Archive through January 27, 2006

Username: Anthrax79

Post Number: 2
Update on my post above. My total lamp hours according to the service menu is 659!! That is 1/10 the advertised lamp life of 6000 hours!

Goffer750
Unregistered guest
I guess I should be feeling lucky after reading all these...mine went out after about 6.5 months and 1200 hrs.
Only thing is, it started the "dim" thing on Jan. 2nd (bowl day!) and I got to watch my Penn State Nittany Lions vs FSU and then the Rose Bowl in crappy darkness. Tonight it went out completely.

Model number 52Z585, mfg. 2/05, purchased at Video Only in Salem, OR 6/05. Ser. #070851xx No UPS, a good surge protection, and no power incidents in the 6+ months of operation. Set is on 30 min. in the morning and 5+ hrs. at night during the week and about 9 hrs. per day on weekends. Sits on a stand with no ventilation problems.
I couldn't get through to JVC CS so went to the local authorized repair shop who ordered a lamp from JVC. They told me a week, but I'm not holding my breath after reading all these horror stories!
Thanks to WANA69, and everyone else, for pressing the battle with JVC...the message needs to get through loud and clear that these bulbs are crap! It was my major hesitation in the initial purchase, but not knowing about all these stories, I was sucked in by the pitch and the advertised life.

I'm not willing to put up with repairs and major downtime every 6 months...JVC are you listening?!

Anonymous

1: JVC HD-52Z585
2: Serial number: 08085821
3: Date of mfg: March 2005
4: Date of purchase: Mid-July 2005
5: Symptoms: Blue and sometimes yellow colors of image were flipped (mirror image) to rest of image. At first (Jan. 2, of course) this was intermittent and powering off and back on resolved. Next day, however, the problem was not intermittent.

6: Hours run each day: approximately 5-6 hours
6a:Estimated TOTAL run time: 800-900 hrs
7: Amount time set on once it is powered up: Once it was on, it usually stayed ON.
8: Set is plugged into a Monster Power AV700 Power center.

Repair technician says Light Engine needs to be replaced. Will call when it is in and need to schedule time for replacement. No lamp prolems ... yet.

Bronze Member
Username: Likegrouch

Post Number: 25
matt crownover - how did you get to the service menu to check lamp life - please share for everyone's benefit. This will eliminate guess work on "hours used".
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 973
As far as I know the JVC does not have an hour counter for the lamp. It has a timer that counts down from 4k. When the timer hits zero you get a message that the bulb may need to be replaced.

I've been all thru the Service menu and I have not seen anything that has to do with the lamp usage. I wouldn't mind being wrong however...

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 405
I think people are getting the Z and the G series mixed up. I've read some posts (and it's in the G series Service Manual) that there is a way to check both the run time on the current lamp, and (I think) the total run time on the set.

If you notice matt crownover has the "G" series (HD-52G786)

Upload
Upload

Hmmm...
Unregistered guest
Fourth/Final Update: I recieved the bulb from JVC today and installed...very simple. The TV is back to normal operating. The bulb package included a mail back label to send the burnt bulb back to JVC and a form indicating serial number, purchase date, ect. I had to call JVC on about 5 occasions to deal with this process and they were ok...not great. Hold times averaged 10 minutes. By the way my name and address were spelled totally wrong on the shipping container, be careful to confirm with them. I will be curious to see how long this lamp lasts. When I look at the part it looks like about a $30 item..the $199 price is rediculous..oh well.

Username: Muleskinner

Saint Charles, Missouri USA

Post Number: 7
WeAreNotAlone69,

I followed your instruction to determine 'current lamp total run time'. Went into SERVICE MODE menu...no problem. I don't know what to make of the results though. Here's what I got.

D070________00
000 00 0000 0000

D071________5D
093 5D 0101 1101

I just replace the lamp about a week ago. Can you make a calculation determination from this info. D070 came up all zeros...so I don't know how to work the calculation, much less understand it or where the other numbers come from. Does it mean that I have 93 hours on the replacement lamp since installation?

Thanks in advance.

Post Number: 8
Maybe I just figured this out

D070________00
000 00 0000 0000

D071________5D
093 5D 0101 1101

(0 x 256) + 93 = 93

Bronze Member
Username: Likegrouch

Post Number: 26
For reference here is what I found in another post on getting into the service menu.
The Z series does not have bulb life - I pressed all numbered keys and did not get anything meaningful

4.3.2 HOW TO ENTER THE SERVICE MENU

(1) Press the [SLEEP TIMER] key and while indication of"SLEEP TIMER 0 MIN." is being displayed, press [DISPLAY] key and [VIDEO STATUS] key simultaneously, and the SERVICE MENU screen of Fig.1 will be displayed:

---------------------------
SERVICE MENU
1. ADJUST
2. SELF-CHECK
3. I2C STOP
---------------------------

** Select the SERVICE MENU ITEM

(2) When the SERVICE MENU is displayed, press any key of the [1] to [3] key to enter the corresponding menu mode.

** Select the setting ITEM & SETTING VALUE

(3) Select the service item using the [FUNCTION (up /down)] key.

(4) Set the value using the [FUNCTION (up/down)] key.

(5) Press the [MUTING] key to memorize the adjustment value, If not to do it, adjustment data is not memorized to the memory IC. And if exit the adjustment mode before memorize the data, the adjustment which your changed value is canceled.

4.3.3 HOW TO EXIT THE SERVICE MENU
Press the [MENU] key to exit the SERVICE MENU.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Williams09-14-04, 11:31 AM
(1) Set the [SLEEP TIMER] key to 0 min.

(2) Press the [DISPLAY] key and the [VIDEO STATUS] key simultaneously.

(3) Press the [9] key to enter the R G B box pattern.

(4) Select the [R box pattern] by pressing the [DISPLAY] key.

(5) At Horizontal RGB box pattern, top edge position is adjusted as same as G.(green) by pressing the [CH+] / the [CH -] key.

(6) At vertical RGB box pattern, right edge position is adjusted as same as G.(green) green by pressing the [VOL -] / the [VOL +] key.

(7) Select the [B box pattern] by pressing the [DISPLAY] key to same adjustments are done as (5) and (6).

(8) Press the [MENU] key to return normal screen.

Note

• G.(green) box pattern : FIXED
• Adjustment data : Memorized at once.
• H. and V. position data : Reset by [SLEEP TIMER] key.
• DISPLAY key : R --> B --> RGB --> •••••
• RGB pattern : Center position select.

Chris Gunning
Unregistered guest
I bought a JVC HD-ILA Model HD-61Z575 on 11/11/2004 (BB The First bulb went in six months, ordered a replacement (3 weeks, easy repair. My second bulb went pop last night. I have noticed in the last several weeks some pink bleed through on dark screens. If anyone has knowledge of this being a ballast problem or a problem with screen burn through, I would like to hear from you.Thanks

Unregistered guest
I bought my set JVC 52 H-DILA in Aug and just 4 days ago it started to get REAL dark--mind you I'm watching NFL on HDTV so I know something isn't right.

I flipped thinking I may have touched something on the setting , even though I know I didn't. So then I blame the wife, like WTF is going on?

Well it didn't take more than a few minutes to realize it was the bulb, even though I was "TOLD" they last up to 16K hours. HAHAHA.

Now I have to wait 2 weeks for some guy from BrandsMart to come to my house and then they have to order the damn part I'm sure.

I already emailed JVC online and filled out the forum, but I'm sure they'll get back to me before there is peace in the Middle East.

Can we just buy these bulbs online for a reasonable price?

Anyone have suggestions please email me jgloss@adelphia.net

Thanks in advance and F JVC!

