Archive through February 25, 2006

Username: Motu88

Post Number: 3
Model: HD-52G786

Posted Jan 24 that the picture was getting dimmer. I got the replacement bulb today. So 2-3 days after talking to customer service I got it via fed ex. Easy install and the picture is as bright as the day we got it before. I'm very happy with JVC customer service and they are really trying to please their customers. I just hope now the bulb won't go out for the full 2500 hours. We'll see. At least it came with a 1 year warranty so thats good.

Old bulb had no model number or serial number on it.
New bulb: TS-CL110U
Serial number: 06181490

buckethead
Unregistered guest
Billy Mc,

So the truth comes out. You're RENTING a TV. So, you are not even a customer of JVC, the rental company is. Think that might affect how things get done!? Your beef should be with the rental company not JVC. Good luck with your Mits but don't denegrate JVC because you're to financially challenged to actually be a direct customer of theirs.

buckethead
Unregistered guest
Billy Mc,

You lied too. Your bulb went on 1/13. You then posted on 1/19 that you've been calling for 13 days trying to get a bulb. Hmmmmm...in my world 19 - 13 is 6 days. And, frankly, I don't believe you called each and every day. In fact, I believe that you never took the time to finish a call. Or, if you were so frustrated, why didn't you contact them via email? Now you post today that it's been over 3 weeks. Over three weeks!? What kind of altered reality do you live in!? 2 weeks. And so far you are the ONLY person that I've seen that couldn't get a replacement bulb.

P. S. Does that Mits fit in your trailer?

Username: Sullydel

Wilmington, Delaware Usa

Post Number: 4
I love my hd56786 the pic is great i did have the bulb go after about 3 months repair was complete in about 8 days after i lost pic i hope this bulb last longer,

Bryan W - Missouri
Unregistered guest
I bought mine in Aug 2005 and it popped today. Same as everyone else says, it went dark. So I called and set an appointment. About 2 hrs later, in the middle of a DVD - pop, blinking lights. At least BestBuy is coming Monday, I bought the Extended service plan at BestBuy (lucked out, normally I don't buy those)and they have a lemon rule. If they have to come out four times I get a replacement.

suzi
Unregistered guest
you think you folks got problems??

I purchased an HD-70G886 in November 2005. We wanted to have it for Christmas and thought this would give us plenty of time to set everything up. My son was coming to visit and is a lifelong Lakers fan and they would be playing Christmas day. Wouldn't it be great to watch the game on a 70" tv?

It was delivered the Friday before Thanksgiving. I left town the next day and didn't get it set up until the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I had a couple of little glitches getting everything set up and when I called "technical support," they treated me as if I were an idiot. I've set up a few systems (computer, stereo, surround sound, etc.) and am fairly intelligent...did not appreciate the tone. I finally got everything squared away on my own. The picture was okay, not great. I then found out that our cable company will not be supplying HD reception for at least 2 years in our area (even though before purchasing it, the cable company told me we would be able to get HD in the beginning of 2006).

I know this is long, but bear with me...it gets better (or worse), depending on how you look at it.

We then decided to order DirectTV so we could watch something in HD. It was installed one week and one day (a Monday) after the TV was set up. We got to watch a couple of things in HD for a whole day.

Right in the middle of "My Name is Earl" (I know really stupid show, but so funny), the screen went blank. I checked the troubleshooting section of the manual and unplugged the TV for a while as instructed. When I plugged it back in, same problem. I watched the LEDs as instructed, which indicated the lamp needed to be replaced. I called JVC customer service the next day and they said, yes that was the problem...they would ship out a new lamp. The lamp arrived a week later. We replaced it, but in the meantime ordered another lamp to have as a backup, so we wouldn't have to wait a week when it went out again.

The lamp was not the problem. Now we move on to a certified service center. The closest one couln't even pick the tv up until after the holidays, so I asked JVC for another service center in our area. They were able to pick it up on December 17 at which time they brought ANOTHER lamp, even though I told them I had three perfectly good lamps here.

They took the TV into the shop, have ordered parts that haven't fixed the problem...are now waiting for more parts and forgive me, but I'm not very optimistic.

I have called JVC several times and when I have been able to talk to a real person after waiting long periods of time, they have been very rude and not at all helpful. One actually asked me how many times the unit had been fixed. I told her not even once. She informed me it would have to break down THREE times with the SAME PROBLEM before they would replace the unit.

I've also left messages that have not been returned.

I finally spoke to a supervisor a couple of days ago, who at least appeared to try to help, but had someone else call me back and tell me they were waiting for a parts order. After asking some pointed questions, I found out it was the order they had already received that hadn't fixed the problem,

Meanwhile, I'm paying for DirectTV that I can't use. Fortunately, I was not able to sell my good old 52" TV...and probably won't. As I told the supervisor, it's pretty bad when you spend this much money on a TV and feel you need to keep a backup.

So, now we've missed Christmas, the Rose Parade, Rose Bowl, football playoffs, and it's not looking too good for Superbowl.

Has anyone else had this much trouble with JVC?

I think they need to learn about FedEx overnight for their parts orders.

Unregistered guest
Well bought the TV 7/14/05, heard about all the bulb issues just assumed I got a good one and it would not happen to me, then bang. Right in the middle of the Texas/OU basketball game. The last time I checked the log it said around 1100 hours. Called JVC this morning Sunday at 9AM and they said a new one is on the way Fedex 2nd day. Not sure if it is BS or not the JVC rep told me that the replacement lamp is better and will last longer then the original one, we will have to see. How do people watch non HD, I feel like I have entered a 3rd world nation it is so archaic now on a normal digital flat screen. Scary that it is also the week before the Super Bowl so it could have been worse if ti were next Sunday...
JVC 52G886
Built June 2005
Bought July 2005
First Viewed July 2005
Blew first lamp January 28, 2006
Around 1100 hours watched.

kenl
Unregistered guest
Got a message to change the bulb.

How does the TV know to give me this message?

Had it for about a year got a light engine and ballast free, after much use prolly 10hrs average per day.

So how much does a bulb cost from JVC?

And I'm thinking - buy one - get in mail - call back in couple months and say it blew - send my current one back to them for an additional bulb, or 2 for the price of 1.

Username: Mr_k

Rochester, NY

On Jan 24 my HD52z575 come on with a dim picture which faded to black in about 5 minutes. Didn't think it could be the bulb as no warning message ever displayed. It is a Nov 2004 build that I bought Dec 2004. (13 months of use.) I have pulled and reinstalled the bulb. Pulled the plug from the UPS and plugged directly to the outlet with no result. When I turn it on there is a little whirring sound (hopefully that's the fan) then the two lights on the front (power and lamp) blink simultaneously. It appears that my lamp is blown too.
I am over the 12 month JVC warranty but fortunately I purchased a 4 year extended warranty. I called the warranty company on Jan 25 who faxed the authorization to a local repair shop.
On Jan 26 the repair shop called and said they couldn't get to me until Feb 3 but a repairman would call Jan 27 (that did not happen) to talk to me about it so they cold try to have correct parts with them when they show up on Feb 3.
What should I tell them, besides a new lamp? Does JVC have any idea why these are blowing so early; like a flawed ballast or some other misbehaving component?

I love my JVC.

Mr. K

kenl
Unregistered guest
Mr.K think the ballast was under recall item, did you check that on JVC site?

Rochester, NY

I found the circuit board problem on the JVC site but it is not for my specific serial number. Did not see anything else there about a ballast being recalled.

trsfa
Unregistered guest
I have a new JVC HD-52G786. After reading this thread I'm opting to buy a backup bulb. The best price I can find is on ebay. Any other places recommended to check for good prices?

mb300pereira
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info reg. lamp operating time. Mine showed 1 in the high byte and 134 in the low for a total of 390 hours, and i just called JVC for a replacement. TV is from last October.
Great timing a week before the game.
Had I known it was this bad, I would have gone for a plasma.

kenl
Unregistered guest
trsfa<---have a new JVC HD-52G786. After reading this thread I'm opting to buy a backup bulb. The best price I can find is on ebay. Any other places recommended to check for good prices?

How am i to know I'm not buying your old bulb from e-bay?

If so whats the price and where?

Guess this is JVCs way of getting some cost back on such a steal of a TV.

I mean you they give you alot for a little.

(3) chips and all.

Rochester, NY

Post Number: 5
My TV service repair guy is coming Feb 3rd, their office states they don't have a replacement bulb on hand but will come and look at it the be sure that is the problem. - DOH!

