Does the Picture & Brightness affect bulb life?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 999
I've heard different advice on this one. With a JVC 52" D-ILA (mine) or DLP and LCD sets with bulbs, does it affect the bulb life by the level of brightness and picture. I have always had mine moderately set, but for the 2 hours a day where the sunset is beaming straight against the blinds, the picture really benefits by having the brightness and picture maxed in Dynamic mode.

So does leaving the brightness and picture on too high all or some of the time shorten the life of the bulb, or does the bulb maintain the same level of luminescense all the time, and the lifespan is only related to hours on?

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1008
no one knows?

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 473
From what I've read the lamp stays the same brightness... the light engine reduces the amount of light being transmitted.

http://www.research.philips.com/profile/people/researchers/uhp.html

http://www.ercservice.com/lamps/philips/PhilipsUHPLamps.html

Two things concern me...

1: Too much light entering the light engine "overloads it", meaning a certain amount of light bounces around inside it... mucking up the picture...

2: Two much light decreases the life span of the light engine... Light =Heat...

To me the BEST solution would be to have a two step lamp (or two lamp) set-up... One lamp VERY bright (like the stock D-ILA) for when you want to watch TV out in the front lawn on a sunny day (Just kidding but the stock lamp is putting out WAY too much light- Read on)... A second lamp (or the same lamp) being used for "low-light"... read that as watching tv at night.

Since that's not going to happen you either have to do a NDF mod (Netural Density Filter)...NDF= a "filter" that restricts the amount of light passing thru the filter (Think sunglasses)

The BEST place would be BEFORE the light engine... again to restrict the amount of total light being transmitted thru the light engine...

Newer D-ILA sets come with a "IRIS" that restricts light. I don't know if this is BEFORE, or AFTER the light engine.

To understand how TOO much light would affect the picture in a negative way look at how the light engine is set-up. I've posted pictures in the D-ILA thread if memory serves me correctly.

Basically the light engine has mirrors, surfaces light passes thru... when you have too much light passing thru it makes "dark" scenes "washing out, grayish black" looking.

If you like Sc-Fi, movie with dark scenes the D-ILA sets are not the one to buy.(unless they have a NDF, or they auto 3-step IRIS that the newer D-ILA are being shipped with.)

If you like "football", things with daytime scenes in them , Or like to pull the set out in the front yard to watch the game on a sunny day the 110 watt lamp work just fine.

D-ILA's need about a 40 watt lamp...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us