Unregistered guest
Hd-52z575 manufactured 0ctober 2004. Purchased May 2005. Average use 4 hrs per day.
1st bulb lasted 42 days. Had replacement in 72 hours. Price on bill in canada for replacement $560.00. I near crapped. Tech said I should have no problems with this lamp. Re-designed and much better component. I asked how long would this bulb last..he said at least a year at 8 hrs per day..
2nd bulb just popped..Jan 01,06. 4hrs per day at 6 months = 720 hours. Far less than the 6 to 8 thousand I was told when I bought the TV.
I have talked to 3 different JVC techs and they have all referred me to Customer Service Supervisors. First told me I would get a call in 72 hrs. 2nd told me by the end of the week, I didn't wait cause I am ticked). Third told me that Justin, (the service manager), was working on it and he need more time. I asked for Justins number and left 2 messages 4 hours apart. It is now 9am pacific, 12 noon eastern, and I still have no contact with "Justin". 7 days later.
They tried to tell me a service Tech would come to my house but the nearest is 38 kms, (26 miles away). I have already had contact with him and he is NOT coming to do a service call. I told JVC that and JVC said they would work on it, (the tech guys).
IMO the warranty says that all televisions over 27 inches shall have an in-home service. If JVC can't provide this service then they are in breach of contract. Ergo..I want my money back!

Anonymous

Hello All..

I own an hd-56G786 (purchased Aug 2005) and just blew my first lamp on 7 Jan 2006. I spoke with a rep at JVC this morning to arrange for replacement and mentioned my concerns about lamp life. He stated that the lamp comes with a 1 year warranty exclusive of the TV or any other warranties.

Just wanted to let you know and am curious to know if anyone else has been told this (In other words.. was I being fed a line to shut me up?).

Cheers,

Unregistered guest
I too have had my share of issues. Purchased my JVC HD52z575 back in October of 2004, drive engine went out in Dec 2004. JVC repaired the issue. Took about two weeks to get the unit back. Then in April 05, my unit fell under the corrective action measure and called JVC once more and they "upgraded" the unit (out another week or two). During the upgrade apparently the lamp was replaced. Now in Dec, the lamp blew.

Just called JVC and apparently the "new" bulbs, TS-CL110Uaa, have only been in production since Oct 2005. These lamps are said to last 6000 hours. Just ordered a new lamp, so let see how this new bulb hold up.

Username: Jasond2109

Columbus, Ohio United States

Post Number: 7
I have a JVC HD-61z585. I have had the television for a little longer then a year and 3 months. I have had the power supply replaced that was defective and was a call back on the television and I have had the bulbs replaced 4 times. Last week was the first time the bulb went when the television was out of warrranty. I called a guy named Steve that I told last time I called about my problem and he said call him if the bulb goes again and I will replace it. WEll I couldnt get a hold of him cause of the holidays but as soon as the screen goes a little dark you should probably be on the phone ordering a new bulb because it will go in the next couple of hours or days. Anyways I called the 1-800-252-5722 number which is JVC and I told them my problem and I had a new bulb sent to my place the next day without even having a warranty. But I made another post on this television because I am trying to get my computer hooked up to my TV here is the forum link for that check it out and hopefully we can all actually figure this tv out. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/188427.html

Post Number: 9
Anonymous said, "Hello All..

I own an hd-56G786 (purchased Aug 2005) and just blew my first lamp on 7 Jan 2006. I spoke with a rep at JVC this morning to arrange for replacement and mentioned my concerns about lamp life. He stated that the lamp comes with a 1 year warranty exclusive of the TV or any other warranties.

Just wanted to let you know and am curious to know if anyone else has been told this (In other words.. was I being fed a line to shut me up?).

Cheers,"

I received the first replacement lamp kit from JVC 29DEC05, for my 52G886 Purchased July 2005 (mfrd June 2005). The paperwork that came with the replacement lamp stated that the lamp was under warranty for 90 days.

It would be GREAT if the lamp now comes with a 1 year warranty exclusive of the TV or any other warranties. This would be a small step in the right direction on JVC's part towards restoring some level of customer satisfaction.

JVC has had their face in the mud on this issue for some time now. From all the horror stories I've read hear and at other HD forums, I still find it hard to believe that JVC isn't interested in retaining their market share. There's a lot of money to be made in this nitch. Premature lamp burn-out, IMO, is not the way for JVC to reach their business goals.

Username: Bcvader

Castlegar, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 1
Update.
Left 2 more messages For Customer Service Manager "Justin". Finally got through to technicians and "Allen" said he just spoke with "Justin" and he has just now escalated my claim to a higher priority..after 7 days... I should have been at #1 according to the ISO 9001 committment after 48 hrs..
Again this is a HD-52Z575 bought in May 2005. It's an October 2004 build serial # 15983**.
On its own circuit with surge protector. First bulb 42 days didn't notice any darkening of the screen, just a loud POP...replaced with TS-CL11OU serial # 11088102 lasted estimated 720 hours. 95% of the time it's on for the 4 hours then off. Rarely more than 2 cycles on/off. On JVC stand with only tower speakers near it and forward and 15 Inches from the wall...there is no ventillation problem due to enclosed area. 2nd bulb had darkening screen for 2 days then really loud POP. Inside of bulb cover discolored and bits floating around. Same as first bulb. I didnt get that serial number. I did note that on the bill that came with the second bulb it had TS-CL11OUAA as part number..that is not what was on the bulb. TS-CL11OU on the bulb.

Post Number: 10
Randy Grant said, "I should have been at #1 according to the ISO 9001 committment after 48 hrs.."

A resounding ISO amen Randy. I'd like to find out who JVC's registrar is. I've Googled this and find nothing. BTW, are you perhaps from the Fort Smith area?

Unregistered guest
i have tried 1-800-252-5722 all day and couldn't get anyone. is there a better # or more direct one?

jgloss

Third update,
Justin just called...said they have been backlogged with issues. They are replacing the bulb and are shipping it by courier. I asked him point blank if there is a problem with my tv blowing the bulbs and he said no..the tv was just fine..it's a new updated version of the bulb....much more reliable. Same story I had last time. When I get the new bulb I am going to pursue this further. Bird in the hand!

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 976
Have you tried contacting your local JVC repair shop? They can order you a new lamp much faster and without all the hassle of trying to contact JVC yourself. When my lamp blew early last year my local repair shop got me one send next day air from JVC. My TV was only down for about 48 hours tops.

Unregistered guest
^ i shouldn't have posted it because after finally getting through for about 30 minutes on hold i got a rep who said JVC fired the company that made bulbs for them and they will replace it no problem. so by thursday i should have my new bulb. thanks for your assistance. i hope the others get a new bulb too, because 200.00 is not cheap these days for a 2.00 manufactured bulb.

so is it easy to put in? i saw i have to unscrew a few things and just slide out the bulb.

Username: Darsay

Thompson, Manitoba Canada

I purchased my t.v. on nov,2005. Bulb blew jan 8,2006.
model # HD-52G786
serial# 12061970
mfg : july 2005
runs 8 - 10 hrs/day, 7 days /week
around 700 hours on life of bulb
cycles 1 -2 /day

A few days prior to the bulb blowing,the picture went dark. After blaming the kids, i attempted to try brighten the picture, shortly after that's when i heard the "pop"
Because there is no local dealer where i live, the closest place where i had to buy from is 800 km. away. is there a place on-line i can get replacement bulbs.The dealer said to send in the bulb, and he will replace it. But i'm worried about the next bulb, which he may or may not replace.