Sent an email Sunday to JVC stating the problem with the TV and when I came home from work on Monday evening there was no response.

So, missing my TV and with the Superbowl coming up I called JVC and the rep had me remove the lamp and told me what to look for to see if it is blown -- it is. He won't send me a free replacement bulb because the warranty is more then 30 days past the expiration (it's 37 days after the warranty expired). He was courteous and explanatory and I was expecting nothing without a warranty. I was disappointed as this forum had statements of getting replacement bulbs outside of the warranty and the literature claims it to be a 6,000 hour bulb life.

Now ready for bed I check emails one more time - "TA DA" - I have an email from JVC Customer Service. They are sending me a lamp at no charge to me. I quote "At this moment our manufacturer's warranty is expired, but it doesn't apply to the lamp." Nice!!!

P.S. kenl - my misunderstanding, I now know that the ballast and circuit board are one and the same. Still my exact serial number is not one of the affected sets. thanks anyway.

Bronze Member
Username: Bruceorlando

Orlando, Florida US of A

Post Number: 20
kenl,

I bought my spare lamp on the 'bay, and the best advice I can offer is to check the feedback and ratings of the seller. Personally, I'd be wary of any seller that either only had one type of bulb for sale -- or, if they were selling only one brand, they only had a qty. of one that they were selling.

bruce

Username: Cole2357

Post Number: 1
I just replaced my bulb. Bought the 52Z575 for xmas 2004 in December 2004. 200.00 for the bulb. Bulb never popped, I just got the message to replace. Before I changed the bulb, I started getting a green tint which corrected itself a couple of minutes after the set was turned on, if I change channels. This symptom has not gone away even after I replaced the bulb. Am I going to have replace the light engine or whatever it's called for 1500.00? I will be really mad if so. I love the picture on this tv, but my service issues began when I received the corrective action notice. I got the runaround from different local service reps and am only now, 6 mos later, getting the corrective done.Still getting a little bit of runaround on that. Can anyone tell me what's the deal with the green tint? I searched this thread but cou;dn't find anything specific to the green.
Thanks.

mb300pereira
Unregistered guest
I am getting a new bulb tomorrow, so the big game is safe.
I voiced my concern about the very short life of my first bulb, and she said I had gotten a bad bulb, and this one would be better.
Does anyone out there have had multiple failures of the lightbulb, or are the next batch better?

Bronze Member
Username: Likegrouch

Post Number: 27
From the posts here there is no "GOOD" batch of bulbs yet - we are all hoping that there will be one very soon. I am trying my last replacement and so far it is working from Nov 2005 (2 months).
It is heartning to know that email service sent out a bulb when phone service refused on the basis of warranty being expired - good precedent and the right thing for JVC to do. The phone people should be told to send out bulbs and not complain about warranty expiry if JVC wants to have repeat customers.

buckethead
Unregistered guest
Figures that Billy Mc would come in here and lie and then never show his face again. Remember people there are plenty out here with an axe to grind. Take all feedback with a grain of salt.

Username: Motu88

is there a way to check how many hours the bulb has been on? I know when you change bulbs you have to reset the lamp timer.

jimpont@thevine.net
Unregistered guest
I HAVE GOOD NEWS FOR ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAVE PURCHASED YOUR TV AT BEST BUY...../.IF YOU PURCHASED AN EXTENDED WAUR. FOR 4 YRS....WHICH IS WHAT I DID BACK IN JAN. 06.....IT IS WRITTEN IN THE CONTRACT THAT YOU HAVE (BACKED UP BY THE BEST BUY MANAGER IN SANTA CLARITA) THEY WILL REPLACE YOUR BULB EVERY TIME YOU CALL THEM.....NOW HERE COMES THE GOOD PART...../IN THE CONTRACT IT IS WRITTEN UNDER (LEMON CLAUSE) THAT ON THE 3RD CALL BEST BUY WILL REPLACE YOUR TV OR GIVE YOU CREDIT FOR IT AS LONG AS IT HAPPENS WITHIN 4 YEARS OF YOUR ORIGONAL PURCHASE........I LIKE THE DLP PRINCIPLE BEING A RETIRED ELECTRONIC ENG........I WOULD JUST PCK ANOTHER MAKER BEING CAREFULL TO RESERCH THE PROJECTION LAMP.....SO FAR SONY WOULD BE MY PICK.........THE NEXT TV SYSTEM THAT I PUCHASE WILL BE A MONITOR USING THE SED PRINCIPAL..THESE ARE NOT AVAILABLE IN THIS COUNTRY TILL ABOUT 2 YRS .....THEY ON THE JAPENESE MARKET NOW.... ONCE YOU SEE THIS SYSTEM OR BUY IT .....YOU WILL NOT NEED ANOTHER TV FOR A L O N G TIME IT USES ABOUT 10 VOLTS AC TO OPERATE WITH A COIL THAT WILL PUT A 10KW VOLTAGE ACROSS A PHOSPHERAS SCREEN...BE IT WILL BE THOUSANDS OF RED BLU GREEN LED,S THAT WILL NEVER BURN OUT THE QUALITY OF THE PIX IS 1600 TIMES BETTER THAN ANYTHING ON THE MARKET NOW...THIS SYSTEM WAS DEVELOPED BY A PARTNERSHIP TWEEN CANON & TOSHIBA........THE SCREEN SIZE HAS NO LIMITS.....LED,S DO NOT BURN OUT OR DRAW ANY HEAVY CURRENT......I CAN HRDLY WAIT I FIGURE 5 TO 6 YRS FOR THE SAME PRICE YOU PAID FOR YOUR SETS NOW.......GO TO WWW.CANON.COM/TECHNOLOGY/DISPLAY.......REGARDS FROM THE RETIRED TECHNICAL CONTROLLER RETIRED FROM MISSION CONTROL AT PASADENA SFOF FOR ALL PIONEER AN SUVEYER MISSIONS REGARDS JIM PONTIUS

Username: Nathan98329

Model HD52Z585 SN 11980*** AA purch 9-15-04 from Video Only in Tacoma WA.

Bulb went last night after being dim for several days.

I read in one of these forums that JVC was replacing the lamps out of warranty but when I called the best they would do was sell me a lamp for $199 plus shipping and handling.

The JVC rep ( who took the SN ) did not mention that the set was subject to a recall for circuit board replacement.

:-(

18 month of moderate use ( 1 to 4 hours a day ).

Username: Asusp5a

Here's my story so far:
Purchased a HD-55GC86 on 9-26-05 at Costco. Everything was fine until last Friday evening. Without warning, the display simply went out. The amber "Lamp/Program" LED on the front started flashing continuously at a quick rate. Tried unplugging TV for several hours, and then overnight. When I plugged it back in and hit the power switch, the blue "Power" light would come on, then the "Lamp/Program" LED would flash at a normal rate 2 or 3 times, but then the Power light would go out and the Lamp/Program LED would start flashing quickly again. Having heard about the lamp issues, that was my first thought. The manual states, not in these exact words, that there could be an internal problem. On this past Monday I got ahold of JVC via phone (15-20 minutes on hold) and told my story to a very pleasant cust. service rep. He Fedex'ed me a lamp. I installed it just awhile ago and the problem remains the same. HERE'S MY QUESTION: Can you use an ohm meter to determine if the lamp is bad (i.e. open)? I'd used my meter on the suspected bad lamp and got infinite resistance. Normally, this would mean that a lamp is bad. I checked the lamp that I installed today, after I learned that the problem was still present, and it shows an open too. The old lamp did not looked "burnt", nor does the second. I have not been able to find the answer on the web. Does anyone know? I may just take it back to Costco and get a different TV, as it's obvious that it won't be fixed by Sunday (Superbowl).

Username: Firedawg24

Post Number: 9
If you can return it, then go ahead, that way you won't miss the game. However I would trade it for another JVC, I still think the pic is superior. Good Luck

I am still waiting on the repairman...hopefully tomorrow.

Post Number: 2
Firedawg,

Taking it back tomorrow. I would like another JVC, but when I stopped by a Costco, there are several nearby, they didn't have any JVC sets. I will have to make trips to the other nearby Costco's before I make up my mind. I'm sure glad I bought it at Costco!

Still looking for an answer on verifying a lamp with an ohm meter. What resistance should a good one read? Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 598
A good one will read INFINITY!

It has something to do with that 1mm gap between the electrodes.

