HDMI required for upscaling DVD player?

Username: Jadeddog

Post Number: 2
simple question really.... i want to know if you have to use a HDMI cable for upscaling DVD players, or if you can use component cables from the DVD player to the receiver or TV (depending on your setup)

Bronze Member
Username: Praetorian

Post Number: 83
Most you can use both.

Post Number: 3
and the result is the same either way? (component vs. HDMI that is)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Pretty much. I sure cannot tell a difference on a 60in rear projection LCD.

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
The result is equipment dependent. You have to check for yourself.

Post Number: 4
yeah i realize that the picture will be slightly better/worst depending on your display (fixed pixel vs non-fixed).... what i meant was, will the DVD still upscale to 1080i with both cables?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
once again: yup

Username: Europa760

i read in my manual as well as had the tweeter guy tell me that you need to use the HDMI in order to upscale.

i havent tested it, ive only used the HDMI.

AND IT SAYS HDMI AUDIO NOT SUPPORTED. WHAT?

Bronze Member
Username: Bantamcc

Post Number: 51
HDMI supports audio/video . DVI only supports video. Component cables are not HDMI that's why you can't notice a difference.

;-)

Username: Europa760

Post Number: 5
what are you talking about? im specifically tlaking about the hdmi connection.

Username: Mikedonb

Coventry, RI

Post Number: 1
I just registered to this site today because I had the same question. I have a Samsung 56" DLP and am looking to purchase a DVD player that supports HD upscaling. The HDMI cables are so expensive and I already have good Monster Component cables. Although I have a bid outstanding on Ebay for a 3m HDMI-X from Audioquest for $80.00. So, anyone know if I'll notice a difference? Also, any recommendation on a good DVD player?

Bronze Member
Username: Justfig

Maynardville, TN USA

Post Number: 18
For cheap HDMI cables try Monoprice.com. I bought 2 of their HDMI cables and compared them to a buddy's $149.00 Monster HDMI cable and niether one of us could tell any difference in them. Not on his equipment or on mine! NO difference at all! The monoprice cables are as low as $8.00 ea.!!

JF

Username: Mikedonb

Coventry, RI

Thanks. I checked that site and the prices are incredible. Do you have any idea why there is such a price difference? It always seemed very unreasonable to pay more for the cable than the actual DVD player.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us