Silver Member

Post Number: 410
Jason,

It is VERY easy to put in. (the LAMP)

$2.00 to mfg the "lamp"?.. More than that... (But way less than the many hundreds quoted in the below link that has some interesting info. http://www.ercservice.com/lamps/philips/PhilipsUHPLamps.html

Here's a link on how they "rate" the lamps...

http://www.cherrywood-av.co.uk/guides/Lamps.pdf
(Good thing these jokers don't build airplanes, or any mission critical stuff!)

Silver Member

Post Number: 411
RE: Jason posted: i got a rep who said JVC fired the company that made bulbs for them and they will replace it no problem

Jason, POST the part number when you get the new lamp...

Silver Member

Post Number: 412
Darren, you need to call JVC directly , your set is under warranty.

They should ship one to you direct.

If you want to BUY a lamp you can go to www.jvc.com.. do a search for your model, parts...

Unregistered guest
this is the # i called. you'll have to wait, but it's worth it.

1-800-252-5722

you'll need your serial # and model on hand. they were very friendly and it seemed like the rep i spoke to was almost embarassed about this. they're well aware of their bulb problem. i would imagine anyone who calls who has their set under 1 year should have no problem receiving a new bulb.

they ship them fed ex 2-day btw.

Username: Kobebear8

I bought a JVC HD61Z585 in June, moved to a new house and did not hook it up till july 4th weekend. It is now Jan and the TV just sucks First when you turned the tv on the colors were all out of wack red on top yellow on botton ect... A day later the TV will not even turn on. I finally got through to JVC and they directed me to a service center here in vegas. They are coming today to pick up the TV. On the phone they told me that it sounds like a light engine, if that is true does anybody out there know how long these engines are suppose to last. I have had a 50 inch projection tv for over 10 years now and I have never had a problem at all. I have been lucky so far with the bulb not going out on the new TV, unless that is the problem i am having now. Reading this forum it sounds like this is a common problem. Has there been any word of a recall due to this problem. I bought a 5 year warrenty from the store i bought the tv from ( RC WILLEY)
I hope they fix all these problems once my 1 year warranty goes away. actually I hope there are no more problems period ( HA HA HA )

goffer750
Unregistered guest
Lamp update...just got the set back up and running after the thing blew on 1/3/06. I had tried the JVC number and then went to the nearby authorized repair place, who told me one week for the part. To the day and hour it arrived as predicted at their place and they let me have it to install, and they did the warranty claim. It's the part with AA at the end.
Warranty material in the package says 1 yr. The repair place says that applies regardless of if the TV is still in warranty or not.
So, other than the painful one-week of downtime (I got a lot of home projects done though...), and the very large disapointment in the false advertising claims, the picture looks great now.
I certainly hope that the lamp engineering and mfg. improve so that this doesn't get repeated for a long time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Is there a way to determine Total Time on my set through the Service Mode or some other method? I have the HD-52G886.

Thanks in advance!

Username: Jvcwoes

I'm in in with you. Purchased the 55" in March, 2 bulbs blown now. Local repair shop (HHGregg) says they are so far in backorder on bulbs, they don't know when they can fix my TV. I now own a very large, very dark coat rack.

Model: HD-52Z585
Serial Number: 07084557
Purchased in March of 2006
Manuf Date: Feb of 2006
Symptons: Both front panel lights blinking rapidly (the 0.5 sec blink). No picture, set hums 3 times on power on, then the blinking starts.
Run time per day: Maybe 4 hours.

I'm usually against lawsuits in general, but I think JVC deserves this on. I hate being duped by a company.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Bob Dillon,

I'm curious, how have you been duped? JVC has an issue with bulbs. That is a problem with the manufacturer of those bulbs. I am sure that JVC wishes this problem hadn't happened. But, it did. They are backing up the warranty and if you deal with them reasonably, they will deal with you reasonably. You can act incensed if you like but for the money this is the best TV out there.

P. S. Bulb issues are in no way limited to JVC televisions.

zabo
Unregistered guest
Bob, I suggest contacting JVC directly. You should get a faster response and, hopefully, your bulb will arrive sooner. You will also be able to voice your displeasure with your experience to date. I agree with tvshopper - this is just a bulb issue and, hopefully, become better over time. I for one am very pleased with my set (56G786) despite the bulb problems.

jason gloss
Unregistered guest
funny, i shouldn't have spoke too soon.

although JVC is willing to replace this, their customer service department is a little behind.

needless to say, i called in on monday and they did everything but "PLACE the ORDER" for the parts. i was told an "error" occured saving the data. yet they had all my information and phone number so if there was truly a problem i could have been reached.

anyways, apparently it's going out "tomorrow" and i should receive it soon.

it's no fun to wait.

Post Number: 3
4th update.
I was told that this bulb was a "New and improved" version! To my close scrutiny EVERYTHING is exactly the same except the price on the waybill...First one was 560.88 and the second 299.00.
I have checked all the numbers on the housing, the bulb and the waybill...They are all exactly the same...except the serial number. This one is a 17 series the old was an 11.
Waybill says TS-CL11OUAA same as the last replacement. On the bulb says HS 110AR10-51
Next plan is to push for an explanation and committment from JVC to supply bulbs.

Username: Bmccutcheon

Atlanta, Ga USA

Another Victim.

JVC HD-61Z585
SN:06082643
Mfg Date: Jan 2005
Purchase: Oct 2005
Aprox hours: Maybe 500 (Can't know for sure until I get another bulb)

Screen was darker last night at dinner, made a few adjustments. This morning watching the news my world went dark. I guess it's back to the 32 incher while I wait for another bulb.

Jeeze!

Bill

Username: Kobebear8

Well it has been 3 days and i called the service center, thay have not even looked at the tv yet, so i had to go the shop my self and ask for them to look at it. He told me it would take 3 to 4 days to order the part, and then another 1 or 2 to fix it. Great 3000 dollars of air in my living room for almost 2 weeks just f great

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
RE: "JVC has an issue with bulbs. That is a problem with the manufacturer of those bulbs."

The bulb manufacturer's bulb problem IS JVC's problem. True JVC has issue with a sub-tier manufacturer/supplier, BUT JVC is to be held accountable/responsible by its customers.

We don't know the whole story. Perhaps JVC management awarded/directed bulb manufacturing to the lowest bidder. This goes on all the time.

If this is the case JVC stepped on a dollar to save a dime. Engineering should have insisted to the JVC bean counters, that HIGH QUALITY bulbs be used from the beginning since they are a consumable item. Now JVC, and not the bulb manufacturer, has their face in the mud. JVC probably got exactly what they paid for from the bulb manufacturer. Did you?

JVC gambled on the bulb they subcontracted for installation in these RPTV's and used us, the customer, as " tailless South American cavy".

Username: Firedawg24

Post Number: 8
My TV which was bought in July is currently a 52 inch paper weight, waiting on the almighty light engine. I called JVC about this and was polite but firm, they said they would forward my complaint to Justin in the DILA dept, they said he would call me within 48 hours. Fast forward 45 hours still no call, so I called back, I got the same response. Fast forward 20 minutes much to my surprise I get a call from Justin needless to say I was very pleased. He was able to look up my part order and told me that I was one of about 30 people who are waiting on this part. He told me that about 223 light engines have been ordered by JVC, so hopefully they wont have to go on back order again. the bottom line he said it should be no longer that 2 weeks for my Svc Ctr get the part.

As far as the lamp goes, I called JVC several days prior because I thought it might be a lamp issue and they sent me the lamp 2 days later, no questions asked. They did however send a return label for the old lamp. I'll have to wait to get the new Light Engine in before I take out the existing lamp.

The point I am trying to make is that I believe that if you are courteous to them they will return that favor. It does suck that this is happening but I'll deal with it as long as I can get my great picture back.