FYI,

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it has everything to do with the 1mm gap. ;)

Silver Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 104
If you haven't seen it, here is a link for a poll on lamp life;
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/195045.html

Michael Vidal
Unregistered guest
Obviously I didn't read ALL the posts above to see if there was a mention of this issue, but I skimmed through and didn't see anything. ANYWAY, does anyone else have a problem with their picture having a constant intense green tint to it? I have the HD-ILA HD52Z575 puchased 4/25/05. Maybe 300 hours of use, and I have this problem. Powering off then back on used to fix it, but not anymore. Checked all my settings and cable connections. Is this a bulb problem or light engine problem??? Any advice or info appreciated- Mike

Username: Palfonso

San Jose, CA USA

Thought I'd chime in...

Model: HD-52g886
SN: 11061227
Mfg: June-05
Purchased from: Buydig.com

Wow! I had this bulb problem and went searching for a replacement. I found this site and it blew me away...kind of like these lousy bulbs! I have less than 500 hours on my bulb. I called JVC and they stated the following:
They're going to have a rep call me sometime on (Super Bowl) Sunday. We'll see if that's true!
The bulb would be a warranty replacment. We'll see if that's true!
I specifically requested a TS-CL110Uaa replacement bulb as a result of someone else's post here...thank you for that info!

Previous posts showed how to find out the exact time on the bulb...converting a hexadecimal number. I can't find it anymore. Maybe someone could re-post or direct me to it.

I've been a JVC customer for 20+ years. Never have I heard of such consistant problems go unaddressed from the mfg.! JVC seriously needs to address this issue in a meaningful way or risk their position in the marketplace. Sony has a reputation for breaking the month following the expiration of the warranty...I will never EVER consider buying a Sony product of any kind. Is this what JVC wants???

JVC has a database of owners (via product registration). How easy would it be for JVC to contact them via snail or email to let their customers know they are addressing the issue and to please be patient? I understand poor engineering, assembly problems, warehouse abuse, and bad supplier batches. Sh*t happens, that's life. But to ignore it hoping it will go away is just bad business!

Took my JVC HD-55GC86 back to Costco and got a Toshiba 62" DLP 62HM15A. I love the bigger screen and life is good again. Bring on the game.

Username: Jimmarzano

Jersey City , NJ Usa

Bought the JVC HD-70G-886 on 5-17-05 great tv at first
Bright -no Glare in a room with a lot of windows.
Cooling Fan on the noisy-side.
Used for 1-2 hours per day only
360 total hours approximately
Bulb is near Dead and Today is Superbowl Sunday -
JVC must come-up with an Extended life bulb or they can take this set back - does anyone have bottom line approach to get this corrected for the long term. dont send me a bulb that is going to blow out in 6-8 months. that is just deferring the problem until it is out of warrantee. wonderfull they send you a new bulb 2nd day air. what happens next round!!!!

Username: Skybase

Kalispell, MT USA

Well, thought I'd posted this but I guess it didnt' go through?

Anyhow, despite what I'm reading here I am purchasing the JVC HD-52G886 tomorrow from work. I get a great discount and really this appears (other than this issue) to be the best TV for what I can afford.

I guess I'd better get registered on here, however, in case I do come across the same issues. Has anyone noticed any improvement in the newer stock of these TVs?

I do hope that if I DO run across these issues that it is resolved quickly as it appears it's been for most of you.

Wish that this TV displayed in 1020i at least, but guess again given all of the other features, that's not TERRIBLE?

I also know that this thread was designed for the purpose of gathering info on these bulb issues, but just to at least bring a LITTLE light to those of us newly aquiring this TV can anyone share any positive experiences with these TVs? Is it a total upset that you've purchased it or can you tell us some about what you LIKE about the TV?

Is it easy to change inputs? (say watching satellite vs. watching a DVD vs. playing a video game, etc?)

Okay, I'm finished rambling now. . this came out much better the first time around I think, but. . .heh. . .is strange.

kenl
Unregistered guest
Its a great TV Dave much better than that DLP scag.

Also has any one found the bulb cheaper yet?

Anonymous

Yea...that DLP scag that doesn't have a thread about 600 hour lamp failures.

Username: Bmccutcheon

Atlanta, Ga USA

Bucket head, you sir are a Moron. I have absolutely no Axe to grind with anyone, but I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed combatant. I Loved my JVC set and would have it back in my house in a minute if JVC could be trusted to stand by their product.

Example: Arron Rents is a major customer and supplier of JVC products. Just this past Saturday I went by the store that I had contracted to purchase my system. The general manager was absolutely fed up with JVC's regional response to this issue. He said that he has had numerous conversations with their reps without resolution to his customers bulb problems. He said that JVC's representatives have continuously told him that there is no systemic problems with the bulb. So just for S and G's I printed out this entire thread for him. I would love to be a fly on the wall this week when he Lay's an inch of end user complaints on his rep. If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough.... By the way my first contact with JVC was on the 12th of Dec 2005, as of today the unit is still unrepaired. Thats inexcusabily bad Customer Service.

I have several JVC products in my electronic arsenal. Up until now I have been pretty satiisfied with them as a company. I will however, be using other electronics manufactures after this experience.

Bill

kenl
Unregistered guest
I'd rather have a $200 bulb every year than to watch color wheels and pixelated mirror flashes.

Anonymous

I'd rather watch a spectacular DLP display than look at a $3000 paper weight.

buckethead
Unregistered guest
Billy Mc,

I'm the moron! LOL! Look at the way you write (random capital letters, etc.) and the fact that you don't earn enough to actually purchase your TV. Just a side note here, you do know that you are getting SCREWED when you rent to own, don't you? Oh wait, I forgot; you're a moron.

You are also a liar; plain and simple. You claim that your first contact with JVC was on December 12th!? Yet your post on JANUARY 13th states that your TV became darker the previous night at dinner (JANUARY 12TH). So, I choose to not believe you, period. You have no credibility.

Listen you trailer-dwelling, redneck, backwoods, appliance-renting, lying fool, if you truly had contacted JVC about your problem the way you said you did it would've been serviced by now. There is NO ONE out here that hasn't had their TV serviced within a reasonable time. Hell, I've had mine serviced and it has never been longer than a 10-day wait (and that was for a light engine replacement). JVC's customer service has been excellent with me. Of course, I know how to speak fluent english.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 450
"Anonymous",

In case you missed it "Mr. Anonymous" this thread is for OWNERS of the JVC D-ILA sets that are reporting problems.

The people here reporting problems have a sizable investment and I would bet your comments about DLP being better D-ILA, etc are not welcome by 99.9999% of the people that already own a D-ILA set.

You may not realize it, but most people are "locked" in on their purchase of the D-IlA for the duration and cannot just take the set back to swap it out for another mfg's set, or display type just because someone else (you) posts another type of display technology is "better". The only time someone could "swap" out a set would be in cases of say the same repair being done three times, and there is a "lemon" clause that could be exercised

Be a man and have some class about you and refrain from making further comments in this thread unless you have some "hard data" OR some internal contact persons (VIPs) inside JVC that may help us D-ILA owners to get JVC to honor the rated run time on the lamps/light engines/HDMI boards.

Hard data? For example say you own a shop repairing TV sets..... and you've repaired 10,000 D-ILA's over the past year for all the same problem, and you've repaired 100 DLP sets.... That would be useful...

If you want to debate the pro's and con's of DLP over D-ILA start a new thread along those lines instead of butting in here. This thread is not to debate the pro's /con's of which display is better than the other... it's to report "problems" on the JVC D-ILA series.

Notice the thread title,.. read it real slowly about a hundred times: "JVC D-ILA VERY Short Bulb life - report problems here".

Now, can you have some CLASS about you so we get this thread back on topic? The people here have invested thousands of dollars so please refrain from posting again unless you have useful info.. Imagine the shoe is on the other foot and your DLP was problematic and you and other DLP owners were talking about issues pertaining to your DLP and someone from another display type butted in saying your DLP was crap.

Username: Zr1

Please add me to the list of lamp failures.
First my information puchased 11-19-05 from bestbuy.Failure date 2-5-06.
Model#HD-56G786
S/N#13064xxx
I am estimating approx. 500 hours.
Once power is on stays on, No power cycling.
Lamp has no numbers or identification of any kind.
Had noticed picture was dimmer the last couple of days but had not thought much about it as I usually watch in theater pro mode. After reading all of the posts I see this was a sign of lamp failure pending.

