RCA Picture is flooded red

Username: Litmus42

Post Number: 1
I have a Y2K 36" RCA CRT set. One day, I turned it on, and the picture looked very red. It quickly turned redder and redder until it was unwatchable. I've unplugged it for days at a time, and the picture is just flooded in red when turned back on. I'm hesitant to take it in, as the repairman charges $50 just to look at it. Any ideas? Thanks for looking.

Username: Sonyfan

Post Number: 2
I'm not a trained tech, but for what its worth I know about six possible reasons, vid amp, color gun, etc and none of them are worth fixing. RCA is generally built for price not durability. A color change like you describe is almost always the visible symptom of a fatal failure in any brand. Sorry, but it's probably dumpster time.

Silver Member
Username: Birdwatcher

Post Number: 186
i had my hd tv from RCA mess up exactly like that. I had it fixed for two hundred dollars. The guy said some oil from the manufacture somehow leaked onto a circuit board that then in turn fried, causing my tv pic to turn very red. My tv is a 51" RCA Scenium

Username: Sonyfan

Post Number: 4
Oil leak from manufacture? On a TV line? Ooze from a leaky capacitor on the fried board I'd believe. Looks and feels exactly like goopy oil. Anyway the question for John D is whether or not an RCA CRT that age is worth the repair investment. Even up here in Canada where prices are higher a brand new replacement 36" RCA tube retails for about $400 or so, and since a lot of RCA tubes tend to develop serial problems after 5 yrs or so, depending on usage....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us