One more thing, Every time I buy a new product, i.e. new design, there have always been problems. I have lemoned lawed 2 VW's 1 BMW and a Ford all within 2 years. They all had serious problems like stalling on the freeway twice a week and not restarting to windows that would not roll up, on ALL the windows. So with this H-DILA that is new technology it just seems fitting that I(we) am the one who gets the one with all the bugs. Next time I'll wait until the product has been out a few years and is bug free.

Oh, if your wondering here are the details of my TV
Model: 52z575
serial#: 17986034 PA
Purchased at BB in July of 05
Build date: Dec 04

Good luck all,

Username: Rens2448

Thinking about buying the JVC HD52G786 TV. But am nervous after reading all these bulb problems. I notice on the JVC website they sell extended warranties, but they don't list the prices. Does anyone know the cost of these? Seems like a good option, if they cover the bulbs.

Thanks

JimZ
Unregistered guest
The problems I've had with my set were frustrating enough. Discovering this thread made it worse - I suddenly realized that this unhappy saga is likely to continue.

A couple questions:

I've seen someone quote 6000 hours as the expected bulb life. Is that accurate?

WeAreNotAlone: OK, so I and others are posting DETAILED info. Is anyone doing anything with the info, or is it just sitting on this board? What do you hope to accomplish with these detailed case histories?

My Details:
=========
Model: JVC HD-61Z786

Serial number: 08080215

Date of mfg: March 2005

Date of purchase: 05/13/2005

Note symptoms in DETAIL:

Never noticed any warning signs prior to first bulb failure, in mod-November 2005. After receiving replacement from JVC about 1 week later, all was well.

Sometime over New Year's weekend, second bulb failed. When I called JVC, they told me that 1) this was an indrustry-wide bulb problem, and 2) a manager needed to talk to me before the 2nd bulb could be sent. I'd hear from them within 48 hours. After 48 hours passed with no call, I called them. "Oh, the bulb was shipped today."

A few days later, the bulb arrived. Inserted new bulb and powered on TV. Nothing - except the familiar blinking lights on the front. Thinking that I installed in incorrectly, I removed and re-installed it many times. Finally, the TV came on, but I knew something other than the bulb was wrong. I haven't turned the TV off since, because I doubt I could get it on again - 9 days and counting. (Yes, I know that's not a good thing, but if I get another bulb failure, better that it happens befofore the warranty expires.)

I scheduled a service call locally. Took the day off work on Friday. Friday morning, the tech calls, hears my description, and says "it's the ballast. I need to order the part and re-schedule."

Hours run each day: 5 -6, excluding the last 9 days.

TOTAL amount of run time: Probably 1000 or so.

Amount time set say on once it is powered up: Usually, it goes on, then off, once a day.

Is set in plugged into a UPS: No

Lamp: TS-CL110U

Part numbers of replaced parts: None yet

JVC has been OK the times that I've called, other than the unnecessary delay in shipping the second bulb.

Username: Ntblood

Hi. I have only had my JVC 61" HD-ILVA HD61Z886 for 4 1/2 months using it only about or less than 3 hours a day. I just noticed the screen becoming quite dim. I tried turning the brightness up but after reading this thread I see I'm in trouble. I'm in Japan (U.S. Navy) so I hear they make house calls to support this so if I unfortunately am suffering from a faulty product maybe they'll come and fix it. Just wanted to add my piece.
my SN is 4683802056 bought it Sept. 2 2005 HD61Z886
BTW this sucks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 429
RE: OK, so I and others are posting DETAILED info. Is anyone doing anything with the info, or is it just sitting on this board? What do you hope to accomplish with these detailed case histories?

Jim Z,

In a nutshell posting detailed info helps to bring a spotlight onto those issues that otherwise will be swept under the rug by a mfg. It helps to bring issues into the light of day so to speak and the mfg is shamed /forced /or if they're smart just plain "wants" to address those issues to keep their name good.

Keep in mind such info may also be of use to someone (such as yourself) that at some point has to try to get JVC to "make good" on a set that has failed and requires big $$$ to fix.... Especially if you have several hundred posts that show a pattern in them. If say for example you had to fight, wouldn't you want info that showed a pattern, and in addition wouldn't you want to be able to network and contact other owners that were having the same problems so everyone could band together? (Hint, create an account so you can be contacted via PM's, or post an e-mail address everyone.... Keep in mind people that at some point if JVC does not address the issues being talked about in this thread legal action may have to be taken)

Is anyone doing anything with the info, or is it just sitting on this board?

Is anyone doing anything with the info? Hard to say, but let me ask you this... If there was any way to get JVC to upgrade, or compensate us D-ILA owners... Don't you think the few moments it takes to post detailed info may, A: be worth your time, and B: help a lawyer make a case in our behalf if it comes to that? (BTW: You can bet that there are going to be some lawyers out there that buy a D-ILA, or D-ILA's and that they too will be affected... Say they run across this thread and their personal set is down and JVC is giving them the run around... Can you see how having detailed info would help someone who was motivated to help us owners bring forth a case action lawsuit if needed?

Putting aside legal action... Posting detailed info makes it mighty hard for JVC to deny that people out there ARE having excessive problems. (It shows a PATTERN.) If nothing else this info helps those that may be in the market for a set, or are thinking about having to "pay" to get their sets fixed once out of warranty.. I don't know about you, but I don't have a "warm" fuzzy feeling inside about this set lasting several years.

What do you hope to accomplish with these detailed case histories?

I hope that JVC will:

1: See the info and fix the units so they do not eat lamps and light engines. (BTW people... JVC is here, I won't go into the details but a few members here have been contacted by JVC directly about an issue not related to the lamp and light engine problems on the D-ILA's. )

2: Extend the official warranty in some way - I for one expect the lamp rated at 6,000 hours to last in the thousands of hours, instead of "hundreds" of hours. I expect the light engine to last at least 5 years, if not lifetime.

3: Upgrade us owners to units that do not eat lamps and light engines, if the problems cannot be fixed.

I also hope that the info being posted spurs a movement like in the Panasonic short lamp life thread in which a petition got going. I read somewhere that Panasonic extended the warranty . https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/121989.html http://www.petitiononline.com/panbulb/petition.html

Barring that I hope that some lawyer(s) who have purchased D-ILA(s) and are going thru the same pains of ownership get involved in some kind of case action suit. You can bet there are some lawyers that own D-ILA's that have been rubbed the wrong way that may help.

In closing let me say this, we are all lucky to live in a time that we "have" the Internet and at the touch of a few buttons can bring to light info that forces the mfg to step up to the plate. (i.e. brings to light that a certain model may be a "lemon", have design flaws, or the component parts are failing at a rate far in excess of what they should be.)

The Internet has made manufacturers MUCH more responsive to "fixing" problems that 20-30- 40 years ago would have been swept under the rug.

Think about it, several thousand dollars for a tv.... (That may "eat" lamps at several hundreds of dollars a piece, and light engines - Light engines being around $1,500 + a pop btw) . Takes only a few minutes posting detailed info....

I really don't see the reason why people would not want to post such info. The only info I can see people being hesitant to post would be the serial number..... To address that concern I have suggested a partial number such as 0808xxxx instead of 08080555 for example.

Unregistered guest
Have a JVC MN:HD61Z575 Purchased 11/23/2004 use about 3 hours daily, bulb blew out 12/31/2005 just before midnite, took two weeks to locate replacement bulb. two minutes to replace, over $200.00 to buy.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
QSD,

I am unwilling to get into a debate with you. However, I will point out that your entire post is based on assumptions...YOUR ASSUMPTIONS.