Sunday Morning after the television had been on for approx. 2 hours a small pop the screen went black and the power lamps started flashing.Checked the owners manual.Removed lamp and glass inside.Gasp, is this warranty my luck probably not.How Much $$$$$$. Such a short time and probably big money.
Tried to call 800 number in manual and got system down due to weather related problems.
I went to JVC web site and made a case. Response at end was " A representative will contact you within five days."
Now checking on line for more bulbs other than JVC.com at $200.00. This is how I found this thread seems a lot of you found it this way.
Sunday afternoon around 2:30pm tried 800 number again and was on hold for 32min. then got dropped.
Called back and was on hold for another 28min. A very nice customer support rep. took my information and stated he would send information to service department. Lamp would be shipped monday 2nd day delivery.I am very pleased and at ease now. Was worried lamp was not a warranted item. At $200.00 and less than 3 months was thinking may have been a bad decision to buy. I would not be able to enjoy this wonderful video thinking about lamps blowing every 3 to 5 months or 500 hours and thats another $200.00.
Returned home today tuesday 2-7-06 hoping to find a lamp at the front door nothing there??? Instead found a message on the machine to call JVC at an 800 number different from the 800 number to cusomer support stating he needed more information.I gave customer support rep. all information requested on sunday.
Hope this is not a bad sign of no warranty lamps.
Maybe they have narrowed down some problem that needs a service tech. I will keep everyone posted as to my outcome. I am hoping all of us will be able to enjoy this television very soon without lamp failures.Keep up the good work.

Unregistered guest
Hi everyone, I found this thread by google searching "JVC HD-52G886 Brightness Problem"

It seems others are having the same problem with their JVC HD-ILA sets.

Last night I noticed my picture was unusually dim. I messed with the settings (even reset them and re-calibrated the picture with my home theater calibration dvd) and it still looked dim and washed out.

Today when I turned on my set it wouldn't go on! The lamp/program light just flashed. After unplugging/plugging the set it finally went on.

Looks like I'll be calling JVC at the crack of 9am tomorrow to get this dealt with. I had a feeling it was the bulb but thought that's impossible since my TV was bought in October 2005.

MrTesla
Unregistered guest
Add me to the failure list

BULBS ON BACKORDER AGAIN!!!!!!

Model HD-56G886
SN# 11063302
Purchased 10/23/05, failed 2/7/06-15 weeks.
Hours <600 @ <6/hr per day 2 to 3 on/offs per day.
1000VA UPS.

Classic "Dimming then Popping" phenomena.....

Contacted JVC....Bulbs on BACKORDER....asked how long-couldn't understand Indian dialect. Sounded like weeks. Same old "manager will call in 24 to 48." Wrong! I will call daily until I get some satisfaction (new bulb). BTW....they are available on the web at a place called alltvlamps or something for $240-JVC should buy their inventory and write it off.

When I purchased the set from Buydig...I got in on that TV(5yr)+Bulb(3yr, 2 Bulb)warranty from Mack Warranty for just over $200. Thank God; cause I bet that Light Engine is going to crap out a day after JVC's warranty expires.

I am in a quandry....Should I press JVC hard (politely) to get a lamp out here asap or get Mack to do it? Mack actually sends a tech (god only knows how qualified) to make the swap versus JVC "trusting" you to return the "blown" lamp. If I let Mack do it, with a Lamp also ordered from JVC, JVC will not get a lamp back-butI'll have a spare.

On a brighter note-it is the most beautiful 85lb paperweight...LOL...;)

A couple months ago I spoke to a Mgr @ JVC and they said each lamp has a 1 yr warranty so theoretically, if your lamp keeps blowing before 365 days, they'll replace them for eternity.

Any advice (pros and cons) on whether to go with JVC or Mack would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone...!

Anonymous

Mr. 69,

There you go trying to direct the actions of others again. Have some class, jerk. You're not a moderator. Read the post from "kenl". Read it real slowly...about a hundred times until it sinks into your fat narcissistic head.

"kenl" states:
"Its a great TV Dave much better than that DLP scag"

You quoted, "Imagine...someone from another display type butted in saying your DLP was crap."

Are you stupid or what?
You're so full of yourself that you missed his insult. Are you defending his behavior by flaming mine?

Where do you get off saying most people are stuck? Now, Bill has already swapped his out!
He wasn't stuck with it. Others have the ability to return theirs too. "kenl" was responding to Dave who has time to re-think his choice as well. Maybe it's you who is stuck, so, you thought you should ramble your crap!

This is an open forum, you ego tripping jerk.
I can pop in anywhere I like. I can write pretty much whatever I want. I didn't come in this thread to advocate DLP over LCOS, but I'll sure as hell defend it against blatant senseless insults from anyone. You would do yourself and everyone else a favor to mind your own business.

BTW, here is a post from "kenl" that shows what kind of guy he really is. A calculating thief!
Why don't you have a problem with that?
Take a hike, punk!

"kenl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 08:00 pm:

Got a message to change the bulb.

How does the TV know to give me this message?

Had it for about a year got a light engine and ballast free, after much use prolly 10hrs average per day.

So how much does a bulb cost from JVC?

And I'm thinking - buy one - get in mail - call back in couple months and say it blew - send my current one back to them for an additional bulb, or 2 for the price of 1."

kenl
Unregistered guest
Calculating thats me.

I don't know what you guys are fighting about, but we are talking TVs here not people.

Attack the TVs or the people that make them not each other.

Way I figure they owe us all 1 bulb until they get it right.

Hey, mine lasted 3500 hours but thats half what it stated, so I'm O.K. with taking another from them.

ps. Forgot again to mention that DLP is eye inflamming pixelator machines.

Unregistered guest
JVC told me they would replace the bulb for free via FedEx shipping.

A "Supervisor" is supposed to call me back and get my credit card number. Apparently they need the burned out bulb returned to them or they'll bill me for the replacement.

I called 3 hours ago and haven't heard from the supervisor yet.

Username: Fake_sinatra

Chicago

Model: HD-52G786
SN: 13084425
Manufactured August 2005
Purchase: Sept 14 2005
Failed: February 7 2006
Hours: Less than 600 with 3-4 on/off cycles per day

Plugged into a standard surge protector

Anonymous

has any one out there had a 2nd bulb go bad let us know

Username: Loki22

Post Number: 7
I own a JVC hd52z575, and had a light engine failure on 11/30/2005, it took until 1/16/2006 for an authorized JVC service center to replace the light engine.By the way I live in N.Y.C. which is a major market, so it seems that JVC doesn't always respond in a timely manner.

Username: Ntblood

Oh My Gosh!! I can't believe I had the 2nd bulb blow within 2 weeks of getting it replaced !!! What the Hell !?!?! I haven't used it much at all since then. Can Xbox 360's kill the lamps? I mean the Xbox dims after awhile of inactivity. purchased Sept.2 2005
JVC HD61Z886 (I've posted here before).

Username: Ntblood

The replacement lamp the blew was another
TS-CL110U but the repairman from JVC here in Japan told me it was a new model even without the AA at the end but maybe he didn't understand.

Chicago

The supervisor I spoke to on the phone said that the bulb manufacturer had studied the failed bulbs and had already made some modifications.

He said that none of the bulbs they've sent out since december have come back burned out yet. I assume those would be the "AA" models that everyone is talking about.

Of course, I take his word with a grain of salt but at least they know they have a severe problem on their hands.

Username: Phoeman

Add me to ever growing list of blown bulbs. I called JVC and explanded that the bulb was going out, that the picture was getting very dark. The tech was very rude and said until it was out there was nothing they would do. He said I shuold take the tv to service center. I explained that there was not a service center within 2 hours of my home and the set was only 4 months old, he said that was not their problem. Half hour after hanging up on this guy the bulb blows so I call back, get the very same tech and tell him my blubs out, no problem they will send me a replacement. Very unhappy with JVC, I bought this set knowing the bulb was going to have to be replaced after 6000 hours but I did not even get 900 hours. Yes they're replacing the bulb at no cost to me but I will be without tv for more than a week until it comes in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 452
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=601835#POST601835

Anonymous,

I can see why you post under the name Anonymous.

You make mention I'm trying to direct the actions of others...

Yea, I admit it, big deal.... I want people to post detailed info on the problems with the D-Ila sets so:

JVC will address the issues faster -I.E, problems are exposed, the more people that post detailed info the better. Say for example 500 people post saying they're having a problem. It would be hard for JVC, or the local vendor if you were looking to get the set swapped out for another manufacturer's set to deny there are any problems.

