Buying televisions on-line

Username: Aliasjb

Post Number: 5
What on-line retailers do you all recommend for purchasing a large television? The prices are right, but I feel uncomfortable with all the choices of unknown dealers. What are your thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 302
visualapex.com is the only online retailer that I have never heard a complaint about.

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 119
see this message thread
"Do not buy from the following retailers......pics of their stores"

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
Thats an interesting thread. The general consensus is to stay away from New York addresses for online purchasing. Part of this frankly is becuase the West Coast is the first drop off point for Asian products and nobody wants their plasma running around the country too much before finding a home. But part of it has to do with rip off fly by night stores. I agree with the majority on that list but Abe's of Maine is a legit business FYI.

That being said there are reputable online resellers who are authorized by various manufacturers of the various display technologies. I saved 2000 dollars by purchasing online for my display which works just fine and I had GREAT support from the reseller, but I did my homework and had stuff in writing prior to purchase.

Also, their are certain desirable audio products that you can basically only get online and in audio online purchasing is much more common that the video side; In fact, if you walk into certain audio/video stores these days, you will see that they are very video heavy and audio light.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
i've bought camera equipment from abes. but even then, they like to try to sell you everything under the sun or get you to change your mind and buy another brand. also most manufacturers list the online stores that they want you to use if you expect them to honor a warranty, wheteher it's a tv or stereo.

tapmba
Unregistered guest
I just bought my TV from TVauthority and I liked their service. I have dealt with Visual Apex and they are excellent too.

Bronze Member
Username: Johnhunter44

Post Number: 14
Guys, don't forget costco. I heard this on this forum and checked it out myself by calling Costco and it is true. First, I am not even a member, YET, of costco, but will join. Its their return policy. Any product, other than computer products, that you buy from them can be returned at ANY time if you become unsatisfied, with no time limitation. So I asked him this, "you mean if I buy a plasma tv today with a 1 year warranty, and 5 years from now, it burns out, I can return it to coscto for a full refund?" He said, yes, but not only would they refund the cost of the product, but the shipping charge as well. The only catch is I have to remain a member of costco, which costs only $45 per year. This would apply to everything they sell. So if you also bought a coffee pot, a microwave, and a TV, they break anytime, they will give you your money back. So then I asked "If i buy the plasma today, and your policy changes one year from today, am I bound by that policy, or the policy that was in force when I made my purchase?" He said that i would be bound by the newer policy, but he said that the policy they have now has been the same since the day costco opened and the Board created costco with that policy in mind, and the only change to it has been with computers because people were returning computers that were older to get the newer technology so they had to make this one adjustment, but he said he did not foresee any changes in the return policy on TV's. Sounds like you do not need an extended warranty there and this has got to be the best customer service of all. What does this forum think? Anyone had to return anything to costco before? Tell us your experience, please.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 310
Costco is awesome as far as return policy. None better. I just dont think of it as an online reseller as they have brick and mortar locations everywehere. ( Yes I know about costco.com)

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
i have been there and they carry a pioneer, and vizio. you are not going to find high end equipment there though (pioneer elite, panasonic). and i wonder, is it discontinued syles?

Bronze Member
Username: Johnhunter44

Post Number: 16
Online they have the philips model I originally listed and that model is still showing on the philips web site. The also sell the sony lcd model that ends in A10 and it is current as well..

Silver Member

Post Number: 311
Costco usually sells one year behind as far as technology. But their return policy is still the best out there.

Username: Tom_b_ong

Post Number: 4
costco does not sell one year behind by any stretch. They carry current models in all technologies. Thats the kind of drivel one hears from competitors.

Again they carry current models for the most part. models still available DIRECT from the manufacturer.

The do not carry the esoteric models or high end. ALL retailers are selling ALL current stock that is one year behind for that matter since the new stock is just around the corner..

Silver Member

Post Number: 312
Sorry Tom. Its not drivel- they do not have the 96D Samsung LCD series for instance. Nor do they have the 1080P Plasma displays either as another example My point is relative to the introduced technologies at CES 2 weeks ago. Which are the ones that will be the latest and greatest on sale for this generation of technologies. No SAmsung DLP LED, no Sony SXRD LCos etc--I dont sell anything- just strive to provide accurate info--I am a STRONG supporter of Costco based on their return polices as I have written clearly.

Thank you for your input to the forum and have a nice day.

Silver Member

Post Number: 315
Thought I'd be more specific. The current Sony at Costco is the fine 3 LCD Grand Wega 50 inch display at 1280 x 720 or thereabouts. A nice display for sure.

But the current Sony technology for sale is the SXRD series such as the KDS-r50xbr1. O True 1920 x 1080P display. The three LCD came first and the SXRD more recently- I dont mean a calendar year when I said year- I meant a generation of technology step. I have no doubt that the SXRDs will at some point be for sale at Costco as well in the future.

Username: Cpowell

Casper, WY U.s.

Post Number: 1
I am looking at the Zenith 37" LCD (Z37LZ5D). Have been told Zenith's are repackaged LG's. Does anyone know if theis is an LG and , if so, whihc model#?
Th - Charlie P.

Silver Member

Post Number: 317
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us