HDTV resolution

Username: Rlschneck

Post Number: 2
Hello experts,

I am a huge fan of HDTV's and have been drueling over them at Best Buy for a long time. My current favorite is the Samsung DLP. I would like some definitive explanations of the different resolutions and formats. I'm not even sure what exactly to ask, but I will start with a specific question, and please fell free to elaborate and go off on as many tangents as you like! The Samsung DLP is listed as 1280x720 resolution, and it also says that everything is converted to 720p (what is the p?) format. But, the Best Buy guy told me that the tv is also capable of 1280i. I don't really understand the difference, and when I see something like #x# I assume that it is dimensions, i.e. the tv has 1280 pixels width-wise and 720 pixels height-wise. All I know for certain is that the bigger the number the better the resolution, and that regular tv is 480i (what is the i?), and that the most common hdtv format is 1080i.

PLEASE HELP!
Thank you!

na
Unregistered guest
Thats why you never go to best buy, they dont train. the idiot that told you it could do 1280p should be fired. 1080i is all that is out and 1080p is the only thing on the horizon. 1280x720 is 1080i. the -i- in 480i-1080i... stands for interlaced. the p stands for progressive. Its just how they produce the picture, interlaced paints everyother line progressive does every line consecutively. some stations like ESPNHD use 720p as their HD signal because it does better for fast moving objects like sports. Movies however look better in 1080i because there are not constant quick movements. Now since the Samsung DLP uses DCDi it has the ability to up convert, but you really wont notice it. For example an old movie on dvd (ie:caddyshack) that is running 480p looks really bad compared to a new movie running 480p. the reason being the original resolution is not there in the old movie it upconverted but still looks like crap. be careful when using the component inputs on the back. some can only display 480i/480p. while the others can do 480p,540p,720p,1080i, but not 480i (this is specific only the samsungs). this can be a problem if you use cable to recieve HD. The box would have to be connected twice or adjusted (this depends on you cable company or cable box) since standard def. is 480i and HD is 720p-1080i. Also make sure you see the DLP on an analog broadcast it has a tendancy to look worse then some LCD projection (hitachi 50v500). That and is dark levels can be to dark, not showing all of the pictures backgrounds. In short go to Circuit City, Tweeter, The Big Screen Store, anywhere else that trains there employees about technology extensively.

Stuepfnick
Unregistered guest
Isn't this crap??

I everywhere heard the number tells the lines only, so 720i is 1280x720 interlaced.. and 1080i should be something like 1920x1080 interlaced... how about that? Also 480i or p is 720x480...

hdtv fan
Unregistered guest
Not understanding your question/statement "Isn't this crap??"
There are only two hi def formats that are broadcast. 720p which is 1280x720 progressive (ex. ABC) and 1080i which is 1920x1080 interlaced (ex. NBC). The display will convert these to its native resolution. For example, the DLP will convert all broadcast formats (480i/p,720p,and 1080i) to 720p. Now, a CRT based tv can convert to multiple formats because it uses scanning lines instead of fixed pixels like the DLP. So a CRT can display 480i/p,540p,720p(in more expensive units), and 1080i. The CRT sets you see in BB or CC will convert the incoming broadcast to display hi def in 1080i. To the average person, 720p and 1080i look the same and both look incredible. A dvd's format is 720x480 but the correct way to state the horizontal resolution is not 720 but 540. Why? Horizontal resolution is the number of pixels across an area equal to the picture height so that widescreen displays do not have an unfair advantage over regular 4:3 displays.

Bronze Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 60
To my eye, 1080i and 720p are similar in appearance, but is one format better suited for a particular source over the other?
For instance, is 720p better for sporting events, concerts, etc., and 1080i more suited for movies and such? I've read this somewhere, but don't know if it makes a hell of a difference.
Also, are patterns viewed differently in different formats? If an actor is wearing a shirt that has a very thin black and white striped pattern, will it show the 'distorted' effect in both formats? Maybe it's because source was not filmed in high def. Maybe I'm getting too technical, but these are some of the 'myths' I've heard recently. Any ideas?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
720p vs 1080i explained below:

http://www.alvyray.com/DigitalTV/Naming_Proposal.htm

Enjoy,

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 132
an "expert" said a TV that displays 720p
natively, the picture runs smoother. Check
out 1080p also. But no one broadcasts in 1080p.

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 84
" I don't really understand the difference..."

In the context from which you speak - from a noob's perspective - you can forget about native resolution, and all that. It won't mean jack to you anyway. All you need to know is a Sammy DLP will work out fine for you - guaranteed! There won't be any nasty surprises...

Personally, I prefer Sony LCD Grand Wega's to DLP's (et al), but to each his own. To me, DLP's look harsh. I particularly hate the 'clay faces' it gives to people on the screen, and the excessive contrast. If you haven't noticed, everyone on a DLP looks 'sunburned.' But, some people like that sort of thing, so... whatever...

Another problem with DLP's, IMHO, is the way they handle video games. Supposedly, 'they' have this all figured out - Translation: 'they' haven't got it figured out. It's a basic design flaw with all DLP sets. Take my word for this. Games will 'lag out' on DLP's, but NOT on Sony LCD's. And, you can take that to the bank! If you play video games on your TV, get a LCD.

Anyway, if you like Sammy DLP's, go for it! Forget all the numbers. It'll do 1080i and 720p, and that's all that matters. The rest is academic! You should be more concerned with the overall picture quality, as compared to a Sony Grand Wega, for instance.

A Sammy DLP will do exactly what you want it to do, except for gaming. In that respect, they are severely lacking. You can figure out all the rest later...

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 135
dlp's have too many moving parts for me.

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 51
From ABC.com FAQs:

Q: I have heard that there are two HDTV formats -- 720p and 1080i. Is there a difference between these formats and can my television receive both these formats?
A: Regardless of the HDTV format being broadcast, all new HDTV receivers can receive both formats. New HDTV televisions will convert any received signal to a format that is compatible with your new display. The 720p format uses progressive scanning, which is just like your computer monitor. Progressive scan offers crystal clear images that virtually eliminates those scanning lines that are visible on most large screen televisions. ABC broadcasts all of its programming using the 720p format except in Dallas, where the ABC station broadcasts in 1080i. Many new flat panel displays use progressive scan.

The 1080i format uses interlace scanning just like today's analog televisions. Scanning lines are less visible on big screens due to the number of lines. Most older projection HDTV's use 1080i.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us