Say someone is having problems with their set, and is taking it back to the store and is going to swap it for say for example one of your super-duper DLP sets. Can't you see where it would be handy to have a printout of 500 people that have posted "detailed" info, listing the model, the mfg date, purchase date, amount of hours before the item required service /parts, and the serial number, or serial number range?

Let me ask you, say there are two people taking a set back to a store.

Person A has a printout as I described with detailed info. Person B has the same print-out, minus the detailed info....

Which person A, or B is more likely to have success in returning/swapping the set?

Along those same lines, Say you're trying to work out something with JVC to have a set swapped out.... Can't you see where this thread would be much more "useful" to anyone that is trying to do so if people were posting in the format I suggested?

Say it came to a legal battle....

If you were a attorney, You're looking at taking up the case...

Example A: You have a printout in front of you with 500 people that are reporting the same problem.... Those people have provided detailed info.... AND those 500 people have for the most part, unlike you.... Created an account, and via that account (PM, Or E-mails) the attorney can get in touch with a large percentage of them asking them if they'd like to push the case forward.

Example B: You have a printout in front of you without detailed info, and a bunch of persons posting, ya my set broke, JVc sucks ,etc... and most have not provided contact info. Allot of them posting as "" Anonymous".

Which case would you take if you were an attorney?

Username: Kobebear8

Yes I have posted before, they have been working on my HD 61z585 for about 3 weeks now, I guess the light engine went out. Every time I would turn the Tv on there would be no red color. They replaced the bulb already then 2 days later the red went out. My question is once they replace this 1500 dollar part should this tv be ready to go. Thanks for any help. ( tv is about 7 months old) This seems to be such a common problem should'nt there be a recall or something in that nature. Good day all

Chicago

My TV is entering its 3rd day of being "dimmed."

Hopefully the bulb will pop before the replacement arrives from JVC on monday.

I didn't want to wait for it to actually fail before ordering a replacement.

Username: Zr1

Update from 2-7-06
I did finally get in contact with JVC 2-8-06 around 10:15AM. Service Rep. very nice and understanding of my concerns. I also had to leave a credit card number to insure old lamp would be returned. I see BrianP also had to do this, also on 2-8-06. They must not be receiving enough old lamps back. Maybe some are trying to stockpile lamps?
Recieved new lamp 2-10-06. Via, FedEx 2Day
Installed lamp and everything wonderful again.
New lamp came in box printed TS-CL110U. UPC label attached to box was TS-CL110UAA. Lamp had label with decal marked TS-CL110U. Seems lamp would also show AA but doesn't ???
Questionnaire that came in box asked all the same information that was given to JVC numerous times with one extra question.
"Lamp has red sticker_____Yes_____No"
I have not seen this mentioned in this thread before. My old lamp or the new lamp neither have a red sticker. Has anyone heard of this?
One more interesting thing, Invoice that was in box showed unit price $199.00. Extension price is $162.00. Total price $162.00. Total Due $0.00 . I Will have to check and see if card has been charged for lamp. Was informed JVC must have old lamp within 2 weeks or card would be charged for new lamp.
If anyone has thoughts or knowledge of the sticker question or the price change, let us know.
Thanks again to all of you for the information. Keep up the good work. I will update as needed.

Chicago

My lamp blew out yesterday.

I'm glad I decided to tell them the little white lie that my lamp had blown out when it was actually just dimmed.

Oh well...without a TV this weekend at least I've gotten things done around the house for a change...

Bronze Member
Username: Croozer

Rockford, IL United States

Post Number: 14
My HD52G886 has a great picture, it would be a shame for JVC to drop the ball on these excellent TV's.

suzi
Unregistered guest
I last posted on Jan. 29, and still don't have my TV back. The authorized service center is waiting for a board, AGAIN - same board they already replaced that did not fix the problem. The service center requested a light engine, but JVC insisted they try the same board they just replaced and would not send the light engine. The order was placed on Jan. 26 and they have yet to receive the duplicate board.

I talked to a supervisor the end of January. I've called him back 3 times, and he is never there...nor does he return any calls. I've also discovered that he does not have the autonomy to replace the set.

Friday, when I tried to call him again (and again he was not there), I was told an HD Specialist who does have the authority to replace my TV, would call me on Saturday. The phone never rang.

Has anyone else here had these problems? If you have any solutions, please let me know. Three months of my warranty are gone, and I've watched the TV a total of 9 days.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Username: Highnoon

Stonington, CT USA

I bought a toshiba 46hm95 on 11/23/05 and on 2/12/06 the bulb burnt out, that would be approx. 600hrs of use. The bulb is suppose to last approx. 6000 to 8000hrs.
From what I have read on this sight, I think a class action suite could be filled under the lemon law.

I have also been calling JVC over and over. I was suppose to get a call from a boss within 24 hours it has been over 72 hours. I have asked this before, but does replacing the light engine fix pretty much everything. Since it is such a huge part of the TV. Find out tomorrow when I call them back again

Chicago

If the TV runs around $2000 and the light engine is a $1500 part, you gotta figure that pretty much everything that makes the TV work is in that one part.

RonC
Unregistered guest
An anomynous poster asked last week if anyone has had a replacement bulb fail. ANSWER: Yep!

My set's first bulb lasted 6 months. The replacement bulb --- 5 weeks.

I called in to JVC Customer Service this morning around 8AM. The CSR said a tech would call me back "around 10AM" -- hasn't happened yet at noon.

The replacement bulb was the -AA suffixed part according to the paperwork that came with it. The initial bulb's failure was to go dim for a couple of days before blowing completely. The replacement bulb blew after a couple of flickers in the hour preceeding death.

1: The mfg /model: JVC HD61Z786
2: Serial number of your set: 11083076
3: Date of mfg: May 2005 2005
4: Date of purchase: 07/02/05
5: Note hours run each day: 5-6 (weekdays) 10-12 (weekends)
6: Only one power on and one power off per day usually.
7: Plugged into a UPS - Yes
8: Waiting on replacement parts

Unregistered guest
I wish I had found this thread yesterday! If I had felt I was part of this fine group, I wouldn't have been so upset! Okay maybe I still would have but being part of a group helps right?!

Sitting last night watching the Olympics with the Mrs., sipping a glass of 2000 Merlot (yes, Merlot is great wine despite the depections of the movie "Sideways"!)

Just before Bodie Miller was to begin his final downhill run... BAM... no picture, just flashing lights to make the set look like a ambulance looking for a hospital to go to!

So much for a nice relaxing evening!

Called JVC today... they were willing to send a bulb out immediately... but wanted me to pull the bulb first. Did that tonight... Yep at the base of the filament are splinters of what was supposed to be a "6000 hour" bulb. The rep I talked to tonight said he is hearing from customers that call that the life seems to be two to five months!

If you used the TV 24 hours a day, at a stated life of 6000 hours, you should have 250 days of life... Something is definitely NOT right!

The best part is that I was told the bulbs are on backorder but it should ship VIA FEDEX 2 DAY in about a week. SO MUCH FOR THE OLYMPICS!!!!! URRRRRRRRR!

JVC HD61Z886
Date of mfg: March 2005
Date of purchase: May 2005
Hours run each day: Weekdays: 0-2 Weekends: 4-6
Plugged into UPS - No - but a high quality surge protector....

Should I consider a UPS?

By the way, my set has a noticable fan hum when its on!

Cheers and enjoy the Olympics! Let me know how we make out!!!!!

Username: Onlookerdelay

Rock Hill, SC USA

Quoting LookingforTruth:

"Should I consider a UPS?"

I don't own an HDTV yet, but I'm doing a lot of research to make a purchase decision. From the description of your bulb failure, it doesn't sound like a UPS would have prevented it. You didn't have a momentary power failure did you?

The advantage I see to a UPS is that it would allow you to have a controlled shutdown of your set *following* a power failure. This would allow your fan the chance to cool the bulb to ambient temps. As many power failures as we see in my neighborhood (~ 2/year), I think a UPS would be a must have. Problem is that I would have to be there to initiate the shutdown following the power outage. That's not always the case.

Unregistered guest
I registered an account yesterday and edited my profile. How long does it take to get an activation key so I can start using my registered user?