The manufacturer of the bulbs as I understand it is Toshiba. Certainly a reputable company. Who knows what happened with the bulbs. My first TV's bulb ran for over a year (and was still going when I got rid of the set). So, it is isolated....a bad batch?....a change in manufacturing process?....raw materials problem?....who knows. But, before you stand there and point the finger at JVC, I think you should have FACTS not ASSUMPTIONS.

AlanA
Unregistered guest
HD52Z585
s/n: 17982259
Manufactured: December '04
Purchased: Jan '05

Bulb blew today. Picture had been noticeably dimmer for ~2 weeks. Usage: ~12 hrs/day. On surge protector.

Called JVC today to request a replacement bulb. They said they'd FedEx me a new one and it will be here in 2 days. The rep I spoke with was very pleasant and helpful.

I've been very happy with the set up to this point. By far the nicest picture I've seen on any television. Hopefully the replacement bulb will be of much better quality and JVC will stand behind their product and do whatever's necessary to resolve this problem.

Thanks for this thread and for all the good information.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
AlanA,

You got 4,000+ (365 X 12 = 4380) hours out of your bulb if I'm reading your post correctly. That's not bad.

Username: Zbone

WeAreNotAlone -

First, I registered here, for whatever that's worth. (Previous post as "JimZ")

Second, I hope you didn't take my first post as adversarial. We are all in the same boat, I was simply trying to understand if these posts were leading somewhere specific.

Third, while I agree with all of your points, I'm not sure that this forum brings enough attention to this issue. As great as Ecoustics is, it's not mainstream enough to really bring public pressure to JVC.

I don't feel optimistic about my TV, either. This was a major purchase for me - other than homes and cars, I don't know that I've ever spent as much on any other item.

I hope this forum helps all of us resolve our issues.

Unregistered guest
1: Brand/Model: JCV HD-56G886
2: Serial Number: 11061772
3: Date of mfg: June 2005
4: Date of purchase: 12 October 2005, first turned on 12 January 2006
5: Dimming Screen (I hope the bulb doesn't blow this soon)
6: Hours run per day: 6 hours
6a: Estimated total time: 24 hours
7: Power cycle: 3 hours approx
8: Plugged into generic surge protector
9: No new lamp as of yet
10: No new parts as of yet

Wow, I hope I'm not having problems this early. I purchased my TV from a Military exchange and it spent 4 months in layaway. On 15 January 2006, I turned on the TV and the picture was fine. About 20 minutes later the screen became dark. I went into the settings and turned up the brightness, but it made little difference. I hope my bulb isn't going bad this soon. After reading all the threads on here for hours, I figured it might be in my best interest to go ahead and post my info.

Jerame

Silver Member

Post Number: 432
RE: https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=576965#POST576965

Jerame... You need to call JVC and get a lamp on the way. There may be something wrong with the ballast as well, but by your description that's how a lamp acts when it's on it's way out. (Light output decreases, Turning up brightness makes little differance. Lamps blows/ goes out within a short amount of time.)

More than likely it's just a bad lamp. If you have to have them come out for a service call have them check the ballast for proper output and/or replace the ballast.

One last thing...if they come out on a service call.

1: Be there to "watch" them.
2: Don't let them "take" the set in for service...

Silver Member

Post Number: 433
RE: https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=576851#POST576851

Zbone (Previous post as "JimZ"),

I did not take your original post in a negative way. I understood what you were saying.

What concerns me is how JVC will help out us early adopters once the official 1 year warranty is up.

There sure are allot of people reporting early death of these component parts, and the lamps and light engines have been on back-order it seems allot over the past several months which would indicate that they ARE failing at a high rate.

It does seem that something IS amiss either in the design or production /quality control of the light engines, and the lamp / and or ballast, or control circuit...

BTW: Glad to hear you created an account. Might come in handy in case someone wanted to contact you if some kind of organized effort gets rolling. :-)

Wow. I reported my screen was getting dim I thought a few days ago. Now I have no picture at all and the blue light on the power button is flashing. I called a service rep. What a drag. My question is will the replacement bulb last longer? Suppose that's hard to know but if anyone can input on that, cool.

JVC 61" HD-ILVA HD61Z886 for 4 1/2 months, using it only about or less than 3 hours a day.
My first 6 digits of my serial is 468380XX (I think), bought it Sept. 2 2005 HD61Z886

I mean is there a choice in brands of bulbs so I can insist on say a Philips bulb instead of a Toshiba?! I'm going to have them replace it soon so I'd really like some input please. Thank you.

AlanA
Unregistered guest
tvshopper: you're right. We have got a lot of mileage out of our bulb, especially compared to others who have posted in this thread. In hindsight 12 hrs/day is probably an overestimate of our usage but still, I'm disappointed that we're having to replace a part on our $3k set after only 1 year of ownership.

Silver Member

Post Number: 434
RE: JVC 61" HD-ILVA HD61Z886 for 4 1/2 months, using it only about or less than 3 hours a day.
My first 6 digits of my serial is 468380XX (I think), bought it Sept. 2 2005 HD61Z886

Is there a choice in brands of bulbs so I can insist on say a Phillips bulb instead of a Toshiba?! I'm going to have them replace it soon so I'd really like some input please. Thank you.

NO, as of todays date there is NOT a choice of lamps .
Hopefully JVC will decide to UPGRADE from Toshiba to the Phillips system SOON!!!!!

Most people are reporting the Phillips lamps last ALLOT longer.

Here is a man who upgraded his Samsung HLN507w lamp, ballast, and "ballast fan", switching from a Toshiba, to Phillips lamp. https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=559697#POST559697

JVC, you need to look into using Phillips lamps.
If for no other reason you should be using two vendors for your lamps to spur competition between the two vendors.

The ONLY reason for using one vendor would be if one lamp wholesales for $10., and the other is $50+

I know you have to save costs, but most people who pay a few extra bucks upfront when buying the tv itself to get a part which LASTS.

Silver Member

Post Number: 435
EDIT: Here is the CORRECT link to the man who upgraded his Samsung HLN507w lamp, ballast, and "ballast fan", switching from a Toshiba, to Phillips lamphttps://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/186132.html

Username: Kellyjef

NIAGARA FALLS, NY United States

Well, I have just spent the last hour reading this thread and I'm really concerned about what I've read.

This has been my experience:

HD-52Z585
mfg - January 2005
purchased - February 2005
SN - 06082649

Since my husband is disabled, he is home all day every day watching tv so it is probably on an average of 16 hours per day so we probably got about 5,000 hours out of the bulb.

Monday evening (January 16, 2006), we heard a distinctive pop and the two warning lights started blinking simultaneously so we assumed we had blown the bulb.

We bought the tv from Stereo Advantage so we contacted them the next day (Tuesday) and the guy was here today (Wednesday) by noon and replaced the bulb. After reading the horror stories here, I guess we really did receive exceptional service from Stereo Advantage.

We are very happy with this tv, but reading about all these serious problems is really disconcerting.

When we bought the tv, I had no idea that it contained "bulbs" that would need to be replaced periodically. We didn't find out about these bulbs until my husband looked up troubleshooting Monday night in the manual.

Username: Jvcwoes

After calling JVC, they agreed to ship me a new bulb for my 55" D-ILA TV. This is after I waited 2 weeks for my local repair shop to get one. The repair shop got here first, and replaced the bulb. My bulb from JVC showed up a day later, so now I have a new one and a spare. As long as JVC is going to support it's customers through this issue, I'm ok with it. From what the repairman told me, they have 23 sets in Indianapolis with blown bulbs that he has on a list to fix. Ouch.

