to defend a product that sucks!!! Do all of you work for JVC? Purchase an extended warranty? Are you kidding. When you go buy a new car and 2 weeks later the transmission fails do you push your car back to the dealership and go, Geee my tranmisssion quit. That's ok, just put another one in there. Then 2 weeks later same thing. And your telling me to push my car back to the dealership and say geee, it happened again oh well. By the way can I buy an extended warranty, over looking the fact that there is a serious problem going on here? JVC has a serious problem and fixing the bulb ever few months and telling me to spend more money makes no sense. These products are suppose to last several years before any sort of failure. That's what I expect, nothing less. For crying out loud I spend $2500, I should get what I paid for and not have to deal with problems all the time.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 665
Want some cheese with that whine?

I defended the DLP you mis-characterized.

Yea, I've had a chronic trani failure in a new truck. Three tries under warranty did the trick and I still have that truck. I know some folks who bought $300k homes with major issues too.

These HD sets are new inventions. We are the test bed for projection LCD, DLP, LCOS/D-ILA, Plasma, and soon SED, and LED. Better get the 5 year warranty if you want to experience new technology. These aren't your old CRT televisions. You bought a projector. Having a spare lamp for -0- downtime goes with the territory. Front projector owners know this and they buy lamps by the dozen. Their lamps run hotter and die faster.

As for JVC, there is either a cooling problem, a ballast issue, or just a bad production run of Toshi lamps. Many JVC owners are beyond 3000 hours, so, it may just be a bad run. It's my understanding that JVC has replaced a few beyond the warranty period. I think that puts them way ahead of Sony and Pan...ic in the CS department. Though I'm a DLP owner, I've seen the JVC picture and it's quite stunning. I think they will work through the lamp issue.

Most people don't realize that a little computer fan keeps the lamp from self-destructing. It doesn't take much dust or lint to slow that little guy down. Popping the back off and using the brushy attachment to your vac hose every 4-6 months is smart preventive maintenance for any projection television.

From what my dealer is telling me you can't just pop the back off because it will disable the HEMI. You will need a code to get it back up. That is one reason I didn't buy the hd61-Z886 yet. That and the lamp issue. I still have a good picture on our 43" Toshiba so the wife and I are in no rush.I do pop the back off and give it a good clean out and pop the screen off and also clean it and the guns. The dealer also told me that this was not needed on the JVC as it was a sealed unit built in a clean room. I don't no about this! I was lucky my dealer told me of the lamp issue so I did a bit more looking on the web to see what i could come up with. We decided to wait a bit but it was close because the picture was that good on the JVC 61". We almost walked out with it the first day we seen it.If not for that lamp issue we would have one! I think I can trust my dealer he didn't have to tell me about this but he did. George

Sacramento, CA USA

FYI: I will probably follow your suggestion for "dusting off" the lamp occasionally. It couldn't hurt!

A separate issue: Over the last few days the red color portion of the spectrum has blinked on and off a few times before staying off... completely, resulting in greenish skin tones. I replaced the lamp about a month and a half ago with one of the two that JVC sent me. Do any of you have any experience with loss of part of the color in the projected images? I'd appreciate your perceptions or your experience.

Serial Number: 110xxxxx
Estimated total runtime since August 2005: 1000 hours before failure; about 200 hours on new lamp... and all was until 'red-out'!

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 926
The lamp is located behind the left speaker, at the front. Do not open the back of the set for anything.

Username: Navychief

YokosukaJapan

I am joining the "bulb club". Bought my TV 23DEC05 and now my bulb is so dim I can't even see face or details. Probably going to go out altogether anyday. I just turned it off and won't watch it until someone comes out and takes a look at it. I am calling the service rep for my area tommorrow because they are closed on mondays. Problem is I am stationed in Japan so getting JVC help is hard. Not only is there a language barrier but they are saying that I have to go through the store that I bought it from and have them schedule an appointment for them to come to my house and look at it. Strange that they would say that because they told my wife (she is japanese thank god) that if the store contacted them tommorrow they could be at my house the following day. Why they can't just make an appointment with me on the phone is beyond my logic. Anyway, here is my data;

Product: JVC HD61Z886
Serial Number: 13087342
Date of manufacture: ??? (didn't want to break everything down to look at the back yet.)
Purchase Date: 23DEC05
Location of Purchase: Navy Exchange, Yokosuka Japan
Use Pattern: Set turned on/off 2-3 times daily (proper cool down observed), 10 hours viewing time a day for an estimated 1200 hours.
Power: Set is plugged into a monster power supply HTS 5000 with no battery back up. However, I have had no power outages and the TV has been allowed to go through it's proper cooldown each and every time.
Expected Life of TV: (my expectation based on the amount of money I paid) 8 years minimum!

PS. Mr Lynch can you please sned me the service manual? I would be very appreciative. jjroper@hotmail.com

PS.S does anyone have settings for their TV that they can tell me so I can set my TV up right? I got into the service menu but don't have a clue about any of it. Thanks all.

Username: Navychief

YokosukaJapan

Forgot to mention, my lamp/program light blinks when I turn my set on/off. It stops after the picture comes in. Doesn't that mean the lamp is messed up or is it the light engine? In any case I want to get it looked at soon. Tried watching a DVD tonight and it was just barely watchable. Still dark as hell!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us