Any help is appreciated. I tried the contact page but it says the admin does't allow private messages.

tsduke

Unregistered guest
I read these postings yesterday after researching online about the darkness I was having with my JVC 52" tv which I had purchased in September of '05. After reading all of the postings I realized that my lamp was on its way out as well. When I got home and turned my tv on, it automatically shut down and the light started blinking. Today I called JVC and the customer service rep said I would receive a new bulb in 48 hours. I asked him if the new bulbs had a year warranty on them specifically and he said "no." Once the year warranty on the tv expires, nothing else is covered and a new bulb from then on will cost $189. He advised me to call Satisfusion 877-349-3748 to set up an extended warranty for my tv when the manufacturer's warranty expired. It almost seemed that he was warninig me of future problems. I called HHGreg, were I had purchased the tv and the manager told me that they were having the same problems with their floor models. SO, they knew of the problem before they had even sold it to me which made me even more irritated about the situtation. The customer service rep at JVC said that my bulb must have went out prematurely because they're supposed to last 6,000 hours or roughly a year he said. At 6 hours a day for 4.5 months is roughly 890 hours. That's being generous. I'm just very disappointed to say the least.

HD-526886
serial #13089875
Built in August of '05

Username: Tsduke

I've owned the HD-G786 for about 10 days now and I'm quite happy with it so far.

Reading these threads doesn't give me a warm and fuzzing feeling though. I'm a little concerned about keeping the TV now. It seems there are more problems with the Z's then G's, but that may be that the G's haven't been around long enough.

serial number is 150.....
Built October of '05

Sorry - that's HD-52G786.

I just got off the phone with satisfusion, the company that JVC partners with on extended warranties.

The rep said the plan covers lamps, but mention that it's not in writing in the plan. Said they got an email telling them that they are covered.

Anyone know this to be true?

Silver Member

Post Number: 455
todd,

1: Keep in mind whatever said here is hearsay...

2: Don't believe a rep telling you they got an e-mail saying they were covered...

3: You need to have them send you a copy of the policy in writing.

Keep in mind most "reps" at places that may sell extended warranties (or whatever) may get a percentage of everyone they sign up. At some places keeping their job may be based on how many people they sign up each day.

On the hearsay comment mentioned above I could for example say , Yes, they cover lamps and everything.... and they not.

If it's not in writing don't count on getting whomever you chose to honor a claim 12 months and a day from now when you are offically out of the orginal JVC warranty.

On more thing, there are other companies that provide EW's. Keep in mind the EW co is not the one doing the repair, it will be a local shop. Don't think by buying the warranty thru one of JVC partner companies that you will get any better quality of repair.

Also keep in mind most extended warranties have to be purchased within 30 day of date of purchase. I think I've only run accross one company that allowed you to buy anytime during the mfg's orginial warranty period... Problem with that company was I think they were going bankrupt.

Must have had too many customers with JVC D-ILA's... :-)

WeAreNotAlone69 ,

Satisfusion, will sell the warranty until mfg's warranty is up. I'm not about to take word of their rep on the phone.

I didn't buy the EW when I purchased the TV because I wanted to research EW options. Satosfusion happened to be one of them.

I didn't care for the lack of "guarentee in writing" from Satisfusion. I ended up going with the BB plan. It states in writing that they will replace one lamp during the warranty. One lamp isn't great, but better than nothing. I'm not buying the EW for the lamps anyway, more for other major problems that may arise.

Unregistered guest
Model: 52G886
Serial: 11080014 AA
Purchased: 10/20/05
Failed: 02/12/06 (less than 4 Months)
Called JVC: 02/13/06
I explained to the Rep what that my bulb was broken after going threw the troubleshooting check list and found my bulb broken. He asked for the Model# and Serial# and then said, Oh yes, that part was made by a third party and is defective. I will have one sent out by UPS 2nd day. I am home waiting for it now today and just checked my messages on my phone from last night and found a message from J.R. (800) 858-6442 ext 6006 saying that he was sorry because he was out of town on an emergency and to call back. I called back that number and it was a 30 min nightmare. I called the number in the Users Guide and talked to a rep that said she had seen that he called me and that she and that she would give him my message. I literally BLEW UP on the phone and she said that she would have him call me back today... I will post the outcome of this when it is resolved.

Username: Onlookerdelay

Rock Hill, SC USA

Post Number: 8
jeffod63, I'd be hotter than a cowboy's pistol on the 4th of July if I had been treated that way. JVC's customer support is one of the most inconsistent, poorly run operations I've seen. Sounds like a fly-by-night operation, not an international coorperation. I'm anxious to hear how this plays out.

Well I got my Tv back today picture was great and everything, when I went to use the HDMI plug there was nothing but a GREEN screen. We checked all the setting everything was right. So now they took the Tv back again and I will have to wait the weekend to get it back. This is three times in about a month what do these guys get paid for you would think they would check everything, since i have called them every other day checking and complaining about the tv. I forgot how good it looks when it is working. See ya

Scott,

Why aren't they working on your TV in home? The warreny clearly states "Color televisions with a screen size of 27" or greater qualify for in-home service."

I've also heard that it's normal for the HDMI to need resetting after such repair. The service shop should know this.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Steve,

Todd is right. All that you have to do is reset the HDMI port. It is a normal step after the back of the TV has been off. You can do it via the service menu.

Rachel Spr
Unregistered guest
Michael vidal/ read my posting from jan 23, 2006// Suzi, you might read too..

Latest update, Today is 17, Feb 2006 and I just received my HD-ILA HD52Z575 back. You know, the one that went out 3 days Before Thanksgiving.. After Hundreds of more phone calls to JVC there was still no reponse. Oh sure all JVC reps were very nice but that does not fix the problems adn of course no one ever calls back as promised. My husband and I finally had enough adn on Jan 12th or so we hauled that 52" on a 45 minute drive back to Best Buy. We explained the situation to them adn they apologised and said they would consider this our official third attempt at repair and they would sent the TV to a JVC service center for repair. they would not get the TV back for another month. What's another month, already waited since Nov to no avail right. Well like I said , received TV back today adn it looks great// accourding to them, (Best Buy) there were three different parts that had to be replaced (over $1000) which included the light engine, I believe a bulb and not sure what the third thing was. My advise to anyone calling JVC, ... DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH! Take it back to the Store where purchased and make them handle it. They are the one's who took your $ . Oh, and the repair company (sent by JVC) called just 2 days ago asking if JVC had given us our $ back and when advsd no they said they would be out next week to repair out TV! HA!!! Hope every one has better Luck and a shorter time of getting there problems resolved.

Springer
Unregistered guest
Michael vidal/ read my posting from jan 23, 2006// Suzi, you might read too..

Latest update, Today is 17, Feb 2006 and I just received my HD-ILA HD52Z575 back. You know, the one that went out 3 days Before Thanksgiving.. After Hundreds of more phone calls to JVC there was still no reponse. Oh sure all JVC reps were very nice but that does not fix the problems adn of course no one ever calls back as promised. My husband and I finally had enough adn on Jan 12th or so we hauled that 52" on a 45 minute drive back to Best Buy. We explained the situation to them adn they apologised and said they would consider this our official third attempt at repair and they would sent the TV to a JVC service center for repair. they would not get the TV back for another month. What's another month, already waited since Nov to no avail right. Well like I said , received TV back today adn it looks great// accourding to them, (Best Buy) there were three different parts that had to be replaced (over $1000) which included the light engine, I believe a bulb and not sure what the third thing was. My advise to anyone calling JVC, ... DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH! Take it back to the Store where purchased and make them handle it. They are the one's who took your $ . Oh, and the repair company (sent by JVC) called just 2 days ago asking if JVC had given us our $ back and when advsd no they said they would be out next week to repair out TV! HA!!! Hope every one has better Luck and a shorter time of getting there problems resolved.