Atlanta, Ga USA

For 13 days I have been calling almost everyday trying to get closure on my case. I have spoken with several "Customer No Service" agents without success. Everytime I get past all the menu's and get to an agent, I'm told a supervisor must approve the shipment of the bulb. Yesterday they gave ma a song and dance about all their systems being down. I have just about had it with the piss poor customer service of this company. The good thing in my case is that I decided to do a rent to own to make sure I was going to be happy with the product.... Someone's getting ready to get this turd back and I'm going shopping again.

The numbers I have been using to contact JVC are: 1-800-252-5722 and 1-800-858-6442.

Bill

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Bill,

Frankly I don't understand why you're having so much trouble reaching the right people when everyone else seems to be getting help. Now, granted I've had to wait on hold but I've always gotten to a representitive at the 5722 number you have used. You could always email them from their web site or call their Wayne, NJ offices directly. I suspect that you are showing your impatience and displeasure in an inappropriate way. Remember, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Kill 'em with kindness, buddy.

Bronze Member
Username: Angel_l

Miami, FL. USA

Post Number: 12
I want to join the blown lamp club.
I purchased a 56g886 in 9/19/05 Lamp blew 1/10/06
45 days after purchase HDMI went green. Thanks to wana69 I was able to reset the HDMI input. Brandsmart service in Miami FL. is completly incompetant.

S#11080498aa
lamp part # cl11ouaa
Contacted JVC for support and lamp on the way?

I am so worried when warrenty expires I am left out to dry with the repetitive cost of lamps with a very short life.

BC-Oregon
Unregistered guest
Model : HD-61Z786
SN: 11082352
Purchased 8-30-05
TV picture was dark a couple days before it went out 1-14-06. The repairman should be here today.

I am 46 years old and have purchased many JVC products through out my lfe, up till now I have always been very happy with their products. I hope they can resolve this issue with the life of the bulb, or lack of,LOL.

I wished I had done more research before I purchased the tv, more to the point, I wished I would have found this thread. To me $3000 bucks is a large sum of money for a coat rack. If I had to do it over, I'd probably go with a smaller plasma. I'll talk to Video Only and ask if they will take it back in trade for a plasma after it gets fixed today.

Thanks for bringing this problem to light.

BC-Oregon
Unregistered guest
OK, new bulb is in and the # is TS-CL110UAA. The tech said he heard this is an improved model thus the added AA and the end of the lamp #.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Username: Smokey

I have read over each and every one of the complaints here and they all have one thing in common no one purchased a spare lamp. Each one of you complain about the length of time that it takes to get an additional lamp. Do you drive around in your car without a spare tire? Of course not then why buy a television set that you know has a consumable part and not buy a spare part. Granted I know that the lamps are not coming close to the 4000-6000 hours that they are suppose to last, but there is going to come a time where you will have to purchase a lamp for this unit. Why not call JVC and purchase a spare lamp place the spare lamp in your closet that way if the lamp goes out you simply pull the spare lamp out of the closet place it in the set and then call JVC and they will send you a replacement lamp that you can place back in your closet. This would rectify the several problems first you don't have to wait for the weekend to have a lamp sent out, Second you don't have to worry about the lamps being on back order, third you don't have to drop everything that you are doing to call JVC and get a lamp. You can call at your own convenience to get your replacement lamp. My first lamp just went out last night I just walked to my closet and replaced the lamp with my SPARE lamp. I still have not called JVC I guess I will call them sometime next week.

AlanA
Unregistered guest
I noticed since replacing my lamp yesterday that the non-HD channels are more blurry than they were and the HD channels are more 'grainy' than they were before I replaced the bulb and also the colors seem oversaturated. I was careful when I replaced the bulb and didn't mess with anything in the light engine. Before the original lamp blew the HD channels were amazingly sharp and crisp and the colors very natural and balanced; the non-HD channels were decent but of course not as sharp as HD broadcasts.
Any ideas what might have changed??

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Joseph,

That is just way too logical! LOL! Great post.

P. S. I keep a spare on hand as well.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
AlanA,

The lamp is at its peak intensity straight out of the box. I suspect that the increased intensity is what you are observing. The bulb will decrease in intensity ever so slightly within the first 100 hours (maybe a lot fewer) of operation and then I suspect you be back to where you were.

AlanA
Unregistered guest
tvshopper,

Thanks for your input. I hope that's the case!

Silver Member

Post Number: 442
tvshopper, and Joseph,

RE: That is just way too logical! LOL! Great post. Purchasing a spare lamp.

1: Keeping a spare on hand just addresses the time lag in when the lamp goes out, and when a replacement can be obtained.

2: If you do keep a spare on hand, there are only so many days of warranty on that lamp that is just sitting there. The "warranty" timer ticking away each day it sits in the box, un-used... 90 days?

3:Keeping a spare lamp on hand is a good idea if you have money to burn, and don't care about the warranty on that spare lamp running out.

The problem with that is "purchasing" a spare lamp on hand does nothing to make JVC and the lamp mfg's get on the stick and find out what IS causing short lamp life on the D-ILA series.

Purchasing a spare lamp just means that JVC and the lamp mfg SOLD another lamp. Both making a PROFIT, instead of having to EAT defective product.

The only way to get JVC's and the lamp mfg's attention is to force them to honor the rated time on the lamps. The more they get back on warranty, the faster they figure out what is causing premature lamp death.

Ditto on the light engines... I guess I need to order a spare light engine, so I'm not affected if it's backordered! (LOL)

One last thing... WHY are the lamps going on backorder SO often? The fact they are going on backorder indicates there IS a problem with the lamps. eh?

Silver Member

Post Number: 443
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=580083#POST580083

AlanA,

When you install a new lamp it outputs more light than normal. After 25 -100 hours the light output drops to normal.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Wana,

You are wrong about the warranty regarding the lamp. It starts the day it is installed. I don't know how exactly you are going to document that but for consumable items (at least in my state) the warranty begins with USAGE not PURCHASE. By the way, what's with all the bolding lately? I feel like you're lecturing me and frankly, I don't like it.

P. S. Nice repost of the infomration I already posted regarding AlanA. Apparently I wasn't clear enough for your standards.

Silver Member

Post Number: 445
tvshopper,

How would you prove that you say bought a lamp today, and a year and 1/2 half from now installed it? Say ten years from now?... are you saying the lamp that I think has a 90 day warranty direct from JVC would be replaced by JVC at ANY time in the future?.... Just on your word that you "just" installed it?

Date of purchase is what they (JVC) go by, or in cases of product that have a built in non-resetable timer, the timer.

Your state's law may say differently, if so good for you. For the other 99.99% of the world the retail purchase date is used.

PS: The reason I addressed AlanA's concerns was you were saying you "suspected" his set would be back to normal once the lamp burned in. I was just confirming what you "suspected". Chill out dude. I would suspect that AlanA appericated the confirmation.

One last thing, if you don't like my viewpoints On most all boards just go into your user /member profile and select to ignore posts by a particular user. Of course you have to be a "member".

I don't understand why people that frequent a board refuse to create an account... Of course I don't understand why this board allows people to REPEATEDLY post without creating an account. If it was me after so many posts as an "Unregistered guest" I'd require people to create an account.

Nice feature for those that come here once, or twice to post without being a member, but it's abused by some. (Especially by those here who post under several names) On every other board I've ever been to, to be able to post, or in some case use the search engine of that board requires that you create an account.

