Attn David Massey

Username: Duckhunter

Post Number: 4
David,

Appreciate all the support you have given others! I followed the thread on copying VHS to DVD recorder and using the MCM stabilizer.

Which Pioneer DVD recorder do you recommend?

FYI, we have a Sony HDTV, Motorola DVR from cable company, and a panasonic VCR.

Can I record saved programs from the DVR by making the following connections:

1) cable input to DVR
2) S video + rca audio jacks to input of Pioneer DVD recorder
3) component connections from Pioneer to HDTV?

The above connections should allow the output from DVR to go through the Pioneer recorder and then display on the TV, correct?

Will the stabilizer be needed when recording SD digital on Pioneer? IE, is there copyright protection on SD digital movies such as movies from Fox Movie Channel?

Thanks!

Rick

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2093
I don't use a DVR, so I'm not sure on that one. You would have to connect the outputs you want to use to the TV, if they work on the TV, they'll work on the DVD recorder. I think some DVRs may not output through the line outputs. You should be able to record pretty much anything from the box, last I knew the Pioneer recorders will allow recording copy once programming. I doubt FXM uses protection, but HBO and Showtime use copy once. From the DVR may be a problem. If any of the stuff on the DVR is copy once programs, you may not be able to record them on the Pioneer. Component from the recorder is the way to go, you have to use the components to use the progressive scan on the recorder.

Username: Duckhunter

Post Number: 5
Thanks David.

Under normal situations, I would have the following set up:

Cable input to cable DVR in
Component from DVR out to TV

When recording from DVR, I would simply add

cable input to cable DVR (in)
S video+ audio RCA's (DVR out) to recorder (in)
Component from Recorder (out) to TV (in)

I would only need to purchase an S video cable with RCA audio plugs (~$25).

Will the S-video cable impact picture quality on the HDTV while using the alternative set of connnections?

Any suggestions on DVD recorders? I need to back up some VHS tapes to DVD. Was leaning Pioneer since it works with your technique (VCR to MCM stablizer to DVD).

Thanks,

Rick

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2099
I don't know if the DVR will output through the s-video or not, you would have to check that one. I think some inputs/outputs on DVRs are inactive. I don't know about s-video and component. You need someone else on DVRs, I've never used one. You'll get better quality recording straight from the box to the DVD recorder than box to DVR to DVD recorder. I only used a Pioneer briefly, but I haven't seen very many people complain about them. I've used Panasonic, OK debatable reliability, JVC, poor reliability, Pioneer, seemed OK. I Just got a Toshiba, haven't used it much but really like it so far. $64.50 on e-bay for one that hasn't even been used, the remote, manual and cables weren't ever even opened, got a deal on that one. The Toshibas are supposed to be very sensitive to copy protection though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us