Post Number: 6
Yea it is too late now picked uo the Tv that night have it home, and it looks great, ( But for how long. Good luck all thanks for your help

NotSoBad
Unregistered guest
I thought I had it bad. My bulb warning came on two days ago. I went to JVC website & ordered new one ($199 + tax & shipping). Contrary to what WeAreNotAlone69 states I was able to check the bulb hours on my HD52Z575 by following a link on this board. I got a little over 5000 hours in 18 months out of it. I guess thats better than a lot of people on this site, but I'm missing the good old days when you bought a TV and just used it for 10 or more years then threw it away. My 35" Toshiba lasted for 12 years, when the picture turned all red I threw it away.
Having a replacement bulb on hand is ridicules(Yeah I have a spare tire in my car, but I've never had to use it). What if the next part that fails is the $1500 one and I decide to cut my losses & get rid of the piece of crap. I don't want to buy extra parts from a company that already screwed me. Besides I'm so rich I actually have other TV's and I just might be able to continue living without the JVC.
BTW tvshopper, I realize you are retarded but do you know what state you live in which the warrenty starts on the day you put the bulb in service? you are so full of crap your eyes are brown! You sound like some Idiot who's daddy works at JVC & get your feelings hurt when someone puts down their products.
Hurry up a write something stupid, Anonymous is catching up to you for being biggest Bunhole on the site.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 835
"Oh My Gosh!! I can't believe I had the 2nd bulb blow within 2 weeks of getting it replaced !!! What the Hell !?!?! I haven't used it much at all since then. Can Xbox 360's kill the lamps? I mean the Xbox dims after awhile of inactivity. purchased Sept.2 2005
JVC HD61Z886 (I've posted here before). "

I remember reading a post about certain tvs having the wrong balast installed, (the balast is what the lamp plugs into) I'd get that checked out, I can't think of any other reason this would happen except leaving the set on for more than 24 hrs at a time, which the manual says should not be done.

...or it was just a bad bulb

Username: Damon101

South Bend, IN USA

Hey We are not alone 69,

You said
"More than likely it's just a bad lamp. If you have to have them come out for a service call have them check the ballast for proper output and/or replace the ballast.

One last thing...if they come out on a service call.

1: Be there to "watch" them.
2: Don't let them "take" the set in for service..."

WHY???
Why "watch them" ? Do you think the tech is going to remove parts and sell them on the black market? Maybe not install the parts? How can your TV get fixed without installing parts?

Why won't you let them "take the set in for service"?
The field tech has limited time in your home to repair your TV, and has other customers scheduled at specific time periods. Also the shop has equipment that the field tech doesn't, like oscilloscopes, Video generators, JVC support thru the internet, schematics etc....it's a very efficient system for bench technicians, but not built (yet) for field techs.
Just because a TV has "In home" service does not mean that the TV will ONLY be serviced "IN HOME"...it gets you a qualified technician to make the decision as to whether or not the TV requires service at the shop or not!!

And if you REFUSE TO ALLOW THE TV TO BE REMOVED FROM THE HOME FOR SERVICING, the company can close the Work Order, and label the job as "completed". That means YOU HAVE TO START OVER, and most likely will end up with another JVC service center starting over and telling you it needs to be taken into shop....how many JVC ASC's you have in your area?

If your intention is to get a replacement TV, JVC has the right to have an ASC pull it into shop for further study, if you refuse, then they are done with it.

BTW, I service them as an ASC. I've had customers like you, and this was the RESULT, so it comes from EXPERIENCE!
You really shouldn't make these suggestions to others, it impedes the repair time.

Username: Damon101

South Bend, IN USA

Todd Dukeshier Wrote:

Scott,

Why aren't they working on your TV in home? The warreny clearly states "Color televisions with a screen size of 27" or greater qualify for in-home service."

I've also heard that it's normal for the HDMI to need resetting after such repair. The service shop should know this.
----------------------------------------------
First, as I have stated before, IN HOME SERVICE does not mean it will be done IN HOME...it means a technician will come to your home, and make the decision as to whether it needs to go to the shop to repair it. Take a REAL CLOSE LOOK at the details of the warranty REGARDING In Home service. Most manufacturers will clearly state what I just posted.

As for the "the service shop should know this" part, if this is the first model that the shop has seen, most likely the shop is unaware of it.

Consider the fact that most shops will have 4 to 12 different BRANDS they service, along with the fact that each year ONE BRAND may sell 4 to 10 different models EACH YEAR, then you should be able to understand that's a lot of information a tech has to acquire....mostly thru experience.

Now JVC doesn't provide training like SONY does, nor does it provide training like MITSUBISHI does. And service and support on most manufacturers will NEVER be as good as SONY OR MITSUBISHI. NOBODY can hold a candle to those 2!
But they're a pretty good company.....

Post Number: 7
Damon101

I would like to point out that the HDMI reset that Steve needed should NEVER require the set to be hauled into the shop. A qualified field tech should be able to do this in the home.

Anonymous

Damon101,

When a person buys an in-home service contract it should be just that! They don't haul my refrigerator or central air in for repair. These guys who are hi-jacking the sets for bench service are rip off artists who inflate the repairs and leave the customer stranded for weeks at a time only to return the set with the same problem or another problem due to their complete incompetence. You might not be one of these, but this forum is full of stories about them. I say to hell with your take on bench service. Gather your appropriate test equipment and do the job in the home or recommend to JVC that they replace the set.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Gotta love the ad hominem attacks! Feel better now NSB?

P. S. By the way, thank you for the valuable input.

NotSoBad
Unregistered guest
I've read a lot of threads & didn't notice anybody mention getting an on-screen message telling them to replace the bulb. In addition to my picture getting darker, I also got an on-screen notice.
I got the first message Sunday second message today,(Tuesday)
I ordered new bulb from JVC Monday nite, got the confirmation e-mail today and according to Fed-Ex website tracking, my bulb should be here Thursday.
I know some people are delighted with JVC service, but I prefer products that spare me of the opportunity to see how well the sevice department handles complaints.

tvshopper: I'm glad you appreciated my valuable input, now my life has meaning. Hey, you were able to work in your latin phrase again, you must really be happy. You love dishing it out but you cry like a chick when your getting it back.
What state do you live in that has the law stating the warrenty on the bulb starts upon installation? You gripe about other peoples assumptions and lack of facts, please tell us, as a goodwill measure and to establish your credibility, which state has that law. If you can do that I guess I owe you an apology.

A quote from a book I'm assuming you never read:

"Why do you see the splinter in the other person's eye and never notice the plank in your own eye?"

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
NSB,

Wow! You read books!? I just assumed from your horrible english and board-bully-speak that you were nothing but a troll. Judging from the time of your post you must be a troll.

Establish my credibility!? With whom, you!? I'll tell you what, you show me your JD and we'll discuss warranty law both federal and state-specific. I don't need to establish my credibility with anyone, especially you. I've owned a JVC since mid-2004 and have been posting on this site with this nic ever since. You show up and start the flaming.

Now, go away little boy. No, I'm sure you won't. I'm sure that I'll have more drivel and personal attacks from you to look foward to. However, I will tell you that I am done with you. I will point out that it is you that attacked me for absolutley no reason whatsoever. I'm sure that you get some sort of perverse pleasure out of that. That's just plain pitiful.

NotSoBad
Unregistered guest
tvshopper
I don't know what a JD is (probably a nickname for part of my anatomy in your social circle). But, of course, as I expected, you are incapable of giving an example of a state that has the warranty that starts when the bulb is installed. You sling about a bunch of crap and provide no worthwhile information. As I was reading through the post, every time I read a stupid one, you username was attached. I know, in your tiny mind, I picked a wonderful person, like you, and started flaming because I was jealous of how smart you are.
I pity you, obviously you have a handicap that causes abnormal brain function.
You're through with me? I know that's not true, your poisoned brain will not allow you to stop responding to me until you get in the last word, which I'm sure won't be the name of the state with the law you spoke of.
Talk about a troll, how many post have you made to this board? When my TV is working, I can't imagine that I would continue to monitor/post on this board. I'll probably check back next time that my bulb burns out and you'll still be here.
I will not address you any further, I have already shamed myself enough by reducing myself to your level, so you can go ahead and get in your attacks and feel like a real smart feller.
I apologize to the non-idiots on this board for my getting caught-up in this asinine exchange with this fool, I assure it won't happen again.

Post Number: 8
I got a suggestion.

Why don't we all keep to the topic of the thread?

Silver Member

Post Number: 456
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=618153#POST618153

Damon101,

I agree in some cases taking the set into the shop is needed, and I understand that it is much "easier" for the tech to work on the set in a fully equipped shop.

On "watching" them while they "attempt" or do a repair... I'm not saying they are going to sell the parts on the black market, I'm just saying "allot" of so called techs (parts replacers for the most part) don't follow procedure and in alot of cases a trip to the shop may not be needed.

Last set I had "taken" in for service took 8 or 9 months to get a working tv and probally 100+ hours of my time. (link is somewhere above)

It was only AFTER having one of their so-called "techs' come out on a comeback call in which I was there that I "caught" the so-called tech in a lie.

That being said not all shops /techs aren't going to do the same. Most shops and techs are honest.