Username: Smokey

We are not alone69,

I just got off the phone with JVC and even with my television being out of warranty JVC is still sending me a replacement lamp for free. I understand that you are worried about the cost of the parts for this television, then why did you buy it if you cannot afford to purchase one spare lamp. I pretty sure that if the lamp that I had in my "closet" did not work JVC would still replace it if I would have told them that it did not work out of the box. Furthermore, I do not understand why you have a difficult time locating a lamp I spoke to the Service Manager for these televisions and he told me that the lamps have been in stock for the past two months which leads me to believe that the "lamp problem" may be under control. I would be willing to bet that not one person here whether you are in warranty or not has spent one dime on any parts for this unit. Which tells me that JVC is standing behind their products by supplying the parts either lamps or light engines at not cost to the consumer. Also knowing that the light engine cost around $1500 and the lamp around $200 which one would you think that JVC is attempting to fix first.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Wana,

You used to post some really good stuff but lately you're being nothing but a "grumpy old man." I have not established a user account and I won't. However, I ALWAYS post by the same name.

P. S. It's pretty hard to ignore your posts with the abuse of bolding going on.

Anonymous

WANA is just plain stupid with that kind of talk.
His know it all condescending tone is absolutely annoying. What a jerk!

Silver Member

Post Number: 446
tvshopper,

Once again, create an account and on most boards you can select to ignore posts by posters you don't like.

The Unregistered guest feature is for those that come here once or twice looking for info, not for those that come here day after day.

Silver Member

Post Number: 448
RE: WANA is just plain stupid with that kind of talk. blah,blah.

Anonymous,

If your saying I'm a jerk... Remember that it takes one to know one.

I wonder which Anonymous you are?

Hard to tell since you post as Anonymous.

Something signed as Anonymous isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Stupid talk? Ya, right... I bought the lamp 1-2, or 10 years ago... and I want to get JVC to replace it. Warranty period for 99.99% people in the world starts at the first retail sale of a product.

I'll close with this, If you want to flame me, do it via the PM system. On most boards your supposed to use the PM system for flameing.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Wana,

When did they start paying you to be a moderator? Oh, they didn't! I see; you're self-appointed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 449
tvshopper,

Curious.... Can you please explain why you "have not established a user account and I won't" as you put it.

Along those lines, how many boards percentage wise allow persons to post without creating an account?

This is the first, and only board I've ever been to that allows someone to post without doing so.

I've been around. I happen to know the man personally who orginally started /owned what is now known as America Online (AOL). I've been to his house. I've been in his basement that had the computers in it. I've been invited and ate dinner with the man and his wife. If he's in town still, he lives about 3 miles from me.

Anonymous

"If your saying I'm a jerk..."

If hell!
Let me be perfectly clear. You ARE the biggest jerk on this forum. You're so full of yourself it's comical. The way you try to tell people how they should post is extremely rude. And who cares if someone is registered or not, except maybe an ego tripper like you. BTW, you are just as anonymous as anyone else with that ridiculous user name of yours.

Only the mind of an immature child would say "takes one to know one". What a pathetic childish come back!

Listen up, boy! Nobody cares who you know or what you know.
Narcissism isn't a redeeming character trait.
Learn how to spell, kid! Your ignorance is showing. The last word is yours youngster.

Anonymous

Gentleman, can we please cease the name calling and get back to the VERY IMPORTANT subject??

This is a important thread, lets not let it denigrate into a worthless name calling marathon.

Uptown Dog
Unregistered guest
I agree with WANA. If you haven't noticed he's been trying to help on this issue.

He's just saying to post info that is easy to read and to post detailed info. What's so bad about that?
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=576965#POST576965

Sounds like that Anonymous Dude that called WANA a jerk has mental problems. I can see why he posts as Anonymous.

Anonymous

If you had read the entire thread you wouldn't be saying that, anonymous "Uptown Dog". He goes well beyond posting info. It's almost nauseous.
I'm with tvshopper. You can take a hike!

Username: Samminsammyt

The new JVC series HD**FH96 (1080p) (out in Oct.-Nov. 2005) seem to have the same bulb. eBay people are selling them as a part for the G's, Z's FH's... all JVC LCOS's. JVC also verified it's all the same bulb, yet I have not found complaints of premature bulb burnouts on this newest series.
Anybody have some insite on this?

Thanks

Anonymous

Okay, my bulb just blew after using the TV for less than six months, so here is my information to add to the pile.

2: Serial number of your set: 11060755 AA
3: Date of mfg: June 2005
4: Date of purchase: 05/28/05 - first use 08/05/05
5: Note symptoms in DETAIL: Screen began to darken on 01/18/06, on 01/21/06 TV will not turn on, LED and blue light on front blinking, a buzzing noise is coming from where the bulb is in the TV when trying to start up. I did remove the bulb and visually verified that it had blown.
6: Note hours run each day: 2-3 (weekdays) 4-6 (weekends)
6a:Note estimated TOTAL amount of run time: 500-600 hrs total
7: Note amount time set say on once it is powered up. (In other words your not turning OFF and back on every time a commercial comes on.): 1-2 hours
8: Note if set in plugged into a UPS -to not only FILTER incoming power, but to PROTECT set from BROWN-OUT conditions (low voltage) - Yes
9: Please note any differences between the old, and new lamp. D-ila lamps should be a Toshiba mfg'd TS-CL110U or TS-CL110Uaa. - this was the original lamp, waiting on a new one
10: Note part numbers of replaced parts. - waiting on replacement parts

Systems CEO
Unregistered guest
I came to this site to find the issues people are having with their JVC LCoS boxes, like I'm doing with Sony and LC. Most people are straight forward with their problems and solutions, and positive or negative, they are worth reading and great information. Everyone on this site has their own experience and stories to tell, and tell them they should.

When obvious spindoctors like "tvshopper" spends their posts telling Bill he is "acting inappropriately" or bwu that he's "dealt with people like him in his business before" or George that "frankly your story makes no sense whatsoever" and on and on, instead of relaying his/her experiences, it helps no one.

My take on the experiences printed here are that if the primary issues of bulb replacement and customer service could be mitigated by JVC, people would stick with their relatively reasonably priced and fairly new LCoS sets. This alone carries weight in my potential selection of one of the 1080p sets. For that I thank all in the forum who have shared their experiences.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Systems CEO (?),

Thank you for the ad hominem attack.

Username: Darsay

Thompson, Manitoba Canada

well, replaced the bulb today on my 52g786 (blew on jan 8)received it on jan 21. The part # is TS-CL110UAA. The clock is now ticking, and my fingers are crossed to see if i get the full bulb life now. What a great picture though! Almost forgot the reason why i bought the t.v.!

Unregistered guest
I too have a major problem with JVC and there oh so wonderful HD-ILA television although mine is not a bulb issue. On May 29, 2005 I bought an HD-ILA 52" -MODEL # HD-52Z575 Serial # 1798393. 3 days before Thanksgiving the Tv turns green. We assume the red bulb blue and we call Best Buy who has us fax a copy of our reciept to JVC to verify it is under warranty. On 11-25-2005 a repair company, sent by JVC, come to the house to take a look at the TV. He calls JVC (while were are standing there) adn JVC tells him it sound like a setting has gone out and then a special remote is needed to correst the situation. This didn't sound right to me but i know nothing abouth tv repair & no other company in our area is AUTHORIZED by JVC to work on our tv. 3 weeks later the "remote" comes in and low and behold it is the exact remote that came with the tv at the time of purchase. Meanwhile the tv has really wigged out while waiting for the "special remote". Now the tv is RED & GREEN, has a 3-D affect, and split down the middle mirrored images. The service company calls his shop, explains the tv now and then calls JVC and JVC now tells him it is the "e-prom" board (I thinks it's like a motherboard). We are told the part has to be ordered but first authorized by his shop manager and then By JVC because it is a very expensive part ($500). 3 weeks later still no part. We continue to call JVS and repair shop to no avail. First it's on its way then JVC conviently has no record of this being ordered, then blames the repair company saying they did not fill out the "paper-work" properly to now them (JVC) saying that that is not whats wrong withthe tv.All this after being hung up on 3 times while on hold "waiting for them to check-on it or waiting for a supervisor." I even asked for a replacement tv from Best Buy & JVC and was told no because repairs are in the works. I cannot even take the TV back to Best But because they only have a 30 day in store return policy for electronics.
2 MONTHS LATER with still no results. I have writtin JVC a letter to their Corp HDQRTS adn I will definatley be writting a letter to the Better Business Bereau.
Obviously JVC could care less about there customer or the quality of there product.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Rachel,

I had the same problem with my TV (the red layer was reversed). One call to JVC (Wayne, NJ customer service line) and a replacement light engine was sent to my repair shop (which is 50 miles away). One week later the light engine was replaced in-house and worked perfectly.

