Things everyone SHOULD know.

LCD Expert
Unregistered guest
When viewing analog stations on an HD tv, your picture is going to be BLURRY. You will not see a pretty picture like in the store. Analog stations include anything that is NOT High Definition.

Digital cable is still analog! It WILL look BAD. Especially if you have a cable box or satellite box, as the tuners in those boxes are of the worst possible quality.

Your 27 inch tube TV is going to look way better on analog stations than a New LCD or Plasma screen no matter what!

Analog stations are formatted for a 4:3 set. The only way to get a half decent picture on a 16:9 format tv is to have sidebars... 90% of americans dont want sidebars when they pay $3500 for a HD TV. There is not much you can do about this, it is not a limitation of the TV, it is a limitation of the signal format (analog) that has been around for 50+ years.

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 110
i am totally happy with the quality of regular stations on my pioneer 930hd. in fact sometimes when watching a movie on hbo or showtime i have to check the display to see if i'm on a hd channel or not.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 292
DVDs look way better on hi def or ed plasmas or LCDs than on any of my CRTS

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 185
True. LCD expert congrats on finding this.2-99 is analog so you will get a bad picture.The reason you get a worse picture on that set than a plane old CRT is,thats a digital set and crt's are analog made for analog signals.Also to go above 34 inch high definition you have to go into getting digital sets.

Username: Starlust_84

VA

Post Number: 2
I have a Pio Pro-Elite 1130 along with Dish Network. I noticed that the PQ of standard def channels worsened slightly when hooking up the 811 hi-def receiver versus when I had the non-hi def receiver with DVR. There are more settings to play around with on the 811 in terms of output format (420p, 720p, 1080i) When setting to 1080i, I get the best picture on the hi def channels, but not so great on standard def because of the streching. I am also using a DVI to HDMI cable, which may also factor in the PQ for standard def.

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 45
Tom try hooking up the 811 reciever with S-video and watch non hi-def channels through that connection. But remember to switch back to HDMI for hi-def.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us