One of the main problems I see with getting a good repair done these days is the number of new models being released... By the time a "tech" has learned what "problems" a certain model may have, and more importantly work out a "fix" to address those problems, that model has been phased out, a new model is released and the cycle starts over again.

BTW... I used to be a tech... not a "parts" replacer.... our policy was to prove the parts to be replaced indeed needed replacing. After fiquring out what needed fixing, I would repair sub-assemblies, fix what was needed instead of replacing a $1,000 part, giving the customer the option to pick the repair, or replacement.

Hey, here's an idea since you're on the "inside"...

How about providing ALL of us here with some "JVC training doc's, TSB's, etc " on the D-ILA sets?

Anonymous

jvc hd56g786 bought 9/06
any one had 2 bulb go i had my bulb replaced 12/15/05 tv looks like it's getting dark again this is bs how does jvc handle 2 bulb replacement and do i have to wait for the repair shop to replace again last time it took 3 weeks i see that jvc maild the bulbs out to some posters how do i go about having them mail the bulb to me any input would be great . pic when it works is great i love the tv but i can't keep going through this when will jvc stop replacing the bulbs and replace the tv any one know.

Silver Member

Post Number: 457
Anonymous,

Since you bought the set 9/2005, replaced the lamp 12/15/2005... and now it's getting dark again you need to post as much detailed info as possible.

That is going to be the only way to get JVC to honor the rated run time, address this issue.... Unless you want this issue swept under the rug so to speak and want to bear the cost of future repairs.

POST DETAILED INFO ON YOUR SET(s)...
(Note not all sections may apply to you:-)

Please note that if you post as "Anonymous", or as a "Unregistered guest", without a way for you to be contacted your info is UNVERIFIABLE and is pretty much meaningless. Ditto on making a post without serial numbers,/ and or serial number range, and/or the info asked for below.

(Most of the questions are REAL easy... the model number, etc are on a label on the back of the set.)

2: Serial number /serial number range
3: Date of mfg
4: Date of purchase
5: Note symptoms in DETAIL
6: Note hours run each day.
7: Note the amount time you keep the set powered UP once it is turned ON. (In other words you're not turning OFF and back on every time a commercial comes on.)
8: Note estimated TOTAL amount of run time.
9: Note if set in plugged into a UPS -to not only FILTER incoming power, but to PROTECT set from BROWN-OUT conditions (low voltage)
10: If you have to replace the lamp, or have replaced multiple lamps please note any differences between the old, and new lamp. D-ila lamps should be a Toshiba mfg'd TS-CL110U or TS-CL110Uaa. Please also note if you had a service call if they replaced the BALLAST that controls the lamp, or the cooling fans.
11: Note part numbers of replaced parts if known.
12: Please make a brief statement, stating how long you expect a tv to last. How many years it should last before needing repair.

13: Lastly, if you're posting as "Anonymous", or as a "Unregistered guest".. take about 2 minutes to CREATE an account with a "good" e-mail address that you can be reached at if these issues are not addressed by JVC and some kind of lawsuit is needed to make them honor the rated run time.

Posting details like the above not only will "help" JVC address the problem(s)... but it will make it ALLOT harder for them to "wiggle" out of ANY claims, and/or LAWSUITS, or RECALLS that may come about if these issues are NOT fixed. It will also "help" in cases in which someone is officially beyond the 1 year warranty, and repairs are needed.. All this info helps to prove that there is some kind of design flaw that would warrant a recall OR replacement of the set with a updated model.

Detailed info will go a long ways towards getting JVC, the vendors of the parts to HONOR the RATED run time of the components /parts.

Username: Bcvader

Castlegar, British Colu... Canada

Just for reference...
I am on my 3rd bulb. First one lasted 42 days, second lasted 6 months...was an AA "so called upgrade" Third is identical to the 2nd except for the serial number..it's also an "AA". There is no upgrade to this bulb.. Just a story to keep the customers happy. We are all going to be watching a fishtank soon. A little silicone is all we'll need. JVC bought 10,0000 of these stupid lamps last fall and we will see nothing for a new updated one as long as there are parts available. Any one ever ponder why we are sending the old lamps back? IMO they are using them to have their supplier do warranty. Hence we will never be happy. About March 2007 we will be told no more warranty, if not sooner.
By the way... why the heck would I buy a spare engine for my car to carry around in the trunk incase the original blew up? The problem is with JVC and it is their responsibility to care for the consumer not the consumer to care for the company.. If they fail with these tv's then their market share will plummet like a wing shot dove.

Anonymous

Is there a good place to learn about lamp life performance or at least hear warnings about which manufacturers are more prone to these problems?

I'm shopping around, and this thread has made me very wary of purchasing JVC. Doing a search for 'jvc lamp life' on google brought me here, and for other brands nothing similar comes up in the first few pages of results.

It would be nice to know a good brand that not only stands by their product with good customer service consistantly (from this thread it sounds like while JVC is capable and frequently does do stellar support above and beyond their obligation, people sometimes end up having fairly bad experiences), but also has a product that won't evoke so much frustration on the part of the consumer.

I thought it was bad that a CRT direct view TV I bought 5 years ago just started losing its green, looks like the high end TVs are going to get me acclimated to a whole different level of expectation...

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Anon,

There are many of us that own JVCs, some for quite a long time, that have not had a bulb blow. I'm not sure that there has ever been a definitive reason that explains why some are having such problems and some aren't. I suspect that a few of factors are at play; bad bulbs, bad ballasts and improper treatment by some owners (i.e. improper cool down, multiple short-term runs, multiple power cycles). I've owned two JVCs. The first one had its original bulb that was a year old when I got rid of it. The new bulb is about 5 months old and it is fine. We use our TV heavily (at least 5 hours a day, average 6 or 7).

I don't know that JVC is any worse than any other manufacturer and you have to keep in mind that people that post to boards about this represent a fraction of the owners out there. I'm not saying to buy the JVC, I'm just suggesting that you can't let the posts out here scare you away from a TV that, in my opinion, blows away the competition.

Good luck and have fun shopping.

Silver Member

Post Number: 458
Anonymous

First of all note that other mfg's are having similar problems with "lamps" and production , quality control issues, it's not just a JVC thing.

You asked about where to find info, The thing is, until a set has been out for a while, you're not going to "find" info on all these issues... A new model has no track record.

Since you're in the market for a new tv, How about you take a few minutes and contact JVC and ask them how they are going to address these issues for EARLY ADOPTERS of these D-ILA based sets. It would behoove you and anyone else in the market in the long term to take a few minutes to express your concerns.

Until the "masses" become aware of these issues, most mfg's aren't going to get "after" their suppliers... Yes while the set is under warranty you're "ok", but once the set is out of warranty us early adopters are going to be bearing the costs. For those with extended warranties, don't think your "safe", because at some point the EW warranty people will deny claims for items such as lamps if they are losing too much money on claims.

Why is it important that people contact JVC directly that are in the market for a new tv?. Simple: It will help them "wake-up" to the fact they are LOSING potential customers. For us that already own a JVC D-ILA base product, we don't have much "pull", since JVC already has our money.

Most people (like myself) would expect a 2005-2006 model using the accumulated knowledge gained during the manufacture of electronics of previous models to have it last LONGER than a product manufactured several years ago. Most people expect a tv to work, and last for a few years, regardless of how cutting edge it may be. The truth be known, I cringe everytime I turn on my D-ILA, expecting either a lamp or light engine problem. Reading all these posts of people having problems, and seeing "dead" /returned, or sets on display at my local vendors that have "problems" does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the my set.

I think that JVC should issue a statement in which they acknowledge that anyone that purchases a JVC D-ILA based product will be taken care of. What they should do is to extend the warranty for non-commercial use to 3 years for the lamp, 5 years (or lifetime) on the light engine.... That would be the right thing to do for us early adopters of the product. If they won't that right there says there IS a problem with these sets. If you're making a good product, you shouldn't have that many warranty claims anyhow. I would think that the increased sales from both potential and repeat buyers would far outweigh the costs to do so.

For those that say 3 years would be too much on the lamp, 2,000 hours a year, x 3 years = 6,000 hours. For those that say 3 years is too much, that they need to go by the amount of run time, that could be addressed by a timer on the lamp, lamp goes out before 6,000 hours it's replaced free, over 6,000 hours customer pays.

On the light engine, JVC states it is constructed out of in-organic materials that don't have the potential to break down like "competing" sets that use organic materials.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us