JVC AV-56WP30 56 in. Rear Projection Television

Username: Michale2469

Post Number: 1
While watching the above JVC TV, all of the sudden the screen went black and I heard a heartbeat kind of thumping coming from the speakers. The TV did not respond to the remote or the manual power button. Blue power light stayed lit.

I unplugged the TV and then plugged it back in after a minute or so. Heard the thumping again and then the blue power light started blinking on and off. No other response.

That was quite a while ago... Now I got some info that said the problem was a condition called power supply overcurrent shutdown. The TV is going into a protection mode to prevent further circuit damage.

Now, the TV sat at a repair shop for a while and then I was told it was going to take $400 to fix the problem.

I can't afford it so I am hoping that the issue is something I can fix myself. I am relatively intelligent, can read a schematic and am handy with electronics and tools.

Can this be something I can fix at home??

Thanx for any info...

Post Number: 2
*Bump*

Username: Jvcorbust2

Post Number: 1
Michale, I am having the same issue. Did you ever figure this out?

Post Number: 3
Hi Tracey,

No, I haven't.. I have not been able to find any info on a home fix for this problem. It breaks my heart to see my HD TV covered by a sheet, unable to watch it. :^/ hehehe

Did you get an estimate on yours?? Since it doesn't look like a home fix is doable, I am hoping for a better estimate.. Something in the neighborhood of $100 or so..

Michale

Bronze Member
Username: Doa

Post Number: 31
You folks may want to post your questions over on avsforum.com Lots of self helpers there.

Post Number: 2
I did get a response very quickly from Experts.com and he said the same thing your tech did. Looking at about $400 to fix. However, he did tell me that is a very model and worth the repair. Mine is only 4 years old.

Post Number: 4
Thanx, DOA...

I'll check it out.

Michale

Post Number: 3
Michale, any luck on avsforum.com? I went on there and it seems like there is so much to navigate through. I have someone coming to my house Tuesday morning for my TV. I'll let you know what it costs me! I can't stand not being able to watch Nascar on Sundays!

Post Number: 5
Hi Tracy,

Not much luck with the AVS Forums.

Here is my post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=709599

Basically, I got one response that said I should have it professionally repaired.

I would be very interested to know what you find out.

Thanx

Michale

Post Number: 4
Michale,
The service tech just left. Fixed my TV for $218.00 which includes the charge to come out to my house. He replaced both convergence amps(not sure if I spelled that correctly). So we are all set! Good luck...let me know how you make out. It's so nice to have my BIG TV back!

Post Number: 6
WOOOT WOOOT!!!!

I ordered 2 CONVERGENCE ICs for a grand total of $28.00 shipped.

They just came in today.. I replaced the ones in the TV and VIO'LA!! I now have a working JVC AV-56WP30 TV!!!! :D

Many thanx, Tracy for the heads up!

Saved me $350..

Much appreciated!!

Michale

Post Number: 5
I'll make sure I send you the bill for my services...Ha Ha. Enjoy!

Bronze Member
Username: Jwj356

San Mateo, California USA

Post Number: 34
Now this beats all the gloom and doom of the lamps problem.

Good show!!

John

Post Number: 7
Thanx.. It was Tracy's clue that made it possible. I would still be chasing the "over current shutdown" problem, if she hadn't posted.. :D

Now all I need to do is find the IR codes for the REMOTE (RM-C322G) so I can program my PRONTO and I am good to go! :D

Post Number: 6
Sorry, can't help you with that one Michale! Good Luck!

Silver Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 133
wow that is alot of labor being charged for parts that cost 28 shipped, that is just unfair....

how much time does an operation like this take?

Post Number: 8
GRIZZLY
Yea, it seemed a little steep, considering..

I had prepped the convergence PCB before hand. Desoldered the old chips, cleaned the holes, etc etc. That took me about 20 mins.

When the new chips arrived, it only took me about 10 mins to solder them in, apply the goop and screws and replace the board in the TV..

:D

TRACEY
Hay, Tracey.. You wouldn't happen to have a PRONTO remote, would ya???

Michale

Post Number: 9
Oops Never mind, Tracey.. I see you mentioned before that you don't have a pronto..

I can't believe that this one little button is preventing me from adjusting my Convergence..

"For want of a nail......."

Michale
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us