I don't know why your experience is so different but I know that if it was happening to me I would be ticked off to say the least. I suggest that you try to contact someone higher up in the organization via email through their web site and tell them your story. Attach pictures of your TV (digital images), if possible.

Seriously, my experiences with JVC customer service have been very good. I now have a contact that I go to directly with any concerns or problems. I hope you have better luck.

hdtv-01
Unregistered guest
tvshopper in another thread you said you got rid of the tv. Why if it was working perfectly and you got such speedy service get rid of it?

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=584951#POST584951

Unregistered guest
Joseph wrote:
"Do you drive around in your car without a spare tire? Of course not then why buy a television set that you know has a consumable part and not buy a spare part."

When you buy a car you almost always get a spare tire for free. But we aren't comparing apples to oranges.

This whole issue is about PRINCIPLE. They put out a great product with a shitty bulb (and they know it). I have posted numerous times in this thread about my situation and JVC was always polite and willing to remedy the problem.

My only concern is they have min. wage workers answering these phones and are not the most professional. I don't mean by the way they acted, but it took 4 calls for them to finally put the order threw. My point is, JVC is aware of this problem and NO ONE in this thread should come out of the pocket for a bulb; regardless if they are out of warranty by just a few months.

Simply call JVC before 6PM (EST) and give them your info, within 2 days (lord willing) you will have your new bulb.

Username: Motu88

Looks like its happening to my HD-52G786 also.

The past two days I noticed the screen getting dimmer. I still have not heard a pop. Bought 7/31/05, probably playing around 4 hours a day. I called JVC today and talked to Adam and he said the problem could be the bulb. I asked if thats all that could be wrong, and he said, "if the problem occurs again it could be something with the TV causing the buld to go bad." He also said the bulb is like a light bulb, it shouldn't dim if its bad, it just goes out. But according to all the posts I read it gets dim first then dies. So whos knows what he's talking about. A replacement bulb should be here in a few days. I hope it doesnt have to go to the local JVC service guy. I know his shop and it scares me, its like a mad scientist lab.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
hdtv-01,

I upgraded to the G series and now own a G886. I wanted the new generation.

Username: Zbone

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=576170#POST576170

OK, here's the latest on my saga - maybe someone can help if they've had similar symptoms.

The local technician showed up today with the new ballast. He diagnosed this as the problem by phone 10 days ago, when he was originally scheduled to service the TV.

The TV has been on constantly while waiting for the service call, for fear that it would not come back on if I turned it off.

I'm out-of-town, so my wife turned the TV off this morning, knowing the tech would be there later today. She was able to turn the TV on & off several times without a problem.

Tech shows up, replaces the ballast. Everything appears fine with the TV. This was at about Noon.

About 3pm, my wife goes to turn on the TV....there are those two blinking lights on the front panel!! ...and the TV will not come on.

She called the local service shop, and was told that we need to wait ANOTHER WEEK for another house call!!

I believe that if I repeat what I did before - unplug / re-plug / turn on TV, repeat, repeat, repeat... eventually I'll get the set on again...and leave it on. But I'm no closer to getting to the real problem. Obviously, the ballast and lamp are fine.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be??? Anyone that has had similar symptoms?

JULY2K5HD-52G886
Unregistered guest
Model HD-52G886
Manufactured July 2005

Bought Oct 8 2005. Used maybe 4 hrs per day on average. TV decided to get really dim on me this morning. No change after being on all day while I was at work. Came home and unplugged it for an hour. Plugged it back in. Fifteen minutes passed and I turned it back on...still very dim. Read this thread (Thanks for having it!)

Called JVC at 1-800-252-5722 opt 3, spoke with Armando. He put my information into the system and said a supervisor will look at it in the morning and most likely send a new lamp/bulb FedEx 2nd day. If I wanted I could call him back at 1-800-858-6442 ext6102 to get a tracking number.

J

Micah
Unregistered guest
I posted a couple days ago regarding:
1: The mfg /model: JVC HD52GG886
2: Serial number of your set: 11060755 AA

My bulb blew and a replacement was ordered. I just got it in the mail. I followed the instructions that came with the bulb (part #TS-CL110U) and when I started the television, every single image is a shade of blue.

Needless to say, I am now very pi**ed off. I've read some other threads with similar issues and how they've had to wait for months before their set got fixed.

When buying my set they made it seem like the bulbs would last a couple of years, now I'm learning that you're lucky if the bulb lasts 9 months. Had I known that and how many people have to wait months to get repairs taken care of, I probably would not have bought this television (even though it does look fantastic when working)

I will call JVC tomorrow and hope we can get this fixed quickly, I will be sure to post my results.

Unregistered guest
Add me to the list of bulb failures.
Model: HD-61Z786
SN: 080808##
MFG Date: 3/2005
Purchased 4/2005
My experiewnce was is follows...
Last weekend, we noticed that the screen seemed dimmer than normal. Sunday morning we turned it on and there was a very dim picture that faded to nothing in about a minute. Then no picture at all, and the blue and red LEDs started flashing rapidly. I called JVC, waited on hold for about 15 minutes. The service representative was polite, took all the information, asked me about the blinking LED's and then said that he needed to have a supervisor call me back to authorize sending a replacement lamp. Having read others' experience that they did not get a call back I asked if I could just be put on hold and wait to talk to the supervisor while I was still on the line. That didn't seem to be a problem except that the service rep said that it might be a while. About 20 minutes later "the supervisor" came on line, confirmed my story, and said they would process the order, that it would be sent out Monday and that I should recieve it by Wednesday.
I was skeptical that this would all happen. However, on Wednesday the new lamp assembly TS-CL110U (not -AA version) was sitting on the front porch. I popped it in and we were back in business. The old lamp looked like it had a hernia at the bottom, but it seemed all intact.
I think it is unfortunate that JVC has had these problems with the lamps, however I cannot fault their customer service, and the response to this problem. The material packed with the lamp indicates that there is a one year warranty on the lamp and there is a dated receipt in the package, so if this lamp goes out in nine months I assume they will replace it.

Atlanta, Ga USA

I'm happy now, There is a brand New Mitsubishi DLP set in my living room, and life is good again. Because of this experience I will never purchase or recommend a new JVC set to any of my friends or coworkers. I will simply speak with my wallet.

SYSTEMS CEO, I don't sweat the Bucket heads, they apparently are Legends in there own minds and demand to be regarded as electrical God's. My experiences were factual and honest. It's been over 3 weeks now and the rental company still has not had the set repaired (and they are a major retailer with a contract with JVC), so there you have it.

I cannot wait to watch the Super bowl in Hi-Def.

Thanks,

Bill
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us