What to buy?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1226
I want to know what should I get a DLP or Plasma screen. i do not play video games on it and stuff, just for movies and tv.price varies, if a plasma, is ed ok with the new cable boxes in regards to HD signals. Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Ncavman

N.C.

Post Number: 105
It would help if you would add how you plan to watch TV... for example... the size of the room, viewing distance from the TV, how much ambient light is in the room, what sources do you have (HD cable with component or HDMI, DVD with HDMI or component, etc), and of course your budget.

With that info I am sure you will get some responses and opinions.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1229
about 8ft to wall from couch(Apartment) I have cable DVR CAble box, running through Sony Home theater Reciever. as far as light, i gues it is standard lighting. I do not think i want to spend more then$3000.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 325
DLP displays have a larger foot print which may matter in an aprtment. At 8 feet, a 42 inch plasma size is fine for me personally. A 50 inch could be fun as well Closer than 8 feet for current non-1080P plasmas can give you screen door effect--meaning you could see pixels at closer than 8 feet on a 50 inch plasma display.

DLPs generate something called a rainbow effect-perceptible by about 10% of viewers. This is due to the single color wheel moving as blue/red green info is VERY quickly alternated. Plasmas in general have a better Picture Quality but DLPs are less expensive per inch than Plasmas.

Plasmas also can have a glare if hit by direct sunlight.

42 inch commercial plasmas are 1500 dollars online no sales tax and 50 inch commercial ( non consumer) models are 3000 online no sales tax. Choose your vendor wisely young Jedi- and you will not be disappointed.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 326
PS- ED is best for standard DVDs and is great for cable HD- lArgely becuase the cable version of HD is not full rez HD. Also, plasmas vary in the quality of their interna scalers, which is important as to the picture quality result for your use. Pannys have the best internal scalets IMHO. Pioneer is a good choice as well, and the aging Fujitsu internal electronics still really put out a great pic. At a 42 inch size the Hitachi ALIS technology is really good and bests their own 55 inch displays ( which I have compared side by side within the last month talking with an Hitachi rep about the differences at the same time).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us