Sylvania SSR90V4 recorder updated, still wont work

Username: Dvd_recording

Kalamazoo, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1
David,
I read your message too late about avoiding the combo units for recording, bought a brand new Sylvania recording combo SSR90v4 off of ebay, unreturnable, didnt record or play in -RW or -R like it was designed to, co. sent me the disc to update it, still doesnt work, makes all kinds of noises, they want $57 to send in to look at it, had me unplug it for 1/2 hour etc. to no avail, any tips for getting this going?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2778
Your best bet is probably to try to work with the seller if possible. If he's a reputable seller and sold it as working, he should do something to fix the situation. What brand and speed discs are you using? Isn't Sylvania a + recorder?

Kalamazoo, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2
It was only a 7 day return policy, not enough time to buy the right discs etc, & get it going, the logo on front said -RW -R format only, which I used, the updated software disc was supposed to let the 8x speed work. Now it only makes noises & wont play or record, the vcr side still works.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2782
What brand discs are you using?

Kalamazoo, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3
NexTex 4.7 8x,,,,,,,tried others like HP that I recorded on,,,nothing will play or record on it, makes a buzzing sound & gives error message that this disc will not record or play

Gold Member

Post Number: 2792
I'd say you're pretty much out of luck.

Username: Hep1

Post Number: 1
I recently bought a Sylvania SSR90V4 VCR/DVD recorder on auction from Sam's Club for $102 plus taxes and shipping. After having lack of success in recording similar to others who have posted on this bulletin board, I sent an email to Customer support and received the following reply:

"Below is a list of discs that should or should not be used with the DVD recorders.

"DVD-R
4x can be used
8x will result in a disc error.

"DVD-RW
2x can be used
4x will result in a disc error.

"The following discs have been tested and are proven to be compatible with our DVD recorders.

MEMOREX DVD-R
FUJIFILM DVD-R
FUJIFILM DVD-RW
IMATION DVD-RW
IMATION DVD-R 2.0
TDK DVD-RW 2X
TDK DVD-R 2X

"The following are brands of discs we DO NOT recommend:

MEMOREX DVD-RW
SONY DVD-RW
SONY DVD-R
TDK DVD-RW 4x
TDK DVD-R 4x

"Please be aware that a free software upgrade is now available to customers. This upgrade will enable your unit to recognize the (DVD-R 8x) discs. To obtain a copy, please call 1-800-242-7158. Customer service by phone is available 7 days a week 6:00am to 9:00pm pacific time.

"In order to receive the upgrade we need to know what firmware version your unit requires. First you need to access the DVD recorders service mode. Turn on the DVD Recorder and the Television, make sure the unit is on the DVD side. You may access the service mode by pressing the CMSKIP button on the remote control. Once you press CMSKIP you must press the numbers 1,2,3. You must do this quickly so it may take a couple tries. The model name will appear on the screen followed by Firmware Version. I need to know the serial number next to FE:
"Press the RETURN button to exit screen."

When I called Customer Service with the firmware serial number, the person I spoke to informed me that they are working on a firmware upgrade to enable the use of DVD-R media up to 16x. It is projected to be ready in two to three months. In the meantime he is sending the 8x firmware upgrade.

I felt good about the potential upgrade until I read the scary posting from Robert Morris about his experience with the upgrade firmware. Now I am wondering if it is safe to run the firmware. Customer Service did say that some people found the firmware upgrade instructions unclear and said I could call in and they would walk me through the upgrade procedure.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us