32 Inch HD LCD's--Sony XBR, Sharp, Toshiba....Is it worth it?

Username: Opain

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

It is tough to figure out what to buy these days. CNET reviews appear to be woefully out of date, other reviews I find online are either wildly enthusiastic or dreadfully scary(like the Sharp Aquos problems thread below).

All I want is a 32 inch wide(literally) LCD TV with a built in HD Tuner.

I have been to Best Buy, Magnolia, Circuit City and Fry's to view these TV's and talk to various sales people.

Some say, Sony is way too expensive, why pay $600 more when you could get the Sharp, which is way better. Others point out that the Sony is Top of the Line and why not spend a few extra dollars to get the best.
Others say, a 32 inch LCD for the bedroom, just buy the cheapest unit that has the specifications that you want....technology keeps changing quickly and in a few years it will be mentally easier to change out a $1300 LCD than a $2500 LCD.

To my untrained eye, the Sony looked great and the HD picture was best, the Sharp actually seemed to show SD better(which is contrary to what I have read about what the WEGA engine is supposed to do) and the Toshiba was fine.

So, forum of experts, I ask you...is the Sony($2500) worth the extra money? Is Sharp($1900) really as bad as I read below? Should I just pick up a cheap Toshiba(1700)? As a side note, I will not buy this online, so the prices above are the prices at my local retailers.

What is important to me? Good quality picture, plug comcast cable directly into unit.(will use cable card later(6-12mos) Unit should not exceed 32" width. Primarly used to watch mostly SD TV in bedroom and whatever over the air HD comes in.

I appreciate any advice, shared frustrations or comments.

O

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 234
Well Omar i would like to start off and say the KDLV32XBR1 is definetly worth it.The Toshiba is the best TV as far as price as far as features are concerned.Built in tuner with cable card and on screen guide.I had the Toshiba for about 2 weeks and took it back and got the Sony 32 XBR1.The Sony does look first rate with a low quality signal.Toshiba is kinda sluggish on certain channels.The Sharp is a awsome set,but the silver one with the speakers on the side.LC32DA5U does not have a HD tuner or cable card slot.The Toshiba produces fairly nice blacks for an LCD and a nice all around picture.Sharp has better blacks but not as saturated colors like the Toshiba.Sony has awsome blacks for an LCD,handles movement very well and has a USB for slideshow or media store with a extra Component hookup.Toshiba is not the best looking set but is stylish with its silver blends.Sharp looks really nice at night with its more widescreened frame look.Sony is compact like other Sony sets with the darker surrounding that sets off the contrast on the actual TV.Stands for the sets fold out like this.Sharp doesnt offer any swivel or tile.The Toshiba offers swivel but no tilt.Sony offers tilt and swivel so you can have that right sweet spot no matter where you sit and to sit really nice for any lighting(not that its a big factor for a LCD anyways.} So best TV for the price to get you on down the road go with the Toshiba.Want the Cadillac,it comes with a steeper price but as i have shown you unbiostly its well worth it. Bro i have had mine for about a month and a half and its well worth it.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 245
Woot...

Username: Opain

Post Number: 2
Thanks Drummer03,

I bought the XBR. Absolutely love it and no regrets for the extra money.
So far, no problems at all. I appreciate the advice.

O

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 249
No problem man.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us